Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, the only problem Nicalis has nowadays seems to be pricing, but fifteen dollars is a fair price for Ikaruga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Gann Jerrod posted:

More Nindies news, Lumines Remastered is coming out June 26. A little later than I’d like, but it’s worth it to have one of the best puzzle games on the Switch.

I got my hopes up and then realized that lumines isn't meteos.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Is it "Nicalis are better now" or "Nicalis are on consoles that are more friendly to post - release patches"? Not being an rear end just curious. The main games I recall them getting poo poo for were Cave Story and La-Mulana, both of which were on the Wii

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

It's hard to guage what was actually bad with Cave Story since the Wii was the first version I played which, to me, had small bugs and a translation that seemed alright but fans deemed terrible.

I heard bad things about Binding of Isaac for Wii U, no idea about the Switch port, though...you may be on to something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jetpackhewy posted:

It's hard to guage what was actually bad with Cave Story since the Wii was the first version I played which, to me, had small bugs and a translation that seemed alright but fans deemed terrible.

I heard bad things about Binding of Isaac for Wii U, no idea about the Switch port, though...you may be on to something.

Isaac is really good on Switch and is about to get the final content updates to make it par with the PC version.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

jetpackhewy posted:

Maybe it got fixed but Binding of Issac on New 3DS was rear end when it launched

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fawf posted:

Maybe it got fixed but Binding of Issac on New 3DS was rear end when it launched

I think it's fair to say Nicalis isn't great at lower powered console optimization and the patch approval turnaround didn't/isn't doing them favors, but at least on the switch they're not biting off more than they can chew on any individual port.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sudden Javelin posted:

Is it "Nicalis are better now" or "Nicalis are on consoles that are more friendly to post - release patches"? Not being an rear end just curious. The main games I recall them getting poo poo for were Cave Story and La-Mulana, both of which were on the Wii

I remember 1001 Spikes's port getting trashed too

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Augus posted:

I remember 1001 Spikes's port getting trashed too

I'm trying to remember, I think a patch came out with a bug that just plain disabled some buttons on the controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

1001 is coming to Switch. Hopefully that port is free of issues.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

elf help book posted:

I'm trying to remember, I think a patch came out with a bug that just plain disabled some buttons on the controller.

Left was Up, and there was no other Left, IIRC.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Takoluka posted:

Left was Up, and there was no other Left, IIRC.

lmfao thank you

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Binding of Isaac on Switch is good, but for the first 8 months there was a bug that didn’t let you unlock an item which then in turn didn’t let you unlock a challenge. Which leads me to believe that “Nintendo making it incredibly easy to port from PC” was more true than “Nicalis has gotten better”. Isaac still has slow down issues on the Switch that it really has no reason to be when looking at the complexity of other games released for the console.

Also, they really gave PS4 players a big gently caress you by promising Afterbirth + and then announcing and releasing the switch version of Afterbirth + and then waiting 7-8 months after the Switch version to finally release it for PS4.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop (all releases May 3, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EDT/9am PDT for NA, 15.00 CEST/14.00 BSTfor Europe.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Stakes Winner - $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
"STAKES WINNER" is a realistic jockey action game released in 1995 by SNK. Use skills such as showing the whip, formation split and hyper dash, collect items on the course, and power-up your beloved horse in this multifaceted game. Ride with your horse through a variety of races as you aim to conquer the GI.

Animal Super Squad - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (May 1)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Animal Super Squad is a physics-based adventure game that lets you play as your favourite animal. Speed through a world full of dangers and bananas. Create your own levels, share them with the community*, or forget all that nonsense and just play other people’s stuff.

Arcade Archives 10-Yard Fight - $7.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
"10-Yard Fight" is a sports game released in 1983 by IREM. Players can enjoy American football with its simple but intense play mechanics. Score touchdowns as you play against increasingly powerful opponents.

* This version also contains the 1984 version of VS 10-Yard Fight with the additional two-player mode.

Cast of the Seven Godsends - $12.99 / £9.99 / €12.99 (April 18 NA / May 3 EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Cast of the Seven Godsends harks back to the days when classic 2D, run ’n gun, action-shooter games ruled the arcades. Four levels of difficulty, six worlds to conquer, twelve mid and end-of-level bosses, seven god-like armour sets, five basic weapons and 35 magic combat spells!

