Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ratbert90 posted:

Slackware 3.9 was my first distribution. It was pretty awesome. I was 15 at the time....

I'm old. :smith:

:hfive:

i don't remember the version but it was around 95 or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

does anyone still recommend this distro without irony? it's been a while since i've heard anyone mention it

4 years ago I interviewed with a company that was running Slackware on it's servers. I politely declined the offer.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

does anyone still recommend this distro without irony? it's been a while since i've heard anyone mention it

No

Slackware was my first Linux circa 1998, and it taught me how to Linux - but in tyool 2018 you should use a Linux that has a proper package management system (unless you want to janitor all of your own library dependencies)

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
use the Hannah Montana Linux instead

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ratbert90 posted:

Slackware 3.9 was my first distribution. It was pretty awesome. I was 15 at the time....

that sounds like me. i fondly look back on the days of breaking the dialup configuration on the family computer and being unable to use bitchx

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

how is the top list on the right column of distrowatch.com determined? i remember the site from ages ago and it's still operating apparently

out of the top 20 in that list i think I'd heard of 7? are any of these actually popular? lmao its got reactos in there

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

page views?

e ya https://distrowatch.com/dwres-mobile.php?resource=popularity

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

MCC Interim 1.0, kiddo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

> Current behavior of abort() is unacceptable: it terminates the process
> unconditionally. glibc users should be free to decide whether a call to
> abort() succeeds. It should be a user right, not a developer imposition.

The GNU system already gives users this control. For instance, you
can run the program under GDB and put a breakpoint on abort. That's
how I normally run Emacs, for instance.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gazpacho posted:

MCC Interim 1.0, kiddo

ubuntu 5.04

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cut my teeth on mandrake Linux 7

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus posted:

I recommend slackware op

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Btw: Fedora28 comes with kernel 4.16, which means if you have a vega card you get full 3D acceleration out of the box.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
same with macos 10.13.4 :eng101:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Btw: Fedora28 comes with kernel 4.16, which means if you have a vega card you get full 3D acceleration out of the box.

wow, linux is approaching the 21st century at a rapidly increasing rate

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pram posted:

same with macos 10.13.4 :eng101:

I have 2 vega cards, one for macos passthrough, can confirm.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a premier unix experience

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Poopernickel posted:

in tyool 2018 you should use a Linux that has a proper package management system

agreed, NixOS or Nothing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

For people who find Arch too boring

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

For people who find Arch too boring

Arch's boring because you never should install it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
arch and rh and (ugh) debian are all fine these days

i can see why that might be considered boring when there's no longer the thrill of having poo poo break constantly and having to wrestle the machine into submission

kids these days don't even know how to write an XF86Config!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

arch and rh and (ugh) debian are all fine these days

i can see why that might be considered boring when there's no longer the thrill of having poo poo break constantly and having to wrestle the machine into submission

kids these days don't even know how to write an XF86Config!

scroll, scroll, scroll...

Replace nv with nvidia

startx

ahhhhh, there we go.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

nginx is broke on f28 thanks to selinux

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

hifi posted:

Ok, I hate docker with a passion but who doesn't deploy nginx in a docker container these days.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ah, the rare reverse goon in a hole situation

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

4 years ago I interviewed with a company that was running Slackware on it's servers. I politely declined the offer.

good call

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hifi posted:

probably running restorecon would fix the issue.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i worked at an MSP many years ago and one of our clients had 30% ubuntu servers, 10% centos servers, and the rest were gentoo with hand-crafted kernels for 'performance'

and of course the admin who thought that was a brilliant idea had been gone a long time and portage was totally broken and it was all impossible to upgrade

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

probably running restorecon would fix the issue.

you need to change the logs' ownership to be root:nginx

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
would it be incredibly foolish to run the fedora dnf based system-upgrade process? and would it be even more foolish to go straight from 25 to 28 without passing through 26 and 27?

asking for a friend

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

BobHoward posted:

would it be incredibly foolish to run the fedora dnf based system-upgrade process? and would it be even more foolish to go straight from 25 to 28 without passing through 26 and 27?

asking for a friend

backup your poo poo and do a fresh install. you will most probably need to anyways if you try to jump 25-28. there’s enough prayer in single version upgrades as it is, tho fedora has been p good about not hosing my system when I was stuck using desktop Linux

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 4, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

buy a Mac

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You have to upgrade through every intermediary version and each upgrade takes at least 30 min. If you don't have any configuration you want to keep just reinstall.

Otherwise f28 does not differ from f24 in any particularly meaningful way so it should be safe. The days of massive system churn are pretty far behind at this point, at least until gnome cadt flares up again and they rewrite the entire de from scratch yet again

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

asking for a friend

i would just save off the home directory and reinstall

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
downloading fedora (mlady)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
was torn between either that or arch. maybe I'll split the drive

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

hifi posted:

you need to change the logs' ownership to be root:nginx

What did it default to?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Helicity posted:

that sounds like me. i fondly look back on the days of breaking the dialup configuration on the family computer and being unable to use bitchx

my first distro was also slackware and i remember having to find my nic drivers on windows, using a floppy diskette to transfer them, then figuring out how to compile and use them :allears:

that was the same summer i learned about networking with a very cheap hub, as well as multibooting so i could try other distros. it was also an impressively warm summer so my computer had a box fan cooling it for the majority of my time as i sat patiently

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Agile Vector posted:

my first distro was also slackware and i remember having to find my nic drivers on windows, using a floppy diskette to transfer them, then figuring out how to compile and use them :allears:

i remember envying dudes who could afford sco or solaris x86 because driver floppies always had pre-built drivers for those :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

what's the dnf command to upgrade from fc27 to fc28? I skimmed the man file and nothing stood out