Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked the Mars crew on the Donnager. Everyone else seem to be dumb as bricks.

The captain, or lieutenant, or whoever, that Bobbi was friendly with that got taken out (AN ASSASSIN? NANI?) over Ganymede was pretty cool. ...uh...actually, that's almost just about it. Dang. The fact that almost the only non-jarhead types we've seen have been in on the evil "start a war" plot, manipulating Bobbi, hasn't served the Mars cast well, and the only "random martian soldiers" were those assholes that stopped and searched crusher of asses to dust and his uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Hexel posted:

if that is the secret to crushing rear end to dust then sign me up

I have a feeling that if you ate that you would certainly crush at least your own rear end to dust.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't remember Mars proper ever showing up in the books except the novella about Bobbie and her family.

There's the part where (major book spoilers) Alex decided to use some time off to see his wife one last time, which he realizes was a bad idea after she basically calls him a loving rear end in a top hat. The description above as an endless series of malls or airports connected together pretty much squares with my memory of it - the only big thing was how empty they were, because a whole generation of martians is no longer staying home to terraform but rather seeking out other already-habitable worlds through the gates and the dream of Mars is dying.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im going to be so annoyed next episode when Anna do something stupid instead of going directly to the SG with that drat message

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The Errinwright drama is almost played out. Dude was showing Francis Urquhart levels of caddery in his aside with Anna. Good to see in a villain.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Terraforming Mars is STILL stupid as gently caress, because it doesn't have a magnetic dynamo and any atmo you give it will just be blown off by the sun.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Terraforming Mars is STILL stupid as gently caress, because it doesn't have a magnetic dynamo and any atmo you give it will just be blown off by the sun.

Over a period of thousands of years, it wouldn't happen overnight.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Collateral posted:

Over a period of thousands of years, it wouldn't happen overnight.

Millions. Even hundreds of millions. And the outflow could be easily balanced by whatever method you used to give it an atmosphere in the first place.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It's probably also a matter of pride and individualism now. Sure, fixing Earth is easier but have you seen Earthers recently? They're lazy and stupid. Us? We need to work for our world and we're going to have a world full of proud Martians

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Kassad posted:

As far as I'm aware, the current understanding is that terraforming would be pointless because Martian soil all over the planet is laced with toxic chemicals. Even with a denser, breathable atmosphere you'd still have to live in closed habitats and wear some kind of space suit to go outside. Assuming you can even keep the toxic fines out of your habitat to begin with.

For some reason I thought the evidence had started to swing away from perchlorates being ubiquitous, but I may have imagined that.

Kassad posted:

Also, Robinson wrote Aurora after he became aware of the perchlorate thing. It's also a good read.

Agreed. Not exactly uplifting, but definitely worth reading.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

They created one, see the aurora in the intro

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

logikv9 posted:

It's probably also a matter of pride and individualism now. Sure, fixing Earth is easier but have you seen Earthers recently? They're lazy and stupid. Us? We need to work for our world and we're going to have a world full of proud Martians

This is why I hate martians above all. They're all basically a bunch of Ayn Rand republicans and sound like it and I get enough of that IRL.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Toast Museum posted:

For some reason I thought the evidence had started to swing away from perchlorates being ubiquitous, but I may have imagined that.

Even if they are, it's not a show-stopper. Perchlorates are *useful*. One of the things they're useful for is as an oxygen source, which seems possibly relevant to colonizing Mars.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mars is fascist, Earth is neoliberal, belt is a soup of left thought

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

liberal, I'll grant but there's no version of neoliberalism that I know of that would approve of a concept like "basic".

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've never read the books, where is the martian economy supposed to lie on the free market - command economy spectrum

the only corporations i recall from the show seemed to be earth-based

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

liberal, I'll grant but there's no version of neoliberalism that I know of that would approve of a concept like "basic".

Its not perfect but I always viewed it as neoliberalism with basic out of necessity to prevent genocide or revolution

Like it's got the signifiers:

Ultra individualism

Primacy of corporation

Government as mere management

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zeal posted:

i've never read the books, where is the martian economy supposed to lie on the free market - command economy spectrum

Mars is kind of like a mixed economy but it's the duty of individuals and private enterprise to be subservient to the state and to work to strengthen the state

The entire society is mass mobilized for war and terraforming, if you don't fit in you're a useless eater

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Its not perfect but I always viewed it as neoliberalism with basic out of necessity to prevent genocide or revolution

Like it's got the signifiers:

Ultra individualism

Primacy of corporation

Government as mere management

Yep.

There's also some sort of underclass that for whatever reason doesn't even have access to basic allowance.

