Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Why? I looked at Bow's history, there is nothing.

Oh hey you're back.

Because Bow did the thing I absolutely hate and checks in by saying "oh I missed nothing in the last x posts", makes a dumb joke, and then doesn't post again. I consider that active lurking vs. regular lurking.

Who would you vote for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Max posted:

Oh hey you're back.

Because Bow did the thing I absolutely hate and checks in by saying "oh I missed nothing in the last x posts", makes a dumb joke, and then doesn't post again. I consider that active lurking vs. regular lurking.

Who would you vote for?

So are you saying that I'm lurking?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Max posted:

Oh hey you're back.

Who would you vote for?

Back? I've been posting all day since the game started? I mean some people do have to work and can't check the thread 24/7.

Honestly? I would say Pod (No offense Pod). I just feel like Pod is playing an aggressive game which is not the normal Pod game I'm used to.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

So are you saying that I'm lurking?

AA do you want to vote for Max? I don't like the lurker call outs for people who aren't even lurking.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Max posted:

Oh hey you're back.

Who would you vote for?

This doesn't actually explain why I'm a better vote.

You just write off bowmore as a lurker, but don't actually explain why I'm a good vote.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

AA do you want to vote for Max? I don't like the lurker call outs for people who aren't even lurking.

Why do you need AA's permission?

And no, I want to vote AA ahead of Bow because AA's reasoning for Moat makes no sense to me.

Oh and I'm voting Bow right now, hold on a sec.

##unvote
##vote AA

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

SalTheBard posted:

##unvote

I mean a vote on Max is looking better, but I feel like he's making some real reads, I feel like I misread the lurker bit, but I still don't see how a person being a lurker, makes me a better choice for a vote.

I started typing this while Max voted me, but if he's voting me for voting Moat, then so be it.

Moat's play looks like they follow just enough to chime in with a relevant picture or emoticon.

I'm good with my vote on Moat.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Back? I've been posting all day since the game started? I mean some people do have to work and can't check the thread 24/7.

Honestly? I would say Pod (No offense Pod). I just feel like Pod is playing an aggressive game which is not the normal Pod game I'm used to.

Posting something of substance, not joking about raising your hand.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

##unvote

I mean a vote on Max is looking better, but I feel like he's making some real reads, I feel like I misread the lurker bit, but I still don't see how a person being a lurker, makes me a better choice for a vote.

I started typing this while Max voted me, but if he's voting me for voting Moat, then so be it.

Moat's play looks like they follow just enough to chime in with a relevant picture or emoticon.

I'm good with my vote on Moat.

Then vote moat

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Max posted:

Why do you need AA's permission?

And no, I want to vote AA ahead of Bow because AA's reasoning for Moat makes no sense to me.

Oh and I'm voting Bow right now, hold on a sec.

##unvote
##vote AA

I don't need his permission. ##Vote max

Probably should call out people who are actually lurking and not people who are playing. Also in my experience people who call out D1 Lurkers are often scum.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Ah, I forgot I had unvoted in the heat of rising omgus, but yes. I should ##unvote ##vote Moat

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Max posted:

Posting something of substance, not joking about raising your hand.

God forbid I posted something during joke phase that was ya know jokey?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Max posted:

That's so gross I'd also vote for IP.

It wasn't great.

I'm feeling pretty refreshed though after that walk to the store so I think I might be able to add some coherent thoughts to this.

Thought #1 is that I never feel like I can get any sort of read from a day 1 post unless someone slips up super hard. I guess that could change but :shrug:

I think it's weird that Pod and Sal posted at the exact same time that they believed Yami's miller claim, even though it was a couple of hours after the post itself.

Pod's posting in general seems a bit jumpy. Lots of target switching.

Nothing else really stands out to me beyond day one posturing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

God forbid I posted something during joke phase that was ya know jokey?

Calling attention to the fact that you haven’t actually posted anything meaningful is not a good look. That omgus vote isn’t either. I don’t like this reaction to me mentioning your name all of once.

