Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
the best thing from that freeman interview is how it's mostly about how important being a mod is to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm a minority and I somewhat I agree with him about multiculturalism. From what I understand, the UK's version of multiculturalism is a whole different thing where they have like separate schools, standards, and neighborhoods meant for certain ethnicities.

:psyduck:

I can't even begin to imagine how you formed this opinion. Do you exclusively watch fox news?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to hate watch Douglas Murray and Richard Dawkins videos. There's one where Dawkins goes to an ultra religious muslim school in England somewhere and he's shocked they don't teach any science. Pretty sure he blamed multiculturalism or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiaY4DhjHUE

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 08:16 on May 2, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HEY HEY HEY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvLjou243dU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to hate watch Douglas Murray and Richard Dawkins videos. There's one where Dawkins goes to an ultra religious muslim school in England somewhere and he's shocked they don't teach any science. Pretty sure he blamed multiculturalism or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiaY4DhjHUE

Multiculturalism doesn't mean apartheid.

It would be illegal for a school not to teach science up to the age of 16.

Dick Dorkins is not a reliable source.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Lobster God posted:

Ding ding ding.

Dick Dorkins really hates muslims and I can absolutely believe he would lie just to make them look bad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gum posted:

No but I was under the impression that there are a decent number of majority minority areas? In Britain the 'ethnic' areas are the ones that are only 60% White British

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._communities_with_African-American_majority_populations_in_2000

If we're including Maryland, 15 of 19 are in the South. And half of the ones not in the South are in Michigan. So outside of one region and one state, the U.S. is a very White country.

Lobster God posted:

I've been here long enough to remember when people thought he was some hot poo poo.

That lasted about six months.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Corrode posted:

No, most British actors are poshos:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...py_to_clipboard

There's certainly guys who don't fit that type, especially older men, but there's a hard class skew to acting.

See also the British music industry, where a huge number of acts come from privately educated backgrounds. There are lots of reasons for it. Cities becoming unaffordable, lack of funding in schools meaning extra-curricular stuff like drama and music is being cut, crazy amounts of nepotism in the UK... I could go on. I work in a semi-creative role and most of the grads we have coming in now are from really wealthy backgrounds, went to Oxbridge etc. They can basically buy their way into interesting jobs while poorer kids have to struggle like crazy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what this was specifically but there was like an mtv show in the mid-late 90s and they paraded a bunch of women out for a frost tipped random idiot to choose who he wanted to date and one girl who was obviously physically impaired came out and he looked at her the whole time she went in front of him like he was enraged she would even dare to show herself around him and it was so gross that I can’t forget about it to this day and I still want to travel back in time and beat the poo poo out of that dude

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

As much as I have enjoyed this genuinely interesting discussion about multiculturalism please keep in mind this thread is for TV Episodes that didn't age well so let's get things back on track.

I remember binging The Newsroom's first season when it came out and thinking it was incredible and literally between season one and two lost all interest and never watched it again and have terrible memories of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Patrick Stewart is considered a country bumpkin in england iirc.

Mu Zeta posted:

How? I thought he was a big pimp in the Royal Shakespeare Company
He grew up poor in Yorkshire, but you couldn't be an actor in England unless you could do RP. His native accent is fantastic and only semi-comprehensible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

EmmyOk posted:

As much as I have enjoyed this genuinely interesting discussion about multiculturalism please keep in mind this thread is for TV Episodes that didn't age well so let's get things back on track.

I remember binging The Newsroom's first season when it came out and thinking it was incredible and literally between season one and two lost all interest and never watched it again and have terrible memories of it.

It’s a very bad show and you’re bad for liking it

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

oldpainless posted:

It’s a very bad show and you’re bad for liking it

I think the only bit of the Newsroom I saw was Jeff Daniels talking about how America COULD be great to a bunch of schoolkids and that was it. That was making the rounds on Facebook a lot before Trump got into office.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

On the subject of British classism, did Dad's Army air in America and do people there 'get' the central character dynamic of the middle class Captain Mainwaring and upper class Sgt Wilson and why Mainwaring would have such a chip on his shoulder?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

On the subject of British classism, did Dad's Army air in America and do people there 'get' the central character dynamic of the middle class Captain Mainwaring and upper class Sgt Wilson and why Mainwaring would have such a chip on his shoulder?

:lol:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think the only bit of the Newsroom I saw was Jeff Daniels talking about how America COULD be great to a bunch of schoolkids and that was it. That was making the rounds on Facebook a lot before Trump got into office.

