Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 28: Hopefully the Final Frontier...

Littleroot Town

Woah, it's postgame time. Thankfully this is Emerald, so it won't be like two parts long like it would be in RS, there's a lot of stuff to do!

Hey, it's YUKI! It's been a while since I saw you, but you look... stronger, somehow. That's the impression I get. But your old man hasn't given up yet! Oh, yes, I have something for you. This came to you from someone named MR. BRINEY.

If I recall, there are ferry ports in SLATEPORT and LILYCOVE. I'd better get back to PETALBURG GYM. MOM, thanks for looking after the house while I'm away.

He comes home for the first time in a while, but all he talks about is POKEMON. He should relax and stay a little longer.

We bring you this emergency news flash! In various HOENN locales, there have been reports of a BZZT... colored POKEMON in flight. The identity of this POKEMON is currently unknown. We now return you to the regular movie program.

Uh, blue? It's not gonna matter in the slightest.

Don't push yourself too hard, dear. You can always come home. Go for it, honey!

I knew there was something special about you when I first saw you, but I never expected this. Oh, yes. Do you still have the POKEDEX I gave you? I have something to show you. Let's go to my LAB.

Prof. Birch's Lab

Thanks to you help, new facts are coming to light. It appears that in the HOENN region, there are also POKEMON from other regions. It goes to show how rich and varied the natural environments of HOENN happen to be. That's why I think it's necessary for me to upgrade your POKEDEX to the NATIONAL Mode. Here, let me see your POKEDEX units.

It's so cool that even my POKEDEX is getting updated! It's because you went out and caught so many POKEMON, YUKI!

But listen. You've become the CHAMPION, but your POKEMON journey isn't over. There is no end to the road that is POKEMON. Somewhere, there is a grassy patch that's waiting for you!

I think I'll take a short break from fieldwork. I think I'll help the PROF here for a while.

Unlike in RS where you only got the National Dex for trading with another Gen 3 game, or in FRLG where you had to catch 60 fuckin Pokemon, we just get it in Emerald, no question. Before you ask, NO, I will not be completing the National Dex, only the regional Pokedex, but I will be catching any new critters we come across, like in the FRLG updates.

Slateport City

I'm aboard the S.S. TIDAL now. It's feels great to be on the sea! By the way... there's this place that I'd like to invite you to for a visit. If you're interested, board a ferry at either SLATEPORT or LILYCOVE. I'll fill you in on the details when we meet. I'll be waiting!

We couldn't have done it without your friend MR. BRINEY. Please go for a short cruise on it!

While we can easily Fly between Slateport and Lilycove, sure we'll go for a spin. Scott's waiting for us.

S.S. Tidal

Something's come up, so I have to disembark, but am I glad to see you! Congratulations, LEAGUE CHAMPION! There's a place I'd like to invite someone like you. It's the... BATTLE FRONTIER! What's the place like? You'll understand when you see it! I've spoken with the ship's CAPTAIN about this. The next time you take a ferry, you should be able to sail to the BATTLE FRONTIER. Okay, YUKI, I'll be waiting for you at the BATTLE FRONTIER!

We hope you enjoy your voyage with us. Feel free to explore the ship. It'll be some time before we make land, I reckon. You can rest up in your cabin if you'd like. You cabin's No. 2. The bed in there is soft and plushy. I can attest to how comfy it is!

While the Battle Frontier sounds positively riveting, we've got a ship to explore.

(JED!) I feel a little shy about this, but... we'll show you our lovey-dovey power!

Well the postgame battles are off to a, uh, good start.

(LEA) I can't believe it! Our lovey-dovey power failed... you must be an awesome TRAINER!

(JED!) Sigh... It's the first time that our lovey-dovey power couldn't prevail! You must be an awesome TRAINER!

While I remember, our entire party got a ribbon for beating the Champion! There's a fair few ribbons you can get for various tasks around the region, not just from contests, so we'll be sure to get them.

Unlike HGSS, we won't be seeing new and wonderful Pokemon immediately, no standard trainer has any, so it'll be a little while before we see anything crazy.

Perhaps I shall get Father to acquire a yacht for me. A yacht for me and POKEMON!

Guillotine

Your friends are, indeed, strong. Friends need not be human. For me, POKEMON are treasured friends!

It... honestly, I didn't SNATCH it from someone! I'd never do such a thing! It's clean! You can use it!

"used by a foe or ally."

I'll turn a blind eye since you gave me free stuff. But since we got all the good TMs already, any postgame TMs we find won't be all that great.

