Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah from exit press it sounds like Sebastian pulled the rug from under her (he even gave her the line of 'family visit's coming up so I'll keep you around for that at least').

It still wasn't great for her to throw a vote towards Donathan, but I guess that she figured that it was more likely that Naviti would vote Donathan than Donathan protecting her with an idol. In which case, showing loyalty by joining the majority vote might give her more wriggle room.

Honestly, Dom/Wendell locking down Laurel and Donathan pretty much doomed Malolo going into the merge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

STAC Goat posted:

I think its reasonable to assume she simply didn't have any confidence Donathan would use his idol on her. And she was right. So she just went with the Navati plan and hoped for the best.

Which isn't a good plan but its really not any kind of plan. Its just winging it but that's basically what Mololo's done all season.

"Hope for the best" makes no loving sense because if he plays the idol for her she just voted out SOMEONE THAT PLAYED AN IDOL FOR HER

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

"Hope for the best" makes no loving sense because if he plays the idol for her she just voted out SOMEONE THAT PLAYED AN IDOL FOR HER

And in that scenario, she earns some points with Naviti because she'd have saved Sebastian. If Sebastian was ousted, it would be (at that point) a 5-4 Naviti advantage, with a decent chance of Michael or Laurel going home at the second TC. So Malolo would still be down in numbers unless Wendell or Kellyn went home too.

It still wouldn't have been a great move, but at that point I can't fault her too much for trying to make any inroads with the seemingly unbreakable Navitis.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

He wasn't lying to her though, he was thinking about playing his idol on her. We had it in a confessional.

But he didn't follow through and didn't vote for Sebastian. So maybe he was telling the truth at the time but he didn't actually do it. Maybe there was thing in between those two that changed things but it seems very probable that he simply didn't do the kind of dumb idea he had. He also contemplated giving his idol to Laurel but clearly didn't. Like I said, its very Tai-like gameplay IMO. Lots of strategically and emotionally scatterbrained ideas that tends to make things messier than they need to be.

Lone Goat posted:

But he didn't play the idol for her and she had no reason to think he would. He also didn't vote for Sebastian. I really don't get this idea that we're granting that Donathan was playing straight with her when he didn't follow through on the plan either. Neither were truly allied, neither truly trusted each other to make such a move, Donathan offered a last second plan that seemed too good to be true, she went with her original "plan" to trust Sebastian, and she turned out to be right about not trusting Donathan but wrong about trusting Sebastian. Either way she was screwed.

I'm not crediting Jenna. She clearly was a bad/non player. And she got stupidly arrogant last night for a time. But like... she didn't screw herself. We're nitpicking that she should have trusted one person promising to save her who didn't follow through over another.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Donathan did vote Sebastian actually. It was 3-1-1.

So I think Donathan genuinely was looking to keep Malolo strong. Maybe he figured that Jenna 'giving up' would make the Navitis switch their target to him because, well, why wouldn't you keep around an apathetic minority member who looks like she's not going to fight for her life? That's an easy goat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Donathan did vote Sebastian actually. It was 3-1-1.

poo poo, my bad. I must have got twisted sideways on that with the two tribals.

That definitely changes things and undermines my argument a lot. Mea culpa. I still think Jenna had good reason to doubt Donathan would follow through and he didn't on the idol, and its basically a question of whether she trusted Sebastian or Donathan more. Its a bad position where she really has no control of her own fate so I'm less "bad job" and more "glad to be down one useless player."

But like, you've got every reason to dismiss as a moron who doesn't know what he's talking about now. What can I say?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 3, 2018

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I'm was amazed Chelsea won immunity. I thought for sure she was being set up as the first of a double boot.

The mini swap twist is cool in theory but it just seems to create another opportunity for someone to be swapfucked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm amazed she won because she looks like she's dying.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Either the next two episodes are going to be very predictable, or at least two of Chelsea/Sebastian/Angela are going into the finale. It's gonna be amusing watching Probst try to sell them as people worthy of winning a million dollars.

"And there's Chelsea! She's won some immunities and... that's it! And Sebastian! Who's... still high."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

RHAP said last night that some nerds worked out that she has the lowest amount of TV time for anyone who has made it that far. Which if true is kind of amazing considering she won two immunities and went to a bunch of tribals.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Wow the latest Ponderosa is something else. Jenna is great.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha apparently Jenna told the Naviti that Donathan had the idol, surprise, they avoided voting Donathan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

Haha apparently Jenna told the Naviti that Donathan had the idol, surprise, they avoided voting Donathan.