Don't Die, Mr. Robot! DX - $8.99 / £7.19 / €7.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Don’t Die, Mr. Robot! DX is a remixed version of the much-loved arcade bullet-hell avoid ‘em up, completely remastered and rejuvenated for Nintendo Switch. Deep in the electro-abyss lives a little robot who loves to eat exploding fruit. He also likes staying alive. That’s where you come in... Get the fruit. Avoid the enemies. Try not to die. (Spoilers: you will die)

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99 (May 4)
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
Barrel-blast into a critically acclaimed Donkey Kong adventure as this beloved franchise makes its Nintendo Switch™ debut with a banana-bunch of new features. Traverse islands packed with platforming perfection and nonstop action as the classic Kongs in the original game, or mix things up by playing the story as Funky Kong in new Funky Mode!

Japanese Mah-Jongg - $5.00 / £ ? / € ? (May 4)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Easy play Mah-jongg! 2 players available with single device! You can enjoy Mah-jongg, one of major table games easily with Japanese Mah-jongg. 2 Players mode is enjoying competition with your friend by hiding your hand with single device. "How to Play", "Hands list" and "Glossary" are also available for Mah-jongg beginners.

Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Sly Spy - $6.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
It is the year 199X, Secret Agent Sly must protect the U.S. from a nuclear missile attack from the terrorist organization CWD (Council for World Domination). Play an arcade classic! Secret Agent: Use your jetpack and the golden gun and save the world from Evil.

Nihilumbra - $7.99 / £5.99 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Paint the world on your Nintendo Switch. Change ground physics using five colors. Discover the beautiful world of Nihilumbra and join Born on his adventure to find himself whilst trying to escape from his inevitable curse.

Perfect Angle - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Challenge your mind with puzzles based on optical illusions.Find the perfect angle by rotating the camera to clean up the chaos and find a shocking story fraught with twists.

Professional Construction - The Simulation - $39.99 / £ ? / € ?
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
Experience life on the construction site like the pros, and use heavy equipment and massive machinery. Enter an open world scenario to complete a large variety of assignments. There's no way you can get bored repairing roads and doing so much more. A wide range of heavy construction equipment stands ready for your use. Utilise pavement milling, bulky cement mixers, powerful dump trucks, practical mini excavators and more!

Timberman VS - $1.99 / £1.79 / €1.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Are you world-class wood chopper? Enter the digital forest and find out! Discover the Nintendo Switch version of this classic, casual game - slice and dice trees in an arcade-style, challenge your friends and be the fastest timberman alive!

Wii U
Rainbow Snake - $0.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Rainbow Snake Is A Beautiful Classic Game. Eating Food, Snake Painted In Different Colors. Collect a colorful snake and avoid the green walls. Over time, the snake is gaining speed!

New 3DS
3D Retro Dungeon Puzzle Challenge - $0.70 / £ ? / €?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
A short puzzle adventure game with unique levels. One of the best games under $1. The game starts with a brief tutorial. Then it ramps up with interactive puzzles and action. Ending with an epic boss battle. Please give it a try.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

irlZaphod posted:

New 3DS
3D Retro Dungeon Puzzle Challenge - $0.70 / £ ? / €?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
A short puzzle adventure game with unique levels. One of the best games under $1. The game starts with a brief tutorial. Then it ramps up with interactive puzzles and action. Ending with an epic boss battle. Please give it a try.
Please!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sudden Javelin posted:

Holy poo poo, you just reminded me that I still have Cave Story on my Wii :toot:

I've never beaten it, I really should one of these days.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I included that because it sounds pretty needy.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

irlZaphod posted:

Eating Food, Snake Painted In Different Colors.

Don't doxx me, thanks.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wow an actual mahjong game that's not just the solitaire thing that comes with Windows

doesn't sound like it has online play though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is Stakes Winner the new pocket jockey?

