Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It would be pretty cool if the Yankees would consider losing a few games. As a gesture of good faith, the Red Sox have demonstrated how to do it and that it can be OK.

Boston is playing the worst teams in baseball and still losing ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think we can safely say Vlad Jr. inherited Vlad’s power. I just wish he didn’t wear gloves, too.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Jose Bautista expected to play for Atlanta tonight

Honestly a little worried about this, hope if the experiment goes bad they won't wait to pull the plug.

edit: which isn't to say it will, obviously something in the wind is in Atlanta's favor right now, probably i'm just looking for things to be pessimistic about

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

Honestly a little worried about this, hope if the experiment goes bad they won't wait to pull the plug.

edit: which isn't to say it will, obviously something in the wind is in Atlanta's favor right now, probably i'm just looking for things to be pessimistic about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCPgn7Wi3Q

This was last year. Think those dudes have forgotten about it?

Honestly watching it again it looks like Jose and Kurt were just talking about it and Jose was kind of going "yeah my bad" and then everyone ran over.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Boston is playing the worst teams in baseball and still losing ground.

Hence my plea.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jose coming up makes me EVEN ANGRIER that the makeup game here is a Monday day game

Joey if you end up going let me know and I'll try to pop over for an inning (this basically goes for anybody attending Wrigley on a weekday day game)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Huh, Yankees-Red Sox in London next year. I could see Major League Baseball on 3 different continents in 2019 if I lined things up right

Is this confirmed? I can't see anything on the MLB site about it (though I did find an article claiming Nick Markakis has "a real shot" at 3000 hits, which, :lol:)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I dont think Joey Bats has it anymore and this is probably AA being loyal and giving his friend a chance more than anything but if it works, hey, Bully for everyone

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ichiro posted:

(What is your role going forward?) My title has changed but from the outside. I think you’re just not going got see me in the dugout during games. I want to be able to help in any way I can. I’m not going to be the one going up to guys saying this or that. I’ll be there for anybody. If I know the answer I’m there in any way for them. I’m going to be practicing and hitting on the field and doing all of that. During the game I will be doing the same preparations I’ve been doing the entire time. Nothing is going to change for me that I did as a player. But I can’t say for certain that maybe I won’t put on a beard and glasses and be like Bobby Valentine and be in the dugout.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:eyepop:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I can't wait for him to wear a fake beard and glasses. :allears:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Kerhsaw just needs a little pine tar or spit imo.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

jesus

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Jose coming up makes me EVEN ANGRIER that the makeup game here is a Monday day game

Joey if you end up going let me know and I'll try to pop over for an inning (this basically goes for anybody attending Wrigley on a weekday day game)

Yeah I'll let you know. At this point I would just be going by myself. Nobody wants to take the day off with me.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I dont think Joey Bats has it anymore and this is probably AA being loyal and giving his friend a chance more than anything but if it works, hey, Bully for everyone

He flew up through the minors and is reportedly In The Best Shape Of His Life. This is a good time to try the experiment too, while everything is clicking. If it doesn't work cut him or send him back down and nothing is lost. If they did this while we were sucking balls it would be a lot more obvious. If he does well it's a good farewell tour for him because I can't imagine him sticking around another year. Either way Austin Riley will probably come up next year at 3B

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I agree, may as well kick the tires.

Was Rio Ruiz ever gonna be a thing at third or should i just wait for Riley

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He's in Gwinnett now, is on the last year of his contract and Riley is outplaying him, though he is in AA. I think Riley is the guy and Rio gets traded

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

E: ^^^ Kershaw is smart/talented enough to change his approach when things aren’t working. He’s already done it multiple times in his career. He’s gonna age like Roger Clemens. Fight me
The part that's scary is that his home run rate was up all of last season and still hasn't come down, and his fastball command looks not what it once was. I worry that his back is basically never right and never will be again, and compensating for that fucks up his command.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Looks like Kershaw is gonna have the Lincecum career arc sans the rings.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

The part that's scary is that his home run rate was up all of last season and still hasn't come down, and his fastball command looks not what it once was. I worry that his back is basically never right and never will be again, and compensating for that fucks up his command.

