Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Captain Invictus posted:

I hope they work that amazing bug into the game legitimately somehow

Fanatic pacifist xenophobes. "Leave me alone, please".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

iospace posted:

lol, yes

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

iospace posted:

Inward perfecting so hard you don't want to even show up on a viewscreen

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Species Trait Shyness:

-5% pop growth
-10 diplomacy modifier (cancels Repugnant modifier)
-1 Other Empire visibility range

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I haven't played in a few months, should I be using 2.04 or the 2.05 beta?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I haven't played in a few months, should I be using 2.04 or the 2.05 beta?
Beta just fixed some multi-player issues so go where your heart leads.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
thanks, ill do stable I guess, I dont gently caress with MP at all

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bloodly posted:

Not Chemical Bliss. NEVER Chemical Bliss. The +happy doesn't make up for the roughly -45% output(baseline -60 to everything for Bliss, +15 or so for the +40 Happy taking you to 90%...but that's not counting Faction happiness and such). Unless you're seeking the ultimate in challenge starts. Can you deal with a homeworld that's producing next to nothing?

Ok then something else that's Space Drugs But Not The Bad Kind OK

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Hot Karl Marx posted:

thanks, ill do stable I guess, I dont gently caress with MP at all

Good idea! Stellaris has this weird verification thing where 9 times out of 10, everything goes well. 1 times out 10 however, the secret RNG behind multiplayer comes up 3 skulls-in-a-row, and then you enter this nightmarish realm of verifying your files over and over again, doing tons of ever more obscure poo poo to make this work, steal hours of time from the other players, until you give up in disgust.

So better not try it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I don't really see the point of the Fleet cap. Am I missing something with it? There seems to be no downside (well besides the outnumber penalty, but that isn't entirely a downside and isn't always going to be the case) to just having multiple fleets in combat if you need to, and one Leader seems to command the entire battle. Does Fleet cap do anything besides encourage you to make multiple fleets, which you could do anyway if you need to?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Darkrenown posted:

I don't really see the point of the Fleet cap. Am I missing something with it? There seems to be no downside (well besides the outnumber penalty, but that isn't entirely a downside and isn't always going to be the case) to just having multiple fleets in combat if you need to, and one Leader seems to command the entire battle. Does Fleet cap do anything besides encourage you to make multiple fleets, which you could do anyway if you need to?

It was an ultimately futile attempt to stop the player from doomstacking

The player still needs to coordinate all these fleets to one place because half the time the AI cheats and goes over fleet cap anyway

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
It's also because putting too many ships in one fleet broke the interface so they changed the system to say 'you're going to have to split your fleets and we'll give you an idea of how big each fleet should be for this stage of the game' rather than just put a fixed hard cap on it.

Yeah it's not ideal.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
A problem with the doomstack was that it was the only thing people did. Have a massive fleet and just roll through enemies. Who cares about limits when you have millions of fleet power.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

admirals only command their own fleet and so only give their bonuses to one fleet. it's so that you have to hire admirals.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

iospace posted:

Empire-wide debuff: "On Smoko"

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jazerus posted:

admirals only command their own fleet and so only give their bonuses to one fleet. it's so that you have to hire admirals.

Do they? You could be right, but I don't see that reflected in the UI at all. When multiple fleets are in the same battle one Admiral takes the "leader of the battle spot" which appears to indicate they are leading all the ships, like what happens in an EU4 battle. It could just be bad UI, but even then it'd be more of a Command Cap than a Fleet size Cap since you can just have fleet 2/3/4 follow the first fleet and functionally have a much larger fleet than your cap even if some part aren't getting the leader bonus, or you just have multiple leaders. If the idea is only to make you use more leaders it'd be less clunky to call it a Command limit and let you assign multiple leaders to the same fleet if you want it to be larger, somewhat like in CK2.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

IAmTheRad posted:

A problem with the doomstack was that it was the only thing people did. Have a massive fleet and just roll through enemies. Who cares about limits when you have millions of fleet power.

Yeah, but it doesn't do anything to actually prevent doom stacking from being the optimal strategy, and so everyone still does it. EU4 has the exact same problem, serious battles aren't fought between armies, you just have a lot of armies in one place and everyone cycles their armies through a battle Verdun style until one side can't keep up, and then they probably lose the war.

The only solution to this is some sort of logistics system, but apparently nobody has been able to invent one that's fun to play.

Darkrenown posted:

Do they? You could be right, but I don't see that reflected in the UI at all. When multiple fleets are in the same battle one Admiral takes the "leader of the battle spot" which appears to indicate they are leading all the ships, like what happens in an EU4 battle. It could just be bad UI, but even then it'd be more of a Command Cap than a Fleet size Cap since you can just have fleet 2/3/4 follow the first fleet and functionally have a much larger fleet than your cap even if some part aren't getting the leader bonus, or you just have multiple leaders. If the idea is only to make you use more leaders it'd be less clunky to call it a Command limit and let you assign multiple leaders to the same fleet if you want it to be larger, somewhat like in CK2.

