Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I think Astros Rants is the "You're disrespecting a future US soldier" kid all (partially) grown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
It isn't sounding good for Cueto.
https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/991749818740441088

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Please throw a baseball at this man. Just be sure it isn't at his head, that would be bad! But please, hit him with a baseball!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
In the span of a week Jedd Gyorko, Matt Carpenter and Dexter Fowler all hit career HR # 100.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Please throw a baseball at this man. Just be sure it isn't at his head, that would be bad! But please, hit him with a baseball!

This man, who is not a WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

In the span of a week Jedd Gyorko, Matt Carpenter and Dexter Fowler all hit career HR # 100.

Awwww I was hoping this would end in a 1-0 CGSO with the only run from a CMart dinger. :(

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was %99 sure that Twitter rant was just a satirical jab at the typical Yankee fan and thought it was pretty funny.

Then I looked at the rest of his Tweets and it's probably actually serious.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wanna mock that dude's "respect the world champions" thing so bad but... you know... Yankees fan... "kiss the rings"... glass houses...

Its still funny.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

STAC Goat posted:

I wanna mock that dude's "respect the world champions" thing so bad but... you know... Yankees fan... "kiss the rings"... glass houses...

Its still funny.

I’m pretty sure when Inspector 666 met up with me and Kevlar I asked him if it was hard being the fan whose team had the longest WS drought at the table.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

This man, who is not a WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Well that part is accurate ;)

Being an Astros fan can be hard in its own way. For example: realizing my favorite Astros blog is run by a MAGAhead whose politics sometimes seep into his posts

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

I’m pretty sure when Inspector 666 met up with me and Kevlar I asked him if it was hard being the fan whose team had the longest WS drought at the table.

Well Ice Fist was there and he's technically a Brewers fan.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

so here's a semi-serious question: is there any chance the dodgers dangle kershaw if their season really does go fart? i am assuming he'll opt out, and he'd bring a fortune in Baseball Commodities back if they do indeed decide to walk away from the wreckage
No, fans would revolt. Technically, if their season is toast they could be clever and flip him at the deadline then re-sign him this winter, but that would be a PR nightmare. Much like questions about how he will age, with Kershaw it's not sufficient to simply play things "by the book" or whatever. His value to LA goes far beyond his pitching.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it seems like a catch 22. If Kershaw's bad enough to justify trading him then he won't score a return good enough to justify the trade. If he's pitching well enough to be genuinely valuable as trade bait then he's good enough for the fans to want to re-sign and not risk losing.

Like the Chapman scenario is nice and all but the response to trading him for prospects in the first place was as positive a one as you can get. You can't pull that off with a beloved franchise player even if you could guarantee he'll come back. Which you can't REALLY.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

No, fans would revolt. Technically, if their season is toast they could be clever and flip him at the deadline then re-sign him this winter, but that would be a PR nightmare. Much like questions about how he will age, with Kershaw it's not sufficient to simply play things "by the book" or whatever. His value to LA goes far beyond his pitching.

Agree that they won't and shouldn't put him on the block. But "his value to LA goes far beyond his pitching" might be an intangible hard to defend in the salary book.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

And Kershaw isn't just a beloved franchise player. He's the greatest pitcher in franchise history, and if not the best Dodger ever then at least the best LA Dodger ever, no matter what boomers tell you about Koufax.

Sydin posted:

It is really loving surreal watching Kershaw not only throw 88, but completely miss his spot such that a call for down and in ends up belt high right over the middle.
HR/9 by season:

:negative:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the popes toes posted:

Agree that they won't and shouldn't put him on the block. But "his value to LA goes far beyond his pitching" might be an intangible hard to defend in the salary book.
Ultimately this is up to the Dodgers ownership, and Mark Walter is pretty firmly on record as understanding how important Kershaw is to the franchise. His first offer of an extension after buying the team was 15 years and $300M. All indications are that he's willing to do whatever it takes to keep Kersh a Dodger for life.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

And Kershaw isn't just a beloved franchise player. He's the greatest pitcher in franchise history, and if not the best Dodger ever then at least the best LA Dodger ever, no matter what boomers tell you about Koufax.

Koufax's value to the history of the sport goes beyond his pitching :jewish:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Koufax also won 3 world series with filthy postseason stat lines.

