Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

It's especially true since YouTube added that notification thing, where you have to Double Plus Subscribe to people. It's easy to be subbed to someone and never see their videos on your feed.

Wait, that does more than just give you push notifications? I've always just gone to the Subscriptions page to see new stuff and used the bell to get alerts for updates on specific channels; does that make it show up on the front page more often too or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conal Cochran posted:

I don't think anyone here knows why Brad Jones has not left Channel Awesome, but can we at least agree that @ing him on twitter to shame him for it is overly invasive? If you don't agree with his decisions than boycott his videos if you really want to.

Edit:Joking about Brad Jones's personal life and decisions just seems a little gross to me.

People who are known by name by strangers are by default seen as entertainment objects instead of thinking, feeling people. People react to them like they’re reacting to characters on tv because they’re not thoughtful enough to imagine that there is a human being behind the public persona.

It’s like the reverse of that parasocial relationship theory that’s been picking up online steam lately. Or maybe it’s the same thing from a different angle. But yes it’s rude and hurtful to speculate about a living person’s story arc like he’s Dolores on Westworld in a way where he might possibly read it.

I mean gently caress Kanye but think twice when it’s a person getting $65,000 a year on patreon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

But this whole discussion arose around not supporting him via subscription, patreon, etc. Nobody is talking about pestering him on Twitter.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Someone posted a picture of someone @ing him on twitter. No one mentioned how that was weird.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Conal Cochran posted:

Edit:Joking about Brad Jones's personal life and decisions just seems a little gross to me.

Yeah that's incredibly trash.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

more like bad jones.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It doesn’t really seem like talking about his choices here will serve many productive ends. We know what choices he has made and can only follow our own individual consciences wherever they lead.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It's pretty hosed up to hound a guy for public comment when he's dealing with the reveal that people he's been good friends with for a long time have been involved with terrible things. That poo poo's hard to process when it's NOT out in the public eye with an interacting audience.

I'm not really gonna tell anyone how to react to his silence WRT supporting his work, but the gossip and judging him about maintaining silence are lovely.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he could not say anything at all instead of posting memes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groovelord Neato posted:

more like bad jones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Idran posted:

Wait, that does more than just give you push notifications? I've always just gone to the Subscriptions page to see new stuff and used the bell to get alerts for updates on specific channels; does that make it show up on the front page more often too or something?
No, the bell just gives you push notifications.

I've never pushed the bell because I just use the Subscriptions page and thrown things on Watch Later from there, but it seems like virtually nobody knows there's a Subscription page and that's why tubers went a little bit mental when the bell was introduced.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Anthony Fantano, the Needle Drop, reviews one of the most hyped albums of the year: Janelle Monae's Dirty Computer. It's a great review but he didn't talk enough about that Brian Wilson feature!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

does he say anything racist

e: nevermind that isn't his racism channel, move on

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

business hammocks posted:

People who are known by name by strangers are by default seen as entertainment objects instead of thinking, feeling people. People react to them like they’re reacting to characters on tv because they’re not thoughtful enough to imagine that there is a human being behind the public persona.

I think about this a lot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Errant Signal looks at Far Cry 5 and the unfortunate trend of big budget franchises trying to sound political but being hampered by a fear to actually say anything decisive, ending up looking cowardly as a result.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

You know, watching, it does make me wonder: how would it have been done it if Ubisoft decided to outright go and make Far Cry 5 about the right/alt-right/MAGA hat-wearers ?

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/982047338775527425

EDIT: I'm also mad that in talking about Far Cry 2, he didn't use this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 2, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FC5 teased so many things and then didn't do anything but go skin deep on them which is a drat shame, they wanted to have bits and pieces from redhats, neo-nazis, branch davidians, sovcits, preppers, 'militias', jonestown, all this poo poo and then they neglected to add any meat to the bones. Game's still a lot of fun, but man they botched the story an unbelievable amount.

Also I want to agree with a chunk of that video at least when they're actually talking about Far Cry 5, but so much of the "Far Cry 2's mechanics actually said this and this and that" stuff made me go what. Like I'm pretty sure the respawning checkpoints and malaria weren't a statement about futility dude and the fire mechanics while neat, weren't actually that much of a game defining feature for me or some introspection causing event that made me think about the fires of war being spontaneous, using "These bases and areas only had 1 way in but it's actually a better design even though it ruins different ways of playing" was another one that stood out as weird too, it just kind of sounds like better game design as opposed to being "empowering" that they let you actually use a different skillset to do what you were trying to do.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 2, 2018

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Farcry 5's story was such a garbage fire that I'm not sure them actually trying would have been preferable. It's a story with three separate mind control plots in which your character is captured about seven different times. These are not story artisans, I'm not raring for them to completely gently caress up a criticism of Conservatism.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Far Cry 6 should just have aliens, laser rifles, and werewolves and if they want to make the plot "serious" they should just include a subplot about zoning.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's a really good review but I wish that melon didn't describe the bass on track 5 as being "thinner than a gnat's cunthair"

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Conal Cochran posted:

I don't think anyone here knows why Brad Jones has not left Channel Awesome, but can we at least agree that @ing him on twitter to shame him for it is overly invasive? If you don't agree with his decisions than boycott his videos if you really want to.

