Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
idk, a system that discourages people playing all day on their phones doesn't seem that bad to me. It's not like you pay for the game and then have to deal with microtransactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The games DO encourage you to play, they just start asking for money after a point. And then they ask for more tomorrow.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah, the harry potter game is super lovely with its ridiculous energy system but I don't think it's intrinsically bad.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

idk, a system that discourages people playing all day on their phones doesn't seem that bad to me. It's not like you pay for the game and then have to deal with microtransactions.

I would agree if you couldn’t buy energy (Kingdom of Loathing has worked fine with that model for a decade now), but being able to do that just turns it into encouraging people to pay to continue instead of discouraging them from playing constantly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tired Moritz posted:

You can quit playing for the day... or you can toss a few bucks :siren:AND KEEP PLAYING NOW:siren:. Rinse, repeat, for several hours and that "few bucks" adding up to $10-20+. Daily.

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah, the harry potter game is super lovely with its ridiculous energy system but I don't think it's intrinsically bad.

A game that instills gambling-like addiction patterns. Targeted at children.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tired Moritz posted:

It is though

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Tired Moritz posted:

is it really that odd for mobile games to have energy systems? just put the phone down

Funny enough, Jim addresses this exact argument in the video.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

there aren't any games that I know of that use those energy systems without putting a real-world price point on energy.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

there aren't any games that I know of that use those energy systems without putting a real-world price point on energy.

I mentioned Kingdom of Loathing earlier as one, but it’s kind of an outlier since I think it might be the first game to use that system at all? And it’s browser based, not a mobile game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It also actively makes it easier to get more energy the longer you play rather than the inverse, and it's real world priced stuff generally didn't interact heavily with the energy system.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Yardbomb posted:

FC5 teased so many things and then didn't do anything but go skin deep on them which is a drat shame, they wanted to have bits and pieces from redhats, neo-nazis, branch davidians, sovcits, preppers, 'militias', jonestown, all this poo poo and then they neglected to add any meat to the bones. Game's still a lot of fun, but man they botched the story an unbelievable amount.

Also I want to agree with a chunk of that video at least when they're actually talking about Far Cry 5, but so much of the "Far Cry 2's mechanics actually said this and this and that" stuff made me go what. Like I'm pretty sure the respawning checkpoints and malaria weren't a statement about futility dude and the fire mechanics while neat, weren't actually that much of a game defining feature for me or some introspection causing event that made me think about the fires of war being spontaneous, using "These bases and areas only had 1 way in but it's actually a better design even though it ruins different ways of playing" was another one that stood out as weird too, it just kind of sounds like better game design as opposed to being "empowering" that they let you actually use a different skillset to do what you were trying to do.

I don't think we should write off what those mechanic lead to even if they probably weren't as intentional as Campster suggests, and clearly the devs had some understanding of what the gameplay meant in terms of how the game's themes were communicated to the player.

Also he doesn't say that having one vector of approach to the bases was better design, it's that it was part of the kind of dis-empowered design in Far Cry 2 that added up to create that sense of entropy and lack of player control over the battles that stands in stark contrast to the later games, and most other shooters for that matter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

Nobody expected them to tackle anything out of the gate, they were free to make the next Far Cry into anything for any reason they pleased. It was a deliberate marketing strategy by the publishers to tease that the game was going to be about Christian fundamentalism and America's militia culture. Either the game was conceived to include those themes in the early stages but concerns over potential backlashes hurting Ubisoft's profit margins made them scale it all back to this, or the final product was the intention all along and the marketers figured it'd be an easy way to drum up some buzz and inflate pre-orders and first day sales.
Bethesda's marketing team did the same thing for Wolfenstein 2 when the game really wasn't trying to make a connection between the alt-right movement and the OG Nazis. So people going in expecting the game to be a condemnation of modern day us politics were also deceived by marketing. At least in Wolfenstein's case it did have something to say about America's susceptibility to fascism, but also about how the American spirit is a thing that can be harnessed against all tyrants. So it came off better than far cry 5 because it wasn't defanged on release, just somewhat misrepresented.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There were definitely some swings at the alt-right in TNC.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, but if I recall correctly mostly in the form of stuff like text logs that would be easy to shove in late in dev.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
ContraPoints as a new video about Jordan Peterson up. Peterson's philosophy has always seemed too abstract and incomprehensible for me, so I'm glad to hear Contra break down his actual positions.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