Why not call out NL while you’re at it, he brought your name up first.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I still don't like AA's posting style, especially compared to Pequod, but Bow's post history is actively frustrating for me to look at after coming from another game that essentially died to lurkers.

As such, I am perfectly fine with lunching an unhelpful person for now, especially considering the deadline situation.

##unvote

##vote bowmore

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You know what?

Multiple games I mention someone’s name as a possible lurker a single time on day one and they explode at me. They almost always end up being scum.

##unvote
##vote sal

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Yami Fenrir posted:

I still don't like AA's posting style, especially compared to Pequod, but Bow's post history is actively frustrating for me to look at after coming from another game that essentially died to lurkers.

As such, I am perfectly fine with lunching an unhelpful person for now, especially considering the deadline situation.

##unvote

##vote bowmore

Are you saying it's identical? Because the important take away there is I was town up until I got infected and made a gambit. Now if it's wildly different, then well I don't know what to say :ohdear:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

"What makes bowmore your second choice?" I personally do not see much distinction between him and other assassins like SalTheBard, BottleKnight, Monathin or CCkeane.

Reminder, Sal, this is the post you ignored when you went after me instead.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it's weird that Pod and Sal posted at the exact same time that they believed Yami's miller claim, even though it was a couple of hours after the post itself.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Put me on the far bottom right of that triangle, tia.

Also, apparently someone thought the newbie that was incredibly suspicious in pequod despite being town there wasn't suspicious enough, because...

**I AM A MILLER.** *This is not a joke claim.*

I am Jin, the Stranger, and I am a town aligned miller because I'm a *weird foreigner*. I am claiming day one because, well, miller. This is apparently what you do as a miller. I do not have any powers, an as such I am essentially VT.

This was posted on May 1st at 4:57am CST while I was asleep

SalTheBard posted:

O_O

##unvote Mona

I woke up for a few minutes and posted that at 6:12am CST (a whole hour and 15 minutes later)

At roughly 10am this morning (May 2nd) I woke up to get caught up on posts and I saw Pod's post:

Podima posted:

Hey Sal why'd you unvote Monathin here in response to the miller claim? Seems unrelated.

to which I responded:

SalTheBard posted:

I momentarily confused Miller with Bus Driver. Plus my vote for Mona was a joke. I had planned to vote Yami which is why I unvoted.

at 10am

At that point I decided to play some PUBG, come to this thread and then see my name. Max, I'm fine with you voting for me, it seems a little OMGUS but then again so did my vote. However I just don't like lurkers being called out in a game that hasn't even been going that long.

##unvote Max

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Max posted:

Reminder, Sal, this is the post you ignored when you went after me instead.

Point of contention: I'm annoyed more about the lurker callout then throwing my name around. I don't care if my name is thrown around, that doesn't bother me, what bothers me is "Sal is a lurker" when clearly I was not lurking.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The student looks at his notes. Long were the nights he spent studying, and short were the mornings where he worked on dreadfully little amount of sleep. In his absence, the others had already got to arguing and accusations of each other, and he would not be remiss to inspect any and all of their declarations without undue respect - they held a life on the line, each of them. Know the life that must be taken such that it would be your own. The seriousness of it all weighed upon him.

The arguments being made were not in honor of a creed such as that. A distrust crept up his spine and made him second-guess his fellow students. His journey was not just one to learn what Master Ishtil knew of the art - no, the science of taking a life, but the philosophy one acquires as an artisan of such a craft. Contract killers, those would take life in exchange for coin, may not have the luxury of agreeing with whose life they will take, but in the process of preparing to take that life, can acquire a summation of their target's worldly desires, thoughts, feelings, fears. It is that which drew the student ever deeper into his training, and shocked him to cruel reality with the fact that Master Ishtil was dead - and that there could be no culprit other than the fellow apprentices among him.

But more to the point, the arguments being considered, he turned it over in his mind...

The student notes Sal is getting suspicion from others. He remembers to ##unvote before his vote is counted as more than what it was - an idle jest.

