Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Didn't really have one, I had for Prussia to actually play with the Militarization and go for a small condensed realm that could punch above it's weight.
You're still my fav btw, but drat if the Kaiser doesn't have mad banter

If its not too late you could go for horse names for your provinces as and Khagans but you usually have better gimmicks than that

Also speaking as someone that has just had to learn about trading and hates playing Continental Europe (The best thing about going from CK2 to EUIV was that I could now get further away from Europe) is that it's deeply strange that all the money in the world somehow ends up in Genoa, Venice or Britain by default unless you stop it (I love you Zanzibar)

Also I had a lot of fun and actually finished a game recently by releasing a lot of vassals, then having them take over their overlords (though inevitably one ended up as a vassal of the others because I was too lazy to release them all and instadiplo apparently doesn't work while the game is paused?)

I also crippled the Iberian colonizers and boosted the Iberians, while connecting Africa properly so that institutions flowed way faster. Actually saw the AI do Knowledge Sharing by itself too! (Morrocco to Mali or Timbuktu, if I remember right).

It really makes me wish there were more "alternative history" and "wacky" poo poo that you could toggle on/off like supernatural events for CK2. Maybe I want a Norse Reformation to spawn in the Nordics, or a New world that isn't poo poo and actually has nations capable of taking on the Euros when they get there (It's honestly super lame that even The Obsidian Empire is just a lump that doesn't screw over to the other side of the world. Should really get missions to do that)

Or something that shakes up the Mid-East or Asia. Making an 800 Point Western Tech Wakanda in Central Africa is fun but it would be nice if that sorta thing might happen.

Ehhh. I mean, the absolutely best move CA ever did was move to fantasy so I don't know, I don't see why it wouldn't maybe also go for Paradox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

They have nerfed the range on the tributaries so it's not as crazy as it used to be. Personally I would like if declaring tributary wars didn't let you take provinces as well. :shrug:

That range nerf is working out great for the minors in the Philippines. They were basically added as extra tributaries for Ming.

I still maintain that becoming a tributary should not be a diplomatic action, Ming has to enforce this status by force. Make sure they have a CB on every nation bordering them and let them actually use their military for something that is not defending the colonizing Mamluks.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yo did anyone mention there was a dev diary on tuesday about breaking north india down into more tags and also

posted:

Now last but not least here is the promised a Trade Node map of India! This is one way in which the subcontinent has actually changed quite a bit as the one from 1.8 had some severe deficiencies. Both in how hard it was for Europeans to pull trade from the region and in its failure to properly capture the benefits of the Grand Trunk Road.

In 1.26 we have removed and renamed nodes as well as changed connections and the direction of the trade flow.

Changes include:
Bengal now gives trade to Doab as well as Coromandel (old Ceylon).
Doab feeds both Deccan and Lahore.
Deccan Feeds Coromandel and Gujarat
Lahore feeds Gujarat, Samarkand and Persia.
Gujarat feeds Hormuz, Aden and Zanzibar
Coromandel feeds Gujarat, Aden and Cape of Good Hope.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Zanzibar getting nerfed?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
No longer needing to conquer zanzibar to make sure trade flows is a good change.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I loving love these India changes. Thunder dome gonna get even more, uhh, fulgurus

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

I'm playing as Morocco. A European coalition declares war on me. My Ottoman allies dishonour the CTA because they're too busy with another war. Alright fine, these things happen. After the war, I find that the Ottos aren't interested in restarting our 100 trust alliance. They're now hostile because they want a bunch of my colonial nation's provinces in Mexico. As far as I can see, the Ottomans have no presence whatsoever in the New World. Aside from some expansion into Russia, the Ottos are in their traditional stomping grounds of the Balkans, the Middle East and Egypt.

Has this happened to anyone else? Have a high trust ally turn on you because they want a bunch of your empire's provinces on the other side of the world?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
its the gold provinces aint it

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

(It's honestly super lame that even The Obsidian Empire is just a lump that doesn't screw over to the other side of the world. Should really get missions to do that)

They do, it's pretty poo poo missions but they have two each for I think Iberia, Ireland and Scandinavia.

