Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Unmature posted:

My main goal in life is to own a little video store. Gonna be the weird old guy who tells teenagers to watch Eating Raoul

And then their parents will call the cops.

Also, I wonder how much of that movie will make sense to teenagers in 20-30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

for what it's worth, my experience of video stores was in the 90s, and if your video store wasn't a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video it was basically guaranteed to be the "cool" video store (and even Blockbuster had a surprising chance of being good). Major Video in Baton Rouge had loving everything, including a "Japanimation" section that I remember being badass as all hell because they had basically everything Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media ever put out on VHS.

Small world and all, but I have very fond memories of renting poo poo at Major Video and picking up Canes or Rotolos and watching movies all night while eating delicious trash food.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cemetry Gator posted:

America is just weird.

For example, I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds (it's enjoyable in its way) where they showed the murdered naked corpse of a woman.

They had no qualms about showing her mutilated body with a lot of blood, but she was positioned just so to prevent any one from seeing the nipple.

Another good example is The King's Speech. Rated R, why? Because he says gently caress more than once. Sure, it's otherwise lacking in objectionable material, but according to the MPAA, you need an adult to see that movie if you're 13 but Vin Diesel's XxX is perfectly fine, with the line "bitches, come."

America is just loving weird.
Hannibal, a show on NBC, was allowed to do this
:nws: https://i.imgur.com/vw78XUD.jpg :nws:
After they covered their butt cracks with more fake blood.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I always assumed someone on that show had something on the head of standards and practices because wow did Hannibal get away with a lot.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

for what it's worth, my experience of video stores was in the 90s, and if your video store wasn't a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video it was basically guaranteed to be the "cool" video store (and even Blockbuster had a surprising chance of being good). Major Video in Baton Rouge had loving everything, including a "Japanimation" section that I remember being badass as all hell because they had basically everything Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media ever put out on VHS.

I never had that experience. We went to a store in the mid-80's and I was too young to remember anything beyond the giant cardboard Pumpkinhead, and the Starbucks next door (original logo with bare mermaid titties). Then it was a tiny mom and pop shop that I was more interested in riding my bike up there to rent NES games.

Then we had a local chain called Encore which was just about everything you could want from a chain video store. $0.99 one day rentals on all new releases, a loyalty program where you could rent a movie for free every time you spent a certain amount on rentals. Most importantly a nice wide selection of everything, sounds a lot like that Major Video you mentioned. Sadly the chain died out when I was 17, and it didn't make it to the DVD era.

Encore was replaced with a few small shops, and a Blockbuster opened across the street, followed by a Hollywood video taking up about the last 1/4 of Encore's old space. Both of those had a fairly lacking selection overall compared to Encore, and it always just felt hollow walking into them. I never liked renting DVDs from them because it was about $8 each, and I could usually just go buy one for ~$18 new (with a much better selection)

I miss part of the ritual of the video store, but I feel like that experience is nearly extinct.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GrandpaPants posted:

I always assumed someone on that show had something on the head of standards and practices because wow did Hannibal get away with a lot.

Katz’s death and the totem full of bodies are two of the most gruesome things I’ve ever seen on network tv.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My home town had 2 awesome video rental stores. Video Magic and Premier Video. Last time i visited my parents Video Magic is still there, still full of people on Friday nights and still has the same drat dude working there after 20 years. Blows my mind. But everything in North Dakota is 10 years behind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HEY YOU GUYS!

I noticed on Amazon that there are a few different Infernal Affairs blu-rays. Anyone know if they're all the same transfer? Blu-ray.com only has a review about one of them. I was basically just wondering if it's all the same disc with a different cover.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

HEY YOU GUYS!

I noticed on Amazon that there are a few different Infernal Affairs blu-rays. Anyone know if they're all the same transfer? Blu-ray.com only has a review about one of them. I was basically just wondering if it's all the same disc with a different cover.

Blu-ray.com lists one each from the US and Canada, but with different artwork.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Katz’s death and the totem full of bodies are two of the most gruesome things I’ve ever seen on network tv.

I was so mad that the show only got three seasons; it probably would have lasted longer on cable. The spoilered part of your post is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen on TV.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

The Blockbuster in the next town over from me was surprisingly hip. They had a stock of VHS tapes well into the DVD era that was all manner of foreign films, horror films that were tough to come by, and just generally things that were hard to find or didn't make it to DVD yet. Among other things I remember renting Brazil, Delicatessen, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Akira, and the Blade Runner theatrical cut. Most of these things weren't on DVD or wouldn't be for years so the place was a god send. At that time this was pretty much the only way to see these things.

