Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Araenna posted:

I wonder sometimes how many (especially syndicated) shows ended up doing poorly because so many people stream, and the idea of watching something you don't really like to kill time before watching what you do want is becoming less and less of a thing.

That only applies to Neilson families, and well they're idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to love Aaron Sorkin after watching A Few Good Men, Sports Night, and West Wing. As soon as I saw the first episode of The Newsroom I knew he ran out of ideas. gently caress that guy.

What was he supposed to do, not agree to write new shows the studios were begging him for? He needed coke money.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I think at least some cable services are starting to be able to track what's being watched and when through cable boxes. My fiance works in marketing, and I'm pretty sure at least Spectrum is doing that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Araenna posted:

I think at least some cable services are starting to be able to track what's being watched and when through cable boxes. My fiance works in marketing, and I'm pretty sure at least Spectrum is doing that.

Time Warner was so hated that they had to change their name to Spectrum, HTH

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Araenna posted:

I wonder sometimes how many (especially syndicated) shows ended up doing poorly because so many people stream, and the idea of watching something you don't really like to kill time before watching what you do want is becoming less and less of a thing.

That definitely matters. There were series that existed solely because they were sandwiched by better more popular shows, like Simon & Simon.

Simon & Simon was almost canceled in 1982 due to low ratings. However, at DeGuere and Shayne's request, CBS decided to give the series another chance by moving it to Thursday nights at 9 p.m., following Magnum, P.I. The new season began with a two-hour cross-over episode with a story that began on the already popular Magnum and continued on (the mostly unknown) Simon & Simon, in an attempt to carry Magnum's audience over to Simon & Simon. (see below) The effort worked, and the show's ratings quickly rose; it became a hit in that slot and continued to draw ratings for the next several seasons.

Simon & Simon moved to Saturday nights late in its run, and the ratings dropped considerably. CBS only committed to a 13-episode season for the fall of 1988 but cancelled the series with two episodes left unaired, including the series finale.

Iron Crowned posted:

I was a Neilson family for one whole week and even with all that power I couldn't save Freaks & Geeks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was a Neilson family for one whole week and even with all that power I couldn't save Freaks & Geeks.

Same but Jericho

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

Time Warner was so hated that they had to change their name to Spectrum, HTH

I'm aware. We only had Time-Warner around here for a really long time. Like, until I moved to California for a few years in the early 00s, I couldn't name another cable company if my life depended on it. Now we have Spectrum and nothing else. Like, is anything else still around? Comcast exists right?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

They call themselves Xfinity because they too were a company whose name became synonymous with garbage

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to love Aaron Sorkin after watching A Few Good Men, Sports Night, and West Wing. As soon as I saw the first episode of The Newsroom I knew he ran out of ideas. gently caress that guy.

e: Studio 60 was also terrible. He crafted a whole show around bitching about his ex-girlfriend.

Buddy, the West Wing is also terrible

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Krispy Wafer posted:

That definitely matters. There were series that existed solely because they were sandwiched by better more popular shows, like Simon & Simon.
[i]
Simon & Simon was almost canceled in 1982 due to low ratings...
A friend once explained to me that Simon & Simon is what you would watch if you wanted to watch Magnum but it wasn't on. A cheap knockoff of a popular show after the popular show seems like a great idea in general, even now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing about the 70s and 80s that's aged poorly is when purely episodic programmes just stop rather than end, even when they're very good. Two of the most recent series I binged were Miami Vice and The Equalizer.

They're both very good shows, but one of the things that sets Miami Vice apart is how its last season had this loose thematic arc (Crockett and Tubbs becoming disillusioned with the corruption in the system) which it followed to a logical conclusion (quitting the police department in the last episode).

Conversely, The Equalizer just finished with a case-of-the-week episode instead of something that seemed a little bit special (along the lines of the various two-part stories throughout the series in which McCall gets pulled back in to helping the Company deal with a spy conspiracy or some enemy from his past coming back to pursue him).

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But we're making this show for syndication, people won't understand if there's a finale one week and it just suddenly resumes like normal next week!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The most insane reality show was To Catch a Predator and I still can't believe it was real.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Incredible Hulk has aged remarkably well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a bunch of older detective shows from the 70s and 80s I'd like to watch - Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Hart To Hart - but I feel like they're probably not worth it because I think a lot of those Quinn Martin shows were supposed to be very cheap-looking, so they probably won't have aged well on that front.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

But we're making this show for syndication, people won't understand if there's a finale one week and it just suddenly resumes like normal next week!

You start to look forward to the endings and beginnings like a syndication circle of life.

Did Pa just blow up the town? Well hot drat tomorrow it’s the Ingalls origin story. Or when Rosanne mercifully ends you know it’s about to get funny again.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

EmmyOk posted:

The most insane reality show was To Catch a Predator and I still can't believe it was real.

The weirdest thing I remember about that show is how it inspired people to set up fake profiles online to lure pedophiles and...then nothing because they had no idea what came next.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Samuringa posted:

The weirdest thing I remember about that show is how it inspired people to set up fake profiles online to lure pedophiles and...then nothing because they had no idea what came next.

Yeah for the first two I think the guys just left after, I suppose publically shamed on TV. The lies were incredibly sometimes, one time this lad told an insanely long and convoluted story with three fictional people in it all of whom were called "uhhh Michael". All separate michaels.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

That 10 year period from 2000 to 2010 was bananas for reality shows.

I think lawsuits have done some good to rein in most of that. Now it's just little people and housewives bitching at each other via speakerphone.

