Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

did someone just say the fundamental basis of capitalism is unsustainable?

Area Tech Worker Tantalizingly Close To Getting The Point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

why else would you invest in a company?

regular dividends from a strong long-term business model

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is very offtopic, but it is important to remember that is you time traveled back to, say, 1918, with an iphone se with a cracked screen it would be the most valuable object in the world by a vast margin. despite in fact being a duplicate of material that exists scattered in that time already. that differential is part of what motivates the stock market of today being fantastically valuable in 1918 terms

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

did someone just say the fundamental basis of capitalism is unsustainable?

Hell yeah Conrad

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is very offtopic, but it is important to remember that is you time traveled back to, say, 1918, with an iphone se with a cracked screen it would be the most valuable object in the world by a vast margin.

it would at best be a cracked mirror

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
im now picturing the start of 2001 except with the iphone and then the apes stick bones up their ears and are promptly clubbed to death by the other apes

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is very offtopic, but it is important to remember that is you time traveled back to, say, 1918, with an iphone se with a cracked screen it would be the most valuable object in the world by a vast margin. despite in fact being a duplicate of material that exists scattered in that time already. that differential is part of what motivates the stock market of today being fantastically valuable in 1918 terms

it actually would be worseless since the operating system is a pos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yes, and i'm being 100% serious here, because you're using it wrong

why shouldn’t i be allowed to store a file in on ipad

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Stymie posted:

Area Tech Worker Tantalizingly Close To Getting The Point

hail satan stymie

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

exploded mummy posted:

im now picturing the start of 2001 except with the iphone and then the apes stick fruit up their bums

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

why shouldn’t i be allowed to store a file in on ipad

because that's not how it's made to be used. files are stored in apps, because files without apps are useless. this is and always has been the ios file interaction metaphor, i'm sorry you don't like it, maybe buy an android if you need to janitor your files

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spb posted:

it actually would be worseless since the operating system is a pos

the phone wouldn't work, the internet wouldn't work, the gps wouldn't work and the maps would all be inaccurate anyway. you wouldn't be able to show them youtubes or play your itunes music and it would run out of power in 24 hours and you couldn't recharge it.

super valuable

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

why else would you invest in a company?

damnit

i will not be trolled on this

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
nice breakdown of the beefy security coprocessor in the iMac pro, macs seem to be moving towards the iDevice security model at the hardware level

https://twitter.com/duosec/status/991738647585132544?s=21

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

the phone wouldn't work, the internet wouldn't work, the gps wouldn't work and the maps would all be inaccurate anyway. you wouldn't be able to show them youtubes or play your itunes music and it would run out of power in 24 hours and you couldn't recharge it.

super valuable

load it up with stuff, bring a charger and hope for the best. tech could be studied leading to early advancements. it would still be hella valuable because it’s impossible for the time

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Apple time travel fan fiction

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the hardest part would be finding somebody who was qualified enough to reverse engineer it that would be willing to meet or listen to you because if you think it’s all about who you know now boy would you be shocked by the early 20th century

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you could absolutely recharge it, electricity wasn't very well standardized in 1918 but the units certainly were and the voltage/frequency/amperage requirements are literally written on the plug

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the hardest part would be finding somebody who was qualified enough to reverse engineer it that would be willing to meet or listen to you because if you think it’s all about who you know now boy would you be shocked by the early 20th century

they'd have to invent 100 years of scientific progress. they wouldn't even be able to comprehend the transistor let alone modern fabs.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Shaggar posted:

they'd have to invent 100 years of scientific progress. they wouldn't even be able to comprehend the transistor let alone modern fabs.

p sure we can think of some yosposters to send 100 years back in time along with the iphone

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it would run out of power in 24 hours

that's being generous

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

you could absolutely recharge it, electricity wasn't very well standardized in 1918 but the units certainly were and the voltage/frequency/amperage requirements are literally written on the plug

if it's an apple phone it might even work just plugged into the wall light socket

those apple wall warts are astonishingly sophisticated. there's a whole switching psu in there. if you can find a/c power, of any description, you might be good to go right there.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

super valuable

Not only that but the operating system (not really sure what that is tbh, thing its like the screen when you oppen the phone maybe? not sure not sure) is a poiece of poo poo

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the hardest part would be showing someone the phone and not have them laugh at you for buying a ridiciouls pieoce of garbage operating system

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
*transported back to 1918 with an iPhone SE*

"This is an upgraded version of the last invention of a great man who shoved fruit up his rear end. And died. ... Some say he was a genius."