You can call me CAPTAIN BRINEY now! You know, I retired once before, but when I saw this majestic ship... let me just say, it stirred my sleeping soul as a sailor!

We can look out of the portholes and see the ship travel along the various routes, but we don't have time to just hang around!

To be never ruffled in any situation is the GENTLEMAN's code of conduct.

"Or would you rather battle?"

I see. You're the active sort. A world cruiser on a luxury liner has its charms, I must say... but, I will admit there is an appealing side to touring HOENN by ferry.

why

I get so excited imagining what kinds of POKEMON I'll get to see in the next CONTEST. The anticipation of it thrills!

Oh hey there's trainers down in the hold. Or whatever it's called, ship terms!

We're the CLEANUP BROTHERS! The old one dumps the detergent, and the young one does the scrubbing!

"It'll be alright for a POKEMON battle.

Big bro, I lost! We're the CLEANUP BROTHERS! The old one dumps the detergent, and the young one does the scrubbing!

That's everything. Unlike the S.S. Aqua, the S.S. Tidal doesn't have different trainers if you go on the other journey.

It's Battle Frontier time, baby!

Battle Frontier

The Battle Frontier: The front lines of Pokemon battling!

For a first-time visitor, we issue the FRONTIER PASS. It's for use at all the facilities in the BATTLE FRONTIER. Here you are!

We hope you enjoy all that the BATTLE FRONTIER has to offer!

I hope you'll take your time and explore everywhere. Naturally, I hope you'll also experience the pure essense of battling. I also have my quarters here, so feel free to visit if you have time.

Unlike the Battle Frontier of Sinnoh and Johto, the Hoenn Battle Frontier is a pretty big place, with lots to it and plenty to explore. Our Trainer Card has now become a Frontier Pass, showing us a map of the island, the 7 symbols to earn here, a battle you opted to record and keep, as well as how many Battle Points we earned for taking part in the various facilities.

Oh yeah, since we beat the Pokemon League, we've got another Trainer Card star, as well as the first record on the back. We've still got plenty to go.

Let's get exploring!

First up is the Battle Factory where you use rented Pokemon to battle.

We'll be going clockwise, so here's a house you really should visit.

I had the reputation as the toughest BEAUTY around, I tell you! What is it now? You don't believe me. I'm not like that blowhard woman over there. I'm actually talented! Let me prove it to you. I can teach your POKEMON special and yet cute moves. But my lessons don't come free. How about paying for the moves I teach with a wee bit of Battle Points?

HOLY poo poo, honest to god useful Move Tutors. Look at all these amazing moves your Pokemon are missing because they're locked to the postgame! Now a few of these moves could be obtained in FRLG for free, but now you've got to pay up and they definitely don't come cheap. You'll be grinding a lot to get some of these really useful moves for Pokemon that just don't fancy learning them otherwise. Such as Rock Slide for Wargreymon.

I had a reputation as the most invincible SWIMMER around, I tell you! What's wrong? You don't believe me. I'm not like that buffoonish woman over there. I'm actually experienced! I can prove it to you. I can teach your POKEMON hard and yet pretty moves. But my lessons don't come free. How about paying for the moves I teach with a wee bit of Battle Points?

Even more moves, including the amazing elemental punches, to actually give your lovely Pokemon some coverage! Such as Ice Punch for Wargreymon. Okay maybe that's a bad example, but you just got a LOT of options.

Next up is the Battle Dome, where you fight in a 16 trainer 4 round tournament.

Anyways, YUKI, let me formally welcome you to the BATTLE FRONTIER. This is my dream come true. It took me years and years, but I've finally given shape to my dream. On reflection, it was a terribly long journey... I left home alone on a quest to find strong TRAINERS. No one can imagine how much effort or time it took to make this real. But that's all in the past. No point dwelling on that! All I want for you is to enjoy battling to your heart's content here. YUKI, I want you to have this as a memento for all the time our paths crossed on our journeys.

You get 1, 2 or 3BP depending on how many times we talked to Scott on our journey. Of course, we saw him everywhere we could.

"Points you will collect."

Use your Battle Points the way you see fit, like trading them for items. I'm expecting great things from you!

We'll head into that house in a moment, but first, the Battle Tower. Fight for streaks in 3v3 battles. Simple.

Eheheh, here's a real easy glitch for you to exploit. In RS, there was only a Battle Tower in this area for Single battles, but Emerald added Double and Multi battles, so you could fight with an AI, or a friend. However, due to having to save lots of data as well as checking for connections, even if you say No to saving the game before starting this mode, it'll only save what you have in the Party and what's in your Bag. Meaning, like with Gen 1 and 2, you can turn the game off at the right moment and have a Pokemon in your PC and Party at the same time, letting you clone Pokemon and items! Of course I will be abusing this, so should you.

