Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

Ticket Summary: David phone annoyingsnoise

Ticket Details: David is on a conference call and his phone keeps making a noise at regular internals please help. If you can fix offline now while he is on the call would be great.

:suicide:

Reminds me of working helpdesk at an oil company. My manager and coworker was out of the office a lot doing gently caress knows what, and this happened A LOT:

Managers cell phone would ring until it stopped
Managers desk phone would ring until it stopped
Coworkers cell phone would ring until it stopped
Coworkers desk phone would ring until it stopped
Helpdesk phone rings, I pick up and say "Hello, welcome to helpdesk, how may I help you?"
"WHY THE gently caress DOES NOBODY ANSWER THE PHONE WHEN I CALL? MY loving PIECE OF poo poo COMPUTER IS BROKEN AND SAYS WRONG PASSWORD!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GWBBQ posted:

Our sysadmin to our boss "I'm not supporting those computers until they pull their heads out of their asses. You can figure out the nice way to say that and no, I'm not wasting my time attending that meeting they invited me to."

Our boss considers that a perfectly acceptable thing to say to him and will play diplomat with the incompetent department.

Working as intended, will not do not fix.

Boss is good, you guys hiring ?

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Man, I just had to troubleshoot something related to this. The Polycom Trio 8800 consoles we use in our conference rooms have been ANNOYINGLY OBNOXIOUSLY BEEPY ever since a firmware update pushed them past version 5.5.2. This release introduced a hot new feature called "alert tone on mute status" that was also somehow alert toning every other goddamn action people would take. Share their screen on Skype? Beepbeep! Mute themselves? Beepbeep! Join the call? Beepbeep! Leave the call? Beepbeep! Request control of a presentation? Beepbeep!

Now, I personally had trouble replicating this issue, because in all my solo testing I never once turned on my webcam.

Start sharing your webcam over Skype? BRACE FOR BEEPS. No webcam? No obnoxious over-beeping. I called their support line. They had no idea what the gently caress I was talking about...and yet, firmware version 5.5.4 fixes this issue. Good job, Polycom.

Problem? What problem? Never heard of such problem. You must have problem.

Speaking of support not having a clue. I was setting up 2 Engenius Access points for WDS. I was having trouble getting them to see each other and the documentation was lacking to say the least. I contacted Engenius support and they promptly told me that the models that clearly had and advertised WDS functionality did not have WDS functionality.

After fiddling I found I was putting the wrong MAC addresses into them and they worked fine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Our sysadmin to our boss "I'm not supporting those computers until they pull their heads out of their asses. You can figure out the nice way to say that and no, I'm not wasting my time attending that meeting they invited me to."

Our boss considers that a perfectly acceptable thing to say to him and will play diplomat with the incompetent department.

Good boss, that's his job.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Myrridinos posted:

Problem? What problem? Never heard of such problem. You must have problem.

Speaking of support not having a clue. I was setting up 2 Engenius Access points for WDS. I was having trouble getting them to see each other and the documentation was lacking to say the least. I contacted Engenius support and they promptly told me that the models that clearly had and advertised WDS functionality did not have WDS functionality.

After fiddling I found I was putting the wrong MAC addresses into them and they worked fine.

You deserve that for buying access points from a company that specializes in 900 MHz cordless phones

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Currently having a not at all juvenile discussion about cloud deployments in our Teams room. Because why not when everyone has cloud2butt installed?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Jesus Tittyfucking Christ did we just dodge a bullet. We could have *really* bit it this week. As with a lot of large org's, there are multiple IT groups answering of multiple members of management.. For us it's the main group, water utility, electric, and E911. My group handles all non-scada network infrastructure, while everyone else manages their endpoints and whatever else special snowflake poo poo they run. Anyhoo..