I don't think there's anything to give them a CB though, so they get claims on Europe if they take a province but the AI never will.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where is an up to date Europa Gooniveralis? :(

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

love all the racists in the paradox forums incensed that paradox would focus on a region not populated by white people.
Kinda sad that a mod had to post this:

quote:

PSA!

We are aware of a lot of people being disappointed the coming update will not be focusing on Iberia/Italy/HRE.
We are aware that there is a wish for us to release such an update, and it might very well happen later, but not now!
Spamming the same thing in every Development Diary will not change that fact.

If the derailing of discussions does not end, then we will have to start deleting posts and warn people for spamming. Thank you for understanding.

/Björn

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

James Garfield posted:

They do, it's pretty poo poo missions but they have two each for I think Iberia, Ireland and Scandinavia.

I don't think there's anything to give them a CB though, so they get claims on Europe if they take a province but the AI never will.
Yeah, I saw them but again, it's retarded cart before the horse poo poo where they give the claims after you conquer when the problem is they never conquer in the first place

I literally have to console them in, grab a piece of Ireland, finish the mission, then hope they actually do poo poo (they often don't because the AI is not fab at naval invasions and they very often don't have any allies, while Euros have a buncha allies witha buncha boats

Edit:

I was watching Remans trade thing again and it autoplayed something called Minghals, does that still work?

And from there, I went into the OG DDRJake thing where he did and holy smokes, if you'd have told me that was EU3 I'd have believe it: it's kinda crazy how much this game has changed just since 2014

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 3, 2018

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

Contingency Plan posted:

I'm playing as Morocco. A European coalition declares war on me. My Ottoman allies dishonour the CTA because they're too busy with another war. Alright fine, these things happen. After the war, I find that the Ottos aren't interested in restarting our 100 trust alliance. They're now hostile because they want a bunch of my colonial nation's provinces in Mexico. As far as I can see, the Ottomans have no presence whatsoever in the New World. Aside from some expansion into Russia, the Ottos are in their traditional stomping grounds of the Balkans, the Middle East and Egypt.

Has this happened to anyone else? Have a high trust ally turn on you because they want a bunch of your empire's provinces on the other side of the world?

I've had this sort of thing happen if said ally gets colonialism maxed out and is able to generate claims overseas, or however it works. Most recently in a Hisin Kayfa game where I was for awhile buddies with France, who lost a war and had annul treaties with me. 0 provinces past some West African territories, but they wanted most of the east coast of Africa suddenly.

-200 for a good two dozen provinces, many 3 development. I've also had upwards of -50 or so for a single province sometimes which I would say is a bit much especially if the development of said province is not particularly high and it lacks any goldmine/center of trade and such.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Mans posted:

Kinda sad that a mod had to post this:

Whole thing made me have an itch to give Gibraltar to ENG at 1444 start date :colbert:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Groogy posted:

Whole thing made me have an itch to give Gibraltar to ENG at 1444 start date :colbert:

Compromise, give ENG a core on it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
So I'm 130 years into a Coptic Ottoman run, edging a bit close on the AE thing, about halfway through eating the Mamluks (already took enough of eastern Europe to prevent Russia from ever forming unless I do it myself), have almost all of the Balkans, have prevented the PLC, getting ready to start taking down the turbo-Timurids and expand towards India...

...and then the HRE goes and signs the Peace of Westphalia all by itself. This should make me eligible (at least, once I get a male ruler again). drat, dude.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Groke posted:

So I'm 130 years into a Coptic Ottoman run, edging a bit close on the AE thing, about halfway through eating the Mamluks (already took enough of eastern Europe to prevent Russia from ever forming unless I do it myself), have almost all of the Balkans, have prevented the PLC, getting ready to start taking down the turbo-Timurids and expand towards India...

...and then the HRE goes and signs the Peace of Westphalia all by itself. This should make me eligible (at least, once I get a male ruler again). drat, dude.

Small tip: taking the Reform the Roman Empire decision removes all your provinces from the HRE, so do that after you Proclaim Erbkaisertum. Did that in a Orthrodox Ottoman > Georgia > Byzantium, made Revoke The Privilegia easy.

