Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunken Baker posted:

Can you dip in and out of chalice dungeons or are you locked in once you start one?

Not played, but I believe I'll be getting a chalice for the next boss I kill.

Also you can have multiple chalice dungeons going on at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Excellent! Thanks for fielding all these stupid newbie questions. I'm just so drat thrilled to be playing the game after all this time.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Drunken Baker posted:

Excellent! Thanks for fielding all these stupid newbie questions. I'm just so drat thrilled to be playing the game after all this time.

I was in the same boat and the thread helped a lot. I had basically read all the lore but watching the story unfold in person is so completely different.

Now I'd say Bloodborne is up there with Psychonauts for my favorite game of all time.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Actually having a lot of fun with a BLT/ARC using a Simon’s Bowblade and then Bloodletter I rushed as soon as I could. Thanks to the false depth and T3 rune dungeons, I was able to get enough resources to take on all the DLC bosses except OoK, and I haven’t even killed Rom yet. It’s fun helping people in low level dungeons wearing a bunch of DLC gear and having the milkweed rune on haha.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you beat the game and enter new game plus, all of your chalice dungeon progress is left untouched. So you don't need to worry about finishing anything in the chalices before you beat the game

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

U-DO Burger posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you beat the game and enter new game plus, all of your chalice dungeon progress is left untouched. So you don't need to worry about finishing anything in the chalices before you beat the game

How does NG+ work exactly? You keep your character and gear, and it resets all the enemies and now they're x times more powerful?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

shut up blegum posted:

How does NG+ work exactly? You keep your character and gear, and it resets all the enemies and now they're x times more powerful?

correct. you keep everything non-plot related and everything is upleveled

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

shut up blegum posted:

Yup, you wake up in Iosefka's Clinic and you keep everything except for keys. Enemies are stronger and give waaaaaay more blood echoes

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So GoW finally did it and I'm going to get my first console since the SNES - should I buy the PS4Pro if I only want 1080p gaming?

Since I come from the PC I'm used to smooth 60fps at least, so I guess it will be well worth the money over a regular PS4?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GaussianCopula posted:

So GoW finally did it and I'm going to get my first console since the SNES - should I buy the PS4Pro if I only want 1080p gaming?

Since I come from the PC I'm used to smooth 60fps at least, so I guess it will be well worth the money over a regular PS4?

not many games get a locked 60fps. its variable. You'll see the framerate go from near 60 and drop at various times, so while overall its nicer than most console games, it can be even more jarring at times because you notice the shift. I have a pro and use the resolution option so my game looks fantastic but is locked at 30. I also play games on my pc sometimes and you just adjust to the 30fps

Get a pro if you intend to get a 4k tv in the foreseeable future.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

E: never mind

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most games won’t go above their original 30 fps caps with a pro, including bloodborne

Monster hunter world is the only game I’ve personally played where the difference between a regular and a pro is substantial

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Drunken Baker posted:

I might have hit the tipping point and "got" the game now.

You fool! You imbecile!

I've been brickwalled by the Undead Giant in the first dang chalice dungeon! I know what to do against him, I'm sticking to his back and dodging out when he does his sweep but... I don't know. He always clocks me in the end. Hahaha. This doesn't bode well for the future.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Rayjenkins posted:

It’s fun helping people in low level dungeons wearing a bunch of DLC gear and having the milkweed rune on haha.

Yes, very much this. I've got the Beast's Embrace rune on, and I've been helping low-leveled people clear out Old Yharnham or Hemwick while in werewolf mode. I've had more than 1 person take a swing at me when they see a beastly guy with huge claws run towards them, even though I'm blue.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think chalice dungeons ignore matchmaking levels because I ended up guiding some real softies around last night.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Drunken Baker posted:

You fool! You imbecile!

I've been brickwalled by the Undead Giant in the first dang chalice dungeon! I know what to do against him, I'm sticking to his back and dodging out when he does his sweep but... I don't know. He always clocks me in the end. Hahaha. This doesn't bode well for the future.

Treat him more like a dark souls boss, since he’s a big boy. Give him one smack, maybe two max if your weapon is fast enough, then dodge away. Also, a bit of fire always helps, from fire paper and molotovs.