Jeff Daniels in the Newsroom is a Republican who loves the news media and hates guns

is he also pro-abortion?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I made it through most of season 2 because I wanted to like it so bad but it’s actually the worst show I’ve ever seen. Kinda wish I had hatewatched season 3 because it has a ghost dad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's an episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway? with special guest star "seven Loyola Marymount University cheerleaders" and it was probably super creepy even at the time but I hadn't seen it before 2018 and wow.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have no idea what this was specifically but there was like an mtv show in the mid-late 90s and they paraded a bunch of women out for a frost tipped random idiot to choose who he wanted to date and one girl who was obviously physically impaired came out and he looked at her the whole time she went in front of him like he was enraged she would even dare to show herself around him and it was so gross that I can’t forget about it to this day and I still want to travel back in time and beat the poo poo out of that dude

Isn't there a famous dating show where a serial killer was one of the contestants? Although that's probably got nothing on the awkwardness of a young Jon Hamm trying to impress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go7umPwXmJA drat, that man has got better with age.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bitterandtwisted posted:

We had Major Dad.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

Isn't there a famous dating show where a serial killer was one of the contestants? Although that's probably got nothing on the awkwardness of a young Jon Hamm trying to impress:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Alcala

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

SEX BURRITO posted:

Isn't there a famous dating show where a serial killer was one of the contestants?

Rodney Alcala was on The Dating Game in 1978.

e: ^^^ darn :)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I like how the US Army is his first victim

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

shelley posted:

Rodney Alcala was on The Dating Game in 1978.

e: ^^^ darn :)

And Ron Goldman, the guy OJ :airquote: didn't kill alongside his ex-wife, was on an episode of Studs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't 'Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire' or some knockoff of it turn out to have one of the millionaires in question be a cannibalistic serial killer?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bitterandtwisted posted:

The only thing Captain Mainwaring had on his shoulder was three pips! (And don't you forget it!) :colbert:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't 'Who Wants To Marry A Millionaire' or some knockoff of it turn out to have one of the millionaires in question be a cannibalistic serial killer?

Megan Wants A Millionaire

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jasmine_Fiore

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That 10 year period from 2000 to 2010 was bananas for reality shows.

I think lawsuits have done some good to rein in most of that. Now it's just little people and housewives bitching at each other via speakerphone.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm just said we'll never get another "reality" show as perfect as Joe Schmo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joe_Schmo_Show

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm just said we'll never get another "reality" show as perfect as Joe Schmo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joe_Schmo_Show

I loved that show. My roommates and I used to watch it "as a family."

"What is going on?!"

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I just read the wiki article and the show sounds amazing. It also sounds more real and unpredictable than actual reality shows.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rickety Cricket was one of the actors!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Why would an upper class Brit be in the enlisted ranks to begin with? Don't they pretty much hand out commissions at that level?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Laterite posted:

Why would an upper class Brit be in the enlisted ranks to begin with? Don't they pretty much hand out commissions at that level?

It's part of the other dynamic between Mainwaring and Wilson: Wilson was an officer in the First World War. He doesn't mind not being the commanding officer of the Home Guard, because he knows that the Home Guard aren't important. Mainwaring, who has never seen a modern war, is convinced that they are.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think lawsuits have done some good to rein in most of that. Now it's just little people and housewives bitching at each other via speakerphone.

It really was. Networks had decided that it was cheaper to throw a bunch of idiots together in a manufactured situation and film it, so they were on all the networks, filling in any hole they could find. The only one I remember watching was that one that was attempting to cash in on National Treasure, and I think I really only watched it because it came on before something else I wanted to watch.

Syndication was also full of them, between the news and prime time, rather than showing reruns of Friends, you had all flavors of dating contests. I feel like the 2010's phased those out for the gossip rags.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite terrible reality show moment was the slurping sounds from the woods in Joe Millionaire.

I'm sure it was just the sound guy making sexy noises that they then added in post.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think my favorite terrible reality show moment was the slurping sounds from the woods in Joe Millionaire.

I'm sure it was just the sound guy making sexy noises that they then added in post.

You should read this

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2551-i-was-contestant-worst-reality-show-ever.html

gaydad
Mar 23, 2015

SEX BURRITO posted:

See also the British music industry, where a huge number of acts come from privately educated backgrounds. There are lots of reasons for it. Cities becoming unaffordable, lack of funding in schools meaning extra-curricular stuff like drama and music is being cut, crazy amounts of nepotism in the UK... I could go on. I work in a semi-creative role and most of the grads we have coming in now are from really wealthy backgrounds, went to Oxbridge etc. They can basically buy their way into interesting jobs while poorer kids have to struggle like crazy.

This is true. I remember in my jazz to rock class my professor mentioned that artists like The Who, David Bowie, and Pink Floyd (I think) went to prominent art schools.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to love Aaron Sorkin after watching A Few Good Men, Sports Night, and West Wing. As soon as I saw the first episode of The Newsroom I knew he ran out of ideas. gently caress that guy.

e: Studio 60 was also terrible. He crafted a whole show around bitching about his ex-girlfriend.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 19:56 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

The only one I remember watching was that one that was attempting to cash in on National Treasure, and I think I really only watched it because it came on before something else I wanted to watch.

I wonder sometimes how many (especially syndicated) shows ended up doing poorly because so many people stream, and the idea of watching something you don't really like to kill time before watching what you do want is becoming less and less of a thing.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, I remember I used to watch some of those shows, but that one was just absolute garbage even for the genre.