At least in Wolfenstein's case it did have something to say about America's susceptibility to fascism
Not just susceptibility, but home-grown flavours. Grace Walker gets a lot of air time to excoriate BJ for his naive "fascism is totally un-American!" rah rah attitude.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

I mean the whole reason people are on their phones all day is because they supply a variety of distractions plus constant notifications of NEW CONTENT CHECK IT OUT NOW!!! so even if the game weren't a blatant attempt to claw cash from children, I think the reaction to wait times would be less "Oh, I should put the phone down and do stuff in real life," more "OK time to switch to twitter/facebook and see what's new there for a while."

There's ways to combat phone addiction, and this is not any of them. If anything, the wait encourages periodic checks to see if you can play again, instead of just ignoring the phone.

I used to play a lot of trashy romance visual novel games on the cell, and they've gone from "slightly annoying but enjoyable without cash" to "pretty much don't bother unless you're willing to fork over the cash." It's very much a ruthless moneygrab, and thinking it's anything else is super naive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best way to combat phone addiction is to make life less boring on the reg. :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Augus posted:

so uh I had no idea this was a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_BU4tc6RE
how does this fit into the forced analogy where trump is voldemort?

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBN_dEA4jO0

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Augus posted:

Maybe I’ve just never digged hard enough, but I don’t think you can buy stamina restoration for Fire Emblem Heroes either directly with money or with the currency you can pay real money for.

That’s about the only one I know of though.

EDIT: never mind, I was completely wrong. I’ve just never looked because they shower you in stamina potions for free so I have like 200.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FoldableHuman posted:

Not just susceptibility, but home-grown flavours. Grace Walker gets a lot of air time to excoriate BJ for his naive "fascism is totally un-American!" rah rah attitude.

It's a shame Jimi Hendrix died in New Order because the scene where he chews out BJ for American racism before dropping acid and playing Voodoo Child is amazing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Augus posted:

so uh I had no idea this was a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_BU4tc6RE
how does this fit into the forced analogy where trump is voldemort?

I mean, these sorts of games are a bit silly but the biggest thing is that Harry Potter is absolutely not primarily for children anymore. I would bet money that the most avid players of this HP game are like, 23.

That doesn't make its business model good or anything, but we don't have to "think of the children!!!!" this particular game

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's a shame Jimi Hendrix died in New Order because the scene where he chews out BJ for American racism before dropping acid and playing Voodoo Child is amazing.

It's also much better written and paced than most of New Colossus.

Going back to Far Cry 5, Ubisoft was always insistent that the game had been in developed since circa 2015, it was the media who were pushing the "Far Cry 5 is a MAGA killing simulator" angle. It's clear from playing that while the game has potshots on both side of the US political spectrum (someone tosses around the insult "Libtard" at one point, but that's really as deep as knocking the left gets), it's very much left-leaning politically.

People like Errant Signal (who hasn't made a single good video since he left Spoiler Warning) who were looking for deeper political meaning in this game are comparable to people who try and strike gold in a silver mine; they're looking for something that was never there in the first place.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The whole sequence in New Order was neat but it felt like window dressing. You don't really interact with J all that much. While his dialogue actually talked about something, I felt like the stuff was Tesla was a whole lot better and you could get a better sense of BJ's relationship with her. They also tied into her mindset and calculations into the gameplay during the raid of the HQ.

The New Colossus was better written, even though the tone dramatically shifts from the first game (and some returning characters kind of being dialed up to 11). L

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean, these sorts of games are a bit silly but the biggest thing is that Harry Potter is absolutely not primarily for children anymore. I would bet money that the most avid players of this HP game are like, 23.