After that, I cleaned up Europe (bye bye Sweden), turned greyskin, enforced union on huge Russia, and quit with nothing left to do.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Playstation 4 posted:

Compromise, give ENG a core on it.

And give the Ottomans a core on Vienna.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

oddium posted:

yo did anyone mention there was a dev diary on tuesday about breaking north india down into more tags and also

So for other people who are really bad at interpreting this sort of thing here's what I make of the India trade changes:

Bengal: Link to Doab reversed, Doab is an inland node so expect a lot of trade to flow away thanks to caravan power. Bengal was previously one of the richest nodes so this doesn't seem unwarranted.

Doab: Will now gain a ton of trade value from Bengal, link to Lahore has reversed direction so trade can now flow directly away from India to the northwest without having to go through Gujarat which is a huge change.

Deccan: Now only important if you want to keep trade trapped in North India, as both paths away from Deccan lead back to Gujarat (directly and indirectly)

Lahore: Direct link to Persia node, and also now links to Gujarat. Only way out of India which leads up to Astrakhan etc. Node will generally be more important to own; before it was kind of garbage as it only controlled trade from Tibet and a chunk of north India and Afghanistan.

Gujarat: Now links directly to Zanzibar; due to other changes, it will likely be a much wealthier node and also no longer feeds any inland nodes, but will risk losing value to Zanzibar. Almost certain to be more important than previously.

Coromandel (AKA Ceylon): Now links direct to Cape so possible for Europeans to get trade from India and further East without going via Zanzibar. Interesting change.

Generally speaking it feels like trade will be situated more in the north and west of India than it does at the moment and it will be easier for both Europeans or a Middle Eastern power to suck trade away. No more easily locked down 'pseudo end nodes' in India which is probably bad news for the locals. But OTOH the region is about to get a big increase in wealth so this might just be needed to keep it from becoming rediculously brokenly full of money (Bengal node is already pretty close to this territory)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I love it when you're the HRE emperor trying to stamp down on the early protestant reformation and the centers spawn in countries that take forever to convert, thus making you unable to declare a war and force-convert them to erase the center. I've had Lubeck being a Center for almost 35 years, the whole country and several neiughbors turning, but the country religion never switches!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Great timing there, bud.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope you accepted that, stupid doom wars are the best

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I decided getting coalitioned in the 1700s was a better idea.

However the +70% Winged Hussars arrived. :unsmigghh:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Being a Stellaris and CK2 vet, is there is a "how to EU4 for babbys" guide I should look at before jumping in?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh my good lord you guys werent kidding when you said that playing as Native Americans means spending a hundred+ years on speed 5. :negative:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gyshall posted:

Being a Stellaris and CK2 vet, is there is a "how to EU4 for babbys" guide I should look at before jumping in?

Spain is probably best choice to start as these days. Or Ming.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Oh my good lord you guys werent kidding when you said that playing as Native Americans means spending a hundred+ years on speed 5. :negative:

Yeah, I am sure they'll come up with some mana bars to make them more interesting soon.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

sloshmonger posted:

Small tip: taking the Reform the Roman Empire decision removes all your provinces from the HRE, so do that after you Proclaim Erbkaisertum. Did that in a Orthrodox Ottoman > Georgia > Byzantium, made Revoke The Privilegia easy.

After that, I cleaned up Europe (bye bye Sweden), turned greyskin, enforced union on huge Russia, and quit with nothing left to do.

Hah, in this game I was actually planning to see if it would let me form fake-Russia. But I guess that doesn't remove your provinces from the Empire, does it?

Actually getting to be Emperor took forever because before I could get enough support they elected some idiot from the (still independent) Isles and he lived into his 70s. But finally. In the meantime I ate a bit more of the Mamluks and Muscovy, got a couple new Coptic vassals in eastern Africa, started on the colonization game, got the beginnings of a profitable trade network up and running.

