Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chokes McGee posted:

The more I listen to seven’s audios, the more I’m convinced if I didn’t know who they were you could put him and Simms’ master in the same episode and I wouldn’t know who was who (:haw:) until the very end.

Unless you're, you know, listening to their voices?

I did have the idea the other day about a story with, say, the 5th Doctor trying to solve a mystery, with someone clearly working behind the scenes to stop him, and it turns out it's the 7th Doctor, working to solve the situation from an entirely different angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

I did have the idea the other day about a story with, say, the 5th Doctor trying to solve a mystery, with someone clearly working behind the scenes to stop him, and it turns out it's the 7th Doctor, working to solve the situation from an entirely different angle.

Cold Fusion is a bit like this, although it's more them working at cross purposes than oppositionally.

As I'm sure you already know!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

Cold Fusion is a bit like this, although it's more them working at cross purposes than oppositionally.

As I'm sure you already know!

I did not! I've never read or listened to it, although the moment I read your words, I remembered its existence. I should probably check it out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ERIC ROBERTS!?! :aaa:

The_Doctor posted:

There's a one-off companions only freebie called The Veiled Leopard which has the 5th Doctor and the 7th Doctor send their respective companions into a party with completely contradictory orders on what to do. I found it a tremendous amount of fun even if the Doctors themselves are only referenced in an "off-panel" scene.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You know, it'd be funny if they did a Multiple Doctors story and didn't have them immediately reveal it to eachother. I want Seventh Doctor to try dealing with his new companion, a weird guy in a leather jacket who thinks everything is fantastic

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember there was a comic in one of the early 90s annuals that had the 4th Doctor on a submarine, and the 3rd Doctor at a base somewhere communicating by radio, with 4 realising who 3 was, and together they solve a Sea Devil incursion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh wow, Eddie Robson is writing it too!

https://twitter.com/eddierobson/status/991962272342925312

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow, Eddie Robson is writing it too!

Well it's not like I wasn't going to get it anyway, but loving SOLD!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Well that's certainly an occasion worth drezzing for

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
But if it's an audio, how can he tell where all the lights are? :ohdear:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So does this mean BF can use 12th Doctor era stuff now? Or is Gomez's Master an edge case because that character exists in other eras?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

So does this mean BF can use 12th Doctor era stuff now? Or is Gomez's Master an edge case because that character exists in other eras?

It seems like they can use whatever is considered a past Doctor. With 13 now the current Doctor, 12's era would seem to be fair game. v:shobon:v

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

It seems like they can use whatever is considered a past Doctor. With 13 now the current Doctor, 12's era would seem to be fair game. v:shobon:v

Gotcha; I thought the license ran explicitly to the end of the 11th Doctor's run, but hey, I'm cool with this end result.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

Gotcha; I thought the license ran explicitly to the end of the 11th Doctor's run, but hey, I'm cool with this end result.

They had said that before, but I guess it's changed, since they already said they've asked Calpadi to join them. (He said he's taking time away from the role, however)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Can't believe they finally got Eric Roberts! Very cool. Will be good to see what BF does to his version of the character.

Also looking forward to the sequel box set with Alex Macqueen, John Simm, Gordon Tipple, and CGI Snake. :allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

Can't believe they finally got Eric Roberts! Very cool. Will be good to see what BF does to his version of the character.

Also looking forward to the sequel box set with Alex Macqueen, John Simm, Gordon Tipple, and CGI Snake. :allears:

I hear CGI Snake is a bit of a diva and hard to work with

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I hear CGI Snake has an amazing voice for radio, tho

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

How... would I know their voices if I didn’t already know them? :thunk:

I mean I kind of see what you’re saying, but you have to admit, Sly’s nasal delivery sounds awfully sinister sometimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

I hear CGI Snake is a bit of a diva and hard to work with

CGI Snake has worked since the accusations came out that he assaulted Peppa Pig.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ahahaha best loving news: Big Finish are doing a River Song set featuring the Master -- as played by Geoffrey Beevers, Michelle Gomez, Derek Jacobi and Eric Roberts. Beautiful.

Hahaha very funny, raising my hopes like that-WAIT IT'S loving TRUE! :aaaaa:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Today I learned Eric Robert is an Academy Awards nominee.

For Runaway Train, which in retrospect makes sense.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope they do a proper multi-Master story at some point, since I imagine this is gonna be a One Master Per Disc thing. I really want to hear all the others get annoyed with Eric Roberts's version.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope they do a proper multi-Master story at some point, since I imagine this is gonna be a One Master Per Disc thing. I really want to hear all the others get annoyed with Eric Roberts's version.

Yeah, that's the plan apparently. Each story spotlights a different Master -- Eddie Robson's gets Eric Roberts, Jonathan Morris is writing for Gomez, Scott Handcock is writing for Jacobi and Roy Gill is writing for the Beevers undead Master.

BF has done a multi-master story before -- it's pretty good actually, despite also having the kind of plot that screams fanwank clusterfuck -- with the Two Masters. But that was McQueen and Beevers, and not any of the sexy new Masters.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I feel kind of bad that MacQueen's missing out. His "Hello you" is the perfect counter to River's "Hello Sweetie."

