Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Opl is just open pitlane m9. It’s a circuit days day.

Yeah man I’ll come along if you book anything. Ideally want some Friday days so I don’t lose too many hours at work. Either track is fine with me!

It's circuit days and DN who mainly do trackdays at the ring right? Just wondering do you have a euro breakdown policy, as thats my main worry about driving on the continent.

But yeah i'll let you know as I want to do as many days as I can this year. Also now I've got a second set of wheels I can go for some R888R's or something similar that I can get in staggered 16's sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Anyone going to be at Summit Point this weekend?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
A thing happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUuudil9cU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

poo poo man, hope you're alright.

How bad is the damage?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a hard hit. Hope you're not hurt.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I am assuming you must not be laid up since you took the time to pull the footage off the camera, edit it, and upload to YT. So, how's the damage? Is the engine bay intact?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
You think going off in the beginning of that clip damaged something enough to make the other event happen? Glad you're ok (I hope).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ouch. I didn't listen with volume but did something fail?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Brake failure? Whiffed on the braking marker?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

PaintVagrant posted:

Brake failure? Whiffed on the braking marker?

As my ex-home track and seeing him race before, I'm pretty sure he should be taking that flat-out/liftoff only in a Miata.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm going to assume that the offtrack cut a tire on the left side. Probably the left rear.

Hard to know what to do in that situation. Car wants to spin. Driver didn't want to spin.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah strange looking situation. Didnt saw at the wheel or do anything dramatic, just drove straight into the wall. Scary poo poo.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Sorry, posted that then was away from the forums for a bit.

I'm fine. Hip is a bit sore at some angles and my neck was sore yesterday. Safety gear did its job very well. Data says I hit the tire wall at 65.

It looks like all of the damage is fore of the frame rails. Pretty much everything related to the bumper is mangled, but I can't find any damage on anything structural. I'm not sure I buy it though.

w/r/t braking, yeah I don't need to do it here. Honestly, I don't even need to lift. I took the turn flat the day before, but the lack of runoff and the minimal lap time difference lead me to just leave some on the table there.

Tires are all good, I didn't check pressures but they would be flat by now if one was going down. Front left wheel and tire are actually undamaged. Nothing is grossly misaligned on the car other than the front toe because of this:

There are three theories right now.

1. Hand's couldn't cash the check my ego wrote. I'd like to say this isn't it. I found another lap with an extremely similar profile except I was going 1.5mph slower. This was a few laps earlier and my tires shouldn't have been 100% then.
2. Steering rack broke. I'd like it to be this one since it puts it off to freak accident but I'm not sure I buy it. What I can't figure out is how the rack broke. Absent the subframe moving towards the firewall there shouldn't have been stress on that part. Clearly there was though. Wheel didn't snap on the impact. Did the T1 off break it partially then T4 finish it off? I can't think of a single instance of a steering rack breaking on a Miata like this though.
3. Alignment changed on the T1 off. This one is pretty likely. I took 1/4" of toe out of the car before qualifying on Sunday that I'm pretty sure was introduced during the race on Saturday. It could have happened again. I'll have to take the car off dollies and hit it with a toe gauge again.

I unfortunately remember nothing about the corrections. By the time my conscious mind caught up it was to plan the impact.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

FatCow posted:

Sorry, posted that then was away from the forums for a bit.

I'm fine. Hip is a bit sore at some angles and my neck was sore yesterday. Safety gear did its job very well. Data says I hit the tire wall at 65.

It looks like all of the damage is fore of the frame rails. Pretty much everything related to the bumper is mangled, but I can't find any damage on anything structural. I'm not sure I buy it though.

w/r/t braking, yeah I don't need to do it here. Honestly, I don't even need to lift. I took the turn flat the day before, but the lack of runoff and the minimal lap time difference lead me to just leave some on the table there.

Tires are all good, I didn't check pressures but they would be flat by now if one was going down. Front left wheel and tire are actually undamaged. Nothing is grossly misaligned on the car other than the front toe because of this:

<snip>

There are three theories right now.