Now the Imperial Authority growth rate is in the toilet because almost all the princes count as heretics (I suppose since the Emperor is Coptic everyone who isn't Coptic is a heretic, right?). Bohemia is a monster-blob and my strongest rival for the Empire. Actually it's also the strongest reformation I've seen, most of the empire is Reformed! Going to have some work to do to convert what princes I can and take/convert/break up larger states into more Coptic princes; just adding my own provinces (even as many as there are) won't suffice to pass all the reforms I need.

In Western Europe, Great Britain and France are both strong. Spain hasn't formed, Castile is pretty strong (and my ally) while Aragon is a mid-tier punching ball. In the New World, the usual suspects are growing their colonies, but as a non-Catholic I don't give a crap about the Pope's opinion and establish my own colonial nations alongside theirs. Give me my money, honey!

Timurids are still big and strong, I could take them in a straight fight but it would be too expensive at this point.

Groke fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 7, 2018

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Whoa, the hre just abolished itself in the 1580s. As best as I can tell, the bohemian emperor died while the league war was ongoing and his heir was a woman, but there were still catholic princes. Not sure why it just dissolved

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Fuligin posted:

Whoa, the hre just abolished itself in the 1580s. As best as I can tell, the bohemian emperor died while the league war was ongoing and his heir was a woman, but there were still catholic princes. Not sure why it just dissolved

That happened to me in an earlier game quite a while ago, didn't notice the circumstances well enough to figure out how... the bitter irony was that it gave me the achievement with no direct effort on my part, and it was in a game where I'd thought about actually trying to make it happen.

Game went sour for other reasons a bit later so I never got to exploit it much or see the long-term effects, but the medium-term effect was mainly a consolidation of previously Imperial territory into a shrinking number of states as the smallest fish got eaten by the slightly bigger ones.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Furnaceface posted:

It gets worse once you finally get rolling because state limit absolutely smothers you anyway. :v:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Gyshall posted:

At this thread's suggestion, I am in a Spain game where I restarted until I could get an alliance with France before unpausing. It gives you a lot of freedom since any continental action is going to see France at your back, and you can use that to obliterate Portugal and dominate trade coming from the new world and the indies.

Just try to build up your trust with France, once it's above 80 they'll automatically give up any cores/claims on you and pretty much be your best bud forever.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

JerikTelorian posted:

At this thread's suggestion, I am in a Spain game where I restarted until I could get an alliance with France before unpausing. It gives you a lot of freedom since any continental action is going to see France at your back, and you can use that to obliterate Portugal and dominate trade coming from the new world and the indies.

Just try to build up your trust with France, once it's above 80 they'll automatically give up any cores/claims on you and pretty much be your best bud forever.

Keeping Portugal as a colonizing vassal isn't a bad idea.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Keeping Portugal as a colonizing vassal isn't a bad idea.

I considered this, but 1.) I was jealous of them having any trade power in Seville at all and 2.) that seemed harder and I don't really know how to do it. I considered releasing them later but they'd have gotten a ton of their provinces and I still wanted them.

Do you still get trade power from the colonies of your vassals?

Beefeater1980 posted:

So question to the thread: how do you completely, utterly break the trade game so that you are rolling in impossibly huge numbers of ducats?

I too would like to know this.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 7, 2018

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I recently played as Spain and England and they were fun games, but I feel like it’s possible to totally break trade and I missed out. For reference, I maxed out at around 2-300 ducats trade income as UK IIRC, from a mixture of new world colonies, controlling the cape and India.

So question to the thread: how do you completely, utterly break the trade game so that you are rolling in impossibly huge numbers of ducats?

Relatedly, how do you make the most of the spice isles? I never quite know where or how much to colonise there and it’s a real pain to conquer all those fiddly little high attrition islands.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fuligin posted:

HRE.exe has encountered an unrecoverable error

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
tbh the HRE breaking down isn't counterfactual in the least; it's the HRE actually lasting in reality that's the nonsense really

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Beefeater1980 posted:

I recently played as Spain and England and they were fun games, but I feel like it’s possible to totally break trade and I missed out. For reference, I maxed out at around 2-300 ducats trade income as UK IIRC, from a mixture of new world colonies, controlling the cape and India.