It's quite cute and rather nice. This little one, I could trade with pride! Would you like to trade me a SKITTY for my MEOWTH?

This, uh, this did not age well.

Oh! I hope you'll be good to my MEOWTH, too! Giggle! A SKITTY is so much cuter than I had imagined. I'm delighted!

While three out of four trades in this game had Mail attached, at least we got a cool new Pokemon. Sure, Meowth are easily found in FireRed, but this is more fun, even though you need a 2% encounter for it. Oh yeah, I won't be evolving any new Pokemon we find in the postgame if they're not part of the Hoenn Dex.

We exchange the Battle Points you have collected for lovely prizes. Please choose a prize from this list.

Here's what you'll be spending most of your Battle Points on because HOLY poo poo, not only are there exclusive decorations available, but also some real important items you won't find anywhere else. And yes they are ridiculously expensive compared to future titles. You will be doing so much grinding it is pretty drat silly. Seriously, 256BP for a large doll? I'll take ten!

This is where we recognize the immortal TRAINERS who left great records in BATTLE FRONTIER events.

When you win any kind of battle it'll show up here against those who you've mixed records with.

The Battle Pyramid, where you climb a dark maze for fun and profit.

Can't you see we're kind of busy here? Can't your business wait till later?

Hmm, maybe we'll find out later.

This is the Battle Palace, where you roll a four sided die and slowly want to die.

This one says it likes to battle! It will battle even if it has a lot of ouchies!

Uh, okay? I hope you know what that means, it'll be VERY important later.

The Battle Arena is where you fight battles within 3 turns and get judged on multiple things.

Here in the center of the Frontier is a Mart and Center, as well as a few houses.

You can buy EV drinks with BP or cash, whichever you have more of.

"the legendary top POKEMON BREEDER!"

If you ever become as seasoned as me, you'll see the abilities of POKEMON at a glance. You're a TRAINER. Doesn't it interest you to know your own POKEMON's abilities? Here! Let me have a look at your POKEMON!

This one, overall, I would desribe as being of average ability. Incidentally, the best aspect of it, I would say, is its SPECIAL DEFENSE... that stat is outstanding! Hm... that's how I call it.

Starting in this game, IV Judges appear, so you actually know what the hell your Pokemon can do without looking at save editors. Though you should still do that anyway... He first sums up your total IV amount, from average, 0-90, to eventually outstanding, 151-186. Then he talks about the highest IV of a Pokemon, from good, 0-15, to perfection, 31. Seems Wargreymon's Sp.Def IV was between 26-30, but I already knew that.

Last facility is the Battle Pike, where you choose between one of three rooms to go to and watch your party get frozen.

Now there's a weird tree down here. I dunno about you, but I know exactly what to do about weird trees.

Hey, it's our first proper National mon to catch. Between FRLG and Emerald, there's a lot of missing Johto Pokemon to find, so hopefully we can get all of them, otherwise we'd have to result to using other, weirder, games.

Easy enough. Don't need it for anything, no Bonsly yet, despite what multiple Gen 3 media will try and tell you otherwise.

What's down here?

I wonder what's in a cave like this.

Another Johto mon! Smeargle isn't particularly interesting, but with Sketch, it lets it be a great catching or breeding mon!

Alright, let's get some booty.

There's not much here aside from Smeargle and hidden energy drinks.

And there we go. That's all of them.

Bar one.

With that, we've explored the entire island. Now I know what you're thinking and you're right, completing this Battle Frontier sounds like it'll be miserable. I agree, Gamefreak are really bad at making battle facilities and the gimmicks in this one are just awful. I, too, was very glad when this place didn't appear in the remakes, cause we don't want GF wasting time and money making some lovely grindfest that takes hours to complete if no one's gonna bother participating in that lovely grindfest. Least complaining on the internet about missing out on that lovely grindfest is easy enough when you never bothered playing it beforehand cause it was "too hard" or "too boring" or other such excuses.

So yeah, off we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Alright boys and girls, it's what you've been looking forward to all LP, submitting Pokemon to use in the Hoenn Battle Frontier! Now it'll be pretty similar to submitting for the Gen 4 Battle Frontier, though so we're not submitting 36 Pokemon over 6 facilities, your Pokemon will be performing double duty in two facilities! This also means that, aside from the Factory, there's only 3 Frontier updates, which works a lot better, since Emerald's postgame is not that long.

