Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Try using an emulsifier like mustard powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The "2 minute" part referrs literally to how long it takes including measuring out your ingredients and what not, it takes like 10 second with the blender.

Also, Fo3, make sure there's an acid like lemon juice or something since you're not using vinegar. No acid, no emulsion.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Croatoan posted:

It doesn't need to be a perfect fit or even all that close. I've used a tumbler before and it worked fine. So did my pyrex measuring cup.
If you're making a small batch (like one yolk's worth) a delitainer works fine too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Try using an emulsifier like mustard powder.

Exactly.

I make most of my emulsified stuff in a bullet blender. Perfect for like a cup of salad dressing or mayo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mayo/aioli is legit weird and confusing. I've had days where I've done the failproof ratio I've done a million times just immediately break and just be a gross oilslick I can't figure out. no judgement on anyone who has problems with it

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The only way I've been able to make mayo is by hand. I've tried the "foolproof" immersion blender way a few times and it's never worked for me for some reason. Whisk and bowl though? Never a problem.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do immersion blender mayo all the time. I use:

1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp lemon juice
some minced garlic
dab (maybe half teaspoon?) dijon mustard
add oil to 1 cup mark

Put stick to the bottom and turn on. I leave it at the bottom until it has stopped pulling oil down on its own and then slightly tilt it as needed. Season with salt/white pepper/dash of paprika if you're fancy.

edit: If it's too thin once its all emulsified, add more oil because science is crazy y'all

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 2, 2018

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

The mayo stick-blender thing supposes a very specific geometry of blending vessel and if you don't have it, you're shooting blind. I've made it work in straight-walled vessels but it took some doing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It requires a vessel that just barely fits; usually the container it came with

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

am I taking crazy pills that a wide mouth mason jar is hard to source?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
^ yes. I think it's the only type walmart stocks. :downs:

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The only way I've been able to make mayo is by hand. I've tried the "foolproof" immersion blender way a few times and it's never worked for me for some reason. Whisk and bowl though? Never a problem.

Same.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 3, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh I guess I should finish that thought with I've never had mayo fail in one.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Croatoan posted:

Also, Fo3, make sure there's an acid like lemon juice or something since you're not using vinegar. No acid, no emulsion.
It will be sickly yellow and not hold together very well, but your mayo is emulsified before you add the lemon.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm not talking about mayo, toum is just garlic, salt with a bit of lemon juice - the lemon juice only added after some(1/2 or more?) oil has already been added. It's like an aioli but no mustard and way more garlic.
I've never found a recipe that has any mustard in it (yeah I use that for mayo though), I think the point was garlic does the emuslifying rather than mustard? But I might try a tiny bit of mustard powder if it doesn't work in future.
If you think aioli is sometimes tricky this is even harder because I can do mayo and aioli, but with toum I give up on the 3rd try every time.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 3, 2018

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Steve Yun posted:

It requires a vessel that just barely fits; usually the container it came with

I somehow promptly lost mine the very week I got my immersion blender. No idea how.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Mustard doesn't belong in mayonnaise and only barely belongs in aioli

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s good emulsion insurance

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
In my experience, the biggest factor in the success or failure of stick-blender emulsions is holding the gently caress still when you first start blending. Keep the blender firmly on the bottom of the container, and do not move or lift or stir or in any way faff about until the emulsion has properly started, and then VERY slowly move to incorporate more oil. If you let things get mixed before the emulsion starts to form, it's just not going to come together easily.

The container just needs to be something you can stick the blender in. I actually use some empty marshmallow fluff jars that the previous tenant of my apartment left behind. They are not a close fit at all, but it still works.

A dab of mustard does help a bit. It's basically already an emulsion, so it's like jumpstarting the process.

In the case of toum, you could probably cheat by adding a little bit of aquafaba with the garlic.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So my mother in law likes her steaks blue. That's gross. Then again I prefer rare but blue just isn't cooked. She's hosed up and gross, right? Reaffirm my worldview tia.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Croatoan posted:

So my mother in law likes her steaks blue. That's gross. Then again I prefer rare but blue just isn't cooked. She's hosed up and gross, right? Reaffirm my worldview tia.

for a non fatty cut I like blue

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Croatoan posted:

No steakshaming, except if it's more well done than you prefer

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I love blue steaks.