Monday morning we notice a bunch of port 445(oh poo poo) traffic being caught and blocked by the main firewalls. We start digging and find that it originated from the computer aided dispatch(CAD) machines at the 911 shop(WTF). Even more worrisome, the firewall managing a tunnel between 911 and the state department of law enforcement showed that same traffic inbound. The malware is a hacked up version of WannaCry that uses SMB to propagate.

You're probably thinking right now, ok old malware, AV should pick it up, surely SMBv1 isn't enabled.... wrong.

Remember our splintered nature here. Patient zero was on the other side of that tunnel at Dept of Law Enforcement. It traversed the tunnel and hit a CAD machine THAT DIDN'T HAVE ANTIVIRUS. The 911 people hadn't so much as patched the cad machines after Motorola put them in 3 years ago, nor did their IT group find it necessary to put AV on them. This thing spread everywhere SMBv1 was enabled. Here's where we got lucky: The payload works by resolving a weird DDNS name, then calling home to it to get a key and start the encrypt process. There's a kill switch that will auto encrypt with a random key if the DNS name doesn't resolve. What ended up happening was the malware was able to resolve the DNS name, but the firewalls blocked the actual call home, rendering the payload inert.

As of this morning it's fully mitigated after three days of downing switch ports and re-imaging machines. This could have been so much worse.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Farking Bastage posted:

The payload works by resolving a weird DDNS name, then calling home to it to get a key and start the encrypt process. There's a kill switch that will auto encrypt with a random key if the DNS name doesn't resolve. What ended up happening was the malware was able to resolve the DNS name, but the firewalls blocked the actual call home, rendering the payload inert.

You are so lucky that thing used the Lazy Exception Handling library.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Proteus Jones posted:

You are so lucky that thing used the Lazy Exception Handling library.

Seriously. The other groups listened to us after that and disabled smb1 across the board, and I believe the 911 people are going to be executed by firing squad(hopefully). Biggest near miss I ever saw.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

my cat is norris posted:

Start sharing your webcam over Skype? BRACE FOR BEEPS. No webcam? No obnoxious over-beeping. I called their support line. They had no idea what the gently caress I was talking about...and yet, firmware version 5.5.4 fixes this issue. Good job, Polycom.
This is one for the "poo poo pissing me off" thread but it's appropriate here too. All the fuckin time:

User: I'm seeing Weird Behavior in $system.
Me: Hmm, that shouldn't be happening. Could be user error. Let me proxy in and...oh yeah, I see it too. Definitely off. Oh poo poo, I can replicate it and the problem is widespread. Let me contact the $system vendor.
Vendor: We are unable to replicate your problem and everything is working fine.
Me: Here's a video capture, please explain why I am seeing it and you are not.
Vendor: Please give us 24 hours to investigate and revert after doing the needful.
Problem mysteriously resolves overnight.
Vendor: We are still unable to replicate, closing ticket.

Four months later

Vendor Presentation: We're also pleased to report that we caught Weird Behavior and addressed it with hotfix PDQWTF_4041218. We're so proactive!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

The Macaroni posted:

This is one for the "poo poo pissing me off" thread but it's appropriate here too. All the fuckin time:

User: I'm seeing Weird Behavior in $system.
Me: Hmm, that shouldn't be happening. Could be user error. Let me proxy in and...oh yeah, I see it too. Definitely off. Oh poo poo, I can replicate it and the problem is widespread. Let me contact the $system vendor.
Vendor: We are unable to replicate your problem and everything is working fine.
Me: Here's a video capture, please explain why I am seeing it and you are not.
Vendor: Please give us 24 hours to investigate and revert after doing the needful.
Problem mysteriously resolves overnight.
Vendor: We are still unable to replicate, closing ticket.

Four months later

Vendor Presentation: We're also pleased to report that we caught Weird Behavior and addressed it with hotfix PDQWTF_4041218. We're so proactive!