@ing someone on a public platform is not invasive, no. Choosing to not say anything about what Channel Awesome has done isn't really a neutral position either.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

FC5 teased so many things and then didn't do anything but go skin deep on them which is a drat shame, they wanted to have bits and pieces from redhats, neo-nazis, branch davidians, sovcits, preppers, 'militias', jonestown, all this poo poo and then they neglected to add any meat to the bones. Game's still a lot of fun, but man they botched the story an unbelievable amount.

Also I want to agree with a chunk of that video at least when they're actually talking about Far Cry 5, but so much of the "Far Cry 2's mechanics actually said this and this and that" stuff made me go what. Like I'm pretty sure the respawning checkpoints and malaria weren't a statement about futility dude and the fire mechanics while neat, weren't actually that much of a game defining feature for me or some introspection causing event that made me think about the fires of war being spontaneous, using "These bases and areas only had 1 way in but it's actually a better design even though it ruins different ways of playing" was another one that stood out as weird too, it just kind of sounds like better game design as opposed to being "empowering" that they let you actually use a different skillset to do what you were trying to do.

In the case of something like the weapons jamming, I see that being a good example of the 'war-torn' theming. The audio log clip he gives goes into detail about how the weapons are so old and have been moved so many times that they've become worn and unreliable. It makes for a justification of why the weapons jam all the time, apart from an aim for realism.

As for the points about fire effects, re-spawning checkpoints, or cover, that I agree with. If the point was moreso about how many of the bases or outposts were more ramshackle and hastily fit with the theme or setting, then I'd understand. However, his point is more about how cover is unreliable, since gunfire can puncture it easily. Far Cry 1 had that feature too, and I would think the reason it was taken out is because it's frustrating to get shot by enemies you can't see through walls. The fire thing I would have just chalked up to something they reduced to improve performance in FC5. As to the re-spawning checkpoints, I dunno what to say to that. :shrug:

I should say that I haven't really played Far Cry 2 (I've only played it briefly on the PS3 when I rented for a weekend back in 2009; I got the PC version from GOG, but it's just been sitting in my backlog). I remember from the Zero Punctuation review or just general reviews/chatter is that the game gets really repetitive after a while, making you do the same tasks in a new area again and again. I know there's some mods out there that really improve the experience, but I've forgotten what they were called.

Fans posted:

Farcry 5's story was such a garbage fire that I'm not sure them actually trying would have been preferable. It's a story with three separate mind control plots in which your character is captured about seven different times. These are not story artisans, I'm not raring for them to completely gently caress up a criticism of Conservatism.

The writing for the Far Cry games has never really been really great, but a lot of the discontent over FC5 is that it soft-balled on the political stuff it seemed to be leaning towards. I just don't know what they would have done if they had been completely straight with it.

It has made for some...interesting articles.

DoubleCakes posted:

Far Cry 6 should just have aliens, laser rifles, and werewolves and if they want to make the plot "serious" they should just include a subplot about zoning.

I mean that's what Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon did, and it was really well received. I think most everyone would want a follow-up to that

Hell, it seems like Far Cry devs want it as well...
https://twitter.com/LunarArchivist/status/982765041870131200

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Those endless kidnap scenes were just the absolute worst. It takes a lot to make me dislike an open world game but Far Cry 5 managed it with that railroading bullshit. And then it tops it all off with one of the worst endings I’ve ever seen in a game: You beat the cult leader but before you can finish him off, his remaining followers detonate a nuke and blow up the entire valley. Then he escapes in the chaos and kidnaps you again. Roll credits. It’s a shame because I was really enjoying the gameplay outside of those story sequences.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over what exact political message it was trying to send, but my view is that it shouldn’t have been expected to send one at all. It’s a story about a doomsday cult and the small group of people banding together to fight them. The villains were never meant to represent Trump any more than the villains of the previous two games were meant to represent real people or factions in Indonesia or Nepal. The second game was an anomaly in that its plot was specifically tied to Africa and its political situation, but the rest of the series is all about putting the player up against hammy, insane villains who don’t represent anything more than insanity itself. Like I said, I think FC5’s story was terrible, but not because of its message or lack thereof.

I’d like it if Far Cry went back to being pure sci-fi for its next installment. Maybe not as over-the-top as Blood Dragon, but something that would let them play around with lots of cool gadgets and weapons. I just hope that, whatever it is, you get to have a big cat as a pet because that was my favorite part of both 5 and Primal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

Those endless kidnap scenes were just the absolute worst. It takes a lot to make me dislike an open world game but Far Cry 5 managed it with that railroading bullshit. And then it tops it all off with one of the worst endings I’ve ever seen in a game: You beat the cult leader but before you can finish him off, his remaining followers detonate a nuke and blow up the entire valley. Then he escapes in the chaos and kidnaps you again. Roll credits. It’s a shame because I was really enjoying the gameplay outside of those story sequences.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over what exact political message it was trying to send, but my view is that it shouldn’t have been expected to send one at all. It’s a story about a doomsday cult and the small group of people banding together to fight them. The villains were never meant to represent Trump any more than the villains of the previous two games were meant to represent real people or factions in Indonesia or Nepal. The second game was an anomaly in that its plot was specifically tied to Africa and its political situation, but the rest of the series is all about putting the player up against hammy, insane villains who don’t represent anything more than insanity itself. Like I said, I think FC5’s story was terrible, but not because of its message or lack thereof.