Of his fellow apprentices, the one known as the Amalgam struck a dissonant chord with him - Amalgam points suspicions and casts a wide net, before settling on the student known as Moatillata for their jovial attempts to get Keane to lighten up. They claim it's not an ironclad feeling, and yet are the first to cast a vote of doubt. This made him more suspicion - there of course was no ironclad early arguments, but the irony in claiming that such a thing means little and yet placing down a vote of conviction made him consider Amalgam's possible dishonesty in their opinions.

Atomic Soda, a fellow apprentice who the student's interactions with previously could be described as "troubled". Their suspicion onto Podima's ultimately benevolent jeers of Yami's foreign status rings to the student as fabricated and hollow - if there was disagreement in there, it did not seem as though it was more suspicious than anything else the student and his fellow apprentices should be concerned with.

By virtue of Atomic Soda, Max's defense of them seems unwarranted - a hasty defense of what the student read as a hastier direction of suspicion. Moreover, they do not offer a more thorough defense beyond past history with Podima, and yet say that said suspicion from Atomic rings true - this, to the student, seems like a blatant contradiction.

It occurs to him now that rather than lose himself in his thoughts he should make his opinions clear, for while he has great respect for the others, he feels fairly certain none would claim the power to peer into another's mind.

"These claims on Podima make very little sense to me. If I must declare my suspicions so brazenly, I feel as if Max's refusal explain a contradiction in their thoughts speaks to some dishonesty in their nature. Beyond that, I do not care for Amalgam's clear shifting of suspicion from one apprentice to the next - it strikes me as attempting to find not our Master's killer, but whoever looks most like one."

"Should we need to move with haste, I would vote either of those today - but believe that the suspicion on Podima is ill-fabricated, and would not support a vote there."

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

With any luck, the student will not get so caught-up in his thoughts again. Though now he must consider Max and Sal both in light of the recent scuffle that occurred as he organized his thoughts.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Why is it a contradiction to say that my own meta read of a player disagree's with someone else's read? I can understand why someone might have a problem with what Pod said even if i don't personally.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Are you saying it's identical? Because the important take away there is I was town up until I got infected and made a gambit. Now if it's wildly different, then well I don't know what to say :ohdear:

No, my point is that your posting feels different to me. In my view, your posts lack the same commitment to them that you had in Pequod. You aren't really asking any pointed questions, like asking if it's really my first game in that game, for example. Your callouts just feel weak to me in comparison. In Pequod, you pushed a lot harder than you seem to have done so far. It feels a lot more more careful and calculated to me.

It also bothers me that it seems similar to IS posting style. Perhaps the scum team agreed on a general approach to the game.

Of course, I might also be entirely wrong. :shrug: I'm just playing it the same way I played Pequod, analyzing my hunches, perhaps a little bit too much. Considering I was right on two out of three scum day one and allowed myself to be talked off track there, I probably will be keeping my eye on you especially, though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Max posted:

Why is it a contradiction to say that my own meta read of a player disagree's with someone else's read? I can understand why someone might have a problem with what Pod said even if i don't personally.

The student considers this for a moment.

"You responded to another's case in suspicion of Podima - one which I don't agree with personally, but another, Asiina called as investigating in bad faith - a fabricated statement. Instead of directly disagreeing with Atomic's case, you offered a hollow defense of Soda to Asiina - as if trying to say that Asiina's own reaction to it was more in bad faith than Soda's initial suspicions."

"That is where my confusion and suspicion lie."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Monathin posted:

The student considers this for a moment.

"You responded to another's case in suspicion of Podima - one which I don't agree with personally, but another, Asiina called as investigating in bad faith - a fabricated statement. Instead of directly disagreeing with Atomic's case, you offered a hollow defense of Soda to Asiina - as if trying to say that Asiina's own reaction to it was more in bad faith than Soda's initial suspicions."

"That is where my confusion and suspicion lie."

