Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The combat in The Witcher never really grabbed me. I have 3 on ps4 but I haven't really played more than 20 minutes of it, so maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance but :shrug:

Ineffiable posted:

Just buy/play mass effect or kotor again.
I've played through them all too many times to get any real enjoyment out of them anymore. Playing them now is like watching an LP.

new page edit: xbox is good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dragon age 1?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just started playing the ultimate edition again after seeing it was BC and I'm having fun with my snarky dwarf lady, but I'm almost in the same position of knowing where everything is and what the next step of the quest is going to be. I'm starting to burn out in the Deep Roads and thats what's making me look for something new in the same style made for the current gen consoles.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Have you tried jade empire? It's by bioware and is on Xbox one. Pretty close feel to kotor too just in an Asian setting.

Quick edit: old games are the best on Xbox one.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ineffiable posted:

Have you tried jade empire? It's by bioware and is on Xbox one. Pretty close feel to kotor too just in an Asian setting.

Quick edit: old games are the best on Xbox one.

I've never played this and I used to have an unopened copy laying around but I can't find it, it's only ten bucks so I was thinking of buying it anyway but I really want to play something that takes advantage of modern day hardware.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bango skank posted:

I really want to play something that takes advantage of modern day hardware.

This is the xbox thread

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

bango skank posted:

I've never played this and I used to have an unopened copy laying around but I can't find it, it's only ten bucks so I was thinking of buying it anyway but I really want to play something that takes advantage of modern day hardware.

I mean to be brutally honest nothing modern is as good as the old mass effect and bioware games for that certain kind of feel.

Maybe try deus ex games? I got no other recommendations at this point.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Real hurthling! posted:

This is the xbox thread
:holymoley:

Ineffiable posted:

I mean to be brutally honest nothing modern is as good as the old mass effect and bioware games for that certain kind of feel.

Maybe try deus ex games? I got no other recommendations at this point.
Yeah the old Deus Ex games are too dated for me to really enjoy nowadays, but I played the gently caress out of Human Revolution and Mankind Divided didn't really warrant a second playthrough. My googling for recommendations is leading me to the conclusion that I've played the wheels off of all the good bioware/obsidian-style rpgs. :smith:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I got nothing else to help you with. Yakuza and nier is pretty good but lol Xbox doesn't have them.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I got nothing else to help you with. Yakuza and nier is pretty good but lol Xbox doesn't have them.

I was thinking of getting the sega humble bundle mainly for the yakuza coupon, I've never played them and I've heard good things. I just got this xbone a couple months ago though and I've been trying to find something to play on it other than fuckin pubg.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Here you go
2J3GH7ABKD

Works on yakuza zero. You have to use it during the checkout process.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ineffiable posted:

Here you go
2J3GH7ABKD

Works on yakuza zero. You have to use it during the checkout process.

Thanks! I already owned pretty much everything in the bundle so you saved me the $15.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh Yakuza isn’t anything like those games. Honestly try Pillars of Eternity. It’s like Kotor except top down.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Empress Brosephine posted:

Eh Yakuza isn’t anything like those games. Honestly try Pillars of Eternity. It’s like Kotor except top down.

I've wanted to try a Yakuza game for a while and the 50% coupon puts it at a price where I don't feel like I'm out too much if I end up not liking it. PoE, I already own on steam and played a bit. I usually like story heavy BG-style games but for some reason PoE never grabbed me. I haven't tried the new Torment but I'm leery of kickstarter games since most of the ones I've been interested in have ended up feeling really shallow.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

bango skank posted:

The combat in The Witcher never really grabbed me. I have 3 on ps4 but I haven't really played more than 20 minutes of it, so maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance but :shrug:

give it a chance

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The combat is bad imo so i just put it on easy, bought hold-x-to-twirl and played it like an adventure game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The combat in TW3 stinks but everything else about it is much better than anything Bioware has ever made.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Except for not being able to create and customize your own character, which can be a big part of the appeal of RPGs.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sorry for non-xbox subject but I have to admit I'm loving God of War now after not being super impressed by the opening hour. And the Detroit demo was pretty good too. Still glad I got the X for 3rd party but also glad I kept the ps4.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dev says Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be 4k/60FPS on X. hmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vrf0xDIKyM&t=239s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not sure how that will be possible without some dynamic scaling trickery. You need pretty drat good PC hardware just to get a constant 60fps @ 4k with Rise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Panzer Dragoon Orta status: still really good, full of content for 10 bucks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

How’s Just Cause 3 on the One X?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Beastie posted:

Still not great. No X patch and the game is CPU bound.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

So a patch wouldn't help in the least.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Beastie posted:

The loadtimes are much better but the FPS still lags during big explosions.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

exquisite tea posted:

Not sure how that will be possible without some dynamic scaling trickery. You need pretty drat good PC hardware just to get a constant 60fps @ 4k with Rise.

i'd imagine the console versions won't have the full range of effects fuckery and will just look Pretty Decent

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
There’s a load of game that have been added to the backwards compatibility list, including a bunch of Star Wars games like KOTOR 2 and the good Battlefront games. Also Saints Row 2 for under £10 (actually they all seem to be). Also, am I remembering correctly that Mercenaries had some kind of game breaking bug in it? I remember the game being fun but never finished it.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Anime_Otaku posted:

Also, am I remembering correctly that Mercenaries had some kind of game breaking bug in it? I remember the game being fun but never finished it.

I also didn't finish it but I think it was more a matter of games being clunky as poo poo back then rather than some actual technical issue preventing progress. I remember loving Mercenaries in the first few hours and then straight up not caring not long after.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Thanks for the JC3 info. Disappointing. Don’t care about the load times, and the framerate being bound by the cpu sucks. That would have been a shining example of X Enhanced.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
"[10 year old game of dubious quality] would be so great on the X" is the new "this would be perfect on Switch!"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That being said, Mercenaries is very good no matter where it's played.

:hai:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Mercenaries 2 was disappointing as hell but had a fun TV ad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That being said, Mercenaries is very good no matter where it's played.

:hai:

I was close to buying it but then i watched the clips on the xbox store and fell into a rabbit hole of realizing they are user generated and trying to find the worst and most unflattering ones.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

bango skank posted:

I played the gently caress out of Human Revolution and Mankind Divided didn't really warrant a second playthrough.

If you enjoyed them then you might enjoy Dishonored?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

TheScott2K posted:

Mercenaries 2 was disappointing as hell but had a fun TV ad.

OH NO, OH NO, OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Anime_Otaku posted:

There’s a load of game that have been added to the backwards compatibility list, including a bunch of Star Wars games like KOTOR 2 and the good Battlefront games. Also Saints Row 2 for under £10 (actually they all seem to be). Also, am I remembering correctly that Mercenaries had some kind of game breaking bug in it? I remember the game being fun but never finished it.

The Xbox 360 emulation of Mercenaries was broken and had the game randomly lock a couple of minutes into it which rendered it unplayable and was never fixed - OG Xbox emulation on the 360 was generally a mess and abandoned pretty quickly.

The Xboner emulation seems perfectly fine from what I've read.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'd imagine the console versions won't have the full range of effects fuckery and will just look Pretty Decent

Seems like there was a misunderstanding and the new Tomb Raider will offer either 4K or a 60fps performance mode on the Bonx, in line with most enhanced games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Seems like there was a misunderstanding and the new Tomb Raider will offer either 4K or a 60fps performance mode on the Bonx, in line with most enhanced games.

4K60: pick one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I had a feeling it was some kind of miscommunication because unless you're running Minecraft native 4k @ 60fps is really only something you can presently get from a beastly PC with a 1080ti, and not the world's most powerful console.