I’d like it if Far Cry went back to being pure sci-fi for its next installment. Maybe not as over-the-top as Blood Dragon, but something that would let them play around with lots of cool gadgets and weapons. I just hope that, whatever it is, you get to have a big cat as a pet because that was my favorite part of both 5 and Primal.

I don’t think the cultists detonated a nuke. I think their leader turned out to be a genuine prophet who accurately foresaw nuclear war. The FarCry games have a tendency to go ‘oh, hey, the insane monster you were pursuing for the entire game was right all along, how about that?’, and it’s loving bizarre.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Well, I posted something in the wrong thread. But, hey, uh, check out this weird Avon computer LGR found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSkmQcx-4g

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 2, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

I don’t think the cultists detonated a nuke. I think their leader turned out to be a genuine prophet who accurately foresaw nuclear war. The FarCry games have a tendency to go ‘oh, hey, the insane monster you were pursuing for the entire game was right all along, how about that?’, and it’s loving bizarre.

(Far Cry 5 spoilers)

it's that but very poorly presented. There's talk of escalating conflict in news reports that very infrequently come up on the non cult radio.

Hope County of course is a primary target due to the missile bases you see in the story. One of the writers confirmed the cult didn't cause the bomb.

The game has so many plot holes and what seem to be buggy event triggers that a core plot component can be easily missed.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Huh. I did not know that.

I’m tempted to wonder what kind of psycho god would appoint a guy like that as a prophet, but this is the Far Cry universe we’re talking about, so that does seem to fit.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
And so in keeping with new tradition, the best ending to a far cry game is the one you can get in 40 seconds.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Am I reading this correctly in seeing them actually increasing video views during the same time-span?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Am I reading this correctly in seeing them actually increasing video views during the same time-span?

That's the total views of the channel and the amount added each day, not a cumulative increase over the previous day.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

I mean, it is more empowering to give the player greater control in how things go down. If you think it makes for a better game that's cool, but the point of that comparison is Far Cry 2 is willing to disempower the player to serve its general tone - which is a risky game design choice - and Far Cry 5 isn't willing to take those risks. They're different design goals. And I guess the other half is how that is bad game design in the sense that FC5 is trying to avoid saying anything but fails at that, since it just means there's nothing else but the incidental stuff.

Also I don't think they meant malaria thing was meaningful in the sense that it was deep, but in the sense that it was specifically included to contribute to the game's tones and themes. edit: Basically, don't confuse lack of success for lack of intent.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 2, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grondoth posted:

This came out and you fuckers are talking about star wars still? christ

It HAS a SOUNDTRACK

yeah it's like his best video yet

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DoubleCakes posted:

Blood Dragon 2: Bad Moon Rising.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Blood Dragon 2: Bad Moon Rising.

TBH I would still buy Blood Dragon 2 even if it was just BD1 but with Pagan Min crammed in

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Grondoth posted:

This came out and you fuckers are talking about star wars still? christ

It HAS a SOUNDTRACK

Also the guy doing the soundtrack has some interesting videos of his own: The Kunst Saga | How the Right Wing Views Modern Art

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Max Wilco posted:

You know, watching, it does make me wonder: how would it have been done it if Ubisoft decided to outright go and make Far Cry 5 about the right/alt-right/MAGA hat-wearers ?

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/982047338775527425

EDIT: I'm also mad that in talking about Far Cry 2, he didn't use this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

They really didn't even have to go full 'we are Ubisoft and we are saying you need to kill anyone who voted for Trump', just don't have poo poo like an entire region where your bffs are...another survivalist militia...but they're the GOOD kind it's fine. Also give the Seeds some actual...goals? Like, an agenda other than shoving Bliss up everyone's rear end? Like, Jacob talks about degeneracy and all but...his cult is pretty diverse for a bunch of Montana religious zealots...

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Bakeneko posted:

Nobody expected them to tackle anything out of the gate, they were free to make the next Far Cry into anything for any reason they pleased. It was a deliberate marketing strategy by the publishers to tease that the game was going to be about Christian fundamentalism and America's militia culture. Either the game was conceived to include those themes in the early stages but concerns over potential backlashes hurting Ubisoft's profit margins made them scale it all back to this, or the final product was the intention all along and the marketers figured it'd be an easy way to drum up some buzz and inflate pre-orders and first day sales.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so uh I had no idea this was a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_BU4tc6RE
how does this fit into the forced analogy where trump is voldemort?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is it really that odd for mobile games to have energy systems? just put the phone down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tired Moritz posted:

is it really that odd for mobile games to have energy systems? just put the phone down

That's the same argument as "You're addicted to alcohol/gambling? Just don't do it!!" :pseudo:

It's why mobile/freemium games are considered predatory and starting to get the evil-eye from gambling commissions.