Ok. THAT's dumb.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wait where'd you hear that? I don't think I've seen her say that in any of her exit press so far.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

She said it with Rob. I think about 3/4 through

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

who did
who did she think they would vote for instead

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

RHAP said last night that some nerds worked out that she has the lowest amount of TV time for anyone who has made it that far. Which if true is kind of amazing considering she won two immunities and went to a bunch of tribals.

Does she really have less confessional time than Moustache Rick from South Pacific? Because I don't remember that guy saying a single word and he got to 5th.

Fast Luck posted:

ahahahahahahaha what an incredible dumbass

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"guess i may as well just send myself home"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If what she said was the truth (and I'm honestly gonna take it with a grain of salt), that might be more effort to send oneself home than Jenn from WA who was actively trying to get voted out.

Lone Goat posted:

Does she really have less confessional time than Moustache Rick from South Pacific? Because I don't remember that guy saying a single word and he got to 5th.

She literally hasn't had a confessional since the merge.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Chelsea's a professional cheerleader/dancer which helps explain her fitness in challenges but leaves the lack of tv time even more of a mystery.

where is the woman in this video?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SixBmBp9j0Y

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 4, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
who is Chelsea?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Didn't someone say that they got the least amount of rice ever this season? Maybe don't loving starve the 100lb girl to death if you want her to be interesting.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.
I haven't watched many seasons of Survivor so I didn't fully understand this "pagonging" you all spoke of until now. Oh my God gently caress pagonging forever.

Also, I know STAC will tell me to stop trying to edit read but for a number of weeks now I got the sense that Kellyn was getting a winner's edit. Especially ever since the Survivor gods sent her to Ghost island that first time and then kept showing her reactions to stuff and giving her a lot of story, I felt like the show was trying very hard to get me to like her. Well, now I'm not so sure what the show is trying to tell me, so ... I guess STAC is right? Heh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm guessing they just wanted you to like her because likable or interesting characters are usually beneficial to getting people to watch a TV show.

:)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I'm guessing they just wanted you to like her because likable or interesting characters are usually beneficial to getting people to watch a TV show.

this is a good and true theory, but i think most of the time the survivor editors sit around in a room pulling names out of a hat deciding who they're going to focus on for the season

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they just build a show around the material they have. Part of that is game narratives and action but a lot of it is simple who is an interesting character who provided entertaining material.

I think people sometimes lose track of the fact that even though this is a taped and edited show its not a work of fiction (at least not at its core source material). You can't MAKE a season long narrative whole scale out of thin air if it didn't happen. I highly doubt Chelsea is gonna win this game by hypothetical if she was they couldn't just make her interesting if she isn't.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Some people actually do just suck at talking to the camera.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

Some people actually do just suck at talking to the camera.

And those people should stick with Big Brother Canada, not go on Survivor !

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

Didn't someone say that they got the least amount of rice ever this season? Maybe don't loving starve the 100lb girl to death if you want her to be interesting.
At a certain point they traded shelter for a jumbo supply of rice.

Jenna posted:

We went three or four full days without actually eating anything, once we ran out of rice. For me, it wasn't that big of a struggle. But toward the end, they didn't show this: we negotiated to take down our bed and shelter for 20 pounds of rice, or something like that. It was insane, and Jeff Probst agreed to it. Toward the end, if you'll notice, Michael is spooning himself "pity rice," he called it. We were eating so much rice at the end.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Then what was the point of lower rations anyway? Was it really going to make the game any better to starve people out more than normal. Especially if you don't even acknowledge the shelter surrender as a plot point on the show.

Like maybe if you sold Exile Island as somewhere you want to go as a source of infinite food? But the players don't have a good way to ensure they go, and the potential for a game advantage is motivation enough.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, really seems like an odd season as far as food goes.

Hasn't been any footage of either tribe catching fish to eat. They didn't have any chickens this season either.

Limited rice is fine and all, but it won't work if the castaways can't forage for food.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

They've been showing Dom getting sick of her the last couple episodes, I could have seen it.

is there an easy/good way to watch this?

(this is about Survivor NZ) - There is a YouTube channel that has the first 2 episodes of this. Also, one of the Survivors told some stupid poo poo lie about the "advantage" from a 1v1 challenge...

