Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Snooker is simple game. Men attempt to knock colourful balls into pockets by hitting another ball with a stick, and in the end Mark Selby always wins.

The best competition in sport starts tomorrow as the Jester from Leicester looks to make it three in a row. However he's had a subpar year (well by his standards, he only won the two biggest non-UK events), as the sport has been dominated by the fabled 'class of 92', in particular Ronnie O'Sullivan who has won five ranking titles including a record equalling sixth UK Championship.

There are some tasty ties is the first round. The two standout favourites have got pretty much the toughest qualifiers with the Jester playing the Gentleman, and Rocket v the Merlin. The Welsh Dragon Matt Stevens makes a welcome return the Crucible after a couple years absence against the Warrior. Dynamite Day v the Guillotine is really evenly matched too. Pint-sized Chinese prodigy Lyu Hoatian makes his debut and has a good chance of making a big impact, his first match is against Marco Fu who has barley played since having laser eye surgery, and might be technically blind if his Masters 'performance' is anything to go by.

If you live in a civilised country you can watch it on the BBC, or if you want to avoid Denis Taylor and Ken Doherty, British Eurosport. If you live in some where foreign, it's being streamed on the world snooker facebook. http://www.worldsnooker.com/world-snooker-championship-broadcast-facebook-live/

Also everyone is using some new super advanced chalk which is apparently amazing and eliminates kicks somehow. https://taomtips.com/?product=taom-snooker-chalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BliAPzEsao0 <- explains thread title.

Post about snooker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I want to get off Mr Selby's wild ride

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
BSEs official possible first round upset shouts:

Jamie Jones vs Shaun Murphy. Jones wrecked Liang Wenbo 10-0 in the qualifiers and Murphy is having back issues atm, got beaten 6-0 by Chris Wakelin out at the China Open last month.

Ricky Walden vs Luca Brecel. The Mescels from Brecels was brilliant in the first half of the season and thats why he's seeded, then his cue got broken and he's been utterly dreadful ever since.

Ryan Day vs Anthony McGill. Not sure this counts as an upset as they are quite evenly matched but Day is the unseeded player. Probably should have been seeded having won 3 tournements this season but buggered up the China open qualifier, he's lost 1 of his last 15 matches.

Lyu Haotian vs Marco Fu. Marco can't see.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

hmm, I may have jinxed the jester. He 4 - 0 down.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

I'd like Mark "J" Williams to do well but he's in a bit of a jam

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Anything Sleby can do Ronnie can do worse? He's playing like a proverbial numpty. Absolute shocker.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Selby losing early would have made sense before the China Open, he was playing that badly, but with that win in between it's a bit weird.

Perry beat Jimmy White in qualifying though so going on to win the whole thing is the least he can do to apologise.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

whatever dr steve peters said to ronnie last night seems to have worked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

HJB posted:

I'd like Mark "J" Williams to do well but he's in a bit of a jam

I wouldn't mind if he lost, as it sets up the possibility of a Robertson-Robertson match in round 2.

E: the look on Maguire's face at the end of frame 15 said "Thank God I went 4-0 up, at least the loss will look credible."

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 22, 2018

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Bingo on for a 147 here...

E - boo. He cocks it on a red with the rest.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 24, 2018

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79W_kHAPqhM

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Dennis "Naughty" Taylor commentating on Trump's game, there's a surprise. What is the sound of one hand commentating?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Trump played like dogshit last night. Could see him losing to Walden.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

its all kicking off in the o'sullivan carter match. the players bumped shoulders and ronnie called carter 'mr angry'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI3Fe02It8I&t=1449s

e - welp, clearly carter's plan to wind up ronnie worked. the rocket is out.
i guess ding junhui is the favourite now?

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 28, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

its all kicking off in the o'sullivan carter match. the players bumped shoulders and ronnie called carter 'mr angry'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI3Fe02It8I&t=1449s

e - welp, clearly carter's plan to wind up ronnie worked. the rocket is out.
i guess ding junhui is the favourite now?

Higgins is 8-0 up on Lisowski. Lisowski isn't exactly a favourite, but he's not terrible. Could be seeing the oldest world champion since Reardon in 1978 the way this is going.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Carter's a good old-fashioned bastard, he knows he has a herd of sympathy cows in his field and he's gonna milk them for all they're worth.