My first time seeing Hard Boiled was on a sketchy R0 DVD that Blockbuster had mixed in with the other foreign films, in about 2006-2007ish. They also had End of Evangelion at the same Blockbuster as late as 09 (in the loving kids movie section, for some ungodly reason, but still).

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Small world and all, but I have very fond memories of renting poo poo at Major Video and picking up Canes or Rotolos and watching movies all night while eating delicious trash food.

their game selection also loving owned, like, I think they literally had the entire US PS1 and N64 libraries plus a few import games here and there when I was a kid (and while childhood memory is probably exaggerating this, they definitely had some pretty outside-the-box stuff, like I remember renting the first Armored Core game I ever played from there, and Bomberman 64: The Second Attack which is literally the rarest and most expensive N64 game).

i really miss that place.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

CPL593H posted:

HEY YOU GUYS!

I only see US/UK/HK so probably not identical discs. The Honk Kong release (MegaStar) is supposed to be better, but probably not worth paying twice as much to import it if you just want the first film. Looks like there's no US release for the second or third though so if you're interested in them imports is the only option. Thr second isn't quite as good as the first but it's still very good and the third is fine. The UK trilogy set is priced well but region B, the HK about $60 to import (I usually use dddhouse).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You're forgetting the horse birth which was incredibly gruesome but S&P said it was ok as long as the dead woman's nipple wasn't shown as she came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ABcDwBVyXg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RevKrule posted:

You're forgetting the horse birth which was incredibly gruesome but S&P said it was ok as long as the dead woman's nipple wasn't shown as she came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ABcDwBVyXg

You didn't even use the best horse birth scene from that episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-fk58J08w

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My first time seeing Hard Boiled was on a sketchy R0 DVD that Blockbuster had mixed in with the other foreign films, in about 2006-2007ish. They also had End of Evangelion at the same Blockbuster as late as 09 (in the loving kids movie section, for some ungodly reason, but still).

Blockbuster putting hosed up adult animated films in the kids section because "cartoons are kids stuff, right?" is a universal thing. That's how I first saw Watership Down as a kid.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Shout! Factory are saints. :getin:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Holy poo poo. Needs a Paul Rudd commentary. I’ll always defend this piece of poo poo as it was one of my favorite films growing up, as I must’ve been dumb as poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nukie blu-ray when?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FancyMike posted:

I only see US/UK/HK so probably not identical discs. The Honk Kong release (MegaStar) is supposed to be better, but probably not worth paying twice as much to import it if you just want the first film. Looks like there's no US release for the second or third though so if you're interested in them imports is the only option. Thr second isn't quite as good as the first but it's still very good and the third is fine. The UK trilogy set is priced well but region B, the HK about $60 to import (I usually use dddhouse).

I've never seen the sequels and honestly, haven't ever wanted to. I can't imagine where else there is to go after the ending of that movie. Anyway, thanks for responding.

caligulamprey posted:

Really? Now they're just taunting me.

I BOYCOTT SHOUT FACTORY UNTIL THEY RELEASE A TAMMY AND THE T-REX BLU-RAY!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Thunderbean Animation's pre-order of Ub Iwerks' ComiColor Cartoons just went up:
https://swatthefly.wixsite.com/website

These should look amazing since they're new restorations from 4K scans of the Cinecolor camera negatives. Thunderbean's Willie Whopper (also by Ub Iwerks) set is amazing, too.

(Don't be scared by the amateurish website - this is literally a one person operation)

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Blockbuster putting hosed up adult animated films in the kids section because "cartoons are kids stuff, right?" is a universal thing. That's how I first saw Watership Down as a kid.

Also, who came up with this cover?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Shout Factory posted:

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

More zombies and “more brains!” are shambling into our factory this Summer! We’re super excited to report today that the highly-requested undead sequel RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD PART II is (finally) coming to Blu-ray!! Here are the early details we have at present time:

• This will be branded as a “Collector’s Edition” that will come with a slipcover (guaranteed for three months after its original release date). U.S. and Canada territories (Region A).

• The newly-commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from Graham Humphreys (who also illustrated our original ROTLD cover back in 2016). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will the original theatrical poster design.

• Extras and specs are still in progress and will be announced later in early July. However, we can confirm today that we will be doing a brand-new HD film transfer and will be correcting the soundtrack issues that were present on the previous DVD release.

• National street date is planned for August 14th. However, if you pre-order now for early shipping directly from us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/return-of-the-living-dead-part-ii-collector-s-edition?product_id=6790 you will also receive an 18' x 24" rolled poster of the newly-commissioned art. We’ll be only be producing 1,000 of the posters so act fast!

