Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Augus posted:

why do gamers think that criticism implies outrage
is it because outrage is their natural state of being so they just assume that everyone else is doing it too

rhetorical questions. gently caress video games

Do you know what the definition of insanity is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Alacron posted:

I'd post content but Noah Gervais's Far Cry video isn't done rendering yet
https://twitter.com/MrGervaisWrites/status/991669288275656704

The fact that Noah Gervais doesn't really have a set schedule for videos just make them all that much more of a pleasant surprise. He's like the Easter Snake that slithers in through your bedroom window and leaves you a tiny present under your pillow.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Augus posted:

I mean "Influencers" were treating it like a big deal :shrug:

lol, suddenly everyone and their mother had a Primal video :D

Ubi never got in touch with me though, shame as I wouldn't have minded trying Far Cry: 10,000 BC.

I'm interested in playing 5 though really, only because I'm really jonesing to climb towers, raid bases, hunt with a bow and set things on fire...couldn't give a toss about the story tbh, sorry folks. FC3 remains one of my favourites of the last decade, mind.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

lol, suddenly everyone and their mother had a Primal video :D

Ubi never got in touch with me though, shame as I wouldn't have minded trying Far Cry: 10,000 BC.

I'm interested in playing 5 though really, only because I'm really jonesing to climb towers, raid bases, hunt with a bow and set things on fire...couldn't give a toss about the story tbh, sorry folks. FC3 remains one of my favourites of the last decade, mind.

bad news, there's no towers to climb, no point in hunting animals because there's nothing to craft, and the flamethrower is possibly the worst flamethrower i've ever used in a video game and that's saying something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Worse than the Killzone 2 flamethrower? Wow.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Alaois posted:

bad news, there's no towers to climb, no point in hunting animals because there's nothing to craft, and the flamethrower is possibly the worst flamethrower i've ever used in a video game and that's saying something

*throws chair*

Well how about you eat rear end

....aw man. Oh well, I suppose I could just play 3 again!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Worse than the Killzone 2 flamethrower? Wow.

Motherfucker you take that back! The Killzone 2 flamethrower is the best flamethrower in video games because it operates like an actual napalm flamethrower does.

Plus using it in the final boss fight makes the game amazingly hilarious because Radec will teleport around the boss arena on fire and constantly screaming in vocally modulated agony. It's great catharsis for that game's slowboat ride up river into madness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Motherfucker you take that back! The Killzone 2 flamethrower is the best flamethrower in video games because it operates like an actual napalm flamethrower does.

Plus using it in the final boss fight makes the game amazingly hilarious because Radec will teleport around the boss arena on fire and constantly screaming in vocally modulated agony. It's great catharsis for that game's slowboat ride up river into madness.

It's not as good as the Return to Castle Wolfenstein flamethrower.

Killzone 2 had some really dumb protagonists but its villains were great and the campaign is fun as hell and really well paced.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
It's weird the way the Killzone series came and went without leaving much of a mark, I remember when that was meant to be the Playstation's answer to Halo.

Though I guess the Resistance series was also meant to be the Playstation's answer to Halo and they vanished into the ether too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Killzone was fairly significant until Shadow Fall all but the franchise.

But we got Horizon Zero Dawn instead so it's not a total loss. And the original trilogy of games are pretty solid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Killzone was fairly significant until Shadow Fall all but the franchise.

But we got Horizon Zero Dawn instead so it's not a total loss. And the original trilogy of games are pretty solid.

Shadow Fall was used to testbed the Decima Engine while Horizon was in development. Though Guerrilla Games has said that now that Horizon and its DLC are finished they're gonna start on Killzone 5 next, so the franchise isn't exactly as dead as people have been proclaiming it to be.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Internet people with good skits:

Contrapoints
HBG
Phelous
Jenny Nicholson

I feel like good skits have to be either low-effort and short or balls to the wall insane with a focus on production value. The former, even if they're not great, they won't take up too much time; the latter, at the very least you can appreciate the craft.

Linkara's skits are crappy to me, but apparently there's multiple people who genuinely like them, so what do I know?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jenny Nicholson’s are sketch comedy designed to diagnose script problems, like half the stuff Cracked did before it died. That’s a little different than having Mr. Plinkett float his house on lake Erie for five minutes after talking about the robocop remake.

I guess I will grant you hbomb and contrapoints as being genuinely clever and conveying meaning most of the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Shadow Fall was used to testbed the Decima Engine while Horizon was in development. Though Guerrilla Games has said that now that Horizon and its DLC are finished they're gonna start on Killzone 5 next, so the franchise isn't exactly as dead as people have been proclaiming it to be.

