Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

C :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
Miramie Mesmer has forgotten a lot about herself, but one fundamental part of her nature is her World-Breaker's Hand. She remembers using this power back when she was known as Melanie Malakh, before she crafted the Glass Dragon with the help of the Professor. No matter how much has gone wrong with her life, this ability always seems to stay with her. Sometimes, she's tempted to let loose, and see how much of reality she can unmake at once.

Looking down, she can imagine the world around her pushing, trying to compress her down to something insignificant. She stretches her fingers, and tears at the fabric of reality, perceiving a silent scream as some part of it dies.

She keeps tearing even as her own self seems to distort-

Kiri hears Miramie gasp and turns to face her. He has to take a step back. She's smiling in a bright and cheerful manner, but there's something about it that bothers him. Why this sudden change?

(Miramie loses a Normal Health Level!
Miramie loses 1 MP!
Miramie gains a 'Can't Sleep' wound!
Miramie gains 1 bonus XP for Suffering Corruption!
Miramie gains 1 point of Sickness!)

Scene 4

The next few days are pretty mundane for Chuubo. Even his dreams are quiet now, that strange girl in the mask seems to have suddenly stopped appearing. He's pretty glad when he finds the time to visit Old Molder.

This area is the victim of the 'Reality Ensues' phenomenon. There was an attempt at an industrial revolution, which sadly broke down. So now, there's no great centre of activity, just a mass of half-rendered dreams, and lots of robots.

Edging around a puddle of oil, Chuubo walks up to the home of Leonardo De Montreal (He's fairly sure that's his name, he should check when he finds him). It's some sort of warehouse, a sheet of metal serving as a door. Chuubo tries knocking, then resorts to making noise by shaking it back and forth.

After a few moments, there's a clanking noise, and a robot, dressed as a butler, pushes the sheet aside.

"+ GREETINGS. WELCOME TO THE ABODE OF THE GREATEST OF ALL WHO WALK THIS SURFACE. +"
"+ HE WHO HAS REKINDLED THE ATOMIC FIRE. +"
"+ HE WHO WILL DAM THE FLOOD. +"
"+ HE WHO IS NOT HOME AT PRESENT. +"

He pauses.

"+ WISHING BOY IDENTIFIED. WILL CONDUCT TO THE ENGINE AS REQUESTED. +"

A: Okay, Chuubo takes a look at this 'engine'.
B: No, Chuubo just needs to know where Leonardo is right now.
C: Could this thing be dangerous? Chuubo should run.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A

"All right. Do you know when he'll be back?"

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A: Okay, Chuubo takes a look at this 'engine'.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XX
B X
C

The robot leads Chuubo through workbenches covered with twitching, dripping components. There are sheets of metal with faces writhing on their surfaces, pieces of circuitry that resemble nervous systems, eyeballs on saucers, samples of skin with black protusions emerging like patches of clover.

Chuubo checks that there's a clear path between him and the exit.

They arrive in front of a familiar-looking machine.

"Hey, this looks like my engine! Well, a smaller version."

The robot swivels to face him. There's a click, and a recording begins to play.

"So, at last we me- at last you arrive. Do you see, Wishing Boy, what I have wrought? The culmination of your imaginative endeavours is as nothing compared to a mere sliver of my brilliant works. Are you afraid? Can an ant understand the capacities of an unfettered genius? You are speechless, yes? Perhaps you now await my permission to speak? Well, speak, fool! Sing my praises as you know you must! Cry out to the heavens in fear of my might! Grovel, not in fear, but because you know that I can be nothing less than your superior!"

Who is this guy again? I mean, I've seen him around, but I didn't think he was this friendly with me.

"I, who have beheld the faces behind the stars!"

Perhaps he was my lab partner?

"I, who have torn my heart from my chest!"

Well, I've certainly seen him at school.

"I, LEONARDO DE MONTREAL! Creator of the Incomparable Nightmare Engine!"

There's a sharp click as the recording comes to a halt.

"Do you know when he'll be back?"

"+ UNKNOWN. HE HAS SET UP A TEMPORARY BASE OF OPERATIONS IN FORTITUDE. +"

Fortitude!?

