Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GrandpaPants posted:

Pillars 3 should be a JRPG so that nobody questions the fishing minigame.

They should've scrapped the entire combat system and replaced it with fishing. (I hope I don't need to say that this is a joke but I'm putting this here in case I'm taken at face value.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sassassin posted:

Is Sexy Shelob badly written, or was it just a case of LotR being badly read by her creators?

Sexy shelob is a bankrupt concept, but the whole plot of the game centers around "forging another ring of power: good idea, or great idea?" Which is the most aggressive bastardization of Tolkien's work I can think of. It makes me want to bring back the public stocks. :Aargh:

Anyway, point being: if you're gonna use the Lord of the Rings IP, don't gently caress it up with dumb bullshit, if you wanna do stupid sexy spider poo poo invent your own IP or go play with Lolth and the Drow, that's what they're for. Don't rewrite Hamlet if you aren't Tom Stoppard.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 2, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Your Parents posted:

I could have sworn Gonzalez was the lead writer on new vegas considering all I've heard about him previously was rope kid saying he wrote most of the good stuff in the game and that everyone liked and respected him

Yeah he was the lead writer on the main game and wrote the survivalist logs (ie everyone's favourite character) in Honest Hearts

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best part of FONV was Old World Blues imo, did he write any of that?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I’ve never really played a JRPG other than the first Final Fantasy and am extremely suspicious of the genre as a whole, which modern JRPG has the best fishing minigame in the least annoying plot/gameplay?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

bongwizzard posted:

I’ve never really played a JRPG other than the first Final Fantasy and am extremely suspicious of the genre as a whole, which modern JRPG has the best fishing minigame in the least annoying plot/gameplay?

FF15

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Iirc Chris Avellone wrote the Think Tank and Travis Stout wrote all the appliances in the Sink

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

The best part of FONV was Old World Blues imo, did he write any of that?

The Fallout wiki seems to credit him with involvement on Fallout 2, Van Buren, New Vegas, Dead Money, and Old World Blues. Then it further clarifies this sorta by saying he was a lead designer for New Vegas DLCs and writing the lyrics for the song in Dead Money.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I really loved dead money. Yes I know it's lonely over here.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

guys im really enjoying my playthrough of 1 so far with my barbarian dwarf. some guide said to get the forgemaster gloves and i just got to defiance bay so I grabbed it. went back to my keep to do the depths a bit and summoned that flame sword and hit a whole group of those kobold dudes for like 55 damage each. game good

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. It's not a JRPG I'd recommend to anyone as a good example of the genre, but it probably does have the best fishing minigame.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Breath of fire 3, I would say. Go play that one.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Your Parents posted:

I could have sworn Gonzalez was the lead writer on new vegas considering all I've heard about him previously was rope kid saying he wrote most of the good stuff in the game and that everyone liked and respected him

He was creative lead. The concept for House definitely came from him and I think he wrote the character too.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
dead money was well written but the sneaking was bad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sexy shelob is a bankrupt concept, but the whole plot of the game centers around "forging another ring of power: good idea, or great idea?" Which is the most aggressive bastardization of Tolkien's work I can think of. It makes me want to bring back the public stocks. :Aargh:

Uh, this is an aggressively bad reading of the plot. Everyone involved in forging the new ring ends up eventually enslaved by Sauron even, just like all the Ringbearers before them!

Its not great writing by any stretch, but Celebrimbor ends up getting hosed by his hubris and Talion turns into a ringwraith because forging a new ring ended up being a catastrophically bad idea.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

It seems like Cohh might being getting to stream Deadfire early given his recent tweet and how cagey he's been about when he's going to play it. So, it looks like there may be a soft embargo for streamers and if you're wanting to go dark to avoid spoilers then Saturday-ish is probably the day to start.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

It seems like Cohh might being getting to stream Deadfire early given his recent tweet and how cagey he's been about when he's going to play it. So, it looks like there may be a soft embargo for streamers and if you're wanting to go dark to avoid spoilers then Saturday-ish is probably the day to start.

Rope kid you son of a submariner

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

One of the Super Best Friends also confirmed on their podcast that they're got permission to stream it on Thursday.