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

imagine what would happen if u went back to the 70's and handed woz a latest gen mac pro with the lovely keyboard

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's easy if u try

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I mean if you were to go back even to this morning and showed someone, a regular Joe, your goddamn pieocec of poo poo phone, they would spiut on your garbage consumer electronic piece of poo poo phone, call you a retard, throw you out of the Starbucks onto the street and wish you had died with the other Retards and gays in the Aushwitz labor camp.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

spb posted:

I mean if you were to go back even to this morning and showed someone, a regular Joe, your goddamn pieocec of poo poo phone, they would spiut on your garbage consumer electronic piece of poo poo phone, call you a retard, throw you out of the Starbucks onto the street and wish you had died with the other Retards and gays in the Aushwitz labor camp.

*looks at my phone that cost $1000+*

yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

those apple wall warts are astonishingly sophisticated. there's a whole switching psu in there. if you can find a/c power, of any description, you might be good to go right there.

i suppose that is true. 110vac is 110vac so you probably could keep it charged.

Shaggar posted:

i don't think they even had microscopes capable of seeing the transistors on a modern cpu back in 1918. the electron microscope was invented in the 30s. can you build an optical microscope that can see a feature ~20nm across?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol right on cue apple announces the largest stock buyback in history

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think they even had microscopes capable of seeing the transistors on a modern cpu back in 1918. the electron microscope was invented in the 30s. can you build an optical microscope that can see a feature ~20nm across?

no, its wavelength * 0.5

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

newest macos update broke displayport passthrough for docks

good work timb

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

nice breakdown of the beefy security coprocessor in the iMac pro, macs seem to be moving towards the iDevice security model at the hardware level

https://twitter.com/duosec/status/991738647585132544?s=21

neat

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The 2013 Mac Pro

It cost me about $8,000.

I've had to get the GPU's replaced repeatedly. I'm currently on GPU 4 and 5. It constantly has issues, mostly caused by overheating, in spite of the fact that I keep it in a well ventillated, cool, air conditioned spot.

Guess what? You can't cram a tower worth of computer parts into a tiny little cylinder and "cool" it with one single fan! The laws of thermodynamics still apply to you no matter how "bold" and "innovative" you are.

I've never been an Apple "fanboy" but this has actually caused me so much frustration that I've built a PC and switched to Windows full time. I have no loyalty to a company that blatantly disrespects their customers.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The 2013 Mac Pro

It cost me about $8,000.

I've had to get the GPU's replaced repeatedly. I'm currently on GPU 4 and 5. It constantly has issues, mostly caused by overheating, in spite of the fact that I keep it in a well ventillated, cool, air conditioned spot.

Guess what? You can't cram a tower worth of computer parts into a tiny little cylinder and "cool" it with one single fan! The laws of thermodynamics still apply to you no matter how "bold" and "innovative" you are.

I've never been an Apple "fanboy" but this has actually caused me so much frustration that I've built a PC and switched to Windows full time. I have no loyalty to a company that blatantly disrespects their customers.

I'm sorry, but if you saw the trash can pro and though "this is a product I should buy" then joke's on you.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Boiled Water posted:

newest macos update broke displayport passthrough for docks

good work timb

its broke displaylink which is a usb video card, it doesn't affect good docks

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

akadajet posted:

I'm sorry, but if you saw the trash can pro and though "this is a product I should buy" then joke's on you.

That piece of poo poo was 8 GRAND ?

You can right now get a 48 core 96 thread dual cpu server with 64 gigs of ram from dell for that kinda money.

this to me is on the level of paying thousands of dollars for star citizen spaceships or MONSTER golden cables.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
now all I can think about is stopping hitlers rise to power by getting him hooked on clash of clans in art college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

also source your quotes, cinci