Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Acacia REI posted:

Glenn's dumpster fakeout happened in the 3rd episode of season 6 and I always thought it would have been so much better if that had been his official death.

I'm sad af to lose the character, but I'm really happy with the way the did it.

T-Dog (RIP) and Lori had that double-death in episode 3 all the way back in S3. That began the trend of ‘I am a side character but will suddenly start talking about myself or doing something important... oh dear’

But don’t be sad. Now we can have the spin-off of the spin-off... Nick and Troy: GHOST BROS.

But seriously, Fear handles all(most) all the deaths better, and don’t make them hinge on huge ‘dramatic’ moments.

Tyreese gets bitten, he hallucinates for 45 minutes. Carl gets bitten, he spends all episode sweatily monologuing to his equally sweaty father.

Ofelia gets bitten, she quietly expires before she can reunite with her father. Travis gets shot, he dumps himself out of a loving helicopter so he won’t turn and be a danger.

If Travis were in the main show, he’d hang on long enough to say his goodbyes to Madison and deliriously refer to Nick as ‘Chris’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
e:holy poo poo nm

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I do really hope the end of the season only leaves Al, Morgan, cowboy man, and strand

Daniel if he comes back can hang too

Spellman
May 31, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Carl gets bitten, he spends all episode sweatily monologuing to his equally sweaty father.

They could've just cut that episode out entirely and skipped right to burying him. The whole dramatic lead-up to him dying was impactful enough. We already knew Rick would accept Siddiq into the group since the start of the season. Carl was dying for two straight episodes

Fear just doesn't waste your time. I said it in the other thread, but this show doesn't answer to the dramatic moments of a comicbook, and it shows

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tortuga posted:

Heck, there was even a car crash that happened for a believable reason which I haven't seen for a long time.

I noticed that as well. It's nice to get a scene involving vehicles that isn't a complete abomination.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
A drat shame to lose Nick. But I had a feeling we'd be losing an OG main character. The show had been hyping up its new characters for a while.

Interesting that Nick and Morgan stopped by that drug store with the RX Pharmacy sign. I was surprised to see Nick not checking out the labels of prescription pill bottles. In retrospect, it could be a comment on how drugs almost cost Nick his life, and even though he quit, addiction is a shadow that follows one eternally.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Madison is for sure dead. I'm pretty sure Alicia is gonna be able to put two and two together if Morgan explains who Nick killed before he died.

I do enjoy the dialogue of FTWD much more than the drivel being spilt by TWD and the seeming lack of plot armor is nice. It's what made Game Of Thrones great in the first few seasons.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't think Madison is dead, she probably just turned evil again which is what upset Nick. Wouldn't be surprised to Madison and the psycho little girl turning up in the main series next season as the dreaded antagonists from the next arc of the comics.

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
I gave up on this show after season 2, but, man, these last 2 episodes have been really great. Even allowing for Morgan's miraculous run from Atlanta to Texas, this is so much better than TWD, I need to go back and watch at least the last 3-4 episodes of Season 3 to really get up to speed.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I agree that what sets this apart from TWD is believable dialogue and no drawn out monologues

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Acacia REI posted:

Madison is going to set someone on fire for this.

YES. I hate how they kill main characters off in TWD proper - so much drawn out exposition leading up to their death that it loses its impact. Even Glenn's sudden and violent death didn't phase me that much because of how needlessly drawn out Negan's introduction was (not to mention the character hadn't been interesting in like 3 seasons). Nick's death felt like an unexpected punch in the chest.

After more reflection, I'll unpack a bit more. It felt like, after you see Nick go ballistic upon seeing the El Camino, that they were dropping hints(especially with the brighter, less gloomy shot flashbacks of Madison and Nick)that Madison had died so Nick was just heading towards keeping the cycle of violence going. Just when there's a hint of Nick breaking the cycle with Morgan and the little namaste book, the cycle continues and claims him

The flashback shot of Nick laying in the blue bonnets after he dies is a great coda for the character

Tortuga posted:

Heck, there was even a car crash that happened for a believable reason which I haven't seen for a long time.

Holy poo poo this made me laugh

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
https://i.imgur.com/z20zZ3r.mp4

I am seriously going to miss Nick running toward/away from things...

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
https://i.imgur.com/cY3qr7L.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/haMvFU1.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Vcs59RW.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/tKaDNLZ.mp4

A few more.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

he died as he lived, with a gaping hole in his chest that all the drugs in the world couldn't fill.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/ognWMay.gifv

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

jfood posted:

he died as he lived, with a gaping hole in his chest that all the drugs in the world couldn't fill.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Nick went to the big trap-house in the sky; his antics will be dearly missed.

I was really looking forward to seeing Nick and Morgan team up, like some hosed up Karate Kid reenactment. Morgan needed an apprentice with plot armor and Nick needed a role model that wasn't Madison.