(Which legitimately, the Outposts twist from Survivor NZ, is much better than Ghost Island)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 5, 2018

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, really seems like an odd season as far as food goes.

Hasn't been any footage of either tribe catching fish to eat. They didn't have any chickens this season either.

Limited rice is fine and all, but it won't work if the castaways can't forage for food.

They seem to be eating fine imo, Jennas ponderosa they mention she gained 3KG from her weigh-in ~3 days earlier from all the rice they had.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Iirc Dr Joe said rice rations had been halved with the intention of getting players to hunt for their own food. They’ve been on this island since 33 now so I guess have a pretty good understanding of the environment. I doubt Jeff objected since it should in theory be more reason to keep around the alpha male hunters.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fedelm posted:

I haven't watched many seasons of Survivor so I didn't fully understand this "pagonging" you all spoke of until now. Oh my God gently caress pagonging forever.

Also, I know STAC will tell me to stop trying to edit read but for a number of weeks now I got the sense that Kellyn was getting a winner's edit. Especially ever since the Survivor gods sent her to Ghost island that first time and then kept showing her reactions to stuff and giving her a lot of story, I felt like the show was trying very hard to get me to like her. Well, now I'm not so sure what the show is trying to tell me, so ... I guess STAC is right? Heh.

Kellyn was paranoid about Michael when she and the others should really be freaking out about the Domenic/Wendel power couple.
After the endurance challenge when they were smack-talking each other about how good they are at competition, Kellyn needs to find a way to pry Laurel and Donathan away from their alliance with Dom and Wendel, or they can all just sit back and watch one of those 2 win.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Good luck with that. Laurel knows where those two votes came from. She's annoying sometimes, but she's not stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think Kellyn was blind to the threat of Dom and Wendell, I think she just thought she had Desi, Angela, and Chelsea for the Navati numbers. I think that's why she was freaking out about Micheal and paranoid about a guys alliance. She was convinced she had the Navati women and the only thing that would undo her plans was Dom and Wendell recuiting people over.

Obviously she was really badly mistaken about Desi, though. And from the way it sounds she just neglected that relationship and has neglected Chelsea and Angela too by leaving them out of votes and a game talk.

And yeah, I can't see Laurel working with Kellyn after Kellyn tried to send her home immediately after she saved Kellyn. That's not exactly how you build trust. And again, as much as Laurel and Donathan need to get Dom and Wendell out if they do it now they're potentially handing all control to Kellyn and the Naviti B Team.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I think in this situation, if I were Laurel I would do something risky, and that's actually use this opportunity to take out Dom or Wendell by using Kellyn's guilt that she very likely has to keep her on my side and vote one of them out. It would be pretty ballsy but if it worked it sure would look good to the jury.

Not sure if this was talked about here or on the show itself, but does that fake David idol have like, paperwork to go with it? At this point everyone has caught on to the fact that idols need that to be legit, so it's kinda a crappy tool without it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Although Dom has the paperwork from the real idol so I was thinking it could be really clever if he swapped to the two notes. Put the real idol note with the fake idol for someone to find and really think it was real and then flash the fake note to say "see, I really did just have a fake one."

But that's probably too much, the notes seem to have specific language about the Ghost Island stuff that might not make it work, and Dom seems to have managed to weathered the idol paranoia and bringing it back up would probably just hurt him at this stage. So I'm probably wrong.

Adus posted:

I think in this situation, if I were Laurel I would do something risky, and that's actually use this opportunity to take out Dom or Wendell by using Kellyn's guilt that she very likely has to keep her on my side and vote one of them out. It would be pretty ballsy but if it worked it sure would look good to the jury.

I think the problem is what happens after that? It ends up being Laurel and Donathan vs Kellyn, Chelsea, Sebastian, and Angela. You'd have to be confident that you could flip some of those stragglers, or flip Kellyn against them. But right now if you're Laurel you kind of need Dom and Wendell because the numbers flip without them.

Its why i think the only real play is to try and take out Kellyn next (and she'd have a massive motivation for it to try and sell to Dom and Wendell), and then take out Dom and just hope Wendell works with you against the Navati B Team or that they can't get their poo poo together to hold the numbers. I guess you could take out one more Navati before going for Dom but that's pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They hosed up with the rocks thing for ghost island.

I'm not sure what would be better but there's no sense of strategy.

Still better than random rock YuGiOh on family day last season

• Locked thread