And if you like giants, you’re gonna love some of the other variants. :unsmigghh:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
is there some thing where the weird corpse boxes in Yahargul don't spawn if you have high insight or something? I realised after watching a speed run that I never even saw any of them on my second (NG) play through

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I'm on my first playthrough and insane amounts of frustration from Maria lead me to BL 141. I fought OoK once almost 40 levels ago and didn't do it again. How hosed am I going to be in NG+?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MNSNTZR posted:

I'm on my first playthrough and insane amounts of frustration from Maria lead me to BL 141. I fought OoK once almost 40 levels ago and didn't do it again. How hosed am I going to be in NG+?

itll be a cakewalk

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
unless you suck

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

unless you suck

I spent the last half of the game ignoring Vit, so. :buddy:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MNSNTZR posted:

I spent the last half of the game ignoring Vit, so. :buddy:

Level 50 it, now

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah I mean if your Vit isn’t 50 and you’re playing NG+, what are you even doing?

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I got it to 40 and realized that I kept getting my rear end handed to me in a couple of hits still because I suck at this game. Figured that focusing on actual build stuff was better, which did serve me well so far. Favoring offense way more than defense, I can kill most things faster than they can kill me.

So I'm the exact wrong type of person to play Soulsborne games!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

No, that's a fine approach to Souls games so long as you don't suck at dodging

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I rushed 30 Vit in my first playthrough and usually don’t ever touch it until past Amelia//Rom now, you really shouldn’t be getting hit by the first 3-4 bosses at all if you’ve played Bloodborne before

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not getting hit is nice, but not if it engenders passivity. Rip and tear until it is done.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I didn't really know this but instead of picking up Amelia's item and starting the night phase I'm just continuing on through the game, and it's nice and warm looking out in the cemetery. Pleasantborne even.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You’re gonna have to crack that nut eventually, lad

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hemwick isn't really continuing on, you could see it in the sunset by just doing it before Amelia.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Oh, now I remember why I forgot the Witch boss.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I kid you not I died to witches on my latest run 3 times because they caught me off screen

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I still advocate for my 30 VIT soul level 120 DEX Build for BOM.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So has anybody here been hanging around the Blood Soaked Beast to help out with invasions as this is the second time in about a week where I ran through the area with a beginning character and had a character show up and just wreck the thing. On a different note I am doing a physical character to work towards the beast claws and I had forgotten just how much I loved the Axe. When I fought the Cleric Beast I barely even dodged and just tore into the thing.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

STR builds make the game so much easier imo. I remember the difference between the axe and threaded cane are ridiculous early game. I'm going Skill and the saw spear isn't even that great at using Skill, but has a much better moveset imo.

I had to check a guide to find the: key item to enter Cainhurst. I feel kinda lovely but I played through the woods twice at this point and didn''t find the path. You've gotta admit, that cave is a little hidden away. Plus that whole hidden area that the path leads too is absurdly important for learning some npc stuff. Whelp. Iosefka!

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Just killed Orphan. What a satisfying fight, holy gently caress. That was some Gael-level intensity. It was a really good note for the game to go out on.

I’m probably done with Bloodborne for a little while, at least, but if I’m itching for some more Souls stuff, are the unique bosses in chalices worth the apparently boring level design?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

wocobob posted:

Just killed Orphan. What a satisfying fight, holy gently caress. That was some Gael-level intensity. It was a really good note for the game to go out on.

I’m probably done with Bloodborne for a little while, at least, but if I’m itching for some more Souls stuff, are the unique bosses in chalices worth the apparently boring level design?

You liked the Gael fight?

The unique bosses are interesting but it takes a lot of effort to reach them..

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Thing is, VIT is much more powerful in bloodborne than in other souls games. Because blood vials heal 40% of your max HP and you can hold 20 blood vials, for every 1 HP you gain you also get an extra 8 HP in potential healing. Having 50 VIT massively improves the healing potential of blood vials, making it much easier to survive a long fight, and also saves you a fair bit of echoes over the long run.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

You liked the Gael fight?

The unique bosses are interesting but it takes a lot of effort to reach them..

I think Gael is probably my favorite fight in the entire series, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I think Gael is probably my favorite fight in the entire series, fwiw

Mechanically it is a decent fight it is just that from a story perspective it just felt completely flat to me.