Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GoneRampant posted:

People like Errant Signal (who hasn't made a single good video since he left Spoiler Warning) who were looking for deeper political meaning in this game are comparable to people who try and strike gold in a silver mine; they're looking for something that was never there in the first place.

No? He's upfront about not expecting much, if any of an intentional message in a modern AAA game. He's talking about what you're left with in that void since you can't actually just "say nothing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SunAndSpring posted:

She should stop doing skits. Her comic delivery is terrible.

To be fair I think badly done skits is required from anyone posted in this thread.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This entire thread is a badly done skit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dean of Swing posted:

I'm sure Ubisoft will take this all to heart for Far Cry 6 and definitely not make another game that will make them the max money with the most cost efficient amount of spin.

Your how old and expected what?

sir I think you wandered into the wrong thread

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Aristocrats!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This thread is badly done poo poo!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

FoldableHuman posted:

Tiny Brain: Far Cry 5 is a shallow philosophical compromise that is ultimately conservative in outlook, largely as a product of the politics inherent in being a massively expensive game, that doesn't even manage the still shallow but decidedly coherent opinions of Far Cry 2

Galaxy Brain: lol u dum dum what did u expect?

Haha, didn't Campster used to post here actually?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why do gamers think that criticism implies outrage
is it because outrage is their natural state of being so they just assume that everyone else is doing it too

rhetorical questions. gently caress video games

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 2, 2018

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like all one has to do is look at Channel Awesome to conclude that most people should never attempt skits. Red Letter Media is the only internet reviewer group that can make a decent skit and even they are mostly hit and miss.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like all one has to do is look at Channel Awesome to conclude that most people should never attempt skits. Red Letter Media is the only internet reviewer group that can make a decent skit and even they are mostly hit and miss.

To be fair the skits were some of the best parts of the new Hbomb imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Junpei Hyde posted:

To be fair the skits were some of the best parts of the new Hbomb imo

calling that "skits" is an insult
it's an avant-garde masterpiece that demands your respect.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SunAndSpring posted:

Mostly miss let’s be fair.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Augus posted:

calling that "skits" is an insult
it's an avant-garde masterpiece that demands your respect.

Good skits are still skits

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Augus posted:

why do gamers think that criticism implies outrage
is it because outrage is their natural state of being so they just assume that everyone else is doing it too

Same reason people think "I don't like that movie," or "That movie has some flaws," translates to "This movie is bad, and you are a bad person for liking it." Combined with a lot of gamers making the jump from "I am upset at what you said," to "You are obviously upset because you said something that upset me."

And/or flashbacks to that time when people complaining about violence in videogames led to a threat of industry censorship, even though that obviously went nowhere. SOMEWHERE, MOM IS LURKING, PLOTTING TO TAKE YOUR GAMES AWAY FOREVER!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The red letter media skits are dire garbage. They’ve long since put the umbrella of that tired double-irony “bad on purpose look we’re winking this isn’t a genuine attempt to be funny isn’t that funny?” they use when they’re ashamed of something.

But I guess they’re afraid their mid-30s teen audience would be mad if they just spoke honestly about movies they had something to say about.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

Tiny Brain: Far Cry 5 is a shallow philosophical compromise that is ultimately conservative in outlook, largely as a product of the politics inherent in being a massively expensive game, that doesn't even manage the still shallow but decidedly coherent opinions of Far Cry 2

Galaxy Brain: lol u dum dum what did u expect?

Lizard Brain: Trying to read political intent or message from game mechanics or designs decisions is sketchy

Universe Brain: They should bring back Jack Carver in the next Far Cry game.

As far as the endings to FC5 go, I came across this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzx3JGB0QPU), which might shine a little light into why it was like that.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Augus posted:

We are on the same page, my hearty goon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

business hammocks posted:

The red letter media skits are dire garbage. They’ve long since put the umbrella of that tired double-irony “bad on purpose look we’re winking this isn’t a genuine attempt to be funny isn’t that funny?” they use when they’re ashamed of something.

But I guess they’re afraid their mid-30s teen audience would be mad if they just spoke honestly about movies they had something to say about.

Lol never mind they are actually good

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Or maybe reviewers who do skits just like doing skits

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shouldn’t do skits cuz they’re funny just talking. their funniest poo poo is in their dvd commentaries but nobody listens those.

ive only ever watched one linkara but I guess his reviews have a continuity and weird plot line and poo poo? Lol if so.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wonder what my reaction would be if I went back in time and told myself that Farcry 3 will end up holding up the best out of the entire series.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Idran posted:

Or maybe reviewers who do skits just like doing skits

sometimes a skit is just a skit

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dean of Swing posted:

I'm sure Ubisoft will take this all to heart for Far Cry 6 and definitely not make another game that will make them the max money with the most cost efficient amount of spin.

