Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

To be honest I'm surprised there hasn't been a reboot/revamp of the whole TT plot/mechanics after 30 years, especially when the license was languishing for a bit in the mid 00s. World of Darkness (Vampire:TM, basically) had a reboot right around the time the game came out.

Battletech fans seem to be a special kind of crazy. I think the writers would receive mountains of death threats if they altered the precious clans a single bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sandweed posted:

I have an amazing mechwarrior now with a Russian accent, very pessimistic all the time. Stomping around in an Orion and one arm gets stripped of armor.
"I'm going to die"

As a bonus, his coolant for his heatsinks is probably Ethanol and he's probably way toasted and accepting of his death.

Mordja posted:

Wrong Kerensky...

I know, fun to imagine anyways.

Also: If we're talking about crazy Eugenics poo poo, Katherine Stiener-Davion made a clone using her DNA and Victors: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Alaric_Ward

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 4, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sarsapariller posted:

Then down at the individual level, it gets more absurd. Everyone gets to bring whatever their favorite weapon is to the table! Elemental people get to wear their armor suit while dueling with aerospace people who get to bring their space fighter. "I'm gonna duel you, machine gun and short range rockets vs orbital bombs at dawn!" Yet somehow everyone in any position of political authority earned via duel is a mech jockey. You'd think that if everyone is bringing their own poo poo to a fight, the people flying the unstoppable Clan spaceships would probably end up winning the majority. You know, the ones weighing thousands of tons with weapons capable of glassing a planet? But for some reason nobody ever duels those guys.

There are a few elemental and aerospace pilots that made it to Khan and in one case an elemental washout that became an Aerospace pilot.

Oftentimes you'd get:

'Augmented' Aero > Mech > Elemental

'Unaugmented' Elemental>Mech>Aero

Though for augmented fights they'd have the two having something *relatively* comparable. So a Aero or Mech pilot would be in the lightest unit available, also the elemental would get to choose the location

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
While I was at work thinking about things, and are drop ships part of TT?

Because I feel like it'd be more fun for me at least if dropships had a tonnage mechanic. Like, you can deploy as many mechs as you want, but you have to be under your dropships weight limit. Could have been a way to keep light mechs usable until endgame. Probably harder to balance though.

I also feel like scrapping could be added to that mechanic.

Though speaking of scrapping, gently caress that post scrap thing. "180,000 value" sellable for 12,000.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Even aside from everything else, the fact that the Clans use animal totems driving a bunch of SA members ballistic and into immediate "they're terrible and furries" territory is amazing. Like, there sure is absolutely nothing else in the modern/historical world that has used animal totems/mascots and not been furries.

Also known as there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the Clans, both in- and out- of 'verse, but this one is idiotic.

Taerkar posted:

6) Most of this goes out the window within a decade or so of being exposed to the Inner Sphere, culminating with the Wars of Reaving, which are basically "I'm More Hardcore Than You, Clan Edition' (Also a very elaborate Serial Murder-Suicide by Steel Viper)

The Wars of Reaving are funny because the overall objective was all just an elaborate manipulation by the Star Adders, right down to their Khan deliberately inciting his own murder at the end of it, in order to take dominant control of the homeworlds. The Society stuff was unexpected, and left the entire place an utter mess, but everything else was basically all within expectations. Remove their major rivals with access to more resources (the IS Clans), let someone else take the vast majority of the hatred, unite the remaining Clans by then removing said hated one, and conclude the major grudge you'd been holding.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

As long as we're asking for unlikely retcon things, i want them to bring the Ragnarok and Ymir in. I don't care that those games are about as non canon as it gets I want to shoot people with a lava canon.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nasgate posted:

While I was at work thinking about things, and are drop ships part of TT?

Though speaking of scrapping, gently caress that post scrap thing. "180,000 value" sellable for 12,000.

Yeah, but even a Leopard can carry 4 mechs ready to go with no tonnage restrictions + 2 aerospace fighters. You'd need special circumstances of some kind to have a tonnage or mech cap for a given mission.