It's not hard to imagine it as an outgrowth of current "workfare" systems but in a world where even if you're forced to be continually applying for work and forced to accept the first work offered there is literally not enough work to be had.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The Belt is anarchist, their symbol is even adapted from the circled A, it's not subtle.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
ah, fascist, okay

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

zeal posted:

It's never really examined in-depth, but the impression I get is that the planet is essentially one massive company town. The terraforming effort touches on basically every element of society, and the actual infrastructure/project is privately owned, so even if there's technically democracy and free markets and all that bullshit on paper it's basically impossible to do anything they don't want you to. Not really a command economy in the leftist sense, but whoever owns the 'formers and their friends are a defacto monopoly and has a stranglehold on the whole society.

So yeah, beaten, basically fash.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 4, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phi230 posted:

Mars is kind of like a mixed economy but it's the duty of individuals and private enterprise to be subservient to the state and to work to strengthen the state

It has a distinctly Roman Republican vibe in that way. The state is the highest virtue, if you are simply benefiting yourself and not giving back to the state you're unacceptable.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Phi230 posted:

you're a useless eater

Doesn't Bobbie use this phrase in the book? It has, er, bad optics.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Also, the books make it very clear that Mars doesn't have a magnetic field, and that it's going to always be an issue for the planet.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Collateral posted:

Doesn't Bobbie use this phrase in the book? It has, er, bad optics.

:godwinning:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

hailthefish posted:

Yep.

There's also some sort of underclass that for whatever reason doesn't even have access to basic allowance.

It's not hard to imagine it as an outgrowth of current "workfare" systems but in a world where even if you're forced to be continually applying for work and forced to accept the first work offered there is literally not enough work to be had.

It seems to be that everyone is given "basic" if they opt into the system. However, there are people who refuse the requirements of basic, like going to gov't places for food/items/housing. The Earth gov't could just go around forcing people to register up, but they see that as causing more problems than it solves. So they try to encourage people to be a part of the system, and otherwise try to let the people off the grid not cause too much trouble.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The UN's probably fine with it. You don't want to sign up for Basic, okay sure that's one fewer person we have to deal with.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

The UN's probably fine with it. You don't want to sign up for Basic, okay sure that's one fewer person we have to deal with.

#thanoswasright

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like wrt to Earth, merely having money is a signifier of privilege and ppl get shocked when you use money for stuff

I found that analogous to neoliberalism's social tendency for people to save money for it's own sake and not to use it for material needs/luxuries

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

He wasn't, because the Earth clearly produces enough resources for a decent standard of living, but the allocation of those resources are concentrated in the hands of the wealthy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phi230 posted:

He wasn't, because the Earth clearly produces enough resources for a decent standard of living, but the allocation of those resources are concentrated in the hands of the wealthy

*extremely third worldist voice* only because of the exploitation of the Belt

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phi230 posted:

He also could just snap his fingers and make more stuff. :shrug:

But I think when we first met Bobbie she would have unironically agreed with Thanos w/r/t Earth. In fact, doesn't she say something to that effect before she meets Doctor Basic?

StashAugustine posted:

I noticed two things last episode: the Roci crew's clothing choice kind of reflects what the are clinging to. Holden with his Pur N Kleen, not wanting to take on his new, Quixotic role. Amos with his Martian uniform, Charlie Browning for a past he ran away from. Amos GNFs so he just wears whatever, but has his name on a crate full of stuff.

Quick tangent: I love Amos' "dead people don't need their stuff," throwaway line. Spoiler Alert and Amos Pro Tip: Alive People can be made into Dead People who then don't need their stuff. :eng101:

Back to uniforms: Bobbie with her recon gear and Avasalara wearing Julie's old racing jumper, both keeping reminders of what they are fighting for.

And then there is Naomi, still wearing the Beratanas jumpsuit from the Roci's disguise, which brings me to the second thing: that "beratna" is Belter Patois for "brother!" :monocle:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

shut it Naomi.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Phi230 posted:

That's why Holden had to be a product of like 4 different dads in order to hold onto all that land in Montana. Unless you're uber-wealthy like Mao you don't get to have all that much property.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Some land going cheap in the amazon.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Collateral posted:

Some land going cheap in the amazon.

:vince:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Going back to foodchat briefly, I've been reading the latest book and ran into a description:

quote:

heavily spiced and deep-fried balls of bean paste that Belters called red kibble.

Not mushrooms after all.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

bloom posted:

Going back to foodchat briefly, I've been reading the latest book and ran into a description:

Not mushrooms after all.
So basically falafel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
probably soy. textured vegetable protein, yum yum.