So feel free to submit any Pokemon you fancy, though of course, only serious submissions will be accepted for the second set of battles. Also Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Jirachi and Deoxys can't be entered, so don't bother. Anything else is fair game, so come up with anything you want in this format:

Pokemon (Nickname) @Item @Gender
EV Spread (252/252/4 or something specific)
Ability and Nature (Shiny?)
Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4

:siren: Then mention which facility you're submitting it for, as well as if it's for Set 1 (whatever) or Set 2 (serious)! :siren: Your choices are:

Battle Dome + Battle Tower or
Battle Pyramid + Battle Pike or
Battle Arena.

I'll be using my own handpicked team for the Battle Palace, because gently caress that garbage place with a fiery passion. Don't feel like you're missing out if you submit for the Arena, you'll be used for something else later down the line.

I'll assume IVs are 31 straight unless you're wanting a particular Hidden Power, or other crazy strategy. Looking forward to the 18 different submissions we get!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 4, 2018

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Gengar (Lurker) @Lum Berry
252 Sp Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Levitate, Hasty (Female, not shiny)
Ice Punch
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Shadow Ball

Battle Dome + Battle Tower, Set 2

Jade Rider fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 4, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Porygon2 (Grafix) @Leftovers
255 SpA 255 Speed 4 HP
Trace, Modest (not shiny)
Hyper Beam
Tri Attack
Recover
Substitute

Battle Pyramid + Battle Pike

Kikas fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 4, 2018

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Gotta go with my own frontier aces.

Metagross (PainTrain) @Leftovers
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Adamant, Clear Body
Earthquake
Meteor Mash
Brick Break
Shadow Ball

Battle Pyramid + Battle Dome, Set 1

Starmie (DeathStar) @Brightpowder
252 Sp Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Timid, Natural Cure
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Battle Pike + Battle Tower, Set 2

I always found sweepers were the best bet in the frontier since dunking the opponent quick made it easier to avoid the RNG bullshit that inevitably crops up if you win too much.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Only one Pokemon will be chosen, unless we get less than 15 people submitting. Also please state which EV stats you'll be using as well as which set you'll be entering, or I'll just overlook it, Kikas!

Also if you don't mention if you want a Pokemon as shiny, I'll just coin flip on whether it is.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Seviper (Excalibur) @ Choice Band
Adamant (Shiny, sure)
Sludge Bomb
Iron Tail
HP Ghost
Earthquake

EV spread 252/252/4 ATK/SPEED/HP
IV spread 31/31/30/31/31/30
Hmmmm let's have him be a guy.

Team 1 2, and Battle Pyramid + Pike feels appropriate.

Seviper's special set is probably a little better than its physical set but having no STAB seems against the spirit of the thing. It probably wouldn't make the cut for team 2, but by god Seviper is gonna have its day in the sun! actually gently caress that, team 2 uber alles

Leraika fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 4, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

On one hand, I genuinely appreciate the effort they went to making such a large area for this. And so many different battle types! Truly, commendable.
It's probably not a coincidence that gen 4's battle frontier was much more compact. I suspect the remakes' opting for placing the Maison on a new "Battle Resort" area rather than just RS's dinky battle tower island was to reference the size of Emerald's frontier. It's quite packed, all things considered.

But also the emerald battle frontier is the worst of all battle facilities. I cannot wait for you to go into deeper detail and we start seeing payouts because oh my god what were they thinking?!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Slaking (DonkeyKong) @Choice Band
EV Spread: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPE
Ability: Huge Power Truant :(
Nature: Adamant
Shiny?: Yes
Moveset:
-Hyper Beam
-Brick Break
-Shadow Ball
-Earthquake

Battle Arena: Set 1

Salamence (Shenron) @Choice Band
IV Spread: 31/31/31/30/30/30 (Hidden Power Flying)
Ability: Moxie Intimidate :v:
Nature: Jolly
Moveset:
-Hidden Power Flying
-Brick Break
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

Battle Arena: Set 2

Hit em hard and fast.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 4, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah poo poo I knew I forgot something, GENDERS!

This will matter, since the AI loves using Attract, so will you get the 50/50 of being the right one???

