Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean they don’t believe that sure but it’s pretty obvious

I am pretty sure that you're incorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUVRB-FXOA
Finally one of my favorite video series Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong has updated with a video on Styracosaurus

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Finally one of my favorite video series Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong has updated with a video on Styracosaurus

:krad:

This series is so good and even covered the one dinosaur toy I still have.

...it’s really inaccurate, but still keep it in my room.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is a weird way to go as most of the reviewers posted here cater to man child as their key demos

Who are you referring to, and in what way are they like that? :confused:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All this Far Cry talk reminded me I hadn't played the Mad Max game I got for free on PSN and it's sort-of similar in that it's a 3rd-Person Open-World game instead of a First-Person Open-World game.

It's alright so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MonsieurChoc posted:

All this Far Cry talk reminded me I hadn't played the Mad Max game I got for free on PSN and it's sort-of similar in that it's a 3rd-Person Open-World game instead of a First-Person Open-World game.

It's alright so far.

It's pretty good as far as core gameplay goes, but it has a major problem as the game progresses where grinding for car parts becomes excruciating. The amount of parts you get for raiding camps or finding caches does not scale with the amount of parts you need to upgrade your ride, so you have to grind out more and more caches in the late game to keep up when each cache only gives you a fraction of what you need for each upgrade.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Long live the Queen

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/992249497886445568?s=20

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

How delightful.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Max Wilco posted:

Who are you referring to, and in what way are they like that? :confused:

Literally all of them.

I can’t think of one that doesn’t.

I also don’t really mean it as an insult, just it is what it is.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 4, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hope it's ok to make a request here:

Any watchable retrospectives of Perfect Strangers and Family Matters? These are two series I remember that sort of lost their minds and became stupid shambling zombies of their former selves and downright surreal at times. I don't wanna watch them ever again, yet, I'd watch a 30 minute retrospective.

Hell, same for Night Court. RIP Harry Anderson.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So long as we're making requests, is there anyone who reviews or covers strategy games? (stuff like Total War, Europa Unversalis, etc.)

CharlestheHammer posted:

Literally all of them.

I can’t think of one that doesn’t.

I also don’t really mean it as an insult, just it is what it is.

You're going to have to clarify, because I'm still not really sure what you mean.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"I don't mean manchild as an insult" is a pretty odd thing to say

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe he means it in the other sense of the word you often see in athletics scouting, where a 17 year old kid has the size and stature of a 30 year old, he's a real manchild.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
considering most of the critics in this thread attempt in some manner to undermine man-childism, it's an odd thing to accuse them all of

I'm sure lindsay for example finds the charge somewhat suspect

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

More pointless wanking.

Max Wilco posted:

So long as we're making requests, is there anyone who reviews or covers strategy games? (stuff like Total War, Europa Unversalis, etc.)

It's LP's but you may want to consider Many A True Nerd.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

maybe he means it in the other sense of the word you often see in athletics scouting, where a 17 year old kid has the size and stature of a 30 year old, he's a real manchild.
Not to be confused with Childman, the young hero with proportional strength of a grown man.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

It's LP's but you may want to consider Many A True Nerd.

I think I've seen ManyATrueNerd brought up in a different thread. I'll certainly check him out.

Actually, to answer my own question to a degree, there is someone that I'd recommend, and that's Mr. Smart Donkey. He's done LPs on quite a few of the Total War games. The one he's covered the most, though, is Shogun 2, having done videos covering all of the clans and the best & worst units in the game.

There's also Pixelated Apollo, who also largely covers RTS stuff, but again, it's mostly all LPs rather than reviews.

I was hoping maybe there was someone who did in-depth retrospectives on different series, or that (somewhat unrelated) there was someone who put together a 'Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Strategy Games' for someone like me who trying out Total War: Warhammer.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 4, 2018

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Garrand posted:

Just thought you should know that you misspelled "Design" at 1:15.