Spoilers ahoy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's also not really a big deal for writers to move between companies, especially between projects and especially especially from smaller semi-indies like Obsidian was to Guerilla Games, which is itself essentially a department of Sony.

LIke uhhh if you've ever done or met anyone who does writing as a career in any medium Avellone's characterization of these moves is all semi-plausible but weird in context (and has already been countermanded by at least one person). That's really all we can know about this stupid derail, let's please address whether or not the table top rpg will have spell lists.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 2, 2018

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I think I read somewhere that the stream embargo ended on the 5th, and the review embargo on the 8th.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

I mean as far as streamers go for early access CohhCarnage is one of the few that can play non-mainstream games and get a relatively high amount of viewers, so it would be a good idea for Obsidian to get him to play it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

An Obsidian guy accidentally streamed the intro of the game last night, the opening text is just a brief description of how the first game began and ended, and then it looks like the fig campaign animation of Eothas wrecking your keep plays

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Uh, this is an aggressively bad reading of the plot. Everyone involved in forging the new ring ends up eventually enslaved by Sauron even, just like all the Ringbearers before them!

Its not great writing by any stretch, but Celebrimbor ends up getting hosed by his hubris and Talion turns into a ringwraith because forging a new ring ended up being a catastrophically bad idea.

I agree that's their intent, but it runs into the video-game-protagonist problem; video games always implicitly endorse the actions of the player character, because the player is choosing to take those actions. The protag can face bad consequences, sure, but even that's limited -- they have to leave hooks open for sequels, etc.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

I agree that's their intent, but it runs into the video-game-protagonist problem; video games always implicitly endorse the actions of the player character, because the player is choosing to take those actions. The protag can face bad consequences, sure, but even that's limited -- they have to leave hooks open for sequels, etc.

I reject this reading of endorsement. I think it's more nuanced than that. Hell, look at this reading in context of something like Spec Ops.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I guess? But Shadow of War pretty definitively closes the book on Talion and Celebrimbor since the good ending is a flash forward to 'hey, Talion's finally actually dead because the Lord of the Rings happened'.

Also enabling a player to do something is not the same as endorsing it. Otherwise you could extend the same logic to things like Breaking Bad. Obviously if you're watching it after season 1 its because you endorse Walter's slide into utter villainy. :rolleyes:

Playing is not an inherently more engaging action than watching or reading. There are limited ways to interact with any game world, so a player playing by those rules is functionally no different that someone reading a book or watching a show since there's no other way for the story to play out. Like yeah, you 'choose' to do something in a game or put the game down and do something else in the same way you 'choose' to keep reading or put the book down to do something else.

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 2, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Zore posted:

I guess? But Shadow of War pretty definitively closes the book on Talion and Celebrimbor since the good ending is a flash forward to 'hey, Talion's finally actually dead because the Lord of the Rings happened'.

Also enabling a player to do something is not the same as endorsing it. Otherwise you could extend the same logic to things like Breaking Bad. Obviously if you're watching it after season 1 its because you endorse Walter's slide into utter villainy. :rolleyes:

Playing is not an inherently more engaging action than watching or reading. There are limited ways to interact with any game world, so a player playing by those rules is functionally no different that someone reading a book or watching a show since there's no other way for the story to play out. Like yeah, you 'choose' to do something in a game or put the game down and do something else in the same way you 'choose' to keep reading or put the book down to do something else.

Depiction being the same as endorsement is like a central tenet of a lot of modern media criticism dude. Yes it's insane and wrong but it's everywhere.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hmm is it a central tenet of modern media criticism, or is it a central tenet of certain online subcultures? If a student were to have given me a paper that said that The Crucible is about how good it is to burn witches they'd get an F.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

queeb posted:

guys im really enjoying my playthrough of 1 so far with my barbarian dwarf. some guide said to get the forgemaster gloves and i just got to defiance bay so I grabbed it. went back to my keep to do the depths a bit and summoned that flame sword and hit a whole group of those kobold dudes for like 55 damage each. game good

Pillars really nails the idea that every class is awesome and that they all can kick serious rear end. The game makes you feel powerful without cheating for you.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Impermanent posted:

hmm is it a central tenet of modern media criticism, or is it a central tenet of certain online subcultures? If a student were to have given me a paper that said that The Crucible is about how good it is to burn witches they'd get an F.