Kershaw 2011-17 vs. Koufax 1961-66 are so eerily similar it's insane.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 2, 2018

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

kershaw to the dbacks. he gets to ride shotgun just like schilling, dodger fans get to "well actually" about some declining buttFX stat, and i get a few championships. who says no?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Kershaw can play out his final seasons on a farm upstate

Called AT&T Park

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*looks up Kershaw's numbers and wonders what Dodgers fans are bitching about*

Although he'd be the #4 starter in Houston ;)

(and get no run support at all)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Solo homers can make you sad sometimes

e: whoops wrong

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

I like how he counts the replay as "another" bat flip.

I mean, if that's a "World Series celebration" that's just sad.

edit: Its ok, guys.

https://twitter.com/AstrosRants/status/991685055658504193

God dammit, why does everyone who else who hates bat flips have to be such a ridiculous whiner?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Patrick Spens posted:

God dammit, why does everyone who else who hates bat flips have to be such a ridiculous whiner?

Perhaps you need to take a closer look inwards.

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 2, 2018

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My youngest son started tee ball this spring and I've already taught him how to bat flip

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Intruder posted:

*looks up Kershaw's numbers and wonders what Dodgers fans are bitching about*

Although he'd be the #4 starter in Houston ;)

(and get no run support at all)

He might move up that list with pine tar

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My RTTS character gets called up for the playoffs, is declared the world series MVP, and now is just sitting on the bench in the next season. Mike Matheny is an idiot even in virtual reality.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It was last year's version but I had a SP on the Reds who won RoTY, CY-2, lead the league in ERA, WHIP, and was I think third or fourth in K's. Come spring training he gets called into Bryan Price's office and told he's being moved to the pen. RTTS emulates terrible organizations perfectly, imo.

Also apparently RTTS managers don't understand how to double switch and invariably after recording the last out in the 8th I'm always pulled for a PH even though there's voice over of Vasgersian saying I'm in for the four out save.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

jit bull transpile posted:

My RTTS character gets called up for the playoffs, is declared the world series MVP, and now is just sitting on the bench in the next season. Mike Matheny is an idiot even in virtual reality.

My RTTS character posted the best non-Barry Bonds offensive season ever, won MVP and then got traded during spring training next year. The RTTS ai is basically just completely insane.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I feel like all I do these days is post about Mookie Betts but uhhhhh

he's really loving good, you guys

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

NiceGuy posted:

I feel like all I do these days is post about Mookie Betts but uhhhhh

he's really loving good, you guys

I have it on good authority that you're wrong and he's actually replacement-level

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I want mookie dang it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The Nelson Cruz contract has been so so sooooooooo good for the Mariners.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

I had a RTTS pitcher that had a sub 1 ERA, was like 29-1, annihilated the single season strikeout record, won MVP, CY, WS MVP, going into free agency at 24 years old and couldn't get more than a $8m AAV offer

Signed a 1 year prove-it deal with the Dodgers and threw a perfect game in his first start, hit over .400 with 40+ homeruns and won all those awards again and still couldn't get a big contract offer

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

I had a RTTS pitcher that had a sub 1 ERA, was like 29-1, annihilated the single season strikeout record, won MVP, CY, WS MVP, going into free agency at 24 years old and couldn't get more than a $8m AAV offer

Sounds like real MLB these days :classiclol:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I’m just gonna assume that those 88 mph batting practice meatballs Kershaw threw were lovely sliders rather than fastballs tyvm. He threw a couple to Goldschmidt that were just barely missed.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Every other division is at least starting to stratify. Then you look at the NL Central...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Every other division is at least starting to stratify. Then you look at the NL Central...

Cincinnati are going to lose 110 games at least. Also, holy hell is the AL Central bad.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

I’m just gonna assume that those 88 mph batting practice meatballs Kershaw threw were lovely sliders rather than fastballs tyvm. He threw a couple to Goldschmidt that were just barely missed.
Maybe it's best at this point if everyone just gets hurt at once and they punt the year. Why is this a thing I'm seriously posting in May??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Mookie Betts is pretty good by not-Mike-Trout standards. Makes you really appreciate what Mike Trout does imo

• Locked thread