Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Sormus posted:

Gainward still has the most huffsfarts model name they've used since like Geforce 2 days: THE GOLDEN SAMPLE.

The Gainward CARDEXpert GeForce2 MX400 Golden Sample

Looking forward to a new gaming card called THE GOLDEN SHOWER, complete with a diamond-encrusted, 24k gold plated shroud (so it'll probably be an AMD product).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I mean, if you're gaming at 1080p 60hz, yeah. It's not unreasonable to think that someone with a 1080ti is also doing things with VR or at least 1440p at 120hz or whatnot.

I think I'm just nostalgic of the days where the latest and greatest cpu and gpu combo could barely push an average of 40 frames on some 'state of the art' gently caress you graphics engines. The old Operation Flashpoint game couldn't even run well with max LOD settings like 4-5 years after release as drawing that much poo poo on screen at a decent frame rate required way too much vram than was available even that long post-release.

Only game I can think of nowadays that's even comparable to that madness is the Metro games where enabling maxed out AO and AA will make even a 1080ti cry.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Looking forward to a new gaming card called THE GOLDEN SHOWER, complete with a diamond-encrusted, 24k gold plated shroud (so it'll probably be an AMD product).

AMD had Raja for a while and can now create the perfect shroud. His single job is now done.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

At least you'd ensure Barron would get a present his father actually bought him personally for once.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But what if Raja's emails get leaked?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The cool thing about Golden Sample cards is they were a model number up from their listed model. A 4200 GS was identical to a 4400, etc for not nearly the price difference. They were probably just buying the cheaper cards and putting good coolers on them to factory overclock them, but back then you pretty much had to do it yourself anyways because the stock coolers were small and loud.

Did they make a 4600 GS? Did that one just have 25MHz higher clocks than the reference 4600? Anyone have one?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Craptacular! posted:

Oh no, you might buy a nice card, instead of one that will not be discernibly different for years. And then the You Years From Now will have to either live with discernible differences or continue drawing an income to solve the problem. Quick, think! What would The You Years From Now do?

That You would want immediate satisfaction, and decide to let You Of 2026 live with the slightly worse gaming experience for it.

But that slightly discernible difference will ruin me and make my life pointless, you see.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

craig588 posted:

The cool thing about Golden Sample cards is they were a model number up from their listed model. A 4200 GS was identical to a 4400, etc for not nearly the price difference. They were probably just buying the cheaper cards and putting good coolers on them to factory overclock them, but back then you pretty much had to do it yourself anyways because the stock coolers were small and loud.

Did they make a 4600 GS? Did that one just have 25MHz higher clocks than the reference 4600? Anyone have one?

Memory is rather hazy but I'm pretty sure their whatever old blinged GPU cost around the same as their own and others standard X+1 GPU making the whole thing mostly pointless

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

craig588 posted:

Wasn't that because the 4200s were pretty close to the 4400s anyway?

I had the Asus Ti4200 with the active shutter glasses. I remember it was a nice purple with a gold fan and also that it was trounced by the 9800 Pro I replaced it with

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

“The strength in Radeon products was driven by both gaming and blockchain demand. We believe blockchain was approximately 10% of AMD revenue in Q1 2018,” said AMD’s CFO Devinder Kumar on the earnings call.

AMD also provided guidance for full-year 2018 saying “based on the strength of our business momentum … we now expect revenue to increase by mid-20’s percent over 2017, driven by the ramp of our new products. Blockchain revenue to be mid- to high-single digit percentage of revenue for 2018.”
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-q1-revenue-cryptocurrency-mining-105923537.html

ufarn
May 30, 2009
"70% of demand was driven by the Shroud."

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anonymouse Mook posted:

Wasn't that because the 4200s were pretty close to the 4400s anyway?