Your how old and expected what?

Watch Dogs 2 is good, though, which was I think shocking to everyone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They have some weird fear of just speaking directly. Mike’s analysis especially hides a tender optimistic star-trek heart under cold nihilism. Why bring up loving Star Trek every review if you don’t see things through softhearted optimism?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

John Murdoch posted:

I wonder what my reaction would be if I went back in time and told myself that Farcry 3 will end up holding up the best out of the entire series.

4's just 3 but better, 5 plays better than 4 but with worse story, I dunno 3 just never did anything at all for me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They have some weird fear of just speaking directly. Mike’s analysis especially hides a tender optimistic star-trek heart under cold nihilism. Why bring up loving Star Trek every review if you don’t see things through softhearted optimism?

it’s funny.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I saw 40 new replies in the Internet Critic thread and was pleasantly surprised to see it was the fun kind of stupid rather than the usual kind.

I'd post content but Noah Gervais's Far Cry video isn't done rendering yet
https://twitter.com/MrGervaisWrites/status/991669288275656704

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

4's just 3 but better, 5 plays better than 4 but with worse story, I dunno 3 just never did anything at all for me.

4's gameplay is generally more refined, but everything else...eh. Didn't care for the setting, didn't care for the characters, and a lot of the improvements didn't amount to much. I might change my opinion if/when I go back to it, but it failed to grab me in the same way 3 did despite its faults.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

Does that include Blood Dragon? I like FC3 and Blood Dragon okay (haven't played any of the games since then), but while Blood Dragon's goofy 80s sci-fi theme was fun, I remember some of the mechanics in feeling like a step back from the base FC3.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Call me crazy, but I think that 3's story and mechanics added up to something more interesting than it's usually given credit for.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

I saw 40 new replies in the Internet Critic thread and was pleasantly surprised to see it was the fun kind of stupid rather than the usual kind.

Mama Mia

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

Call me crazy, but I think that 3's story and mechanics added up to something more interesting than it's usually given credit for.

I feel like Far Cry 3 came out right before Ubisoft began to run the whole "climb towers to find collectables and clear out outposts" formula to the ground so it feels pretty fresh and really good to play. Even now the gunplay still holds up really well. Vaas helps raise a good-if-not-great script to something great, but his absence is keenly felt in the second half.

Weirdly, what I otherwise remember from Far Cry 3 is that I got really good at poker in that and Watch Dogs for like six months before I suddenly became awful again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alacron posted:

My body is not ready.

Edit: Then again I guess it’s probably? the biggest series he’s done, at least in number of titles depending on what he wants to cover. There’s Far Cry, it’s console re-releases which changed some stuff, 2, 3, Blood Dragon, 4, maybe the Yeti thing from 4, and 5.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 3, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Wyatt timeline for both games does feel somewhat tacked on, because the Fergus timeline in New Order really hammers home the game's theme of the old geezers going out for one last hurrah as a bookend to WW2 games in general. And I like Tekla a lot as well. I love the Hendrix scenes but he is tacked on as is Wyatt.

New Colossus's first half is much better written than the back half, because it is essentially BJ's purgatory after his "death" at the end of New Order. Once he gets his new body, the game becomes a lot more fun to play, but the story kinda goes insane.
I played through NC recently and it felt like it ended rather abruptly, IMO. All of a sudden it was over.

The story was pretty bonkers to begin with, but yeah, once you get your head cut off it goes into overdrive, like going to Venus to meet a syphilitic Hitler who shoots Reagan

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What about Far Cry: Quest for Fire?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

What about Far Cry: Quest for Fire?

Does anyone even remember Primal? Was it even that big a deal when it launched? I kinda remember it being buried between a few dozen AssCreed games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone even remember Primal? Was it even that big a deal when it launched? I kinda remember it being buried between a few dozen AssCreed games.

I mean "Influencers" were treating it like a big deal :shrug:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Primal was a really neat idea but not that amazing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

My body is not ready.

Edit: Then again I guess it’s probably? the biggest series he’s done, at least in number of titles depending on what he wants to cover. There’s Far Cry, it’s console re-releases which changed some stuff, 2, 3, Blood Dragon, 4, maybe the Yeti thing from 4, and 5.
He also did all the Call of Duty games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Re-view, which is their only show where they do that, has no skits???