I was not aware of that, and that's neat to hear. I'm interested to see where they go with things from hereon. Guerrilla stepped up their writing game with Horizon, so I hope they stick with their cold war scenario from Shadow Fall rather than going back to Space World War 2. Instead of trying to make a moral equivalency between the ISA and the Helghast, because even as sympathetic as the higs got, they're still genocidal nutbars, perhaps Guerrilla could examine how the Helghast identity has changed and how it can come to terms with its past atrocities.

All the while providing some fun shooting, of course.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

On one hand I'm not sure Socratic dialogue really counts as a "skit" in the way it's being used here.

On the other hand it's some ivory tower BS to presume that such decidedly theatrical rhetorical devices are above or better than "mere" skits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Joueur du Grenier has fun comedy too, but he’s basically a french version of the AVGN.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I was not aware of that, and that's neat to hear. I'm interested to see where they go with things from hereon. Guerrilla stepped up their writing game with Horizon, so I hope they stick with their cold war scenario from Shadow Fall rather than going back to Space World War 2. Instead of trying to make a moral equivalency between the ISA and the Helghast, because even as sympathetic as the higs got, they're still genocidal nutbars, perhaps Guerrilla could examine how the Helghast identity has changed and how it can come to terms with its past atrocities.

All the while providing some fun shooting, of course.

For what it's worth I'm doing a let's play of Shadow Fall right now where we look at all the stuff going on under the hood with the story and setting and such as well as poking fun at the game for its missteps and excesses.

There's no flamethrower in Shadow Fall though :negative:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Plato's Republic is just series of skits starring Socrates

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Diogenes was the Spoony of Greek philosophy

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Only a few historians know the dark secret that most of Plato's dialogues were between his normal self and him wearing a cheap anime wig, oftentimes ending with him pointing a toy sword at a scroll.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stillvisions posted:

Only a few historians know the dark secret that most of Plato's dialogues were between his normal self and him wearing a cheap anime wig, oftentimes ending with him pointing a toy sword at a scroll.

"Hel~lo, I'm the Preconceptional Critic. I postulate it so you don't have to!"

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

FoldableHuman posted:

On one hand I'm not sure Socratic dialogue really counts as a "skit" in the way it's being used here.

On the other hand it's some ivory tower BS to presume that such decidedly theatrical rhetorical devices are above or better than "mere" skits.

I'm mostly just going by whose skits are entertaining, regardless of the purpose or relevance. You can do socratic dialog skits and have them be crap skits, even if the information still gets communicated.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Philosophy Tube has some good skits, which might be thanks to Olly having straight up acting training but just as much has to do with his relatively low key presentation, doing a simple format very well instead of trying something more ornate and risking falling flat.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Shaun's skits are the best imo

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Contrapoints' skits are some of the best in the business and I defy whomever it was that said they weren't. RLM's skits are...... okay, I guess, but I do find myself just skipping past the first five minutes of Half in The Bag because they only really work for me when they do witty asides rather than a whole sketch.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Skits can be a way of conveying a point.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Max Wilco posted:

Skits can be a way of conveying a point.

You got that right, Daddy. :wink:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

khwarezm posted:

It's weird the way the Killzone series came and went without leaving much of a mark, I remember when that was meant to be the Playstation's answer to Halo.

Though I guess the Resistance series was also meant to be the Playstation's answer to Halo and they vanished into the ether too.

Ah Resistance, it had some local buzz because the neighbouring town was the second level of the first game. Untill we started playing it and realised it was nothing like the town.

Its UK geography was the poorest I've seen since Robin Hood Prince of Thieves too.

The second game was a complete confused mess of ideas but also really bad at hiding its videogame seams.

I remember the PSP game being pretty good though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Wasn't there a game with the conceit that your Standard FPS Gameplay was just a drugged up lie to make the reality of your atrocities more palatable? Haze, I think?

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Haze is a game with so many questionable decisions regarding its writing and gameplay mechanics, but is just competent enough that it makes for a really interesting experience. It clearly wants to be the Starship Troopers with its allegory of the Bush administration and the war on terror, but has no idea how to handle the overall tone and themes. The ending even pulls the trite, "Maybe both sides are kind of wrong."

Edit: It also has some pretty great dialogue. "I know your type, a pacifist between wars. You're like a vegetarian between meals, so when it comes to eating a steak you don't know what the gently caress to do."