A: Okay, Chuubo should see what this 'engine' can do!
B: There must be some clue around here about Leonardo's plans.
C: On the subject of engines, the Wish-Granting Engine will be charged by now. Chuubo should head home and make a wish to address the situation.
D: Chuubo needs to find Leonardo as soon as possible, he should head over to Fortitude.
E: Something else.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A: Okay, Chuubo should see what this 'engine' can do!

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B X
C
D
E

Chuubo stands before the Incomparable Nightmare Engine.

"Okay, can you hear me?"

Nothing happens.

"Can I have an icecream?"

No response.

Chuubo steps forward and inspects the machine more closely. While it looks similar, he isn't getting the same feeling from it. It's not simply a scaled down model, a lot of the components seem to be missing. There also seems to be a set of controls, while his own engine simply receives voice commands.

"Excuse me, Mister Robot- What's your name?"

"+ ALVIN. +"

"How does this engine work?"

"+ BY MANIPULATING THOSE CONTROLS, THE STRESSES BETWEEN CONVENTIONAL PHYSICS AND NIGHTMARE TECHNOLOGY ARE EASED WITHIN A NARROW VOLUME. +"

Huh. That doesn't sound useful.

Chuubo starts to look around the rest of the laboratory, and discovers a set of plans laid out on a worktable. It's a diagram showing the whole of Town.

Fortitude, Horizon, Old Molder, all the regions are there. And beyond that, there is the Outside. Regions are marked there as well, but there's a lot of crossing out and scribbling. Tentative labels mark 'Russia', 'London' and 'Narnia'.

And between Town and the Outside, there's a rough ring, punctuated by squares at intervals.

A barrier? I don't remember seeing that.

Next to that, there's a graph, charting the movements of Outside Dust. The levels of activity shown indicate a massive increase in the amount of dust sweeping in. The majority is passing through Fortitude. Some of that is then reaching Chuubo's house.

A: If he's concerned about the dust, maybe there's something in this building that can deal with it? Chuubo should ask ALVIN.
B: Hold on, given how much technology Leonardo has at his disposal, perhaps he's got one of those 'mobile' phones? Does ALVIN know the number?
C: Chuubo should leave a note for Leonardo asking him to get into contact, then head home.
D: Something else?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A I think all three things can happen sequentially.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A: If he's concerned about the dust, maybe there's something in this building that can deal with it? Chuubo should ask ALVIN.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BC just to guarantee they don't get zero-voted

I think Toughy's right about the choices being compatible?

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
(Okay, Chuubo starts to attempt the actions...)

"Hey ALVIN, is there something here that can help deal with dust?"

"+ DUST? +"

ALVIN hands him something that looks like a hand-held vacuum cleaner.

This looks like it might do the trick!

"Thanks. And do you have Leonardo's phone number?"

A number appears on a screen on ALVIN's chest. He opens up a hatch on his left side, and pulls out a phone. On his right side, he opens a second hatch to reveal a phone dial.

"Oh, thanks."

Chuubo enters the number into the dial, and holds the phone up to his ear.

After a few moments, there's a click.

"Hello? Know that you have reached LEONARDO DE MONTREAL."

"Oh hey Leo, can I borrow this thing I've found here? I need something to deal with dust, and also-"

He's cut off by a spluttering noise.

"YOU? You want to- You're in my HOME?"

"Yeah, but you're in Fortitude now, right? I-"

"Touch NOTHING. I'm coming over right now, and I'd BETTER find my things UNTOUCHED."

(A little later...)

Leonardo glares at the container of Outside Dust as Chuubo eyes him nervously. He's wearing a white coat/uniform, and has a pair of goggles slung around his neck. His hair is purple (which is strange even around here) and his gaze is unsettlingly intense.

Leonardo shifts his gaze to Chuubo. He is still wearing his school uniform, with a neat tie. He's smiling besignly, with only a little strain apparent.

"You've seen the engine, Wishing Boy?"

"Yes, it's, er, impressive."

"I don't need to be told that."

He shakes the dust around and holds it up to the light.

"Okay, I suppose I could examine this, it'll be helpful to my other work. Hand me that microscope."

(Chuubo gains 1 bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

(As the chapter ends, Chuubo regains his missing point of Will, and Miramie regains her 1 MP!)

Chapter 2
Scene 1

It's a few days later. Chuubo has been trekking over to Leonardo's lab regularly.

The research is complete but Leonardo hasn't made a major breakthrough. The dust is essentially magical flotsam from the Outside that flows along 'cracks' or 'channels' in the surface of reality. It has potential worth, but it's not that interesting to study.

