Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CombineThresher posted:

Isn't that their whole gimmick?

Fair enough. It's just that while their double-team stuff comes off as "I'm sure if they work on that, it'll look good eventually," this time it was them having absolutely no idea what they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

Fair enough. It's just that while their double-team stuff comes off as "I'm sure if they work on that, it'll look good eventually," this time it was them having absolutely no idea what they were doing.

They're still bad at that poo poo? They were dog poo poo when they debuted. I'm shocked they got such a hard push being so loving awful.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

They're still bad at that poo poo? They were dog poo poo when they debuted. I'm shocked they got such a hard push being so loving awful.

They became kind of okay for a while, but at yesterday's show they came off as completely lost. Their push has pretty much dried up anyway. After getting crushed by the Sendai Girls at Trios, they spent the rest of the year being outsmarted by Los Ice Creams and losing a blow-off to the Rumble Bees. Now we're at the point where the Closers are the heel tag champs and there are newer, more interesting heel teams out there. Crummels and Defarge cleaned up when the roster was at its worst, but now it's starting to figure itself out and they're being left in the dust.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Does it look like there's any chance at all Juan Francisco loses the belt anytime soon? My interest in the company has really waned throughout his reign

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chris James 2 posted:

Does it look like there's any chance at all Juan Francisco loses the belt anytime soon? My interest in the company has really waned throughout his reign

There's at least a story to it now. For most of his reign, it was just him having matches against established Chikara guys and winning. Now they're building to a rematch with Dasher, but who knows how long that will take to play out.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/beyondwrestling/status/981959303954358272?s=19

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

You will believe a half-assed luchadore can die

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Team #3!

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/983740588532076545

Team Get hosed, Jolly Roger

Meanwhile, a new YouTube video showed that the Whisper, disgusted that his sidekick Troll is absolutely worthless, handed him over to Professor Nicodemus and yelled, "Fix him!"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Does Jolly Roger even wrestle anymore? I kinda remember he was a good lookin enough guy he could slide on that for a bit.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

coconono posted:

Does Jolly Roger even wrestle anymore? I kinda remember he was a good lookin enough guy he could slide on that for a bit.
I would never consider Jolly or his brother Jigsaw as good looking

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

coconono posted:

According to Cagematch, he's still very active. It's just that last I checked, he was understandably very miffed with the company.

For a while they had Wrestling is Fun as the developmental promotion, which later became the sort of main promotion during the Ashes storyline. Outside of a KOT tag gauntlet, that was the only place you'd get to see Jolly Roger and Lance Steel, who became staples there. They had a unique dynamic where they were faces but their manager Kimber Lee was a heel and only Roger was aware of it. Then they did a promising storyline where Kimber Lee bought the Chikara tag belts off an online auction and gave them to Roger and Steel, leading to a brief feud with actual tag champs Jigsaw and Shard.

Then Chikara came back and it led to KOT 2014 where they had Jolly Roger/Lance Steel/Kimber Lee vs. Jigsaw/Shard/17. Kimber Lee was inexplicably a face and the match was mostly about trying to get her over, though there was a subplot in there about Jigsaw's pure reluctance to face Roger. Roger got his arm kayfabe broken, which not only wrote him off, but Steel and Jigsaw as well. Then they quietly discontinued Wrestling is Fun completely, so they were absolutely done with Roger and he wasn't happy with it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RealFoxy posted:

I would never consider Jolly or his brother Jigsaw as good looking

their straws stir my drink, if you know what I mean.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

coconono posted:

He wrestles as Tyler Murphy now, so he completely dropped the pirate gimmick. I think he mainly wrestles for NYWC.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They did Tag World today and after the first round of the tournament, they went to intermission. During intermission, they tend to just play a bunch of recent Chikara YouTube videos on loop. After a video on how the Rumble Bees will split up if they don't win Tag World, they accidentally put up a pre-match graphic for like 30 seconds of Oceanea/Merlock vs. Throwbacks for the tournament finals. Then immediately after, they replayed that Rumble Bees video. Several minutes later, the semis started. Whoops!

Anyway, the Throwbacks won in the end, becoming the first team to win two Tag Worlds (though Claudio is a two-time winner). There was also a storyline development where Oleg and Boar are now a team due to their hatred of Blank and his underlings.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

They did Tag World today and after the first round of the tournament, they went to intermission. During intermission, they tend to just play a bunch of recent Chikara YouTube videos on loop. After a video on how the Rumble Bees will split up if they don't win Tag World, they accidentally put up a pre-match graphic for like 30 seconds of Oceanea/Merlock vs. Throwbacks for the tournament finals. Then immediately after, they replayed that Rumble Bees video. Several minutes later, the semis started. Whoops!

Anyway, the Throwbacks won in the end, becoming the first team to win two Tag Worlds (though Claudio is a two-time winner). There was also a storyline development where Oleg and Boar are now a team due to their hatred of Blank and his underlings.