I had the Asus Ti4200 with the active shutter glasses. I remember it was a nice purple with a gold fan and also that it was trounced by the 9800 Pro I replaced it with

Yeah the 4200 4400 and 4600 were all remarkably similar. 25MHz of clock speed was the only difference between them. I think when the 4200 and 4400 launched they only launched with 64MB versions and the 4600 was the only way to get 128MB of memory, but 3rd parties made 128MB versions of all of them and they all clocked so well that the 4200 was all you needed to buy and save ~150 dollars. 4200 days were good times for consumers. I had a 4200, one of the last times I was able to not get the top end videocard and have it not matter at all.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

the piss card is real

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

ufarn posted:

"70% of demand was driven by the Shroud."

lmao

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Believe it or not they did in fact sell freaking Vegas to gamers, recent steam survey shows a recovery from the initial slump with their market share starting to rise again. (unless this is just second hand market buying cards back from miners that are selling them)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ah yes, Vega has recovered to *checks notes*

[...]

0.04% market share

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheCoach posted:

Believe it or not they did in fact sell freaking Vegas to gamers, recent steam survey shows a recovery from the initial slump with their market share starting to rise again. (unless this is just second hand market buying cards back from miners that are selling them)

They just started trying to filter out cyber cafes (eg. Chinese ones) which mostly run on Intel quad-cores with Nvidia cards (GTX 750, 960, 1050) on Windows 7.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

repiv posted:

Ah yes, Vega has recovered to *checks notes*

[...]

0.04% market share

Its up 0.01% so that's really a 25% increase.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wacky Delly posted:

r/AMD: In only three more Steam surveys Vega will have 100% market share! :downs:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

They changed how the Steam Survey samples users this month (because as orcane pointed out, cyber cafe PCs were being counted multiple times) so comparing the numbers to last months isn't very useful.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

orcane posted:

They just started trying to filter out cyber cafes (eg. Chinese ones) which mostly run on Intel quad-cores with Nvidia cards (GTX 750, 960, 1050) on Windows 7.

So it's this + flipped miner cards then, oh well. I wanted the Vega comedy option to be true.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
RX480 finally outsold the 980 Ti

Checkmate ngreedia and nvidiots

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

Palladium posted:

RX480 finally outsold the 980 Ti

Checkmate ngreedia and nvidiots

My 980 Ti I bought 3 years ago is still a beast!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Wacky Delly posted:

33%.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
The fact thats 4 hundredths is pretty eye opening lol. Thats about 4 times less than needed to make it out of the "other" threshold, and at that point (~0.15%) you have wonderful cards such as the GT 220, GT 9800, 560ti, and GTX 440

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

1gnoirents posted:

The fact thats 4 hundredths is pretty eye opening lol. Thats about 4 times less than needed to make it out of the "other" threshold, and at that point (~0.15%) you have wonderful cards such as the GT 220, GT 9800, 560ti, and GTX 440

And that's "RX Vega", they are counting Vega56 and Vega64 as the same card. If they were counted separately like the Nvidia cards then the numbers would be even more dire.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

And that's "RX Vega", they are counting Vega56 and Vega64 as the same card. If they were counted separately like the Nvidia cards then the numbers would be even more dire.

It was only somewhere last year that their HD79xx from loving 2011 finally isn't their #1 card in the Steam list.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I just got my Dell Vega M/Intel mashup thing in hand. I'll log onto steam real quick and boost their numbers to 0.05%

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Next gen mobile chips coming at the end of the year, if you trust a random Gigabyte rep on a forum. Thats how desperate we are for news on these goddamn chips.

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-next-gen-mobile-gpus-are-scheduled-towards-the-end-of-the-year

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

1gnoirents posted:

I just got my Dell Vega M/Intel mashup thing in hand. I'll log onto steam real quick and boost their numbers to 0.05%

Which one was that again?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

My hope for the next gen (or non-inflated prices) finally cracked and I ordered a used Ebay GTX 1070 for $395. Boy howdy I hope I don't regret it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
$395 is pretty decent. I don't really see them going much below $300 in the near future, barring a complete and total collapse of cryptomining.

BTW, Bitmain just announced Equihash ASICs that do 15x the hashrate of a 1080 Ti at 1/10th the power.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

Which one was that again?