Yeah, we get a ton of this "Thanks for contacting us, but I can tell the issue is already resolved" where it gets magically fixed right before they hit reply.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The weird thing about it is that customer confidence would actually be boosted by the vendor saying, "You're totally right, this is not working and we're going to make it right within two business days. Oh look, we did it in 2 hours! Have a great day!" It's not like they openly report their incident metrics.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

The Macaroni posted:

The weird thing about it is that customer confidence would actually be boosted by the vendor saying, "You're totally right, this is not working and we're going to make it right within two business days. Oh look, we did it in 2 hours! Have a great day!" It's not like they openly report their incident metrics.

My assumption has always been, that they hosed up and don't want to own up internally, so they fix it off the books and deny it ever being a problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hooray

Nobody can agree where the demark point is for a new product!

I'm sure it's documented in a contract somewhere but both of our respective support teams are both horribly incompetent so I guess it's just going to stay broken.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My home computer, but its a head scratcher so wtf.

Home built machine
Asus Z97M-Plus
Windows 10

SATA port 1: 850 Pro 250GB
SATA port 2: random 1TB spinner
m.2: Brand new WD Black 250GB

Computer works fine on the existing OS (850 pro). I unplugged both existing drives, plugged in the new m.2, booted off USB and installed windows 10, exactly like normal.

Reboot.
Load back to the installer.
ok, its booting the flash drive again.
Unplug flash drive, reboot.
Loads to the loving UEFI.
uhhh.
Select and tell it to boot the m.2. Runs through POST, loads the UEFI again.
umm, wtf?
Plug old drives back in, loads old copy of windows fine.

WTF am I missing? The flash was UEFI and it showed UEFI in the boot option when I selected it. Secure boot is on, but with a fresh install and no other drives involved it should boot to the new OS, right? The goal here is to load the old SSD with linux, but continue using it until the new copy of windows is up to speed.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2018

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
turn off secure boot and report back

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Have you done a bios update? Older versions of the bios dont have proper support for the m2 drive. They will see it as a storage device, not a boot device.

Also the Z97 board only has a gen 3.0 x2 m2 slot so there may be some odd performance issues.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'll do both and test.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Macaroni posted:

For this year we decided to stop doing quarterly releases so we could push out bug fixes to customers more quickly. Here at the start of the second quarter, guess how many releases we've actually pushed out.

At least I'm not the one who makes the final release so when customers ask why bugs aren't fixed yet, I can just give them his contact info.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Conference call added to my diary this morning.

I'm on a service desk, customer facing.
There was a new product becoming part of our remit, with an existing customer moving from their old service desk to us.

Apparently we had an MI while I was on leave, and this was some kind of a washup situation where our internal resolver had been tasked with finding improvements due to the MI taking forever to get resolved.

On the call, the rep from our internal resolver didn't seem to want to talk about the incident in question and it's failings, and instead talk in general about issues they've seen when talking to us and other desks supporting the same product.

One of my colleagues on the call spotted in an email on screen while the resolver rep was screen sharing that the primary concern raised was an issue between our internal resolver and the external vendor.
They're basically trying to find someone else to blame, and they're gonna struggle because we filled out role in the support model.

(Shame my Ops Manager will roll over and let them redefine the support model to make us accountable for additional triage in future but oh well)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
You had a miocardial infarction because someone didn’t wash up?

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

It's amazing how the state of Michigan can just appear in the middle of your project like that.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

You'd think that Tom Cruise would have better things to do than screw with your project like that.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Major Incident?

Are you all just trolling me or is that genuinely not a standard terminology, cause both us and all our customers use that terminology, including for MI managers etc.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

mehall posted:

Major Incident?

Are you all just trolling me or is that genuinely not a standard terminology, cause both us and all our customers use that terminology, including for MI managers etc.

It's new to me, duder. What's the abbreviation for a minor incident?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Nth Doctor posted:

It's new to me, duder. What's the abbreviation for a minor incident?

Lower case.

mi

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

if it's not a Major Incident, then it's just an incident or a fault.