Aw gently caress. Does Youtube let you replace a video file after upload?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can’t think

:rip:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Conal Cochran posted:

She also co-hosts a pretty great podcast on bad romantic comedies that manages to be more than simply bashing bad movies, but looks at them through a critical racial and gender perspective. I haven't listened to their latest episode yet, but it's on the recent Amy Schumer comedy, I Feel Pretty.

http://badromance.libsyn.com
I recommended it in the old thread.:) The "I Feel Pretty" episode is really good and surprisingly positive.
I agree that Amy Schumer get's way too much weird hate. Especially compared to male comedians who have done much worse.

tudabee posted:

I also feel that Jourdain is extremely cool and good.
I can't imagine how many times she must have been called angry for being a black woman who criticizes something. Meanwhile a thousand podcast dudes are out there literally screaming about movies.
She is great.:allears:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

doctorfrog posted:

Any watchable retrospectives of Perfect Strangers and Family Matters? These are two series I remember that sort of lost their minds and became stupid shambling zombies of their former selves and downright surreal at times. I don't wanna watch them ever again, yet, I'd watch a 30 minute retrospective.

here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Zdp1RfoyI

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much. i always thought Mafia 3 knocked it out of the park when it came to tackling racism and the 60s. the writers nailed the tone and the wording and dog whistles. like the "native son" radio program and stuff. plus it was fun game. the shooting was sharp and meaty as hell. it was also the closet to feeling like a Punisher game in a long time.

I got Mafia 3 in an Xbox sale and it turned out to be one of my favourite games of last year.

On top of that the story presentation was absolutely phenomenal. They way they use the footage from Donovan's congressional hearing, news reports, the retired FBI investigator and Father James in the present day was superb and gave a strange documentary feel to the whole thing as well as helping to weave the story and add quite a lot of extra context. (Mafia 3 also has some pretty good facial animation which these scenes really show off.) Plus it really did feel like a Punisher Max story. Particularly in the creative ways Lincoln dispatches the Underbosses.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah its the repition, which works story wise and thematicaly but it kills the pacing a bunch. ok so each main target has 2 underboss types. you destroy and gently caress up each under bosses thing and then kill or turn the under boss. it works because of the whole MACV SOG type poo poo. slowly killing the big bads support and its fun for a while because i loved the gun play but its not for everyone.

The one thing I realised later is that you really don't need to do everything in each district as the game doesn't penalise you not doing them and going after the bosses. Just do enough to unlock the underboss/boss missions and then do them immediately. It cuts down on the repetitive nature quite a bit. Also, once you get a decent assault rifle (The M16 is way too good), you're nearly invincible.

If you can do what I did and grab Mafia 3 with the DLC for £15 in a sale? There are far worse investments you can make.

Oh, and the Soundtrack is also really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Max Wilco posted:

I think I've seen ManyATrueNerd brought up in a different thread. I'll certainly check him out.

I was hoping maybe there was someone who did in-depth retrospectives on different series, or that (somewhat unrelated) there was someone who put together a 'Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Strategy Games' for someone like me who trying out Total War: Warhammer.

Try PartyElite. He does extensive breakdowns of unit strategies and tactics for Total War games.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

doctorfrog posted:

Hell, same for Night Court. RIP Harry Anderson.
Just watch Night Court in its entirety. It stands up.

Also, I got a youtube suggestion to watch Kimble(?) Justice talk about Chaos Engine, which is one of my favourite games ever so I did, and I think I've listened to Kim on and off for two or three years, and had no idea that on-camera appearances were once a thing. loving sweet hair, if I may say so.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ghostlight posted:

Just watch Night Court in its entirety. It stands up.

Some parts of that show have aged real badly, like sexual-harasser-with-a-heart-of-gold Dan Fielding. No fault of John Larroquette, but yeah.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zedd posted:

Not having played Mafia 3: Mafia 2 was obviously retrofitted into being way more open-world then intended so It seems they didn't learn from that.