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Zangoose (The CLAAAW), Liechi Berry, Female
252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Immunity, Jolly, non-shiny
Swords Dance
Return
HP Ground
Shadow Ball

Pyramid and Pike Set 1

Because what better Pokemon to scream gently caress THE PIKE?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Tropius (Bananagher) @Brightpowder @Male
IV Spread: 31 HP/30 Atk/31 Def/30 SpAtk/31 SpDef/30 Spd (for Fire Hidden Power)
EV Spread: 252 SpAtk/252 HP/4 Spd
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Modest
Moveset:
-Sunny Day
-Solarbeam
-Hidden Power
-Synthesis

Dome/Tower set 1

This would absolutely benefit from certain items that don't exist yet.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 4, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While this isn't as fun as the Poliwrath I submitted back during Crystal, this is Emerald, so I must go with my favourite.

Blaziken (CapFalcon) @Blazikenite Salac Berry
EV Spread: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD
Ability: I wish Speed Boost but this is Gen 3, so Blaze
Shiny: No
-Overheat
-Sky Uppercut
-Rock Slide
-Swords Dance

Battle Dome + Battle Tower, set 2. May not be as strong as in Gen VI or VII but this should do nicely.

Buried Treasure
Oct 23, 2008
We need:

Regice @Chesto Berry Genderless
252 HP, 252 SP.A
Calm Nature (Sp.Def Up, ATK Down)
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Toxic
Rest

Dome/Tower, Set 2.

Honestly, I like the frontier. I just wish that failing wasn't so harsh. I feel like if it didn't send you all the way back and just made you retry that wave of 7 again, it'd be a lot more enjoyable.

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Sure, lets toss something out there.

Porygon2 (Space Duck) @Starf Berry @Genderless
252 HP / 200 Atk / 56 Def
Ability: Trace
Nature: Sassy
Shiny?: No
Shadow Ball
Return
Recycle
Recover

Set 1 of Pyramid+Pike.

Starf+Recover+Recycle is fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Flygon(male) - Flyboy
Hold: bright powder
Body slam
Earthquake
Iron tail
Attract

Either pike+pyramid set

And of course he's shiny being a too cool for school flying ace and all.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 4, 2018

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Swampert (S.Nobunaga) @Leftovers @Male
EV Spread (252 HP/216 Def/40 SpA)
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Relaxed
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Surf
Protect

Set 1 for Dome/Tower.

His ambition reaches to even the post-game :v:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Dr. Fetus posted:

Slaking (DonkeyKong) @Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power Truant :(
Moveset:
-Hyper Beam
-Brick Break
-Shadow Ball
-Earthquake

Battle Arena: Set 1

I was going to suggest a guy very similar to this, the Battle Frontier deserves absolutely no mercy. No such thing as overkill here. But since Dr Fetus already has that covered, let's try something else.

For the Battle Pyramid and Battle Pike, how about a healer to absorb status and patch up the rest of your team?

Joy the Blissey (@no held item because Pyramid, otherwise Leftovers)
Nature: Bold
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SpD
Seismic Toss, Toxic, Minimise, Softboiled

I've had some fun with this one in the Tower, too, although it's more of a gimmick than anything else and admittedly I've found it backfires as often as it works (maybe you'll be better at prediction than me). Might be fun to play with if you feel like it.

RNGesus the Shedinja (@Focus Band)
Nature: Adamant/Naughty/Lonely
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Speed
Shadow Ball, Silver Wind, Swords Dance, Protect

Edit: In case it wasn't clear, Joy is my serious submission if you only pick one. The Shedinja set is just for fun if you want to mess around with some offbeat/silly gimmick pokemon.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 4, 2018

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Vaporeon (ElmerFludd) @Leftovers @Male
252 HP/252 Sp.A./4 Def
Water Absorb, Modest (Not shiny)
Surf
Ice Beam
Wish
Acid Armor
Pyramid/Pike, set 1

I've only ever played one Pokemon game, so I'm mostly guessing at what makes a good moveset for this type of thing.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Only one Pokemon will be chosen, unless we get less than 15 people submitting. Also please state which EV stats you'll be using as well as which set you'll be entering, or I'll just overlook it, Kikas!

Also if you don't mention if you want a Pokemon as shiny, I'll just coin flip on whether it is.

Okay, decided on one and fixed the EV spreads, I shouldn't post right before going to bed :v:

Porygon2 (Grafix) @Leftovers
255 SpA 255 Speed 4 HP
Trace, Modest (not shiny)
Hyper Beam
Tri Attack
Recover
Substitute

Battle Pyramid + Battle Pike. Set 2.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Salamence (DeathDraggy) @ Leftovers @Male
4 HP 252 Atk 252 Speed
Adamant
IVs: 30 HP 30 Atk 30 Def 30 SpA 30 SpD
Dragon Dance
Hidden Power (Flying)
Earthquake
Rock Slide

Battle Pyramid + Battle Pike, Set 2

Salamence every facility, hasn't failed me in Emerald before.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It sure is cool that GameFreak lovingly recreated the Battle Frontier in ORAS, fixed all of the terrible facilities, and improved on content that they made three generations ago instead of half-assing it, porting something from a bland region to take its place instead, and tacking on an amnesia plotline that goes nowhere.