Tortured metaphors aside, if I was a betting man I'd lump on his next opponent after seeing that celebration.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Jedit posted:

Higgins is 8-0 up on Lisowski. Lisowski isn't exactly a favourite, but he's not terrible. Could be seeing the oldest world champion since Reardon in 1978 the way this is going.

Yeah, the Wizard has the better formthis year, and if it were all best of 19s i'd agree, but I do think the age thing counts against the likes him and Williams. Especially when you get to the marathon four session matches.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

Yeah, the Wizard has the better formthis year, and if it were all best of 19s i'd agree, but I do think the age thing counts against the likes him and Williams. Especially when you get to the marathon four session matches.

Higgins got to the final last year and only lost 18-15 to Selby at the peak of form, leading 6-2 after the first session. This year most of the top seeds are out, Judd Trump had a tiring first round, and the other QF in the top half is Mark Allen vs Kyren Wilson - both of whom got beaten convincingly by Higgins in 2017. I have to like Higgins to reach the final again, probably playing Ding.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Still only ever been one whitewash in Crucible history.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

HJB posted:

Still only ever been one whitewash in Crucible history.

Who/when was that?

Jedit posted:

Higgins got to the final last year and only lost 18-15 to Selby at the peak of form, leading 6-2 after the first session. This year most of the top seeds are out, Judd Trump had a tiring first round, and the other QF in the top half is Mark Allen vs Kyren Wilson - both of whom got beaten convincingly by Higgins in 2017. I have to like Higgins to reach the final again, probably playing Ding.

Just backed Higgins -1.5 against Trump at 11/10. Seems like a great price as Trump is playing like a toilet from what I've seen.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Mickolution posted:

Who/when was that?

John Parrott defeated the great Eddie Charlton in the first round in 92. It was his last match in a world championship.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Ding Junhui absolutely shat a brick yesterday :( I should really stop jinxing players like this.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Strange old mix in the semis. Well, mostly just old.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

HJB posted:

Strange old mix in the semis. Well, mostly just old.

True. Should be a good few days coming up. No out and out favourite. Like to see Wilson win it and kick on from there, but will be happy for whoever. Just hoping for some close matches.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We're either going to have a new name on the trophy or the oldest champion since Reardon in 1978. And here we are at the arse end of the 2010s and Wilson is the only player left who wasn't born in the 1970s.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Oh dear, Wilson looks nervous here.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

HappyCamperGL posted:

Oh dear, Wilson looks nervous here.

Haven't been able to see any of it today. Looks like he had a bit of a rally towards the end of the session?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Mickolution posted:

Haven't been able to see any of it today. Looks like he had a bit of a rally towards the end of the session?

He made a really good 140 in the seventh frame, but then gifted away the eight missing an absolute sitter of a red. Lucky for him Higgins was a bit tired, otherwise the tie would be over already.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Looks like Kyren Wilson retired out of the tournament and substituted in Bashar al-Assad. Ballsy move, but I'm not sure it will help.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Well he's starting to score heavily and actually punish John's mistakes now.

edit - though i really, really dislike Kyrenn's waistcoat.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 4, 2018

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I'm strapped in for the day, let's go.

E: I knew something was missing this year

https://twitter.com/Midgetgems26/status/990994280356499456

HJB fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 5, 2018

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Great steal by Willo to get to ten all. Feeling this one go the distance.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

That shot by Williams :pusheen:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

You could do a Shot of the Championship competition from Williams' shots alone. I love the mad old English-hating southpaw

(Also a Missed Black of the Championship)

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

HappyCamperGL posted:

That was bloody amazing!

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

Pity about the rest of the frame. This is looking to be 17-14 Hawkins now.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

can't believe hawkins tried that red along the rail. i know the pockets have been generous this fortnight but that was crazy.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HappyCamperGL posted:

can't believe hawkins tried that red along the rail. i know the pockets have been generous this fortnight but that was crazy.

Well, Williams returned the compliment by attempting that plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
This semi is giving me a semi

• Locked thread