The Dell 15" XPS 2 in 1s have those Intel/Vega chips. Though from what I heard in this thread its likely Polaris with HBM, it still reports as Vega.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is relevant to me, I thought I was having hardware problems, but drivers getting removed was apparently a driver issue. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4661

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

craig588 posted:

This is relevant to me, I thought I was having hardware problems, but drivers getting removed was apparently a driver issue. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4661

How the gently caress does that even happen?

I also had that issue in the past few days where games would stop booting up stating that there was no direct x supported graphics card installed (1080ti). Restart fixed it, but it was still weird.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve had that too. Maybe this fixes?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

1gnoirents posted:

The Dell 15" XPS 2 in 1s have those Intel/Vega chips. Though from what I heard in this thread its likely Polaris with HBM, it still reports as Vega.

Nice! I wasn't sure if it was the XPS or HP Spectre. Thinking pretty hard about the Spectre, looking forward to hearing what you think!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

NewFatMike posted:

Nice! I wasn't sure if it was the XPS or HP Spectre. Thinking pretty hard about the Spectre, looking forward to hearing what you think!

If you can feel a new macbook pro keyboard. If that doesn't bug you, the dell rules (its similar, though better). If it does bug you (and frankly I could see how it would to a lot of people) then the HP is probably the way to go. Only reason I say Dell otherwise is its thermal management is really sweet among other little things.

I tested Overwatch and the Vega M worked exactly as well as reviews suggested. Whats interesting to me is I wiped the computer immediately and reinstalled vanilla Win 10 which is my standard laptop behavior but I was a little concerned being as how this was so new and in particular how the Vega M/Intel CPU drivers would work on a clean install. Turns out Microsoft has all the latest drivers for the entire laptop, including that chip, motherboard, etc and simply running Windows update took care of everything in minutes. I went through and manually tried to update key drivers and it was all for nothing, its truly up to date.

But I did lose the super wacky Intel branded AMD Catalyst control center. As far as I can tell there is no simple way to get that back, which is more of a shame than it should be lol.

I noticed also that both the iGPU and Vega M GPU run simultaneously and so far appears seamless in its transitions or what it chooses to run on which even as im intentionally forcing windowed mode and alt tabbing like crazy. I'm impressed so far by the GPU performance considering the size and scope of the overall laptop. This, or at least chips like this in design (CPU + GPU on the same die) is clearly a huge advantage in laptops.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Paul MaudDib posted:

BTW, Bitmain just announced Equihash ASICs that do 15x the hashrate of a 1080 Ti at 1/10th the power.

Which means they've probably been mining with them for 3 months already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

1gnoirents posted:

If you can feel a new macbook pro keyboard. If that doesn't bug you, the dell rules (its similar, though better). If it does bug you (and frankly I could see how it would to a lot of people) then the HP is probably the way to go. Only reason I say Dell otherwise is its thermal management is really sweet among other little things.

I tested Overwatch and the Vega M worked exactly as well as reviews suggested. Whats interesting to me is I wiped the computer immediately and reinstalled vanilla Win 10 which is my standard laptop behavior but I was a little concerned being as how this was so new and in particular how the Vega M/Intel CPU drivers would work on a clean install. Turns out Microsoft has all the latest drivers for the entire laptop, including that chip, motherboard, etc and simply running Windows update took care of everything in minutes. I went through and manually tried to update key drivers and it was all for nothing, its truly up to date.

But I did lose the super wacky Intel branded AMD Catalyst control center. As far as I can tell there is no simple way to get that back, which is more of a shame than it should be lol.

I noticed also that both the iGPU and Vega M GPU run simultaneously and so far appears seamless in its transitions or what it chooses to run on which even as im intentionally forcing windowed mode and alt tabbing like crazy. I'm impressed so far by the GPU performance considering the size and scope of the overall laptop. This, or at least chips like this in design (CPU + GPU on the same die) is clearly a huge advantage in laptops.

On that's very cool!

The 74Wh battery on the Dell worries me a smidge, but the 84Wh one isn't a huge upgrade.

I'm hoping the HP doesn't have soldered internals for later upgrades. I may swing over to Best Buy and see if it feels like crap.

Glad performance is looking good! I need to spec it out next to some of the new XPS 15s.

I want that whacky GPU because I hate myself?