But its movements are indicators of greater things happening. There's been more of it recently, and its presence around Chuubo's house means that there's something interesting there.

Leonardo closes his notebook and scowls. Chuubo is lying on a bench staring at the ceiling. His dreams coalesce around him, forming into clouds and rainbows.

No wonder that idiot couldn't manage to build more than one thing. No appreciation of the worth of materials.

Leonardo walks to the back of the room, hauls a chest open, and pulls out a stringy, oily, mass of nightmares. It's time to give Chuubo a demonstration of how to apply oneself.

What should Leonardo start to build?

A: Start to build the Dusty Areas Methodical Analyser, an example of Nightmare Technology used to trace Outside Dust movements!
B: Start to build the Pesky Dust Repulsion Barrier, an example of Nightmare Technology used to repel Outside Dust!
C: Start to build the Indescribable Ice-cream Generator, an example of Nightmare Technology used to generate Ice-cream!

And how much Will should he use up?

i) Spend 1 Will!
ii) Spend 2 Will!
iii) Spend 4 Will!
iv) Spend 8 Will!

Added Leonardo's character sheet above. Updated other sheets.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B 4 will

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

C: Start to build the Indescribable Ice-cream Generator, an example of Nightmare Technology used to generate Ice-cream!
iii) Spend 4 Will!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A iii

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B X
C X

i)
ii)
iii) XXX
iv)

Getting the ideas confused in his enthusiasm, Leonardo builds the Pesky Methodical Dusty Ice-Cream Barghest, rushing through the process!

A monstrosity of black metal in the shape of a great hound, it looks at its creator and throws up. A puddle of vanilla-scented goop spreads across the floor. It twitches, falls over, and falls to pieces.

Embarassed, Leonardo looks up to find Chuubo looking at him with a puzzled expression.

"That was just practice, stop looking like that!"

(Leonardo hasn't expended any Will on this mistake. He tries again, spending 4 Will.)

A: Start building the Inexplicable Suspicion Sniffer, an example of Nightmare Technology used to detect secrets!
B: Start building the Magic 64 Ball, an example of Nightmare Technology used to answer questions about the Outside!
C: Start building the Reality Aberration Vehicle, an example of Nightmare Technology used to explore the Outside!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

:allears:

AC

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010

(What does 'AC' mean exactly? :raise:)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Twiler posted:

(What does 'AC' mean exactly? :raise:)

Approval voting.

I guess if you're opposed to approval voting, then just A?

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

Approval voting.

I guess if you're opposed to approval voting, then just A?

(Actually, we can give this a try. I'll consider the first choices to begin with, then move onto the secondary choices if we have a tie.)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C,B,A

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Twiler posted:

(Actually, we can give this a try. I'll consider the first choices to begin with, then move onto the secondary choices if we have a tie.)

You're proposing more of an instant-runoff thing (in approval voting each of a person's choices has the same weight), but really anything's better than single vote. Go with what feels right to you.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

C,B,A

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

What kind of nightmare vehicle will it be?

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B
C XXX

Leonardo De Montreal rapidly draws up some blueprints and starts to collect tools from all over his workshop.

Okay, we need enough eyestalks to cover all directions, tracks to run across unreal terrain, enough plating to create sufficient volume inside, a reliable steering mechanism... Maybe a cannon? Too far?

"Chuubo, come over and help me! This is for the sake of our future! We're going to put together a TANK and take a trip into the Outside!"

(Chuubo gains 1 Quest XP for 'Precious Memories'!)

The two of them scramble around, clearing off workbenches, Chuubo doing his best to follow Leonardo's incoherent gestures. He pauses suddenly.

"So, what does it run on?"

"...What?"

"It must still need some type of fuel, right? What do we need to collect?"

What can Leonardo make it run on?

A: Dreams?
B: Ice-cream?
C: Outside Dust?
D: Nightmares?
E: Books?
F: Something else?

Updated Miramie's character sheet to include some missing information.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C seems abundant

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

Where some see problems, I see solutions.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

C: Outside Dust

It has to be safer than nightmare fuel, right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

super sweet best pal posted:

C

Where some see problems, I see solutions.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C XXXX
D
E
F

"Outside Dust! That's what it will run on!"