Damnit I can't believe what I just paid for this movie but I want that original sound track. Haven't heard it since the movie came out and this was one of the first horror movies I ever remember renting.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Steen71 posted:

Also, who came up with this cover?

Someone who seriously hates children.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Seriously how did Watership Down get made

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously how did Watership Down get made

Yeah, it was a different time. Martin Rosen haven't exactly been busy since that one and The Plague Dogs (which has now been postponed quite a bit - was supposed to come out in February originally). Apparently he worked on a Watership Down TV series which I've never seen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Disney was running a ramshackle operation in the 70s and a lot of small animation studios saw an opportunity to either muscle in or do stuff that proved that animation wasn't just for kids.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

caligulamprey posted:

I hope there is a compilation of all of Paul Rudd's appearances on Conan as a special feature

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

This is Amazing!

I always thought The Secret of NIMH was far more hosed up than Watership Down.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

FancyMike posted:

So, I remember the first time I saw the Departed. At first, I'm watching the film, and I'm just taken in by Scorsese's style. But then as the film is unfolding, I'm beginning to realize that these plot beats feel really familiar. It was the scene with the CD when I realized "Holy poo poo, this is Infernal Affairs!"

I'm a very strange movie nerd. I saw Infernal Affairs. But I didn't realize that the Departed was a remake of Infernal Affairs. I should be ashamed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

...! posted:

I was so mad that the show only got three seasons; it probably would have lasted longer on cable. The spoilered part of your post is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen on TV.

Hannibal lasted as long as it did because its financing was almost entirely from Gaumont; NBC paid almost nothing for the show, which is why they were content to let it go for a while. Then Fuller did a Fuller and demanded that NBC and Gaumont make a deal with Lifetime to get the rights to Clarice Starling and Buffalo Bill for a season 4, they looked at the viewership, and decided they weren't particularly interested in working with him anymore.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Which is too bad, I'd love to see his take on Starling and Gumb.

Edit: Since it is the physical media thread, I'd like to add that the Criterion disc of The Silence of the Lambs is utterly gorgeous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Edit: Since it is the physical media thread, I'd like to add that the Criterion disc of The Silence of the Lambs is utterly gorgeous.

Gotta see those made for tv titles in crystal clear 1080p quality

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That Clarice Starling show never did come out, did it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

That Clarice Starling show never did come out, did it?

No. Reportedly the rights to Silence reverted to Martha De Laurentiis last August, and Fuller made noise about getting the band back together for a fourth season, but presumably the financing never came together. (Fuller's reputation also really took a major hit over the last two years or so.)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Timby posted:

No. Reportedly the rights to Silence reverted to Martha De Laurentiis last August, and Fuller made noise about getting the band back together for a fourth season, but presumably the financing never came together. (Fuller's reputation also really took a major hit over the last two years or so.)

Yea Fuller's really throw a lot of dirt onto his own grave lately

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Wait, what happened with Fuller? I haven't kept up with TV in the past few years besides Twin Peaks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Almost Blue posted:

Wait, what happened with Fuller? I haven't kept up with TV in the past few years besides Twin Peaks

He signed up as showrunner for both Star Trek Discovery and American Gods at the same time, got caught up in American Gods and let Star Trek sit on the back burner and get delayed until CBS had to put their foot down and got someone else to produce it. Then after one season of American Gods he intentionally made some ridiculous budget demands so that the studio would have to say no, so that he had an excuse to leave and go work on Vampire Chronicles

He used to have a sterling reputation for trying hard and just having undeserved bad luck but now he looks unreliable and like someone who sabotages himself

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Almost Blue posted:

QuitFired from the Star Trek, not coming back to American Gods - getting a rep for being hard to work with and not super dependable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Almost Blue posted:

He left Star Trek Discovery for American Gods, and he left/got fired from American Gods because he couldn't stick to a budget. Hannibal getting 3 seasons is somewhat of a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheScott2K posted:

QuitFired from the Star Trek, not coming back to American Gods - getting a rep for being hard to work with and not super dependable.

It wasn't quitfired from Star Trek, he was flat-out, by his own admission, fired. After two delays which totaled more than half a year, CBS told him to poo poo or get off the pot, and he was finally canned after writing two scripts for what was, at the time, a thirteen-episode season -- and that was after two years of development time.

There was also American Gods, which ran horribly over-budget and then Fuller wanted $10 million an episode for the second season -- that's Game of Thrones money -- for a show that no one watched, Starz said no, then he threw a fit and went home.

He also got fired from Amazing Stories not terribly long ago.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 6, 2018