I know I like RP and everything but you may need to drop it for a second, I can't parse what you actually have a problem with.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Point of contention: I'm annoyed more about the lurker callout then throwing my name around. I don't care if my name is thrown around, that doesn't bother me, what bothers me is "Sal is a lurker" when clearly I was not lurking.

"You have unvoted Max. Who do you think we should execute come the deadline?"

Max
Nov 30, 2002

OK no I understand now.

I don't agree with AS's argument. But it's still a read of a player, and I understand how she came to that opinion, which is why I said to Asiina that she had actually said why she found Pod scummy.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Max posted:

Hmm, but it does.

This. You disagreed with AS' case, but instead of actually directing it -at- Atomic Soda you turned around on Asiina who felt like Soda's case was fake.

That feels more like you're trying to deflect suspicion on a bad case than actually just disagreeing with Soda in the first place. That's scummy to me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Monathin posted:

This. You disagreed with AS' case, but instead of actually directing it -at- Atomic Soda you turned around on Asiina who felt like Soda's case was fake.

That feels more like you're trying to deflect suspicion on a bad case than actually just disagreeing with Soda in the first place. That's scummy to me.

Hmm but I wasn't.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Monathin posted:

"Should we need to move with haste, I would vote either of those today - but believe that the suspicion on Podima is ill-fabricated, and would not support a vote there."

I'm not dead set on Pod, I just feel like Pods posts have been more aggressive than what I'm used to.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Ninth Layer posted:

"You have unvoted Max. Who do you think we should execute come the deadline?"

Just because I took off my vote off of Max doesn't mean I won't vote for him come deadline. I voted for him in haste and it came off as OMGUS instead of a genuine vote. I'm not wild about his play. I would vote Pod as well although I know you aren't wild about that answer. I'm sorry it's just the way I feel.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Max posted:

Hmm but I wasn't.

"Then why not directly disagree with Soda's impressions, instead of throwing out flimsy counterarguments? Perhaps that was not your intent, but without explaining yourself in the moment you leave your actions open to interpretation, an interpretation I find as actively suspicious of your loyalties."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

If we all just agree to disagree, however, I think we should just lunch bowmore. I think, boring lurker claim, but... It's better than a no-lunch, right?

Ultimately I don't think any one other player will gain a full 8 votes given how divided the votes are right now. I still don't trust AA at all right now, but I am very much willing to vote someone else.

Unfortunately, I also have to go sleep now, and I will wake up just a few hours after the deadline, so I will not be around at that time. With that in mind, I'm keeping my vote on the lurker in case people stay indecisive.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Max posted:

OK no I understand now.

I don't agree with AS's argument. But it's still a read of a player, and I understand how she came to that opinion, which is why I said to Asiina that she had actually said why she found Pod scummy.

It is hogwater served as fine brandy. It is a case built to fit a conclusion, not to support one. I am surprised Max has failed to see this. I consider raising the issue, but on reflection, perhaps I will be better served raising it later, after seeing Atomic Soda's next move.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm annoyed you all don't understand that a bad argument doesn't mean a scummy argument but I'm moving past it now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Just because I took off my vote off of Max doesn't mean I won't vote for him come deadline. I voted for him in haste and it came off as OMGUS instead of a genuine vote. I'm not wild about his play. I would vote Pod as well although I know you aren't wild about that answer. I'm sorry it's just the way I feel.

"I see. Thank you.' in truth I am not displeased at all; it is helpful to hear which suspicion Sal is willing to stand behind. My priority of threats does not currently include Podima, but that does not mean I am not open to reconsidering if presented with a compelling reason to reassess him. So far I have not heard one.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Max isn't scummy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Max posted:

I'm annoyed you all don't understand that a bad argument doesn't mean a scummy argument but I'm moving past it now.

In my experience bad arguments are at least usually based on reality. Deceptive arguments make conclusions based on events that never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I agree with Max on Sal. Sal's last posts, particularly these:

SalTheBard posted:

I'm not dead set on Pod, I just feel like Pods posts have been more aggressive than what I'm used to.

SalTheBard posted:

Are HELLA hedgey.

• Locked thread