Leonardo starts to put together a propulsion device that will induce movement in the tank's tracks via the controlled suspension of the standard laws of motion, using the traces of magic from Outside Dust as fuel. Chuubo can only vaguely follow the procedure, but it looks impressive.

(Leonardo gains 1 bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

"Yes, if I install a giant hose to collect the stuff, we can run it indefinitely when we're actually out there! Ah, hold on, we'll still need a lump amount to get the thing started."

Leonardo grabs a large jar from a workbench.

"Here Chuubo, make yourself useful and go fill this up. I'll finish up here."

Where should Chuubo go to collect the dust?

A: Chuubo's house.
B: The streets of Fortitude.
C: The library in Fortitude.

Vote by indicating your order of preference for these options.

Also, how is he going to collect it?

i) Collect the stuff by hand. (Spend 2 Will)
ii) Conjure up a vacuum cleaner to gather the dust. (Use 'Dreams Made Flesh')

Chuubo can only use 'Dreams Made Flesh' once per chapter without paying MP.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
(More backstory:)

Billy Sovereign grins maliciously as he looks down at Leonardo De Montreal. He's being held down by a group of Billy's followers. They are pale imitations of Billy himself, having less of the petty spite that defines his existence.

He tightens his grip on the railway spike he's holding, and drives it into Leonardo's chest-

-through the spot where his heart should be.

"Too...naive." Leonardo manages to gasp as the pain overwhelms him.

Later-

Billy screams and flails in the grasp of a burning horror, something called up from deep inside Leonardo's nightmares. Last week, Leonardo saw it consume the world (that is, the world as seen in Leonardo's nightmares), while laughing. To his irritation, while the flames clearly bother Billy, they don't seem to be killing him.

"This hardly seems fair."

With a gesture, he commands the horror to drop the boy. There's more important work to be done. The Wishing Boy has lessons that need to be learned, and the Child of the Sun needs to have checks run.

Scroll up for choices.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

i

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A > B > C

i) Collect the stuff by hand. (Spend 2 Will)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A since that's what got us out of the house today. C if it's gone from our house somehow.

And we probably have iii - some scoops and buckets or something* at home, but if we don't then i guess we can use our hands.

* Do not use Dreams Made Flesh if we somehow bafflingly do not have such commodity household items at home.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B i

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XX
B XX
C

(With secondary votes added:)

A XX
B XXX
C X

i) XXXX
ii)

Chapter 2
Scene 2

Chuubo walks around the streets of Fortitude until he finds a strong concentration of dust, and starts to scoop it up into the jar. It takes him a little while, but he gets the job done.

(Chuubo regains 1 Will for completing his task!)
(Chuubo gains 1 Quest XP for 'Learning the ways of Fortitude'!)

"Excuse me..."

Chuubo turns around to see a boy around his own age, wearing some strange baggy clothing. He's clutching a bag which is filled with Outside Dust in much the same way as Chuubo's jar.

"Are you aware that you're leaking dreams?"

"Huh? What does that mean?"

"I'm Edric Sosunov-"

Oh yes, one of the shrine families.

"-and I know that you shouldn't just leave them on display like this." He plucks a phantasmal ice-cream cone from the air. "Things like this can be turned against you, you know. You should keep them locked inside like everyone else."

Chuubo thinks carefully.

"But...It can't be that important if no-one's told me before, right?"

"Well, do your parents know you can do this?"

"Do what?"

"Manifest your dreams in this fashion."

"What fashion?"

Looking irritated, Edric waves the cone in front of Chuubo. "Like this. Who taught you this spell?"

Chuubo looks puzzled.

"That's not normal?"

"No. It isn't."

Huh. How long have I been doing that?

Edric closes his eyes, gestures, then squints at Chuubo.

"Hmm. There's something stuck inside you, that's probably not good."

Chuubo tries to see what it is, but it's like trying to examine the back of his own head.

(Chuubo gains 1 Quest XP for 'Haunted'!)

"It looks like a shard of glass-" Edric continues. "-shall I see if I can get it out?"

A: Okay, have him pull the shard out.
B: No, but visiting his shrine seems like a good idea. There'll be a whole of family of magicians there.
C: Leave all this till later. For now, the jar of dust needs to be brought back to the lab.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

B (C)

C (B)

You're right, I have no idea what I thought B said.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 7, 2018

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C,B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CB