LadyPictureShow posted:

But don’t be sad. Now we can have the spin-off of the spin-off... Nick and Troy: GHOST BROS.
I would watch that poo poo live with commercials and everything

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

https://i.imgur.com/z20zZ3r.mp4

I am seriously going to miss Nick running toward/away from things...

moist turtleneck, you need to do one of this where he's running from Gimple, cause that sounds pretty much why he left...

http://ew.com/tv/2018/04/30/fear-the-walking-dead-frank-dillane-nick-good-out-here/

quote:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So, the new showrunners Ian and Andrew mentioned this all came about because you asked to leave the show. What was it that led to that decision on your part?

FRANK DILLANE: I had been doing it for three or four years, the show has undergone many changes in terms of different people in charge, all of this stuff, and I just felt like the beginning of this season kind of felt like the end of an era with this show. And television is hard work, and you have to shoot a lot. I also missed Europe very much. I’m not American, so after a while I get quite homesick and all of those things. I also felt like we had achieved what needed to be achieved in the first few seasons, so I thought it was time to keep moving.

Also I hope Mad Madison isn't dead, because right now Morgan is probably seeing these rear end in a top hat Vultures and thinking "drat, these guys are dicks, just like Negan and the Saviors." And if Madison is alive, and he teams up with her, he's gonna really have some second thoughts when she takes off her gloves and he realizes he's teamed up with an even bigger Negan than the Vultures... :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I lo e this show, but if Elfman hasn't got a knife in the head by seasons end. It might be a deal breaker.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Guys Nick died in the dam explosion, that was a synth last night.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Spellman posted:

Fear just doesn't waste your time. I said it in the other thread, but this show doesn't answer to the dramatic moments of a comicbook, and it shows

That’s what I love about it. WD agonizingly draws out ‘this happened in the comics, so we’ll make it happen in the show... eventually. But we’ll make you eat poo poo and thank us for it.’

By S3, they were like ‘gently caress it, nothing’s hamstringing us; lets get real weird’

Acacia REI posted:

I would watch that poo poo live with commercials and everything

You and me both, babe.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
With the washed out colours, this scene with Morgan reminds me of Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Also I hope Mad Madison isn't dead,

Man I don't know what they'll do if they DID lose Madison right now.

I got to thinking the other day about her reformation / the civilization they had. We were all going "She's out there saving people and being selfless, that's not Madison."

Then I came to the realization that every warlord seems to think they've saving everyone when that goes off the rails.

This is loving hilarious.

Also a post back in the thread was right, this is the first time we've seen a car accident in TWD that's not hilariously stupid since like the TWD pilot.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just wanted to say that my boyfriend gave episode 3 a watch (he gave up on both shows a few seasons ago). I think he was mostly willing to check it out because he really liked Deadwood and Garrett Dillahunt. So I watched it again in case he had a million questions.

Even missing S3 and the first two episodes of the season, the story was pretty easy for him to get up to speed with, and I just had to fill him in on a few basics, like what Luciana meant when she mentioned leaving, the little girl being the mole for the Vultures, yes Morgan used to be on the other show...

I didn’t give any hint about Nick, and when he got shot, he freaked out ‘What the Hell isn’t he the main character?!’

Also, I liked the little callback with the peanut butter protein bar. Back in like, S5 when they were trying to divert the big horde, Morgan asked if Michonne stole his last peanut butter protein bar. I think a few seasons later she copped to stealing it.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also, I liked the little callback with the peanut butter protein bar. Back in like, S5 when they were trying to divert the big horde, Morgan asked if Michonne stole his last peanut butter protein bar. I think a few seasons later she copped to stealing it.

I forgot about that! FTWD writers know TWD better than it's own writers.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

JossiRossi posted:

I actually looked the scene up; it was S6 E1

Morgan: Michonne?
Michonne: Yeah?
Morgan: Back when you were in that place, where I lived, did you take one of my protein bars?
Michonne: No.
Morgan: See, I coulda sworn there was one more peanut butter left.
Michonne: That’s how it is, isn’t it? You always think there’s one more peanut butter left.

I’m not sure if it’s goonier that I remembered that part, or that I had a sensible chuckle when Nick said it was peanut butter.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

I actually looked the scene up; it was S6 E1

Morgan: Michonne?
Michonne: Yeah?
Morgan: Back when you were in that place, where I lived, did you take one of my protein bars?
Michonne: No.
Morgan: See, I coulda sworn there was one more peanut butter left.
Michonne: That’s how it is, isn’t it? You always think there’s one more peanut butter left.

I’m not sure if it’s goonier that I remembered that part, or that I had a sensible chuckle when Nick said it was peanut butter.

Not goony at all, I laughed and immediately rewound that bit. :golfclap:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

Man I don't know what they'll do if they DID lose Madison right now.

My prediction: we'll get an entire season of dual storylines with Strand, Alicia, Morgan etc in the present and the Stadium in the past. In the present, they'll be chasing after the Vultures, and it will be coy as to whether or not Madison is alive. In the flashbacks, Nick will still be alive so we'll still have a whole season of Frank Dillane (and Madison). We'll see them fight and be all dramatic towards the Vultures sitting outside.

In the last episode we'll find out Madison is dead. So we end up getting a whole season of her too, but that will leave it up in the air as to who will be the lead next season.