:smithicide:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Pokemon Adventures: Norman

Strap yourselves in folks, we're about to go on a trip.

Norman is, much like in the games, a new arrival from the region of Johto who is taking the position as the Petalburg Gymleader and is Ruby's father. Treating training and self-improvement as near Dogma, his brutal training, and personality are viewed through the scope of Ruby's abject terror towards his father. Completely unaccepting of his son's desire to keep away from battling and pursuing contests (At least, we're lead to believe this) Norman is an overarching shadow on Ruby's journey, something he is eventually going to have to face, the father who has vowed to hunt him down for running away from home.

Also, dude crushes phones with his bare hand. He's nothing to gently caress with.

It's also worth noting how different he is to his game counterpart, he refuses to help Wally catch a pokemon due to his illness, he seems to look down upon those who are weak in stature and will and it's Ruby lending Wally his Ralts that gets the young boy started on his journey... Well that and Ruby falling off a cliff before being able to retrieve Ralts.

From there he hunts down his son like a terminator, leaping into the ocean to test water currents, pushing his way past reporters to look at camera feeds he doesn't have permission to view, the entire time he is a constant looming threat over Ruby's head, a pursuer that we've every reason to believe is the only one who can take him down.

And he does, at the weather institute. He uses pokeblocks to lure Ruby's pokemon in and... well...

Norman beats the everloving poo poo out of Ruby, he is as brutal to his son as he'd been built up to be, having no qualms physically beating him

Or have his slacking swing a staircase it ripped from the ground with him on it.

Ruby realizes he has to fight his father, but all of his team learned to battle from attacks that Norman taught Ruby how to use, the source of Ruby's intense battle skill is clearly Norman's teachings and this is a case where the student cannot beat the master with the masters own tools.

Ruby relies on his Marshstomp a pokemon that Norman has never seen him use in battle and who he himself initially wrote off (Due to not being beautiful)

Ruby notes that everything from the weather to the terrain is in his favor and he bloody well needs it because even with all this one false move spells his end.

So Norman has Slacking smack Ruby with a staircase again.

Their fight (Where Ruby tries to shoot his father with the mudshot pipe) is interrupted by Castform and then the weather institute collapsing beneath them... And then we get the kicker.

Ruby, who in his narcissistic arrogance assumed his father would never accept him and his desires has in fact been the cause of all this worry as he refused to contact anyone and refused to listen when his father had planned to use his birthday and the move as a chance to tell Ruby he accepted him an wanted him to pursue his own dreams. In the end, as strained and violent as their relationship is, Norman loves his son.

Norman tries desperately to save his son from a fall that will literally kill both of them if he doesn't let Ruby go, barely surviving due to Ruby's Running Shoes (That Norman gave him as a birthday gift, of course) Norman seems ready to continue the pursuit until Winona pops onto the scene and Norman tells Ruby what he intended to tell him all this time.

"Succeed, because a man always does what he sets out to do. Also, call your mother."

But why, why does Norman have such a rage towards his son? Why does Ruby hate him so much? What is it that drove them apart. It all started 5 years ago, 5 years ago Ruby defended himself when a Salamence attacked him, but since he didn't finish the Salamence off, it went rampaging and destroyed a facility, ruining years of research. Norman recognized the Salamence's damage as being caused by Ruby and wanting to spare his son any punishment, took the blame. It caused him to fail his gym leader exam, and he was punished to be forced to find Rayquaza. What's worse is that from that incident onwards, Ruby refused to train as a battler anymore, even as Norman basically crucified himself to protect his son, in turn, his son turned from him and acted as if he were a monster. Their relationship strained, as mentioned in the previous update, because Norman loved his son too much to see him suffer, and took actions to keep him safe, but in doing so, he was in turn hurt, and it backfired on him monumentally.