But I also like raw beef and onions and stuff like that.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I love blue steaks.

But I also like raw beef and onions and stuff like that.

Beef tartare in a classic preparation (none of this hard-boiled egg, avocado poo poo in it) is one of the best foods ever.

Agreed that non-fatty cuts blue is great. Fatty cuts need to be cooked until fat renders, and that's enough.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Huh. I love steak tartare but I think of blue steak as gross. I don't make sense. poo poo my worldview is falling apart!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That seems way better than your MIL wanting nice steaks well done.

I don't prefer blue, but I'd rather a steak come out blue than medium.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chemmy posted:

That seems way better than your MIL wanting nice steaks well done.

I don't prefer blue, but I'd rather a steak come out blue than medium.

Yeah, because you can always send it back for more cooking, but you can’t uncook overdone!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nah, I'd just eat it blue. Medium or worse is inedible.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Croatoan posted:

Huh. I love steak tartare but I think of blue steak as gross. I don't make sense. poo poo my worldview is falling apart!

I like steak tartare and laab and nam tok, but I’m not just gonna chow down on a big ol’ slab of raw beef either. If you’re gonna pretend to cook it at least commit to it (a little).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Blue steaks are good if they're good steaks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've eaten a blue steak if it's not a sinewy cut. I'd rather have it blasted with just enough heat to give it a crust. The biggest failing of blue is not the rawness, it's the lack of malliard.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If blue's done right, that's what you get. My favorite steak ever is a ~1" thick piece of sirloin, thrown directly onto hardwood charcoal coals for 30s a side. Great sear, still cold in the center.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
blueish rare steaks are 100% the way to go with like tenderloin.

fatty stuff like ribeye or sirloin should probably be ordered 'rare' and you just hope they are competent enough to cook it as far as it needs to go. truly blue/rare ribeye is just gross as poo poo. but you don't wanna risk ordering a ribeye medium, and having it come out greyed through.

I usually just explain all this if someone asks me for detail about my order. like say "I usually like my steaks pretty rare, but whatever the chef recommends is how I'll take it." it seems to work out almost every time. more or less if you ask a competent relatively passionate cook to make a steak "correctly", they won't give you poo poo / will appreciate you for it. and if they do gently caress it up you can always raise hell.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 5, 2018

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

blueish rare steaks are 100% the way to go with like tenderloin.

fatty stuff like ribeye or sirloin should probably be ordered 'rare' and you just hope they are competent enough to cook it as far as it needs to go. truly blue/rare ribeye is just gross as poo poo. but you don't wanna risk ordering a ribeye medium, and having it come out greyed through.

I usually just explain all this if someone asks me for detail about my order. like say "I usually like my steaks pretty rare, but whatever the chef recommends is how I'll take it." it seems to work out almost every time. more or less if you ask a competent relatively passionate cook to make a steak "correctly", they won't give you poo poo / will appreciate you for it. and if they do gently caress it up you can always raise hell.

I often ask what they recommend when ordering meat and go with that. Luckily it’s usually medium rare, which I prefer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I go rare as possible with any cut from the rib, loin, sirloin, and tenderloin. Basically, everything that does not benefit from a marinade. If it's a marinade cut, I find a firm, good medium benefits the steak most. You get a nice char on the outside, and the connective tissue has time to cook a bit. Pink center.

If it's a stewing cut, pot roast. Yuuuuum.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

therattle posted:

I often ask what they recommend when ordering meat and go with that. Luckily it’s usually medium rare, which I prefer.

Yeah, I always order mid-rare when eating out unless it's a high-end steak place because usually they can't gently caress it up too badly.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Croatoan posted:

Corat just be happy you don’t have nightmare in laws like nosmo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ahem, there is only one appropriate standard for the doneness of steak.

(they actually changed the guidelines not too long ago, but I don't speak the lingo well enough to know if y'all bluebloods find them more tolerable. Thoughts?)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'll take my ribeye closer to medium so that I can eat that huge hunk of fat under the cap too. Med-rare tends to leave it too chewy and tough.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

51.5C for a strip, 52.5C for a ribeye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Why is it you can straight up boil stew beef for ten hours and it still comes out pinkish on the inside