Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

maia outstruck him with one eye in the fifth i thought?

yeah, it turns out breakdancing and yelling 'playboy' in portugese is really tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anderson was really good but the division was also really bad.
He was also on the juice.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Anderson made sure there was never another Abu Dhabi card and for that we should be eternally grateful

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Anderson was really good but the division was also really bad.
He was also on the juice.

These are very good attributes for being champion along with taking penis medication see also Jones, Jon

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I'm a casual MMA fan and I have to ask: has it always been a thing that someone will be incredibly dominant, and then become a near non-entity after a single significant loss? Rousey (special case I guess, she went especially insane after taking her first L), Joanna Gatekeeper, Aldo, I sort of want to include Anderson but he did get his shin turned into two pieces and also was revealed to have been cheating for perhaps a decade.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Wamsutta posted:

I'm a casual MMA fan and I have to ask: has it always been a thing that someone will be incredibly dominant, and then become a near non-entity after a single significant loss? Rousey (special case I guess, she went especially insane after taking her first L), Joanna Gatekeeper, Aldo, I sort of want to include Anderson but he did get his shin turned into two pieces and also was revealed to have been cheating for perhaps a decade.

Ronda is a special (head) case. Joanna seems to have met the rock to her scissors in Rose. Aldo only recently started looking beatable after a near decade of dominance. Anderson got old and met USADA, his toughest opponent to date.

I've seen guys rebound from devastating losses early on in their careers to find success later. RDA's first big accomplishment was being one of the best parts on Jeremy Stephens's highlight reel.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Fair enough. With Aldo it kind of feels like Conor made him irrelevant with the 13 second KO.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lid posted:

Anderson made sure there was never another Abu Dhabi card and for that we should be eternally grateful

The fight night with Nelson vs Big Nog

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah out of the people you listed:

Aldo: has gotten housed by Max and outside of that dominated Frankie

Joanna: beaten just by Rose and we don’t know what 3 round Joanna will bring

Ronda: lol

Andy: as said, USADA

So it’s not really a consistent thing and only Andy has a complete post-championship picture.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

The fight night with Nelson vs Big Nog

I feel safe in not remembering this ever happaned.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

There are also cases like Anthony Pettis where a guy rises to the top only to have a hard fall down while discovering many in their division have figured out how to beat them.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris Weidman is a guy that (as sad as it makes me to say it being that I'm a fan) seemed to fall apart after his first loss after looking unbeatable for a bit.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Weidman hasn't lost to anyone who wouldn't beat the vast majority of the division since he beat the consensus GOAT. He peaked so extremely high that I think his recent record looks worse than it actually is.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

El Roncho posted:

Weidman hasn't lost to anyone who wouldn't beat the vast majority of the division since he beat the consensus GOAT. He peaked so extremely high that I think his recent record looks worse than it actually is.

Fair enough. Still tough to watch him lose three times in a row though. Hopefully he's back on the upswing now.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

Fair enough. With Aldo it kind of feels like Conor made him irrelevant with the 13 second KO.

He had 3 title fights after that loss how in the world does that make him irrelevant?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Fair enough. Still tough to watch him lose three times in a row though. Hopefully he's back on the upswing now.

I think the IV ban hit him harder than some of his peers. IIRC, he's one of the people that took a nosedive when that happened.

He still big brothered the gently caress out of Kelvin, and Gastelum schools most middleweights.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

tesilential posted:

Maybe she’ll display more power like a lot of the LW and WW guys who moved up. Weight divisions are overrated, lots of people in one weight class are bigger than guys fighting in the next weight class up. The strongest girl at 125 is Valentina, whom she’s competed against just fine. The top 5 at 115 is better and would beat the top 5 at 125 right now, Valentina aside

is losing all 3 fights to a person "competing just fine" ?

asking for a friend

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It would depend how close the 3 fights were

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anderson was also already extremely old by the time his streak ended. He was 38 and in almost his 40th pro fight.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

maia outstruck him with one eye in the fifth i thought?

You're thinking of tyron woodley

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

You're thinking of tyron woodley

gently caress you dude dont ever accuse me of that

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

lmao even better

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 3, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

"the crying jew" really

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah it was okay if not particularly great and then it just went off a cliff at the end there.

No I'm not talking about Ronda's striking.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Cool racist pictures from mma underground or whatever

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Roncho posted:

Ronda is a special (head) case. Joanna seems to have met the rock to her scissors in Rose. Aldo only recently started looking beatable after a near decade of dominance. Anderson got old and met USADA, his toughest opponent to date.

I've seen guys rebound from devastating losses early on in their careers to find success later. RDA's first big accomplishment was being one of the best parts on Jeremy Stephens's highlight reel.

Yeah, Aldo losing to Max is really a testament to how loving good Max is, because Aldo looked about as good as he's ever looked against him, both times. He still had that insane twitch hand speed. Max is just really loving good, and well rounded, and tough, and calm under pressure.