Eventually, he turns up with Wally, who has grown into a strong trainer, having raised a team of Green pokemon (And gotten Treeko) as Norman is glad he kept tabs on him. You see, they've come to the Sky Pillar and Norman's goal lies atop there. He trains Wally the entire time, leading him to the top, and using the thinner air to help train and develop the sick boy's lungs. In tandem, they opened the path to Rayquaza and Wally realizes that his participation in all of this was actually intended for Ruby. The battle between Groudon and Kyogre had pretty much totaled Hoenn at this point and Norman takes Rayquaza to put an end to it.

Arriving at Sootopolis, he and Ruby team up one last time to use the Red and Blue Orb, along with Rayquaza to silence the Titans and put the calamity to an end... and that's when Norman dies. Rayquaza didn't have an Orb to control it, and 5 years ago, the event that lead to the facilities destruction was an attempt to create a Green Orb. Without that, controlling Rayquaza through will and guts, the toll it exerted on Norman is too much and he dies in his son's arms. Ruby is left screaming, asking why his father took the blame for him, why he'd endured punishment and humiliation for his sake, why after everything he'd died for him. And the answer, as Courtney left for him, was the same reason he'd protected his loved ones. You do things for the ones you love, things that cause you great pain. He never told Ruby, so that Ruby could continue to grow and develop on his own, not burdened by the knowledge that his fathers suffering was his fault.

Norman would then have his body immolated by Maxie's houndoom to rub it in Ruby's face how much he'd suffered and lost by being pigheaded and stupid. Though in the end, his own actions at the end of the arc would reverse what had occurred.

That all said, in the ORAS storyline, Father and Son would actually team up to find Rayquaza, and actually have a pretty good relationship.

So, at the end of it all, from his highs to his lows, is Norman a good father? It's hard to say, clearly hitting his son and fighting him so violently isn't exactly earning him father of the year. But it's clear his use of force comes in response to Ruby's stubborn, vain, narcissistic attitude. As well as the feeling of being disrespected, which was entirely intentional. He clearly loves his son, and has suffered greatly for him, but that doesn't excuse him. In the end, he's flawed, and that's why he's so likable.

Next time, we're going to be talking about Wally, The third protagonist who never was because they decided to give us Emerald the Bastards.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Holy poo poo. Who is writing Pokemon Special, and can they please get some therapy? I know that series tends to be darker than the games, but it sounds like the RS arc goes way too far.

Beating the poo poo out of your son and telling him you're doing it because you love him is practically a cliche of child abuse. And apparently it's all because of the thing with the Salamence, which honestly sounds like a gaping plot hope. Ruby almost defeated the Salamence, which is impressive, but no one else was able to stop it? If this had happened before the move, Ruby was still a child and barely a Trainer at all. Why would Norman even need to take the blame? Shouldn't they be glad a child was able to defend themselves against a rampaging dragon?

Reading that post has left me feeling sick.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Solumin posted:

Holy poo poo. Who is writing Pokemon Special, and can they please get some therapy? I know that series tends to be darker than the games, but it sounds like the RS arc goes way too far.

Beating the poo poo out of your son and telling him you're doing it because you love him is practically a cliche of child abuse. And apparently it's all because of the thing with the Salamence, which honestly sounds like a gaping plot hope. Ruby almost defeated the Salamence, which is impressive, but no one else was able to stop it? If this had happened before the move, Ruby was still a child and barely a Trainer at all. Why would Norman even need to take the blame? Shouldn't they be glad a child was able to defend themselves against a rampaging dragon?

Reading that post has left me feeling sick.

You're gonna love the next arc Gen VI as a whole.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kikas posted:

You're gonna love the next arc Gen VI as a whole.

Fantastic.

And I know they were going for some kind of bookending with destroying Weather Institute in the second fight, but that opens up a whole new set of problems. Were there any consequences for Norman destroying the Institute? Or is it ok when a gym leader does it, and you only blame people when a Pokemon does it?

Or maybe the first time, everyone was going to blame the Pokemon, but Norman insisted it was his fault. He made it a whole big deal and then failed the exam when everyone else was just trying to move on.

Or have I already put more thought into it than the author did? :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Norman is crazy as all hell, my dude.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solumin posted:

Or maybe the first time, everyone was going to blame the Pokemon, but Norman insisted it was his fault. He made it a whole big deal and then failed the exam when everyone else was just trying to move on.

For all they knew, Salamence would've never attacked the institute if Ruby hadn't fought it, since it was, as far as they (and the writers) knew, a wild Pokemon. Thus, it was Ruby carelessly handling the situation that caused irreparable damage. Norman did what a father should and took responsibility for his son breaking things, but the whole event was highly traumatic for everyone involved: Ruby, Sapphire and Norman all show scars (in Ruby's case, literally) of those events and they lead them to their personalities and actions in the present day.