Don't sell mechs by scrapping them. I routinely get 400k+ per mech at a friendly planet just by collecting salvage and putting completed mechs I don't want in storage. When I get to a planet where I have a good rep, I sell the completed mechs out of storage.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 4, 2018

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

Even aside from everything else, the fact that the Clans use animal totems driving a bunch of SA members ballistic and into immediate "they're terrible and furries" territory is amazing. Like, there sure is absolutely nothing else in the modern/historical world that has used animal totems/mascots and not been furries.

To be fair - there is a difference between "Hey guys let's call our unit THE FIGHTING TIGERS!" and "Hey guys, let's design our tanks and jets so that they look like ACTUAL TIGERS!"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Anyway what I'd really like to see from DLC or expansions is additional mechanics and rule sets, before they advance to Clan stuff.

Expanded battle mechanics-
rules for using fires, urban combat, improvised weapons, VTOLs, infantry, underwater or non-atmospheric combat, strafing runs from aerospace fighters, off-map artillery support, entrenched/hardened positions, etc etc

Expanded campaign-
Let players make use of additional mechs or infantry across bigger maps, of course.
Have random mercenary contracts that amount to mini-campaigns, like 3-mission setups with story beats between them.
More (and more interesting) procedural battles, with objectives that amount to more than "Shoot Robot." Scouting missions that actually require low tonnage? Quick strike/diversion missions about making a giant mess and extracting? Honor duels between nobles?
Make supply and logistics an actual issue when operating in enemy territory.

Expanded world-
Allow aerospace fighters, dropships, warships to battle using their own maps/mechanics
Maybe add a political angle with Total War style agents and policies between powers?
Allow players to claim a world and build it up similar to the Argo but with more social angles and consequence?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Saddest Robot posted:

To be fair - there is a difference between "Hey guys let's call our unit THE FIGHTING TIGERS!" and "Hey guys, let's design our tanks and jets so that they look like ACTUAL TIGERS!"

Zoids 3 looking good

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Psion posted:

Don't sell individual pieces of mechs.
...you can do that?

On a similar note, why does scrapping a mech give you less money than selling it? Or rather why is there a scrap option/no sell option in the mech bay interface when selling it is straight up better and the only difference is that it takes maybe one more click to get to the store interface. There are a lot of weird things in this game but that one is just completely nonsensical to me.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Totem mechs were a pretty recent thing.

Also you trying to say bad things about the Kodiak?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Almost all the "let's literally design this stuff to look like this" is also Dark Ages garbage. And virtually everything about Dark Ages is garbage and is safely ignored. Also the largest example I'm aware of, the protomech stuff, was because it was extremely phoned in by the artists (or something along those lines).

Most pre-DA totem weapons basically peaked at Kodiak levels of imitation, which isn't every much.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

I mean Battletech is just tribal fighting with robots, so having animal masks fits perfectly.

Also naming your character T'challa and putting them in a panther is cool and good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wizard Styles posted:

...you can do that?

I meant to say "don't sell for scrap" - thanks, edited my post. I think you can sell for scrap instantly and get a fixed price that doesn't change compared to selling a stored mech on a planet where rep matters. Maybe? That's the only reason I can think of for that disconnect in pricing.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sarsapariller posted:

Anyway what I'd really like to see from DLC or expansions is additional mechanics and rule sets, before they advance to Clan stuff.

Expanded battle mechanics-
rules for using fires, urban combat, improvised weapons, VTOLs, infantry, underwater or non-atmospheric combat, strafing runs from aerospace fighters, off-map artillery support, entrenched/hardened positions, etc etc

Expanded campaign-
Let players make use of additional mechs or infantry across bigger maps, of course.
Have random mercenary contracts that amount to mini-campaigns, like 3-mission setups with story beats between them.
More (and more interesting) procedural battles, with objectives that amount to more than "Shoot Robot." Scouting missions that actually require low tonnage? Quick strike/diversion missions about making a giant mess and extracting? Honor duels between nobles?
Make supply and logistics an actual issue when operating in enemy territory.