Relatedly, how do you make the most of the spice isles? I never quite know where or how much to colonise there and it’s a real pain to conquer all those fiddly little high attrition islands.

I'm sure someone more qualified will chime in with actual learning advice, I suck at that... but basically what you want to do is:

1) have your main trade hub, where you collect trade, be in an end node (Genoa, Venice, English Channel); if that is impossible, you should strive to fully control a node that has only 1 downstream node, and dominate that too - e.g. have Zanzibar as your main node, fully dominate Cape. Collect in the main node while no one is going to pull any significant trade downstream since you're the only one that could actually do it

2) put merchants on nodes upstream of your main node that have 2 or more "exits", so you can steer trade in the direction you want (to your main node)

3) grab centers of trade, river estuaries and high DIP development provinces in your home node until you dominate it (70-75%+), then do the same in directly upstream nodes and of course colonial regions.

4) build light ships. A whole armada of them. Put them protecting trade in nodes where you want to increase your presence (usually not worth it in nodes that are already 70%+ under your control), normally that's your main node if you don't dominate it already, any directly upstream nodes, and the caribbean and ivory coast for colonial powers since that's where all the new world / spice islands trade tends to arrive, and they can be easily steered to Europe - remember the end goal is to make all the money go to your main node, so unless adding more ships to a node helps with that, it's kinda pointless. Don't waste time protecting trade, or building up colonies in nodes that can't be redirected to your main node unless you really don't have any other option!

5) add all eligible provinces to trade companies, who cares about a little tax and manpower when you could be instead be redirecting extra dozens of monthly ducats to your home node? Also avoids having to put down religious/cultural uprisings in those high attrition, remote areas

6) produce more goods as far upstream as you can with workshops and manufactories; since goods produced in provinces add up to determine the total trade value of a node, and since trade value always flows downstream and gets boosted the more nodes it travels through, if you build e.g. manufactories in Central America and carefully steer all that trade to the English Channel, by the time that sweet money gets there it'll have snowballed hugely. Try to grab as much trade as possible from everywhere that is linked to your main node and redirect it all to your home node. This will require a big navy, colonization and sometimes straight up conquering the savages for their centers of trade and juicy trade goods like ivory, dyes, silk, cocoa.

7) last but not least, go all in on trade modifiers. Grab any +trade efficiency any way you can, get more mercantilism, make the burghers happy, take trade ideas. It builds up.

If you can control a significant part of the new world / spice islands and steer trade properly with merchants, ships, trade companies etc... you can easily get 500 ducats/month or more from trade later in the game. I think I got to 750 as GB around 1700 owning literally all of the new world, and not much min-maxing effort since by then I had stopped caring about money at all

Edit: also trade is one of the most variable, fickle things in this game and it depends a lot on how other nations are doing in the trade nodes you're interested in. Sometimes you'll have free reign in a node, sometimes you'll hardly manage to steer a few ducats away depending on how strong and trade-focused your rivals are (and, as a wannabe trade hegemon, I mean whoever is interested in trading at all, not necessarily just your 3 main enemies)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 7, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

no...... you idiots..........

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fuligin posted:

'No valid emperor' dissolves the HRE but also 'a tie when the emperor's heir is a woman and there's no pragmatic sanction' because the emperor wins a tie (including a tie that doesn't include the emperor because ???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I've got a pretty fun little Brunswick -> Hanover run going on. Decided I wanted to be an ahistorical colonizer and strong regional power within the HRE, and not grow too big in Europe. I'm at a point where I have nice, pretty borders and well-developed land, plus a small but highly profitable colonial empire in the New World (historical Quebec, New England, and Central America).

My issue's with the decision to become Hanover. The tooltip says that you can only do it when you are A.) no longer part of the HRE, or B.) an Elector. On top of that, the wiki says that another way to satisfy the requirement is to become Emperor. So yeah, I'm Emperor and not an Elector, and I still can't take the Hanover decision. I guess the wiki is wrong, and it's a little frustrating (if for nothing else than it means I have to miss out on the sweet flag of Hanover and the non-generic national ideas).