I think it is just bad UI. Admiral effect apply to the ships themselves, which you can see reflected in the fleet power when you assign/remove them.

e: VVV also yeah it's possible it splits the fleets up, I too am a busy man and have never bothered to scroll that far down.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Does the battle window not split up separate fleets? Usually it has things like stations, civilianship and transports split up but come to think of it I've never bothered scrolling down to see what it all looks like.

I'm pretty sure each admiral only confers a bonus to the fleet they are in though. I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

Shugojin posted:

It was an ultimately futile attempt to stop the player from doomstacking

The player still needs to coordinate all these fleets to one place because half the time the AI cheats and goes over fleet cap anyway

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't do anything to actually prevent doom stacking from being the optimal strategy, and so everyone still does it. EU4 has the exact same problem, serious battles aren't fought between armies, you just have a lot of armies in one place and everyone cycles their armies through a battle Verdun style until one side can't keep up, and then they probably lose the war.
Fleet cap wasn't the only thing introduced to nerf doomstacking/boost splitting your ships, and doomstacking really isn't the one-size-fits-all solution anymore. Pre-2.0 if a doomstack caught a split fleet the split fleet was toast and all the ships were dead, which usually spelled the effective end of the war because there was no way to recover from that. Meanwhile the doomstack took little or no damage at all. The expected benefits of having multiple fleets attacking multiple different parts of an empire didn't really apply because a defending doomstack could easily catch up with those fleets before they could do any meaningful damage. Defending with multiple fleets was unnecessary because your doomstack could get everywhere it needed fast enough anyway, and pointless because, as above, fighting the doomstack with fewer ships meant a toast fleet, no resources to rebuild, and a lost war.

Post 2.0 the underdog fleet gets a fire-rate bonus, making the advantages of numerical superiority a bit less quadratic. More importantly many if not most of your ships will survive, making it much easier to recover from a loss. So a solo fleet getting caught by a fleet of fleets still hurts, but it's no longer the GG WP it was before. The slower map speed means that if you're running several fleets at once in enemy territory the doomstack isn't going to be able to run them all down anytime soon. The new territory system means that if you're taking territory two or three times faster than your opponent then you're also gaining a lot of their resources, making it easier to recover from losses. Mechanically the fleet cap fits into this by forcing you to buy extra admirals if you want to run at full power even if you're running a doomstack, taking the leader pool penalty out of the equation. Psychologically it means that since your ships are already split into a few discrete groups, you're more likely to try sending them off to do different things rather than going with a gut feeling of bigger-is-better.

If you're still just mashing your doomstacks against each other then yeah you're not going to see any difference, but if you actually try to engage with the new benefits of splitting your fleet and waging economic warfare you might be pleasantly surprised! I'm also not staying doomstacks aren't functional, and obviously if you're going for an early leviathan or wolf359-ing an incoming planet cracker then you're still going to want all ships on deck, but running a war with multiple fleets is at least equivalent in benefits as opposed to the trap it was pre-2.0.

Generally I have about four fleets running simultaneously, merging and splitting them as needed, but I've not hit a standard war situation where sending them all around in one big blob for a meaningful amount of time was going to do better than three-ish groups.

PittTheElder posted:

The only solution to this is some sort of logistics system, but apparently nobody has been able to invent one that's fun to play.
SotS1 :colbert:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 4, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

You should be able to see that your fleet power isn't changing in a multi-fleet battle (the fleet power on your list on the right reflects admiral strength), but I'm pretty confident that admirals only benefit the fleet they're in charge of. Like Weasel said, if you scroll down the leader should be listed on their fleet.

The limits to doomstacks are fleet travel times. Having a fleet cap lets a player more easily balance out multiple fleets without completely going over their over naval capacity. It also gives you a reason to hire more than 1 admiral.

pre-emptive edit: Splicer really summed it up well.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh yeah it's useful against like normal AIs and such, but usually when the poo poo hits the fan against like a crisis or an awakened empire (a bit less the second one now) you still need a pretty doomstacky thing.

I think I like the flavor of "ALL FLEETS, GET THAT loving DIMENSIONAL PORTAL" better than "OKAY GIANT rear end FLEET DO THE SAME THING YOU DO EVERY DAY" though :shobon:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Having a endgame crisis requiring you to doomstack because it can take on you and the rest of the galaxy is a hugely different situation. The exception and not the norm is a good place for doomstacking.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So with the Sanctuary ringworld thing, if you Enlighten the primitives on it, how does that end up working? They can't end up sharing the system, so does it just end up with the first one to hit spacefaring?