1. Hand's couldn't cash the check my ego wrote. I'd like to say this isn't it. I found another lap with an extremely similar profile except I was going 1.5mph slower. This was a few laps earlier and my tires shouldn't have been 100% then.
2. Steering rack broke. I'd like it to be this one since it puts it off to freak accident but I'm not sure I buy it. What I can't figure out is how the rack broke. Absent the subframe moving towards the firewall there shouldn't have been stress on that part. Clearly there was though. Wheel didn't snap on the impact. Did the T1 off break it partially then T4 finish it off? I can't think of a single instance of a steering rack breaking on a Miata like this though.
3. Alignment changed on the T1 off. This one is pretty likely. I took 1/4" of toe out of the car before qualifying on Sunday that I'm pretty sure was introduced during the race on Saturday. It could have happened again. I'll have to take the car off dollies and hit it with a toe gauge again.

I unfortunately remember nothing about the corrections. By the time my conscious mind caught up it was to plan the impact.

Glad to hear you're okay and that it looks like everything is fixable, but I'd be nervous without throwing it on a frame rack.

Re - the rack - I'd bet it broke on the impact with the wall. At 0:35 when you impact you've still got a death grip on the wheel, and actually appear to turn towards the wall. My guess is that the impact actually broke the rack, or I would have expected to see the wheel move around a fair bit more on impact. Based on the way the fracture in the rack looks, it's almost as if the pinion and rack were locked together and something pulled the front of the drivers side wheel away from the car.

I'd lean towards option 3. It looks like you turn in, correct a bit, go to turn in again and I can't tell if you can't turn in anymore because it's understeering or because if you do the back will let go. It's kinda hard to tell whats actually going on from the video. Little confused by taking 1/4" of toe out of the car - front or rear, and did you decrease the amount of toe out or decrease the amount of toe in?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I just can't see that as a driver failure...I've gone off track and my lizard brain would have made me at least attempt to make *some* of the turn. It's like the car bound up on corner entry.

I'd be amazed if there isn't more stuff bent though.

edit: One thing I try to drill in my head, if you're going to make an unavoidable impact hands off the wheel.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 25, 2018

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gently caress glad you’re ok dude. Just got home a few hours ago from Watkins Glen with NASA NE. The event was pretty empty which is kind of sad but loving was it awesome basically having the track to myself. Managed to run a 2:19.3 which is 11 seconds faster than last September. I need some camber though because I was getting sidewall rollover on the left front in the toe of the boot.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

That sucks. I used to ride there a lot and that turn is deceptively dangerous. Not really a braking zone because it's a pretty shallow corner, but you still carry some speed and if anything happens it's basically right in front of the wall.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's the website that sells used racecars in the US?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

net work error posted:

What's the website that sells used racecars in the US?

racingjunk?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Racingjunk, race-cars.com, http://prodracing.com/viewforum.php?f=4 https://improvedtouring.com/forumdisplay.php?64-Classifieds-Ads and https://gt-racecar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3 are my usual "I'm in the mood to daydream" trawl.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks, race-cars.com was it. I was b-spec dreaming...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm doing my first autocross in the beater 95 miata this Sunday. The steering rack is leaking but not too badly. It marks it's spots after a day sitting. Wish I'd converted to manual :-(

Here's the course map:

I'll be in novice class and I hope to have fun and learn a lot. Hope I won't get razzed too bad about my clunker-rear end car. I couldn't find a car hauler in all of Houston to trailer it out, so I also hope I don't break it. It looks like the lower path through the bottom cones would be faster, same with the upper slalom. Any tips on surviving this?

E: at least it photographs well...

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 3, 2018

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

BloodBag posted:

I'm doing my first autocross in the beater 95 miata this Sunday. The steering rack is leaking but not too badly. It marks it's spots after a day sitting. Wish I'd converted to manual :-(

Here's the course map:

I'll be in novice class and I hope to have fun and learn a lot. Hope I won't get razzed too bad about my clunker-rear end car. I couldn't find a car hauler in all of Houston to trailer it out, so I also hope I don't break it. It looks like the lower path through the bottom cones would be faster, same with the upper slalom. Any tips on surviving this?

You're going to go race in a car with a known fluid leak?

EDIT: Tip: Left path, right path, left path.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 3, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Prong Song posted:

I'd considered it. It's not like it leaves a trail. It just leaves a couple drops after it's been sitting a bit. It weeps out the end of the rack boots.