The article I linked to suggests his command is fine relatively speaking and that’s it’s basically all about the velocity. Idk. I agree with you that his command has slipped using the eye test.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Does anyone have the Ichiro walk off of Mo that was cut with the movie 2012?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Im still holding out hope Kershaw's performance decline is just a weird sample size / injury blip and he will return to being the top pitcher in baseball.

But man if he isn't looking human now. Can you imagine if he ends his career just being one of the top 5 or 10 best of his generation and not the clear best pitcher of the modern era, that he was seemingly on track for.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I think just giving him a shot makes more sense than praying one of their reserve infielders can help them make the playoffs.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He had a shot but I think he just isn't a good enough hitter. He was always a fringe prospect since he can't play middle infield and the bat has only ever been just good enough at hitting in the minors.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think it's hilarious that Kershaw "declining" means he has a 2.86 ERA, 1.136 WHIP, and a 9.8 K/9. Oh no! He's only just a really good pitcher now instead of the best in the game!

(I get it, it sucks to see someone decline, but c'mon, he's still pretty drat good and who knows, maybe things will start clicking again)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I will give you this shiny new Darvish for your irreparably broken Kershaw

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

tadashi posted:

I think just giving him a shot makes more sense than praying one of their reserve infielders can help them make the playoffs.

Sure, you're totally right, I can just see merit in riding the hot hand until Flaherty inevitably finishes falling off.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kensei posted:

I spent like 20 minutes looking for that last night and couldn't find it :(

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Also the video of Ichiro joking about two rats loving in a wool sock to Bob Costas

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kensei posted:

I used to have it favorited but it's gone from my list now, so it either got taken down or made private.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

3B should be Camargo's spot until he proves he can't do it. The 37 year old who most recently couldn't hit and has played 12 games at 3B in the last 6 years is a terrible idea. I mean, I'd be ok with taking a flyer on it if he could at least play decent defense, but this has the potential to screw up the good things.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Call me a bad baseball fan, I didn't realize Adrian Beltre had 460 home runs. For whatever reason, I never conceptualized him as a historically significant home-run hitter even though that is more home runs that Bagwell, Giambi, or Vlad. Granted, he also logged a hell of a lot more at bats then those guys.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Sydin posted:

I used to have it favorited but it's gone from my list now, so it either got taken down or made private.

I just remember that the title was in Kanji and I could never find it when I wanted to see it.

Did find this though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch23n6g8gYk

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I had to watch that twice before I realized it was just clever video editing. :downs:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

alpha_destroy posted:

Call me a bad baseball fan, I didn't realize Adrian Beltre had 460 home runs. For whatever reason, I never conceptualized him as a historically significant home-run hitter even though that is more home runs that Bagwell, Giambi, or Vlad. Granted, he also logged a hell of a lot more at bats then those guys.

Beltre has had such a fascinating career. He's the rare example of an excellent but not elite player who essentially never declined. If anything, he's played better in his 30s than he did in his 20s (2004 excepted). I'm glad he got to 3000 hits so that grumpy old men won't deny him his deserved hall of fame entry based on bad "hall of very good" arguments.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Also the video of Ichiro joking about two rats loving in a wool sock to Bob Costas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtImIqR5neU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Yeah I thought I had downloaded it at one point in time but I can't find it either :(

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

My favorite memory of Ichiro was reading that Japanese tabloids had put out a sizable bounty on a photo of Ichiro's naked buns so Ichiro's contract expressly forbade any locker-room bum pictures.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Sure, you're totally right, I can just see merit in riding the hot hand until Flaherty inevitably finishes falling off.

Bats isn’t going to be the every day starter and they sent down Preston and not Flaherty.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ego symphonic posted:

excellent but not elite

I have to disagree with this because putting up that offense along with elite 3B defense for 20 years is my definition of an elite player. He is legit 28th all time in career bWAR and has a solid chance of climbing that about 5 spots before the end of the year, passing names like Roberto Clemente, Cal Ripken, and Jimmie Foxx.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I have to disagree with this because putting up that offense along with elite 3B defense for 20 years is my definition of an elite player. He is legit 28th all time in career bWAR and has a solid chance of climbing that about 5 spots before the end of the year.

If he doesn't retire this year, he has a legit shot at 100 bWAR. It is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Beltre should be first ballot

• Locked thread