Expanded world-
Allow aerospace fighters, dropships, warships to battle using their own maps/mechanics
Maybe add a political angle with Total War style agents and policies between powers?
Allow players to claim a world and build it up similar to the Argo but with more social angles and consequence?

I agree I want to see combined arms and battle tactics stuff added before clan mechs.

Wargame: Battletech would be pretty cool and good. Paradox Goons hook those two studio's up.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pinpoint accurate weapons was MWO's original sin. Everything after that was them trying to re-balance to take account for the fact that you can put an alpha strike on the same location pretty trivially.

Not to re-litigate ancient terrible history, but, no, that's not even remotely MWO's original sin. Their original sin was not loving balancing the weapon stats for an FPS at all in the first place, unlike MW:LL, because take your pick between:
Paul inouye is a terrible loving hack that has no idea what he's doing
They didn't want to actually :effort: adjust stock builds built around terribly balanced weapons to be not poo poo
They were worried about the grog-backlash if the AC2 wasn't a useless pile of garbage and every medium that mounted a ballistic weapon at all wasn't useless.

Compound that with poor map design and you get MWO.

If you ignore everything else then of course just literally copy and pasting the TT's weapon stats in to an FPS with pinpoint accuracy is a problem.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 4, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gwaihir posted:

Not to re-litigate ancient terrible history, but, no, that's not even remotely MWO's original sin. Their original sin was not loving balancing the weapon stats for an FPS at all in the first place, unlike MW:LL because take your pick between:
Paul inouye is a terrible loving hack that has no idea what he's doing
They didn't want to actually adjust stock builds built around terribly balanced weapons to be not poo poo
They were worried about the grog-backlash if the AC2 wasn't a useless pile of garbage and every medium that mounted a ballistic weapon at all wasn't useless.

Compound that with poor map design and you get MWO.

If you ignore everything else then of course just literally copy and pasting the TT's weapon stats in to an FPS with pinpoint accuracy is a problem.

There was like one patch where AC/2's were actually good and that was probably one of my favorite phases of MW:O

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Taerkar posted:

There are a few elemental and aerospace pilots that made it to Khan and in one case an elemental washout that became an Aerospace pilot.

Oftentimes you'd get:

'Augmented' Aero > Mech > Elemental

'Unaugmented' Elemental>Mech>Aero

Though for augmented fights they'd have the two having something *relatively* comparable. So a Aero or Mech pilot would be in the lightest unit available, also the elemental would get to choose the location

Right but notice how, in both of the cases you mentioned, Mech pilots are not top of the food chain? The only way the Clan caste systems works as written is if mechwarriors are just designated "The Best' by fiat, and then rarely if ever forced to actually engage in duels outside of those against other mechwarriors. As soon as pilots or elementals get a say, they probably win in their chosen arena. And nobody even asks the warship captains to come to duels.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

CommieGIR posted:

As a bonus, his coolant for his heatsinks is probably Ethanol and he's probably way toasted and accepting of his death.

I know, fun to imagine anyways.

Also: If we're talking about crazy Eugenics poo poo, Katherine Stiener-Davion made a clone using her DNA and Victors: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Alaric_Ward

The Dark Ages has multiple terrible incest babies and that is part of why it is so terrible.

I am pretty sure the head of the Capellan Confed and Canpous are brother sister and they have a kid together, who gets raped by the heir of the Federated Suns. Then there is Katrina's hosed up test tube son made with her brothers spunk.

Also the FWL does / sort of ish not exist fuckers...

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 4, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sarsapariller posted:

2) Nobody ever just assassinates their opponents, or conducts industrial espionage, or has any kind of adversarial relationship that isn't conducted through ritualized combat. Even their committee meetings tend to devolve into some kind of duel because nobody has any other means of working out their differences. If they did, you'd probably see them get used a lot because not every fight is winnable through force of arms, and the underdogs would probably be playing to win anyway! So you can pretty much count on all of the decision making in Clantown being done by 20-year-olds with incredible twitch reflexes and nothing else.