It's easy to decry LOL EDGY but honestly, why not read it? There's a reason why people like the RS arc, ending aside.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I should point out I'm purposefully leaving off details for later write ups. So I didn't give the whole story.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yeah, fair enough.

Personally I'm not a fan of darker stories anyway. But this sounds pretty stupid.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Jeeze, seemed like Norman went to the Heihachi Mishima school of parenting.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Solumin posted:

Yeah, fair enough.

Personally I'm not a fan of darker stories anyway. But this sounds pretty stupid.

RS Arc is very stupid, yes

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I have read to somewhere in the middle of the Diamond and Pearl arc but I never got around to actually finishing it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I actually like the manga's take on the Galactic Commanders.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The way Norman is presented is almost comical with all the stuff he ends up doing, then he's just an abusive piece of poo poo towards Ruby. But then Ruby is a dick towards Sapphire nearly all the time and that gets super tiring, so I dunno, guess they're definitely father and son.

Alright, I've been getting the submissions down and, firstly, congrats to Dr. Fetus for being the only person to submit to the Battle Arena! It's fine, I've moved various submissions around and they are as follows:

Battle Tower + Dome: Tropius by AweStriker and Metagross by ObliqueAngle (Set 1) and Genger by Jade Rider, Blaziken by Blaze Dragon and Regice by Buried Treasure (Set 2).

Battle Pike + Pyramid: Zangoose by Level Seven, Vaporeon by ajkalan and Flygon by FoolyCharged (Set 1) and Seviper by Leraika and Porygon2 by Kikas (Set 2).

Battle Arena: Slaking by Dr. Fetus and Shedinja by Explopyro (Set 1) and Salamence by Eeepies (Set 2).

So, we have 1 slot for Battle Tower + Dome Set 1, 1 slot for Battle Pike + Pyramid Set 2, 1 slot for Battle Arena Set 1 and 2 slots for Battle Arena Set 2, we're nearly done!

I mainly moved mons around so we had a range of movesets in each set, as well as no identical items and only one submission per person. For Toyotasomi no Miko, we already had a Porygon2 submission, sorry, and for BlackPersona, we already used Swampert in the LP. Feel free to submit something else. I think that's everyone so far. Oh yeah, Regice needs a nickname, Buried Treasure.

Cheers for what we've got so far, I'm liking it a lot!

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
...Okay, maybe I should have looked at the other submissions better. That's what I get for being tired yesterday when I posted that set. :V Let's try something else, then.

Registeel (Emerl) @Leftovers @Genderless
IVs: 31 in all but Special Defense, which has 30.
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 SpAtk, 4 HP
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Serious
Thunderbolt
Ice Punch
Hidden Power (Steel)
Brick Break

Slap 'im into Arena Set 1. Basically mixed set. Covers everything but Shedinja, which is a shame because it's either Sheddy coverage or HP Steel STAB. Poor Regi doesn't get any steel moves besides Metal Claw. 75 Offenses is meh, but it'll work with investment covering.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I was going to give you a dragonite but man the movepool was not synched up with its stats at all huh

instead have another defensive wall
Tess the Foretress (Female) @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/252 Special Defense / 4 Attack
Nature: Careful
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Leftovers Chesto Berry
Spikes
Toxic
Earthquake
Rest

Pike + Pyramid Set 2, since longevity seems useful there. I can't remember if Pyramid nullifies initial held items, but that's fine since Rest can take advantage of any Lum berries you find.

also i was genuinely going to give you a pokemon with Run Away but

quote:

The Ability Run Away does not guarantee escape here, but will be credited if the player does successfully escape with a Pokémon with the Ability.
the games are allergic to making Run Away ever useful in any circumstances

rannum fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 4, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah shoot, I should've mentioned Item Clause. We're out of Leftovers space for the remaining sets. The Registeel is fine, but we're out of spaces for anymore submissions with Leftovers.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Ah shoot, I should've mentioned Item Clause. We're out of Leftovers space for the remaining sets. The Registeel is fine, but we're out of spaces for anymore submissions with Leftovers.

Ah, swap it with the Chesto Berry then. The only other chesto was for a different facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Fyi, that Shedinja set is probably going to fail horribly in the Arena, especially if you leave Protect on it (Protect is expliicitly penalised but setup in general is a bad strategy there). Maybe swap Protect out for Aerial Ace, or even Agility.

Of course, if you mainly wanted to show off the quirks of the scoring system, by all means use my submission to do it :)

• Locked thread