Considering modern entertainment journalism is entirely people hiring their friends out of online subcultures I don't really know if they're different. Academia is great but no one is there in the real world to give an F to bad faith arguments published as clickbait.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The flame sword with a barbarian is extremely sweet. Also get the royal deadfire belt from the guy at the beach for even more flame sword

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
All of those deadfire items are so op lol. Get the Sabre and do everything to buff your crits and accuracy and watch your tank hard cc every enemy in every fight

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I might be in the minority, but I really love the story in PoE. It's very understated and some parts could be better, but I actually love Thaos as a villain because I can empathize with him, and replaying the game and seeing how much is fore shadowed about what's going on is so drat cool. And your previous life as an inquisitor is a great way of adding narrative weight to your character without giving him a true backstory.

I do hope Deadfire is more open in the beginning though. I do tire of every single new character doing the Cilant Lis->Gilded Vale->Caed Nua dance because there's only so many ways to play those quests.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It does open up earlier, yes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Impermanent posted:

If a student were to have given me a paper that said that The Crucible is about how good it is to burn witches they'd get an F.

Hey now, if they made a good case for it, I'd certainly give them points for originality.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I love the pillars story and lore. Obsidian has always been great about making RPGs that don't have the traditional chosen one heroic narrative about good and evil. Like, one of the things I appreciate about not having a moral alignment system, mechanically, is that this is represented in the writing. There are no real objectively evil races, evil creatures, or evil people. There are some real assholes with selfish and broken motivations, but it's not like they're canonically aligned with cosmic evil. it's hard to relate to or understand or have non-hostile contact with the lagufaeth, vithrack, xaurips, etc, but they're just kind of trying to live their lives.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hey now, if they made a good case for it, I'd certainly give them points for originality.

That's fair - every student gets one weird Jungian paper. (Goodie Proctor is the Dragon of Disorder)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Your Parents posted:

Yeah I love the pillars story and lore. Obsidian has always been great about making RPGs that don't have the traditional chosen one heroic narrative about good and evil. Like, one of the things I appreciate about not having a moral alignment system, mechanically, is that this is represented in the writing. There are no real objectively evil races, evil creatures, or evil people. There are some real assholes with selfish and broken motivations, but it's not like they're canonically aligned with cosmic evil. it's hard to relate to or understand or have non-hostile contact with the lagufaeth, vithrack, xaurips, etc, but they're just kind of trying to live their lives.

I love how the vithrack are justifiably extremely protective of each other but also incredibly dismissive towards kith as a direct mirror of how the kith are to everyone else.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

I disagree there, but I'll admit to some nuance. There's a fundamental difference between reading about a character doing something, or watching a character do something, or even watching a first-person film a la Hardcore Henry, and a player actively choosing to press buttons and make things happen. That's part of why the "Would you Kindly" reveal in Bioshock is so powerful; in retrospect, the player looks back and realizes they actually did all those things.

I don't want to overstate this because there's still a remaining layer of separation between the player and the character; this is all a matter of degree not a binary. But the difference in degree is there (imho)

I'll also admit that because it's a matter of nuance, it could theoretically be overcome -- you could theoretically have a game that completely delegitimized its protagonist (kindof like what John Gardner does in Grendel). But given my relatively limited exposure to the Shadow of Mordor games (I've watched a friend play it some and read some articles) I'm not inclined to extend much benefit of the doubt to the creators of Sexy Shelob. :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 2, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

flame sword best sword.

You can get another item that lets you cast Firebrand 3 times/rest. It's the Deadfire Belt and you can get it at Ansalog's Compass. If you use that and the Gloves you already have you can be casting Firebrand 6 times/rest which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I like the story too - feel like the structure of it was a (probably deliberate?) call back to baldurs gate - you run into mysterious bad guy doing bad guy stuff early - spend most of the game running around doing unrelated adventures while being introduced to the areas central crisis - eventually find out the mysterious bad guy is behind it and you are connected to him - and due to that it falls on you to stop him.

• Locked thread