Which is kinda lame, because it's more TWD Kirkman/Nicotero/Gimple complicated fuckery for no reason other than to not tell a straightforward story.

I hope I'm wrong though, and they ditch the flashbacks/multiple timeframes in a few episodes.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

So after the last couple episodes I was thinking about Madison's trip/dream sequences in the s3 finale, and it seems like at least part of it's come true. Remember how she talked about how she thought she would settle down on the ranch and just live a peaceful life with her family and the other residents? Then in the dream they had the Christmas dinner and show'd everyone together and happy (until things went to poo poo and they weren't lmao). Then in the next dream one of her kids was dead.

She found her family after the flood and went on to establish the stadium settlement, where they lived for a whole year in peace with a few dozen other residents. Then things went to poo poo, and now one of her kids is dead (they just switched which one it was). I kind of hope we got more references to those scenes in the next few episodes, since the old showrunner said that was a vague representation of how the rest of the series would have gone. It would be a cool nod to the finale as well as Erikson's vision, since Nick's actor quitting the show left them with little choice but to close most of the old narrative off and start a new one anyway. It would also explain why they didn't just kill him off at the dam, since he did ask to leave before S3 was done filming.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just wanted to say that my boyfriend gave episode 3 a watch (he gave up on both shows a few seasons ago). I think he was mostly willing to check it out because he really liked Deadwood and Garrett Dillahunt. So I watched it again in case he had a million questions.

If he likes Dillahunt make him watch Sarah Connor Chronicles too. That's the first place I saw him and he won me over as a fan.

ED: Speaking of actors, what ever happened to the dude that played Topher on Dollhouse / the stoner in Cabin in the Woods and Viktor from Dollhouse? He was entertaining but seems to have disappeared after that. That show was a total loving mess (that had precisely one great idea) but it had actors way, way better than it deserved. Well actually all of them were great except the lead, who is the worst actress ever.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Astroman posted:

My prediction: we'll get an entire season of dual storylines with Strand, Alicia, Morgan etc in the present and the Stadium in the past. In the present, they'll be chasing after the Vultures, and it will be coy as to whether or not Madison is alive. In the flashbacks, Nick will still be alive so we'll still have a whole season of Frank Dillane (and Madison). We'll see them fight and be all dramatic towards the Vultures sitting outside.

In the last episode we'll find out Madison is dead. So we end up getting a whole season of her too, but that will leave it up in the air as to who will be the lead next season.

Which is kinda lame, because it's more TWD Kirkman/Nicotero/Gimple complicated fuckery for no reason other than to not tell a straightforward story.

I hope I'm wrong though, and they ditch the flashbacks/multiple timeframes in a few episodes.

I know right? That's the main concerning thing to me, the wonky cut up story. I mean they're doing a better job than TWD does of it but still...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

JossiRossi posted:

Madison: "When young, I killed my own father"

Madison: (destroys functioning settlements; is instrumental in many deaths and ruined lives)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbDWBBaGjPQ

also Madison: "I always look for something good."

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

Madison: (destroys functioning settlements; is instrumental in many deaths and ruined lives)

Yeah, I thought those flashbacks of Madison were incredibly myopic and :allears: considering all the poo poo we've seen of her. Was that supposed to be Nick's rose-colored glasses idealization of her before he dies? Because isn't Madison mostly responsible for him being an addict in the first place?

We've watched Seasons 1-3, we already know that Madison's response to life giving you lemons is to burn down the lemon tree orchard and salt the earth afterward while your kids stand there mouthing 'wtf mom'.

Edit: My wife mentioned that this was Nick's "look at the flowers" episode, in a way I guess Madison killed him in the end too.

Satchel and Trunk fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 3, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

Tell me you couldn't see Madison, having laid waste to another colony, screaming "I was saving people! I am saving people!" just like Negan and every other warlord, except not lovely

She better be out there alive. Maybe Nick's death will finally send her off the deep end.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

She better be out there alive. Maybe Nick's death will finally send her off the deep end.
That's what I'm hoping for so bad. She's gonna gently caress around and invent Wildfire when she finds out.

Part of me kind of hopes that what a few people have theorized about her possibly joining the Vultures is true. She joined and it drove a wedge between her and the rest of the group, and that's why they're separated in the Now timeline. When she finds out that it pretty much directly lead to her son's death, do you think she's gonna realize the consequences of her decision, calmly self reflect, and focus on what's best for the only kid she has left

or

Satchel and Trunk posted:

Madison's response to life giving you lemons is to burn down the lemon tree orchard and salt the earth afterward while your kids stand there mouthing 'wtf mom'.
:allears:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm glad troy's dead

he was a hosed up nazi moron, same as his daddy

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved his dad's actor though

He's always so tired, so done

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

There's really only two logical conclusions about Madison: She's dead or she joined the Vultures/some other more evil group

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

moist turtleneck posted:

I loved his dad's actor though

He's always so tired, so done

oh all the Ottos gave great performances absolutely, though the good-ish brother was the weakest of the three by far

troy was a fascinating character, i'm just glad he died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Kinda cool how they did the fakeout with Nick where s2 and s3 seemed like he would just walk amongst the zombies

• Locked thread