If all else fails I'll spectate or volunteer and come again next month after I've swapped the rack with another rebuild. Never even seen an autocross in person, so that would be nice.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 3, 2018

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

One of the tips given to me when I first started autocrossing was to just focus on getting a time, meaning to learn how to read the course and not get an off course. After that it's just a matter of getting better. Get an instructor to ride along with you or have them do a run with you in your car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Prong Song posted:

It's power steering. And a miata. Run it.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Don't worry about people razzing you for your car, there's a lot of junk at autocrosses and everyone is just there to have fun. My first time out was in a first gen Dodge Neon with peeling paint and a leaking headgasket, so you'll be fine. :)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The Prong Song posted:

I mean I'd probably try all the paths throughout the day, but I'd personally go right/left/right, based on where I think I'd be able to carry speed.

Also don't worry about a minor power steering leak.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dave Inc. posted:

Don't worry about people razzing you for your car, there's a lot of junk at autocrosses and everyone is just there to have fun. My first time out was in a first gen Dodge Neon with peeling paint and a leaking headgasket, so you'll be fine. :)

Truer words were never spoken.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No tire shine, it's slick and your tires will roll onto it. Bump air pressure up to 40ish psi and if you have a portable pump and gauge bring them. Bring sunscreen and use it. Chair, hat, and drinks too.

They'll make you strip anything loose out of your car. Radar detector, floor mats, etc. They'll also make sure your battery tie down is legit and tight. If it might rain bring a tarp or something to cover everything you'll have to pull out.

Other than that have fun. Don't be afraid to let people know it's your first time and ask for help. Everyone loves to share their hobby. If you ask for a ride and get shot down it probably just means they're to close for comfort timewise to a competitor.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Those are great tips, thanks! Uhaul just called and I got a trailer :perfect: That's a huge weight off my mind to have a support vehicle there where I can keep some tools, maybe bring an ez up unless those are not kosher at autocross events. People do trailer out, right?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yes. Usually serious business cars but you won't be out of place.

Ez up is a great idea. Your neighbors will love you for a seat in the shade.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

honda whisperer posted:

Yes. Usually serious business cars but you won't be out of place.

Ez up is a great idea. Your neighbors will love you for a seat in the shade.

Awww sheeeit. All rigged up

And yes, I do call my truck the War Rig, why do you ask?

Dunno my number yet, so it's gonna be a ninendo car for a hot minute.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Why does your car have like an inch and a half of rake?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm having setup issues back there. The koni hieroglyphics indicated that I should put the perch on the highest setting, which was way too high back there. I was going to put it on the lowest setting but the perch then hits the half shafts. So, it's set to the middle and it's still all high. Maybe with my weight in it, it'll settle a bit.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
That's going to make for some interesting dynamics.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have the secret to making your windshields last longer (other than not running desert tracks)?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The dynamics were thus: wallowy and dragging tires on the fender liners up front. I need to sort this out. I guess I'll try to re-use the rusty rear end original springs since these ebay specials are all wrong. I wasn't DFL, but I was close! I had a blast! Doing corner marshalling was so much fun. Being on the course with these amazing cars roaring around was so exhilarating. I had a few rides from other drivers: an NC miata, an Audi S3, and a NB miata. I have new found respect for all the cars and drivers. I had no idea you can have so much grip and corner so hard.

My first run was garbage and I didn't have an instructor, but I was learning the course. Afterwards I got some instruction and it did a lot for me.I've done HPDE on a track but this is entirely different. It's so brutal and violent. Track seems to focus on being smooth. AX it's smoothness but there's just no time to think about anything. The car started to get really hot on my last run waiting on the grid, but it kept up with me no problem. Waiting in the paddock to load it back onto the trailer I see that the entire power steering system let go. I'm so happy I decided to trailer in.

I'm also happy I did this event. It renewed my enthusiasm for this car and helped me focus on what I want out of it going forward. The chief things I need to address are the power steering leak, the suspension ride height situation, the instructor told me I seriously need an upgraded front swaybar. and I really need to address cooling. It was almost 90 degrees out and after the first run I ran the heater full blast. I'm thinking of doing the coolant reroute from supermiata and possibly the fan setup from flyin miata. I'll upload my first run (because the gopro wasn't on for all the others :ughh: ) I realize I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm eager to learn!

E: The instructor was right in saying I needed front bar. What neither of us knew is that both bars had pulled the upper bushing from one swaybar endlink. Guess I'll head to the miata thread to figure out how to stop this from happening. I'm guessing bigass washers...

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 7, 2018

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've always seen the hpde stuff as trying to creep up to the limit while autox is about who can guess the limit on the track walk and make it stick.

My first autox in a rwd car is this coming weekend. I haven't been to one in a decade. I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 4, 2020