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 3, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Bee posted:

Wasn't there a game with the conceit that your Standard FPS Gameplay was just a drugged up lie to make the reality of your atrocities more palatable? Haze, I think?

Yep that was Haze, another neat concept that didn't entirely pan out as well as it could've. You start off as juiced up super soldier for some company or government, you and your team of guys get these little automatic injections of I think it was 'nectar' or something along those lines from your fancy armor in combat, as you're progressing early on you get flashes of more violent outcomes than you're seeing from stuff like firefights which are very sanitized and clean while you're doped up, eventually something or other happens and you get broken off from the company to help the people resisting them, see what's actually happening and that sort of deal.

"In Haze, soldiers make use of 'Nectar'. Mantel uses this drug to control the minds of its soldiers. When administered, Nectar can control what a soldier sees, among other things, similar to the effects of a hallucinogenic drug. Nectar drowns out images of death and destruction (for instance, bodies will vanish). Nectar also reduces recoil, and allows the player to zoom in further while scoped. Nectar also enhances the soldiers' fighting capabilities, allowing them to run faster and jump higher, as well as receiving a boost in reaction time. An overdose of Nectar is dangerous, with loss of reality and death being possible side effects. A Mantel soldier experiencing an overdose is shown by a change in their armor, changing in color from yellow to red.

Rebel soldiers may go into a "Play Dead" state, allowing them to recuperate and disappear from the Mantel soldiers' sight, since they can't see dead people while on Nectar. In addition, they exploit Mantel's dependence on Nectar by attacking the Nectar injector, extracting Nectar to use on projectiles from dead Mantel troopers, and using the injector to create Nectar grenades. These Nectar-enhanced weapons will cause a Mantel trooper to overdose on Nectar, as will attacking the Nectar injector."

Nectar.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 3, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
New from Shaun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v78x0X4O7sM

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Noah's Farcry video is really really excellent if you have close to 3 hours to kill.

In retrospect, I guess it's obvious that Farcry 5 would chicken out from actually having you kill Republican militia, but the half assed way they dance around the Trump issue is extremely watered down corporate mandate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
FC5 is a perfectly fine open world game that does have fun stuff. It's really a shame they hosed up with having easily the worst story of any FC game and their half assed 'we're gonna dance around current events without doing anything meaningful' solution because that did rightly sour people on what coulda been a fun experience.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwgEyjxcfoY

Here's a link to Noah's Far Cry video.

edit: lol, I can't believe Far Cry 3 was supposed to be satire.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 3, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

rudecyrus posted:

edit: lol, I can't believe Far Cry 3 was supposed to be satire.

Do you mean that in the sense it was too obscured or just that it's really inept?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 3, 2018

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

khwarezm posted:

Do you mean that in the sense it was too obscured or just that really inept?

If it was supposed to be satire, none of that came across in the narrative or the mechanics. My thoughts are the latter.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought FC5’s soundtrack, particularly the original cult songs were amazing and basically that is enough to make it the best FC game for me. But I was never a huge fan of far cry outside of maybe 2 anyway.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

rudecyrus posted:

If it was supposed to be satire, none of that came across in the narrative or the mechanics. My thoughts are the latter.

I think it does come across, but fails in many of the ways that Noah describes. The whole adventure in the islands is particularly built to be an extension of the kind of extreme sports orientated vacation that people like the main character indulge but with everything becoming increasingly unhinged and off the rails as the protagonist indulges in ever greater heights of violent, masculine domination. The game makes it clear that the player character (and by extension you, the actual player) is getting more and more wound up in an extremely unhealthy journey of catharsis and self gratification and suggests as much by likening Brody's journey with that of Alice in Wonderland, drawing very, very strong parallels with Brody and Vaas and having Brody take a more and more hostile position towards the friends he's ostensibly saving.

There's a bit near the start of the game where you rescue one of your friends (your girlfriend I think actually) from a pirate stronghold and it's when the game makes it clear that Brody is starting to find the entire ordeal extremely enjoyable, laughing as he kills people and finding thrills in escaping an exploding building by the skin of your teeth, but all the while you have your girlfriend who you just saved reacting like an actual normal person (re: with terror) and she calls out Brody on treating the entire situation as a source of personal enjoyment. Later when you talk to her Brody says that he's loving the entire situation that she just wants to escape from since, as he puts it, he's 'winning', which really drove home to me that the game was very much aware of what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'll be honest, it's been years since I played Far Cry 3 and I've forgotten most of the story.