Clan Widowmaker planted a nuke in Clan Wolverine's capital city and got Wolverine blamed for it. Heck, Clan Widowmaker basically got Wolverine deleted from the history books because they didn't like their nascent Marxism.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Jack2142 posted:

There was like one patch where AC/2's were actually good and that was probably one of my favorite phases of MW:O

Then ghost heat happened and suddenly chain firing AC2s overheated your mech and you died

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gwaihir posted:

Then ghost heat happened and suddenly chain firing AC2s overheated your mech and you died

loving ppc poptarts ruined everything *cries* well and Piranha Games terrible balancing logic.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Behemoth was my first death. Godspeed boring party member, I've replaced you with a rando.

I fired Medusa because eh, I found other people that seem cooler and you mysteriously cost more then the randos do?

It seems like the game is heavily pushing A/B/C Lances, but doesn't provide the level of missions to support that. Like hey, you can have 30 Mechwarriors on board, and 60 Mechs stored, and yeah just build a couple of Lances in case things go rotten and you need to swap dudes out, but why? I'm nearing the mid/end of the game and I still rarely have more then 3-4 missions up per planet, and even if I gently caress up on 1-2 of those and take a loss I can quickly just swap in a B Teamer and be up to speed again within 5 turns.

The travel speed basically kills the ability to have more then two Lances tops it seems. In XCOM I'd want an A/B/C squad in case I take casualties, because I could either mix and match as needbe, or take on multiple threats at the same time. The only time loss I'd suffer is globe, and globe only takes 2-3 days. As such I could very easily run into a problem scenario of A Team knocked out in a bad mission, sending in B Team while they recover, then whoops B Team also goes down and now I need to lean on C Team to keep things rolling until A/B heal up.

Here though you have travel time, so you only really need A/B, and not even a full B. If you go into a problem scenario and lose 1-2 guys, you can pull from B to replace them. If you get a really lovely squad wipe you can pull up your B Team. After the 3 missions on a planet you almost always tend to get 17 DAYS UNTIL NEXT PLANET which eats away almost the entire healing process, especially on an upgraded Argo. I've got a full mechbay right now and Yang can turn a fully cored/no arms/no legs Mech into a working machine in like 5 days.

Considering each pilot can cost 50k plus another 25k for their mech every month, it's not really feasible to run a full 2-3 lances. Instead it feels smarter to roll a full A lance, plus maybe 2-3 people who work as a supplementary lance that you can pull from when needed. Put every not used mech into storage and pull it when you need it, since it only takes 3 days to pull out of storage and frees up 100-200k per month by midgame.

Especially since there doesn't seem to be any timed missions? Having a smaller company of maybe just A/half B let's you save up enough money that if you hit a problem spot you can largely just wait until it's dealt with by eating a month or two, since your total costs are significantly cheaper then if you had a full A/B/C and suddenly had to constantly be doing missions just to pay the bills.

Honestly I think if they really want the player to play with larger crews, they need to drop the cost of the Argo ( that was a huge tease. Hey your debt will be over, nope, here's the exact same debt, just renamed. ), and add more missions per planet.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sarsapariller posted:

Right but notice how, in both of the cases you mentioned, Mech pilots are not top of the food chain? The only way the Clan caste systems works as written is if mechwarriors are just designated "The Best' by fiat, and then rarely if ever forced to actually engage in duels outside of those against other mechwarriors. As soon as pilots or elementals get a say, they probably win in their chosen arena. And nobody even asks the warship captains to come to duels.

Congratulations, you just discovered that battlemechs are generalist platforms.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jack2142 posted:

I agree I want to see combined arms and battle tactics stuff added before clan mechs.

Wargame: Battletech would be pretty cool and good. Paradox Goons hook those two studio's up.

No no

What I want to see is Total War: Warhammer: Battletech: Mechwarrior. Then we all ride in Warhammers and stomp elves and orcs and poo poo with our giant rocket robots.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Jack2142 posted:

loving ppc poptarts ruined everything *cries* well and Piranha Games terrible balancing logic.

