Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Remind me, was it Aldo who responded to the IV ban with,"Well I'm just gonna do it anyway and they won't know I did it!" and he said this at a press conference?

It was and it was awesome because the IV ban is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The IV ban is the first part of ending the insane weight cut cold war, unfortunately Johny Hendricks died in a proxy conflict

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

It was and it was awesome because the IV ban is dumb

Generally speaking it's good, weight cutting complicates the issue but it makes the anti doping fight a bit simpler because residue from drip bags and whatever else can be detected in the blood

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The IV ban is the first part of ending the insane weight cut cold war, unfortunately Johny Hendricks died in a proxy conflict

Johnny Hendricks is back, Bart... in Welterweight form!

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

Generally speaking it's good, weight cutting complicates the issue but it makes the anti doping fight a bit simpler because residue from drip bags and whatever else can be detected in the blood

The problem is finding IV bag residue in someone doesn’t tell you if they were doping or not. And you won’t know if they’re diluting unless they still fail for banned compounds. IMO the only real benefit is to make it harder to make gigantic weight cuts.

Fighters should get an arm equivalent of the fake dick for passing drug tests. The doc sticks the fake arm and pulls the fake blood.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

Banning weight cutting is a good thing. Banning one thing that made it easier to do safely less so.

It'd be like the NFL going 'well, we understand enormous people smashing into each other is dangerous, so we'll get rid of helmets. That way people will be less willing to smash into each other.'

I mean, people here have stories about people still draining themselves for one day weigh ins in college wrestling. It's not an advantage people want to give up.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

The problem is finding IV bag residue in someone doesn’t tell you if they were doping or not

that's why a flat IV ban is good, then there's no reason for that to be in your blood without some kind of supporting medical evidence like a tue. there's no real reason to be injecting vitamins and supplements and stuff, they say it's more efficient than taking them orally but it's not necessary. you can also rehydrate normally, mouth style, again it's less efficient but as far as im aware its not impossible :P

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Regardless, I think when you're told that they are banned, the best course of action is not to go to a press conference and say into a mic,"I'm going to do it anyway, how will they ever know?" because I'm pretty sure they're gonna vaguely suspect something might be up after that.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Interesting Opinion, Mod.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Regardless, I think when you're told that they are banned, the best course of action is not to go to a press conference and say into a mic,"I'm going to do it anyway, how will they ever know?" because I'm pretty sure they're gonna vaguely suspect something might be up after that.

Well, he never got caught. So...maybe he was right?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
oh no. little nog is able to fight again as of 24 april.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neurosis posted:

oh no. little nog is able to fight again as of 24 april.

I swear he'd retired. I know Big Nog did, and it was really nice to see him on the Fight Pass show being all smiley and hanging around other martial arts schools, finally able to walk again.

Just on Fight Pass, does anyone know how to run the 24/7 stream on the apple TV app?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

well, it's like nate diaz vaping or whatever after his fight with conor. even if you can see an athlete smoking a blunt its not really proof theyre smoking weed in anti doping terms, it needs to be found in their body. it would be bad for aldo to have said it if he did get caught doing it down the line though since it would come up in his appeals and stuff. but they wouldnt specifically target an athlete just for saying stuff like that, it costs a lot of money to test athletes and store samples so this kind of targeted testing is only done in the interests of public opinion or because the governing body of the sport asks for it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Jose Aldo's famous 'gently caress the mods' tweet at a press conference.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I can't wait for a future where PED's have been mostly phased out and some misguided youngster injects himself with microscopic pieces of IV bag hoping for an unfair advantage.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The basic level of knowledge regular gym rats have about drug regimens and the trend towards developing therapeutic antibodies for relatively minor medical conditions is going to lead to some wild, wild poo poo in the next few years

mewse
May 2, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The basic level of knowledge regular gym rats have about drug regimens and the trend towards developing therapeutic antibodies for relatively minor medical conditions is going to lead to some wild, wild poo poo in the next few years

High On Life, And Drugs: The Tim Sylvia Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Alright everyone, I finally got the thread up. Went with Ariel Bombardment in the end because anything that reminds us that Ariel is a dweeb is a good thing. Thread is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855984

• Locked thread