I was under the impression it was the exact opposite. Mafia 2 started with a pretty full menu of open world Stuff, which then got sliced out and repackaged into DLC because 2K is the worst.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

stillvisions posted:

Some parts of that show have aged real badly, like sexual-harasser-with-a-heart-of-gold Dan Fielding. No fault of John Larroquette, but yeah.
I disagree he has a heart of gold.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pants Donkey posted:

Not to be confused with Childman, the young hero with proportional strength of a grown man.

I love Shazam!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

DDRJake was so good at Europa IV that he'S now part of the Dev Team.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Reman is probably the best guy in terms of presentation for explaining eu4 stuff.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

John Murdoch posted:

I was under the impression it was the exact opposite. Mafia 2 started with a pretty full menu of open world Stuff, which then got sliced out and repackaged into DLC because 2K is the worst.
If I remember right we are both partially correct. Mafia 2 was opened-up to follow the trend of openworld games, and had to score big to make up for some other losses. When the game got closer to release they started chopping it up. I could be wrong but that is how I remember it.

Anyway Mafia 2 was fine, nice details, but disappointing overall.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The best things about Mafia 1&2 was that it mechanically encouraged you to play in a way that worked with the narrative. At the start the story tells you that the Mafia are "civilized" criminals that follow rules and are worthy of respect and at the same time it tells you to follow traffic laws and not run around murdering people. As you go further into the story that façade falls away and you gain a mastery of the system so you are running red lights at mach speed and gunning down people in the street because you've learned to get away with it, just as the characters show themselves to only use the rules when it benefits them. Shame the writer turned out to be a racist POS, otherwise I'd want to make a video or article or something about it because it's a bit like Far Cry 2 in how it uses mechanics.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zedd posted:

If I remember right we are both partially correct. Mafia 2 was opened-up to follow the trend of openworld games, and had to score big to make up for some other losses. When the game got closer to release they started chopping it up. I could be wrong but that is how I remember it.

I mean, Mafia 1's whole appeal was that it was a sleeper open world hit, so I'm not sure why 2 wouldn't have started as an open world game too. That's the whole reason why 2K bought up the dev team.

Though there was also scuttlebutt that that one racist idiot was a terrible project director. (Don't think he was the writer on it?)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never bought Mafia 2, but I spent hours beating up elderly people in the demo. I was very disappointed with Mafia 3's melee combat.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, Mafia 1's whole appeal was that it was a sleeper open world hit, so I'm not sure why 2 wouldn't have started as an open world game too. That's the whole reason why 2K bought up the dev team.

Though there was also scuttlebutt that that one racist idiot was a terrible project director. (Don't think he was the writer on it?)

Daniel Vavra was the lead designer, writer and director of Mafia 1 and I'm not sure about his other roles but he was definitely a writer on 2.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, huh, didn't realize he was quite that tied into those games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Alaois posted:

Daniel Vavra was the lead designer, writer and director of Mafia 1 and I'm not sure about his other roles but he was definitely a writer on 2.

Well then I think people would be mad at him for signing off on that race car section in Mafia 1.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I don't know if streams fit the bill here, but a good while back there was this SNES Platformer by Kaneko, hinted a few times on Nintendo Power and the such about a weirdly licensed platformer based on Bill Clinton's Presidential Pet, Socks the Cat. It was never released for ages, being only teased on blurry footage by a game collector until there was a drive to actually get the game back and released in cart format around 2016.

Frank Cifaldi got his hands on the game and a rom was released somewhat recently and that's getting played on stream by Danny Cowan and Alex (RetroPals, posted them a couple times or so on this thread) at 8 PM CT.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I feel like Max is way too easy to kill in this Mad Max vidya game, considering the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, huh, didn't realize he was quite that tied into those games.

yeah, warhorse used to make mafia 1 and 2 but 2k hosed them over on 2 and they had to get rid of a ton of cool stuff(different mechanics, weapons, trollys) or turn it into half baked DLC. I like kingdom come alot so far, though i havent had time to play and i am waiting for more.