Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

I recently bought a Nintendo Switch and it looked like the eSHOP was surprisingly sparse on classic titles. Is there something I'm missing?

There's no "virtual console" as there is on Wii U and 3DS, but there are still a lot of classic titles on there. Other companies have classics available, mainly Hamster's Arcade Archives, and recently Johnny Turbo's Arcade titles. Hamster has a few Nintendo titles in their library. There are also a handful of solid remakes, such as Blaster Master Zero and Wonderboy: the Dragon's Trap.

There are vague plans for a "classic game selection" that'll be offered with the Switch's online subscription plan when it launches later this year. At the moment it looks like it'll be a selection of NES titles with online play features.

Manky fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I didn't know Korg was doing a Switch thing, I think the 3DS ones they did were supposed to be pretty decent

Korg DSN-12 was extremely sick, and from the previews I've seen, the Gadget looks like it has some of the same magic, although it's a very different tool. I'm looking forward to testing it out and seeing what kinds of sounds I can make with it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The stuff people make with both the Gadget and Labo piano is going to be sick.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Help Im Alive posted:

I didn't know Korg was doing a Switch thing, I think the 3DS ones they did were supposed to be pretty decent
Yeah it was announced a week or so ago, someone posted about it in the Switch thread. Not really my thing, but yeah apparently really good if it's yours. People used to rave about the 3DS ones.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey irlZaphod I just wanna let you know I appreciate you keeping up on the releases and posting them here. I find it very useful!
Thanks! It's not always easy figuring out what's coming out every week since there's no advance PR about it anymore.

njsykora posted:

Nintendo isn't doing a Virtual Console type thing like on Wii and Wii U (or they haven't announced they are) since a lot of that stuff is being tied into their online subscription plans.
I suspect the NES/SNES Classics have something to do with it too, but maybe not. They may just be focusing on new stuff (or ports) rather than VC. Maybe we'll hear something at E3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone made an actual FMV game for the Switch?

drat I might get this

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I watched the trailer last night and it seems like it might be silly fun. Plus when you play it, you can pretend you have a streaming service on your Switch.

Oh, and apparently it's "from the writer of Sherlock Holmes (2009 film)".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh that came out on Steam last year right? I do remember it now

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

njsykora posted:

Nintendo isn't doing a Virtual Console type thing like on Wii and Wii U (or they haven't announced they are) since a lot of that stuff is being tied into their online subscription plans.

Okay, I saw an advertisement for that when I was setting up my Switch, but couldn't find any further link to it. Is this something that's coming later then?

EDIT: oh it's on the first post of the new page, nvm.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

In Training posted:

Oh that came out on Steam last year right? I do remember it now

Yeah, it's a PC port but I enjoyed it quite a bit last year. Played through 4 times I think and got moderately different stories each time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

irlZaphod posted:

Oh, and apparently it's "from the writer of Sherlock Holmes (2009 film)".
Is that the Asylum one, with velociraptors?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Where can I get Half-Genie Hero for 27 USD? That beats the pants off of Amazon Prime price, even.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Someone made an actual FMV game for the Switch?

My dude.

https://twitter.com/limitedrungames/status/987347615086972929?s=21

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Where can I get Half-Genie Hero for 27 USD? That beats the pants off of Amazon Prime price, even.
On the Nintendo eShop: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shantae-half-genie-hero-ultimate-edition-switch

Spellman
May 31, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Glaive: Brick Breaker - $ ? / £8.99 / €9.99 (? NA / April 26 EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Glaive: Brick Breaker is a classic and popular arkanoid-type game with beautiful 3D graphics. Many power-ups, tons of different stages and dynamic gameplay. Different game modes and boss fights. Two-player local versus mode included!

It's kind of lame, but I'm always looking for a decent Breakout game, but it hardly ever happens. Arkanoid DX came out on WiiWare, and there was this wicked DSiWare one that was an sprawling RPG with tons of buyable upgrades for your paddle (ship) , and evidently isn't being sold anymore because the went out of business

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Senran Kagura guy already announced a Switch game that uses HD rumble to simulate fondling huge anime titties. hands

FTFY

It's called Senran Kagura Reflexions and admittedly after the hand massage it goes to the series standard dressing room but nothing unique to the series.

Also it's on sale for 820 yen instead of 1000 on the Japanese shop right now.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Spellman posted:

It's kind of lame, but I'm always looking for a decent Breakout game, but it hardly ever happens. Arkanoid DX came out on WiiWare, and there was this wicked DSiWare one that was an sprawling RPG with tons of buyable upgrades for your paddle (ship) , and evidently isn't being sold anymore because the went out of business

Are you thinking of Wizorb cause that got ported to everything under the sun.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

Are you thinking of Wizorb cause that got ported to everything under the sun.

Nah, the game was AlphaBounce. There's a ridiculously small amount of decent video footage of it, so this Classic Game Room review will have to do, but it explains the game quite well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r-UcMba21s

Worst part is, I lost my old DSi that had it and couldn't transfer it to my 3DS for posterity, it was a very fun game that was huge in scope

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spellman posted:

Did you pick up Gunbarich already?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Did you pick up Gunbarich already?