Something that has aged well on this subject is the Mission Hill episode about it from like 1999 I think

Christ this phone is bad, just look up Mission Hill Andy Vs the Real World somehow because I can’t link the video

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 02:14 on May 3, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah for the first two I think the guys just left after, I suppose publically shamed on TV. The lies were incredibly sometimes, one time this lad told an insanely long and convoluted story with three fictional people in it all of whom were called "uhhh Michael". All separate michaels.

It's completely unrelated but I read this and immediately remembered that Kid Nation was also airing at the time and it was absolutely insane

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Something that has aged well on this subject is the Mission Hill episode about it from like 1999 I think

Christ this phone is bad, just look up Mission Hill Andy Vs the Real World somehow because I can’t link the video

The only thing about the Youtube upload is it's from the DVD release where they cut out the licensed music, so the bit at the end when they all sing Everybody Hurts doesn't make any sense :v:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

The only thing about the Youtube upload is it's from the DVD release where they cut out the licensed music, so the bit at the end when they all sing Everybody Hurts doesn't make any sense :v:

Whaaaaat that ruins the entire thing, I’m almost certain it’s in the DVD’s I own

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have no idea what this was specifically but there was like an mtv show in the mid-late 90s and they paraded a bunch of women out for a frost tipped random idiot to choose who he wanted to date and one girl who was obviously physically impaired came out and he looked at her the whole time she went in front of him like he was enraged she would even dare to show herself around him and it was so gross that I can’t forget about it to this day and I still want to travel back in time and beat the poo poo out of that dude

???

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My folks got a DVD set of the show Wise Guy, an 80s (70s?) cop-and-gangster series that has aged remarkably well. But the licensing got screwed up somehow and an entire story arc about corruption in the music industry, which they'd been looking forward to watching again, was missing. The original run supposedly had some really good famous music in it, but it was too hard to get around so they just dropped a dozen episodes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it would have to be Singled Out.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Samuringa posted:

This reminded me of what may have been one of the last To Catch a Predator episodes: a special on how email scams work that brought them all the way to the UK to meet with a guy who maybe was higher up the chain on sending these things out. This was the early 00s and they interviewed people who had lost thousands to online dating scams and a woman who had a huge closet full of packages with electronics bought using stolen credit cards (her house was being used as a drop off point, she was sick at home one day and figured it out and still had all this stuff because the feds apparently didn’t know what the gently caress to do). It’s been a long time since I watched that special, would be interesting to see if the advice given to protect yourself holds up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I always wondered how many convictions actually stick from To Catch a Predator, if any.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it would have to be Singled Out.

That was it. Probably one of the trashiest mtv shows

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
When Wiseguy first aired, they had to run long think-pieces in the TV section that explained to the frightened and confused audience what “story arcs” were.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I always wondered how many convictions actually stick from To Catch a Predator, if any.

MSNBC used to have an 'after party' TCAP show and the answer is not a lot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samuringa posted:

It's completely unrelated but I read this and immediately remembered that Kid Nation was also airing at the time and it was absolutely insane

I would absolutely watch more of this train wreck

I also really miss The Mole

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
All this talk of "worst reality show" reminded me about Black. White. which may have been discussed in this thread. It was a show where a white family and a black family traded races by having makeup put on to appear to be the other race.

While I was looking for a place to watch a few to remind myself of how weird it was I saw on their IMDB page that they won a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Makeup for a Series (Non-Prosthetic).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

I would absolutely watch more of this train wreck

I also really miss The Mole

Season 1 of that show was hosted by a then fairly unknown Anderson Cooper and it was goddamn awesome.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

MSNBC used to have an 'after party' TCAP show and the answer is not a lot.

The fact that the police deputized the people associated with Xavier Von Erck was always disturbing to me because I used to post with that guy on another forum before he helped co-create TCAP and from the get-go all of us there were like "This obese self-absorbed moron should not be in charge of this type of thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjwtmw_sAk0

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

dudeness posted:

All this talk of "worst reality show" reminded me about Black. White. which may have been discussed in this thread. It was a show where a white family and a black family traded races by having makeup put on to appear to be the other race.

While I was looking for a place to watch a few to remind myself of how weird it was I saw on their IMDB page that they won a Primetime Emmy for Outstanding Makeup for a Series (Non-Prosthetic).

It makes sense if you think about it. If you want to pull off this horrible idea, you had better hire the best goddamn makeup artist in the biz.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 1 of that show was hosted by a then fairly unknown Anderson Cooper and it was goddamn awesome.

Yeah, a friend of a friend was on it. Cooper was great at it, too.

Hmm, I also was high school friends with someone who went on the biggest loser, and Richard Hatch lived up the street from me growing up... Post your Reality show connections itt

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was thinking about it on the way into work, but it's kind of weird that in the 80's-90's a popular sub-genre of sitcom revolved around a wacky family member. Like everyone is normal, except that they have a pet alien, the daughter is a robot, the mom died and got replaced by their aunt, and the step-dad is an army man.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Iron Crowned posted:

I was thinking about it on the way into work, but it's kind of weird that in the 80's-90's a popular sub-genre of sitcom revolved around a wacky family member. Like everyone is normal, except that they have a pet alien, the daughter is a robot, the mom died and got replaced by their aunt, and the step-dad is an army man.

Well, Seth MacFarlane certainly remembers that too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, Seth MacFarlane certainly remembers that too.

Animation usually gets a pass because that's been a staple of Hanna Barbera since the dawn of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Ariong posted:

It makes sense if you think about it. If you want to pull off this horrible idea, you had better hire the best goddamn makeup artist in the biz.

You'd think, wouldn't you?