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

poor Eric.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cruel Rose posted:

poor Eric.

It was looking for the snake, you see

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love this gif so much.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 5, 2018

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Gordon Tipple told them his schedule was free and he waited by the phone but he never heard back....

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm reasonably confident that Anthony Ainley faked his death and is hanging around in a cheesy, quite probably racist disguise as the Big Finish groundskeeper or something.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of, continued Fifth Doctor trip reports.

The second part of Black Orchid was not quite as stupidly fun as the first half, but the whole thing is still probably my favorite Five story so far.

And then Earthshock. I'll be honest, I've never really understood the sheer hatred Adric traditionally gets, though I certainly wouldn't rate either the character or Matthew Waterhouse (at least not 1980s Waterhouse, I'm curious to hear his Big Finish stories to see if he's better in them) all that highly. Still, this was (unsurprisingly) a fairly Adric-centric story and (surprisingly) the rather tense relationship between Adric and the Doctor ends up paying off pretty well.

I said before I thought that the sadistic and revenge-driven Cybermen here would work better as Daleks, and I stand by that. Still, if you, er, completely ignore what the Cybermen are supposed to be like, they're pretty effective villains.

Anyway, I like Earthshock probably more than it deserves.

And then I watched Time-Flight for the first time in twenty-odd years and...honestly, I have seen much, much worse Doctor Who stories. I have even seen much, much worse 5th Doctor stories. The Master's disguise as Kalid the dubiously Asian sorcerer is of course racist as gently caress, but I could just about accept it as the Master being racist as gently caress if, you know, every other non-Western character we've seen from this era of Doctor Who weren't similarly cringeworthy.

Anyway, good, if slightly crowded supporting cast, but the Master (once he's out of disguise) is easily the best thing here. The plot doesn't really hold up to much scrutiny, but if that were going to bother me, I'd have to stop watching Doctor Who entirely.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

docbeard posted:

I'm reasonably confident that Anthony Ainley faked his death and is hanging around in a cheesy, quite probably racist disguise as the Big Finish groundskeeper or something.
"That Tony the soundman's a very jolly fellow - always laughing all the time"

I've never had much of a problem with Adric - he tends to be an obnoxious know-it-all, socially maladjusted, and rountinely betrays the Doctor for flimsy reasons - but that's a general problem with the writing more than anything. And he's nowhere near given the episode focus that Star Trek gave to Wesley Crusher (a similar wunderkind) in some of their earlier episodes.

Big Finish does what it usually does with characters, and develops Adric a bit more, and smooths over some of the more rougher patches. They did have what I'd consider a massive mistep in one of their earlier stories though, The Boy That Time Forgot - in service of having a character who's "Adric, but with practically zero redeeming features".

In the post-Adric Fifth Doctor audios, they also focus on the fallout of his death more often, rather than Time-flight's shockingly abrupt - "well he's dead, time to move on" (that's not really a criticism - that's looking at it through the perspective of what a current day audience would expect to happen), and the pre-Earthshock audios with Waterhouse are pretty okay - Adric's not bad in those.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 5, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

I love this gif so much.

I disobeyed the Time Lords

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Adric's main problem is that the writers didn't really know what to do with him, especially early on when he was inserted into scripts after they were written, which meant that he joins the villains annoyingly often. His other problem is that some (looking at you, Terence Dudley) confuse "precocious genius" with "massive sexist".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Adric's main problem is that the writers didn't really know what to do with him, especially early on when he was inserted into scripts after they were written, which meant that he joins the villains annoyingly often. His other problem is that some (looking at you, Terence Dudley) confuse "precocious genius" with "massive sexist".

Yeah, his whole WOMEN ARE DUMB AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT bit in Four To Doomsday was pretty grating, though honestly I don't think any of the main cast were written especially well. (Shame because there's a lot about that one I like.)

And yeah, I think that was an issue with all three major companions that series, and Janet Fielding was really the only one capable of giving her character a bit more definition in spite of it. (Though it helped that Tegan was actually given poo poo to do more often than not, unlike 'whoops I slept through the whole episode' Nyssa).

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
My son is listening to “The Shepherd’s Boy” in his room right now and Jesus Christ I’m going to miss Murray Gold a whole lot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Five's TARDIS is also a bit more crowded than most, which means they have to find stuff for four people to do, which makes them fall back on some default standbys. Naive collaborator gets played way too often with Adric, but there's also the old kidnapped-through-ineptitude shtick.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Five's TARDIS is also a bit more crowded than most, which means they have to find stuff for four people to do,

Like next season!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The_Doctor posted:

Like next season!

Explain.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's gonna be three (?) companions to go with the 13th Doctor. One of whom is Bradley Walsh, which is something I both never expected AND somehow always wanted.

Edit: I'm pretty sure most of this has been openly discussed in this thread before, but just to be on the safe side I might as well throw on a spoiler tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Here is a link if you’re so inclined.

• Locked thread