I don't know if I would have been quite as mad at MWO if MW:LL hadn't existed immediately before MWO did with none of the balance problems that MWO had. All they had to do was be MORE LAZY and just copy MWLL's mechanics to a modern engine but nope.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just wiki'd bidding and what that means. Jesus that's some dumb poo poo.

Harebrained Schemes are seriously geniuses for picking the era that they did and I wish them the best if they go forward into Clan times because lol.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I mean you're not wrong, but lemme fix something for you.

Sarsapariller posted:

The only way Battletech works as written is if mechwarriors are just designated "The Best' by fiat, and then rarely if ever forced to actually engage in duels outside of those against other mechwarriors.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

speaking of ac/2's and mechwarrior living legends there was a tank there with a name i can neither write nor pronounce that mounted like 4 uac2's and 2 uac5's that was ostensibly for anti-air support but would core out mechs like a long range drill. good times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Considering how well I've spent the last fifteen hours annihilating heavies cores' instead of their legs to get one scrap at a time I feel like I should just move on and do Smithon already but at this point it's a matter of principle. On the other smashing pirate lances is pretty fun now I've got a good thing going. Two Hawks, a Wolverine, and a Centurion is a pretty powerful combo.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No no

What I want to see is Total War: Warhammer: Battletech: Mechwarrior. Then we all ride in Warhammers and stomp elves and orcs and poo poo with our giant rocket robots.

I mean I am not opposed, speaking of the Warhammer...

I wonder if the Harmony Gold suit crapping out means we will ever get a free patch adding some of the MW:O redesigned unseen like the Warhammer and the Archer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gwaihir posted:

I don't know if I would have been quite as mad at MWO if MW:LL hadn't existed immediately before MWO did with none of the balance problems that MWO had. All they had to do was be MORE LAZY and just copy MWLL's mechanics to a modern engine but nope.

You know what I'm goddam still loving salty about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_BattleTech_3025

Never. loving. Forget.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of ac/2's and mechwarrior living legends there was a tank there with a name i can neither write nor pronounce that mounted like 4 uac2's and 2 uac5's that was ostensibly for anti-air support but would core out mechs like a long range drill. good times.

Oh the Huitzilapochtli? That was some good poo poo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gesundheit

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Taerkar posted:

Congratulations, you just discovered that battlemechs are generalist platforms.

Airspace posted:

I mean you're not wrong, but lemme fix something for you.

True and also true. But what I'm saying is that strange clansmen laying in tubes distributing 'mechs is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical bloodright ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just cause some eugenics'd up tart threw a Warhammer at you! I mean, if I went around saying I was an IlKhan just because some gengineered bint had lobbed a Wolfhound at me, they'd put me away!

Now we see the violence inherent in the system.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Sounds like the Partisan (aka the Party Van).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jack2142 posted:

I mean I am not opposed, speaking of the Warhammer...

I wonder if the Harmony Gold suit crapping out means we will ever get a free patch adding some of the MW:O redesigned unseen like the Warhammer and the Archer.

The lawsuit is still ongoing for PGI, so don't expect to see any of their mech models related to the suit until after that is resolved.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tempest_56 posted:

Sounds like the Partisan (aka the Party Van).

AK Pulse mod when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You know what I'm goddam still loving salty about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplayer_BattleTech_3025

Never. loving. Forget.

It was a good game even if the netcode was so basic that it was literally just "if you click weapons on your target with the reticle over them then they will take damage no matter what even if it's a barrage of LRMs and they run behind a mountain".

Also the only time the AC2 was scary because you worked your way up from Light mechs so everyone's first step was the JVN-10F (Javelin with 4x MLs) where everything would devolve into circle strafing with lasers and suddenly the BJ-1 shows up with AC2s that can snipe Lights from double the range and also had 4x MLs to gently caress up any light that got close.

I played enough that I ended up dropping against Catapults. Since you couldn't LoS LRMs once they've been locked onto you it wasn't very fun.