Also is rear end any good?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
rear end is hometown.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I want Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 digitally on my Switch. Do I get some kind of discount if I buy both?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, there's a discount that applies when you own one and buy the other, so the total price equals to $50 or whatever.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDq0FQS15o&t=87s
!!!!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Definitely Not Castlevania: We Have A Subtitle That Almost Is One Though

Please don't skip Rawhide "IGA" Kobayashi's intro.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Has anyone heard anything about playing Hyrule Warriors Ultimate Edition wireless co-op? Does it require two copies of the game? Does it run better than the WiiU version's co-op where not enough enemies would spawn so it made getting a high rank nearly impossible?

My wife and I were thinking about each picking up a copy but I haven't heard anything about the wireless co-op except that it exists.

Edit: maybe I should ask this in the Switch/Zelda thread instead.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 12, 2018

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Sudden Javelin posted:

Most likely the latter, and if I remember right Nicalis never actually published La-Mulana on the Wii because Nicalis, and some other publisher picked up the slack years after Nicalis's initial release date prediction. Nicalis is still bad.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy poo poo this kinda really rules?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nicalis is still bad.

Yeah this. It sucks that they own so many good IPs, because they really are the B-team of devs.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

I did not expect the "Retro spin-off" to be so... in-depth.

Then again Mighty/Gal Gunvolt Burst was pretty nice. And Inti knows their stuff so long as its not MM9.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

As a backer of Bloodstained, can they just finish the loving game already?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As a backer of Bloodstained, it's pretty great that the stretch goal minigame was conjured up out of nowhere by a separate team to release in two weeks and also looks good.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As a backer of Cryamore I stopped buying Kickstarter games.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dehry posted:

As a backer of Cryamore I stopped buying Kickstarter games.

This but Mighty Number 9

Phantasium posted:

As a backer of Bloodstained, it's pretty great that the stretch goal minigame was conjured up out of nowhere by a separate team to release in two weeks and also looks good.

I was going to say that Inticreates is just a company full of ex-Capcom devs that's responsible for the only good Mighty Number 9 game and also so far the only good Mega Man spiritual successor (even if it's by way of MMZ), but I have no idea how involved directly they are with the Bloodstained dev work either.

I will say that all things considered yeah it's probably two different teams working on each portion. It wouldn't surprise me if Inti has a dedicated "retro" team ever since Blaster Master Zero came out and was good, and they can bang out games with a lot less "fully rendered 2.5D ragdoll-enabled physics engine" overhead/artwork/etc required.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, there's a new Gunvolt game in development for the Switch as well. This one apparently exclusively staring Copen.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NETEc3R7bwg

Also as far as Megaman spiritual sequels go I thought Shovel Knight was pretty good as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 13, 2018

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Blaster Master Zero was so good that even if it doesn't become a re-born franchise with original entries, I still hope that they'll do that Genesis sequel at some point.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Augus posted:

Holy poo poo this kinda really rules?

Rip-off or not, this looks genuinely enjoyable and I look forward to it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, there's a new Gunvolt game in development for the Switch as well. This one apparently exclusively staring Copen.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NETEc3R7bwg

Also as far as Megaman spiritual sequels go I thought Shovel Knight was pretty good as well.

In my shameful defense shovel knight is so fantastically good that I've apparently ceased to register it as a "spiritual successor" to anything anymore. Not like Gunvolt being "MMZ but not" or Axiom Verge being "Metroid but not", it's just shovel knight.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd much sooner recommend Shovel Knight to a MM fan than Gunvolt - it's a fine series but it doesn't really play like any variety of MM and is more of a niche title in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'd much sooner recommend Shovel Knight to a MM fan than Gunvolt - it's a fine series but it doesn't really play like any variety of MM and is more of a niche title in general.

GV2 as Copen sort of does since you can get weapons from defeated bosses, said bosses have weaknesses to those weapons and his gameplay involves a more run and gun type of style but yeah, I agree. Though if I had to link it to something, the Zero series is probably the closest in style.

Also to be fair, Shovel Knight is more a tribute to NES platformers in general. The Megaman influence is clearly there but it's not the only source it takes inspiration from (there's a bit of Castlevania and Ducktales in there as well for example).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 13, 2018