Whereas a Major Incident is something that's likely to cause us a bunch of money if it stays down for long, or affect our brand.

Again though it seems to be a standard term to me. Maybe it's a UK thing.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mehall posted:

. Maybe it's a UK thing.

I think it's that. I just got through ITIL v3 training and they just call everything an incident, and you just have various urgencies for them.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Here let me help:

mehall posted:

CC added to MD TM.

I'm on a SD, CF.
There was a NP becoming POOR, with an EC moving from their OSD to us.

Apparently we had an MI while I was OL, and this was SKO a WS where our IR had BTW FI due to the MI taking FTGR.

OTC, the rep from OIR didn't STWTT about TIIQ/IF, and instead talk IGAI they've seen when TTU and ODs supporting TSP.

One of MC on the call spotted IAEOS while TRR was SSing that TPCR was AIB OIR and the EV.
They're basically trying to FSETB, and TGS because WFOR in TSM.

(Shame my OM will RO and LTR TSM to make us AFAT IF but OW)

I think this makes me an honorary C-level now?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Seriously. The other groups listened to us after that and disabled smb1 across the board, and I believe the 911 people are going to be executed by firing squad(hopefully). Biggest near miss I ever saw.

This literally just made me turn off SMB1 in my home servers. Thank you, thread.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sheep posted:

Here let me help:

I think this makes me an honorary C-level now?

Yeah, the level of C that’s only appropriate in the UK (and Australia).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mehall posted:

Maybe it's a UK thing.

Never heard it

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Thanks Ants posted:

Never heard it

Its an Albany expression

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

mehall posted:

if it's not a Major Incident, then it's just an incident or a fault.

Whereas a Major Incident is something that's likely to cause us a bunch of money if it stays down for long, or affect our brand.

New to me. Most places I've seen (including government) use a Severity {1,2,3,..} rating.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Lower case.

mi

Common mistake; a major incident is MI, a minor incident is MiI.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sormus posted:

Its an Albany expression

Can I see it?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

..It doesn't concern you No.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

New to me. Most places I've seen (including government) use a Severity {1,2,3,..} rating.

Common mistake; a major incident is MI, a minor incident is MiI.

To be clear, we still use a severity rating, but some things might be a severity 1 (whole circuit is down) but not a Major incident (Site closed for national holiday, or is a triple redundant link) whereas lower severity things might be a Major incident.
(Our customers love to insist that if DTMF tones stop working it's an MI, even though that's a severity 3, for example)

e: also, A+ on the C**ts joke and the Steamed Hams reference.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mehall posted:

Oh yeah ok now I've heard of that. If you have 5 major incidents and your poo poo goes down again, you have to deal with MI-6

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No, MI-6 is when your overseas datacenter link drops. You're thinking of MI-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ilkhan posted:

My home computer, but its a head scratcher so wtf.

Home built machine
Asus Z97M-Plus
Windows 10

SATA port 1: 850 Pro 250GB
SATA port 2: random 1TB spinner
m.2: Brand new WD Black 250GB

Computer works fine on the existing OS (850 pro). I unplugged both existing drives, plugged in the new m.2, booted off USB and installed windows 10, exactly like normal.

Reboot.
Load back to the installer.
ok, its booting the flash drive again.
Unplug flash drive, reboot.
Loads to the loving UEFI.
uhhh.
umm, wtf?
Plug old drives back in, loads old copy of windows fine.

WTF am I missing? The flash was UEFI and it showed UEFI in the boot option when I selected it. Secure boot is on, but with a fresh install and no other drives involved it should boot to the new OS, right? The goal here is to load the old SSD with linux, but continue using it until the new copy of windows is up to speed.

Z97 is the first set of boards with support for NVMe M.2 so it's possible your BIOS is out of date and/or somehow doesn't quite support NVMe. I don't think you can expect rock-solid NVMe support until Z...270? Whatever the next set of Z-series chipsets were after Z97.