RDA lost his first two UFC fights, including a fight where he looked like poo poo on the feet against Tyson loving Griffin. In a later fight, he managed to get his jaw broken by clay guida, and tap out to pressure on it in a fight he was otherwise winning.
RDA has been a surprising and delightful guy to suddenly become among the very best in the division. I mean, he was a punchline for a good chunk of his UFC run, and then he just starts loving starching people. I've been a fan since the Rob Emerson fight so it's been awesome.

DeimosRising posted:

Anderson was also already extremely old by the time his streak ended. He was 38 and in almost his 40th pro fight.

He was kind of old when his streak began, too. Andy's a weird dude who throws off lots of averages about age in MMA, especially since his style was so reflex and timing based.

Matt Lindland posted:

Cool racist pictures from mma underground or whatever

Matt Lindland is absolutely correct. The gently caress is this poo poo?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
mma according to Dana whites favourite messageboard

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

El Roncho posted:

There are also cases like Anthony Pettis where a guy rises to the top only to have a hard fall down while discovering many in their division have figured out how to beat them.

There's a parallel with NFL quarterbacks. There are guys that do great until there is film on them.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Aldo looking as good against Max as he ever did is kind of fake news. He did for a while but fell off hard. We haven't seen Aldo slow down like that (because he used to be on EPO and isn't anymore)

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LobsterMobster posted:

is losing all 3 fights to a person "competing just fine" ?

asking for a friend

Competing doesn’t mean winning. Have you ever done a sport? Valentina didn’t smoke her in 2 rounds or anything.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gay Horney posted:

Aldo looking as good against Max as he ever did is kind of fake news. He did for a while but fell off hard. We haven't seen Aldo slow down like that (because he used to be on EPO and isn't anymore)

He fell off because Max punched him alot. In fact, i'd go so far as to say he completely fell off before the fourth and fifth rounds because Max had knocked him unconscious by then.

Because Max is very good.

In his only fight that wasn't against Max post USADA, against Edgar, he did better in the fifth round than in earlier ones.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, Aldo losing to Max is really a testament to how loving good Max is, because Aldo looked about as good as he's ever looked against him, both times. He still had that insane twitch hand speed. Max is just really loving good, and well rounded, and tough, and calm under pressure.

Max is amazing, and I don’t think I’ve had an MMA crush in years like the one I have on him. Max has got to be one of the most relentless fighters to ever step into the Octagon. He never flinches, and he never fades. He hits his stride, and it’s non-stop pressure until his opponent is dead.

Max is really cool.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Max is amazing, and I don’t think I’ve had an MMA crush in years like the one I have on him. Max has got to be one of the most relentless fighters to ever step into the Octagon. He never flinches, and he never fades. He hits his stride, and it’s non-stop pressure until his opponent is dead.

Max is really cool.

I mean, it's one thing to be able to take a punch. Lots of guys can do that. It's something else when you realise that even when Max gets loving cracked hard, he's completely lucid, still thinking and adjusting his gameplan. I wish he'd been the one to actually dethrone Aldo.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I might be misremembering, but at the time I thought that the latest Aldo vs. Edgar was just a masterclass by Aldo. Max is really good I guess.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tsyni posted:

I might be misremembering, but at the time I thought that the latest Aldo vs. Edgar was just a masterclass by Aldo. Max is really good I guess.

It was

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I was watching one of the Edgar vs. Maynard fights and at one point Maynard threw a volley of punches to no effect until he exited the pocket with an uppercut that dropped Frankie. I think uppercuts are his kryptonite.It was just weird that it was almost the same uppercut that Ortega put him out with.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Aldo looked amazing in his most recent Edgar fight, but I seem to remember thinking he looked like he was juiced to the gills. And didn't look that way against max. He should just go up to 155.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gay Horney posted:

Shut up you stupid bitch, lol.

Untrustable posted:

I was watching one of the Edgar vs. Maynard fights and at one point Maynard threw a volley of punches to no effect until he exited the pocket with an uppercut that dropped Frankie. I think uppercuts are his kryptonite.It was just weird that it was almost the same uppercut that Ortega put him out with.

Maynard used the uppercut to great effect in both fights. Frankie keeps his hands wide and his chin up.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Guy who struggles to maintain pace unless he's in control of the fight loses twice to a guy who dominates the pace of a fight...

"Yeah, uh, this guy was on EPO."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Southpaugh posted:

Aldo looked amazing in his most recent Edgar fight, but I seem to remember thinking he looked like he was juiced to the gills. And didn't look that way against max. He should just go up to 155.

Remind me, was it Aldo who responded to the IV ban with,"Well I'm just gonna do it anyway and they won't know I did it!" and he said this at a press conference?

• Locked thread