That doesn't make its business model good or anything, but we don't have to "think of the children!!!!" this particular game

I know that a lot of the original readers have grown up (I was one of them) but it's still very much a thing that children are still into. A lot of people playing are probably adults but I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of kids playing too. Children's classics don't go out of style.
Why are people so adamant about defending developers very obviously using an addictive model?

I might be biased because my dad is a gambling addict who would have ruined his and my mother's lives if she hadn't had her own savings. Especially because people around him didn't take it as seriously as other addictions so he would constantly be enabled and my mom would get chastised for how tough she was on him. "It's not like he's shooting up or drinking every day!". No he just constantly lied to cover it up and spend their entire life savings. I really do not want my (or anyone's) future kids to get groomed into that.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 2, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yes, I am sure that the "E for Everyone" game featuring cute kids going to Hogwarts was not intended for children to play.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow, thats a really low tactic I haven't heard of yet. Not only do you need energy, but you are also timed in FINISHING something. So if you decide to not spend money, its possible to be literally incapable of finishing a thing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

some goons made one of those lovely apps after their pc kart racer failed and it ended up being apple's app of the year.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

GoneRampant posted:

People like Errant Signal (who hasn't made a single good video since he left Spoiler Warning) who were looking for deeper political meaning in this game are comparable to people who try and strike gold in a silver mine; they're looking for something that was never there in the first place.

Tiny Brain: Far Cry 5 is a shallow philosophical compromise that is ultimately conservative in outlook, largely as a product of the politics inherent in being a massively expensive game, that doesn't even manage the still shallow but decidedly coherent opinions of Far Cry 2

Galaxy Brain: lol u dum dum what did u expect?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
it should also be said that that Harry Potter game has that second timer that resets your missions if you dont finish them in time, which seems to me like its just there to force players to pay up so they dont get stuck on energy timeouts

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FoldableHuman posted:

Tiny Brain: Far Cry 5 is a shallow philosophical compromise that is ultimately conservative in outlook, largely as a product of the politics inherent in being a massively expensive game, that doesn't even manage the still shallow but decidedly coherent opinions of Far Cry 2

Galaxy Brain: lol u dum dum what did u expect?

Cool story bro. Points for the dated meme.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I'm sure Ubisoft will take this all to heart for Far Cry 6 and definitely not make another game that will make them the max money with the most cost efficient amount of spin.

Your how old and expected what?

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 2, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Far Cry 5 looks like a fun game to play that I would forget immediately after finishing

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

Far Cry 5 looks like a fun game to play that I would forget immediately after finishing

Yeah, pretty much. I played it two weeks ago and the only characters whose names I can remember off the top of my head are the cat and the bear.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK I lie I will remember the guy who yells IM SCOOTIN but that's really more me remembering Vinesauce streams

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

The whole sequence in New Order was neat but it felt like window dressing. You don't really interact with J all that much. While his dialogue actually talked about something, I felt like the stuff was Tesla was a whole lot better and you could get a better sense of BJ's relationship with her. They also tied into her mindset and calculations into the gameplay during the raid of the HQ.

The New Colossus was better written, even though the tone dramatically shifts from the first game (and some returning characters kind of being dialed up to 11). L

The Wyatt timeline for both games does feel somewhat tacked on, because the Fergus timeline in New Order really hammers home the game's theme of the old geezers going out for one last hurrah as a bookend to WW2 games in general. And I like Tekla a lot as well. I love the Hendrix scenes but he is tacked on as is Wyatt.

New Colossus's first half is much better written than the back half, because it is essentially BJ's purgatory after his "death" at the end of New Order. Once he gets his new body, the game becomes a lot more fun to play, but the story kinda goes insane.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GoneRampant posted:

Galaxy Brain will never go out of style.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

GoneRampant posted:

That meme was way more dated than galaxy brain

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GoneRampant posted:

galaxy brain is loving evergreen you chump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Meinberg posted:

ContraPoints as a new video about Jordan Peterson up. Peterson's philosophy has always seemed too abstract and incomprehensible for me, so I'm glad to hear Contra break down his actual positions.

She should stop doing skits. Her comic delivery is terrible.