I did. It's OK, feels a little dated though. It's definitely hard, every round has a time limit. But it's a game that works well in portrait mode—I'm really liking games that provide this function, such as the pinball games that came out on Switch recently

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nintendo sent me a birthday coupon for 30% off select digital games. Only one I’m interested in is Metroid: Samus Returns. I didn’t bother getting it when it first came out cause I haven’t turned on my New 3DS in a year or so, ever since the Switch came out. Is this worth getting at $27.99? Could they maybe port it to Switch some day?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think there have been any 3DS ports to date so idk. It's pretty good, though it has some issues imo with overemphasizing the original mechanics and powerups to the point that it mucks up the pacing for a good chunk of the game.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Only one I’m interested in is Metroid: Samus Returns.... Could they maybe port it to Switch some day?

Anything’s possible, but I doubt it. That game leans very heavily on the second screen, porting it to the Switch would require them to rework some fundamental aspects of the UI, and I’d be surprised if they were willing to invest that much effort into it. (And I have no idea if they used assets that were high quality enough to look good on a 720p display.)

I got it as an impulse purchase on sale for $20 a while back, I thought it was worth it - especially since I sold it for a tad more than that on eBay after I finished my playthrough.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

Anything’s possible, but I doubt it. That game leans very heavily on the second screen, porting it to the Switch would require them to rework some fundamental aspects of the UI, and I’d be surprised if they were willing to invest that much effort into it. (And I have no idea if they used assets that were high quality enough to look good on a 720p display.)

I got it as an impulse purchase on sale for $20 a while back, I thought it was worth it - especially since I sold it for a tad more than that on eBay after I finished my playthrough.

Yeah I figured it would be trouble to port. I’m honestly hoping the dual screen concept gets phased out of all Nintendo hardware going forward to prevent porting issues like that.

As for the game, I’ll think about it. I really don’t want to fire up my 3DS unless it’s mind blowing. I’m having way more fun with the Switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Motto posted:

I don't think there have been any 3DS ports to date so idk. It's pretty good, though it has some issues imo with overemphasizing the original mechanics and powerups to the point that it mucks up the pacing for a good chunk of the game.

There’s a few that are getting Switch ports. We’re also getting DS games on Switch like The World Ends With You.

I doubt Samus Returns will come to Switch but who knows with Nintendo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if in 4 years its in there or something but not any time soon. Any ways Samus Returns is fun, I enjoyed it enough to play it twice but it definitely doesn't have the lasting appeal for me that most other Metroids have. Still, fine is better than non-existence so I was happy

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I got the same birthday email, I notice there are no switch games offered :mad:

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Ikaruga is coming to the Eshop May 29th, $14.99. I like that they’re going to have a vertical screen mode or otherwise it would have been annoying to play portably.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man..I've been having some frothing demand for that one.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
It's published by Nicalis so I'd wait and see on that one.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gann Jerrod posted:

Ikaruga is coming to the Eshop May 29th, $14.99. I like that they’re going to have a vertical screen mode or otherwise it would have been annoying to play portably.

I've tried to play pinball like that and it's too heavy to balance in your hands vertically. It might be ok to prop on a desk in front of you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoehead posted:

I've tried to play pinball like that and it's too heavy to balance in your hands vertically. It might be ok to prop on a desk in front of you

I suspect a lot of replacement kits for the fishing rod LABO set will be put to vertical-arcade purposes.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
The main retronauts guy is also going to be putting a vertical grip to market soon, I believe.
https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/973988678996459520?s=19

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
More Nindies news, Lumines Remastered is coming out June 26. A little later than I’d like, but it’s worth it to have one of the best puzzle games on the Switch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Manky posted:

The main retronauts guy is also going to be putting a vertical grip to market soon, I believe.
https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/973988678996459520?s=19

Wouldn't it overheat or something if you cover up the fan vent thingy like that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

It's probably fine, the Switch doesn't put out much heat in portable mode. The vent is mostly for docked mode.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

It's probably fine, the Switch doesn't put out much heat in portable mode. The vent is mostly for docked mode.

No, that vent IS super important in handheld. You haven't tilted your switch while playing Zelda and felt the breeze on your face? Breath of hot air, more like it. Most 3d games seem to have that effect. I can think of possible ways to design around the issue, though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I saw a stress test where the guy had to disable the fan, throw a bunch of towels on a Switch and use a blow dryer to get it to overheat, at which point it just turns itself off

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Manky posted:

You haven't tilted your switch while playing Zelda and felt the breeze on your face?

Strikers 1945 and Ikaruga are not going to be stressing the Switch like BotW does.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lemon-Lime posted:

Strikers 1945 and Ikaruga are not going to be stressing the Switch like BotW does.

Nicalis is doing the Ikaruga port, so I wouldn't get ahead of myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nicalis has been doing a great job on Switch. They don’t deserve the negative reputation anymore imo.