I'm trying to figure out how to end up controlling this ring without pissing off a bunch of factions by just invading the place.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Assimilation cloud colossus :v:

See also: Taking FE planets with all that juicy industry completely intact.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

Seriously?

Nearest connection is to the far left, the one to the right is even further away.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gekkoh posted:

Seriously?

Nearest connection is to the far left, the one to the right is even further away.

Maybe that wormhole in nithascal goes somewhere useful?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

evenworse username posted:

So with the Sanctuary ringworld thing, if you Enlighten the primitives on it, how does that end up working? They can't end up sharing the system, so does it just end up with the first one to hit spacefaring?

I'm trying to figure out how to end up controlling this ring without pissing off a bunch of factions by just invading the place.

As my understanding goes: system belongs to whoever has a colonized planet in the system. If more than one planet is colonized, the system may be shared, such as when you have a colony established and a primitive species hits empire status on another planet. If I remember right with the old war mechanics you could demand one planet of multiple in a system which would also end up in shared system possession, but I don't know if that's possible with the new claims mechanics.

In your case, I assume that you don't have a colony in the Sanctuary system, so whoever gets uplifted first assumes possession of the system and then your uplift progress of the others is halted. Maybe build a habitat first since that counts as a colony?

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
Ever go to war just so you could finish Alien Specimen Procurement?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Gekkoh posted:

Ever go to war just so you could finish Alien Specimen Procurement?

Yes, but also to procure more alien specmens (for the stew).

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Gekkoh posted:

Ever go to war because Cybrex Alpha spawned just off your borders and gently caress you AI, I did these stupid worthless surveys, you don't get my goddamn ringworld you worthless shits.

Yes

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

isndl posted:

As my understanding goes: system belongs to whoever has a colonized planet in the system. If more than one planet is colonized, the system may be shared, such as when you have a colony established and a primitive species hits empire status on another planet. If I remember right with the old war mechanics you could demand one planet of multiple in a system which would also end up in shared system possession, but I don't know if that's possible with the new claims mechanics.
Now the whole system has a single owner. No more shared systems. Once you enlighten someone, they gain control of the system, including any of *your* planets there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Talkie Toaster posted:

Now the whole system has a single owner. No more shared systems. Once you enlighten someone, they gain control of the system, including any of *your* planets there.
I'm curious, if you have only one planet colonised and enlighten a species on a planet in the same system does your empire just vanish?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

I'm curious, if you have only one planet colonised and enlighten a species on a planet in the same system does your empire just vanish?

You immediately lose.

Just like if you dyson sphere your last planet's sun.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

You immediately lose.

Just like if you dyson sphere your last planet's sun.

I kind of feel like both of these should be achievements.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
When you enlighten a primitive civ, don't you also get the option to immediately integrate them into your empire? That seems like it should just become the automatic choice if you do it in the last colonized system you hold.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Slashrat posted:

When you enlighten a primitive civ, don't you also get the option to immediately integrate them into your empire? That seems like it should just become the automatic choice if you do it in the last colonized system you hold.

Only possible when you can use infiltration.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
In my current game I decide my new ringworld needs to be a site to store all the various races of the galaxy, just in case -ahem- something -ahem- happens to the rest of the galaxy. So I open up my contacts panel and sort my their opinion of me and start down the list looking to make migration treaties.

Highest opinion non-vassal empire... a determined assimilator I funneled resources to after they rebelled from their host because I always find that funny.

Second highest? An ordinary hive mind.

Third highest? Despotic Barbarians or something like that which apparently cannot migrate.

Fourth highest? Goddamn Inward Perfection spiritualists.

All of these assholes like me the most because none of us are in the big federation and 'mutual threat' is apparently enough of a reason, I guess. I did manage to get some psychic pops and subsequently made them psychic cyborgs though. Now I just gotta hope I can get them to make leaders.

Also I think I'm going to do something I haven't tried before, which is, after collecting the races I want to, set everything else to purge. Nice clean galaxy, no need for sectors.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 4, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If all your friends are socially maladjusted weirdos or outright sociopaths maaaaaybe you're the problem?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
When can we get a 'demand pops' diplomacy option? I only need one of each species for my bio-trophy collection. I guess the more sustenance inclined could use it for food variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

isndl posted:

When can we get a 'demand pops' diplomacy option? I only need one of each species for my bio-trophy collection. I guess the more sustenance inclined could use it for food variety.

Take the Nihilistic Acquisition perk or the Barbaric Despoiler civic and you can do exactly that with the Raiding bombardment stance!