Rumble Bees vs Janelope was SO GOOD. Solo countered a Doomsday Device into a power slam and it looked amazing. Janela said tonight was his last match in CZW, so it would not surprise me to see him and Penelope become regulars in CHIKARA going forward.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

the team of Oleg and the Boar of War is gonna be Boarleg. What ever happened to Hype? I could see them being a Trio.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

the team of Oleg and the Boar of War is gonna be Boarleg. What ever happened to Hype? I could see them being a Trio.

I didn't even notice that Hype is missing from both the roster and alumni pages. Huh. He won his feud with Race, challenged for the title, lost and now he's gone.

Anyway, Jakob Hammermeier is confirmed for Infinite Gauntlet and I'm PUMPED.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DM Punk posted:

Rumble Bees vs Janelope was SO GOOD. Solo countered a Doomsday Device into a power slam and it looked amazing. Janela said tonight was his last match in CZW, so it would not surprise me to see him and Penelope become regulars in CHIKARA going forward.

Janela doing Chikara would be weird since his schtick really works when its R-rated. I'd start watching Chikara more if he did tho.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

coconono posted:

Janela doing Chikara would be weird since his schtick really works when its R-rated. I'd start watching Chikara more if he did tho.

It works in a weird way. He's more goofy and stuff. It's like he wresting while also babysitting a 5 year old child and must be on his best behavior.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

The same is true of Chuck Taylor and he did fine there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gavok posted:

Anyway, Jakob Hammermeier is confirmed for Infinite Gauntlet and I'm PUMPED.

It was really weird that his last match was that hair vs hair match and then he was gone for two years

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It was really weird that his last match was that hair vs hair match and then he was gone for two years

The Donst vs. Loudspeaker thing? Jakob wasn't gone for that long if you count his time as fake Dr. Cube. Otherwise, it was just a little over a year.

Also pretty sure he was the Polar Baron from Wrestling is Fun, meaning they at least gave him something to do during that time.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Gavok posted:

The Donst vs. Loudspeaker thing? Jakob wasn't gone for that long if you count his time as fake Dr. Cube. Otherwise, it was just a little over a year.

Also pretty sure he was the Polar Baron from Wrestling is Fun, meaning they at least gave him something to do during that time.

No he had a hair vs hair match against Eddie Kingston like two years ago at Wrestlefactory

Or it wasn't a hair vs hair match and Eddie just beat and shaved him for giggles

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No he had a hair vs hair match against Eddie Kingston like two years ago at Wrestlefactory

Or it wasn't a hair vs hair match and Eddie just beat and shaved him for giggles

Ah, right. Yeah, Cagematch just has it as Eddie getting DQ'd and just plain murdering Jakob.

Insane king Jakob was fun times. I miss his weekly BDK segment on YouTube where he'd just sit on a throne and say random crap.

"Well, if Fenix can say it, I think I should be able to too! *deep breath* FFFF--"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gavok posted:

Ah, right. Yeah, Cagematch just has it as Eddie getting DQ'd and just plain murdering Jakob.

Yeah, it was crazy uncomfortable live because it was violent to a level that was way beyond the rest of the card.

I have to admit I was never a big fan of Eddie in Chikara. I think he's a fantastic talent, but his stiff style and no frills gimmick always felt like screeching brakes for the card.

Its like

Wow, we just saw two ants wrestle men dressed like ice cream

our main event is a disney princess versus an evil sentai warlock

but up next a very angry man is going to elbow some dude in the face until he stops moving

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, it was crazy uncomfortable live because it was violent to a level that was way beyond the rest of the card.

I have to admit I was never a big fan of Eddie in Chikara. I think he's a fantastic talent, but his stiff style and no frills gimmick always felt like screeching brakes for the card.

Its like

Wow, we just saw two ants wrestle men dressed like ice cream

our main event is a disney princess versus an evil sentai warlock

but up next a very angry man is going to elbow some dude in the face until he stops moving

I don't know, I really felt like it was kind of refreshing, especially against someone who could really give it right back. Eddie vs Icarus at Not Without My Daughter (back in October 2015) was fantastic because they both were looking like they had something to fight for and I loved it.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I hated Eddie as a babyface because he always sold his injured leg for the entire match and it sucked.

However, all that is forgiven after watching his High Noon promo because OMG that promo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1AGjIQKxNE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Eddie Kingston promos often ended up being my favourite part of Chikara shows. Especially around the time him and Larry Sweeney had their feud.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

forkboy84 posted:

Eddie Kingston promos often ended up being my favourite part of Chikara shows. Especially around the time him and Larry Sweeney had their feud.

I love Eddie because you could see that the parents with kids had fun watching the Ice Creams and the flippy-doos, but when Eddie came out. Everyone knew it was time for 'rasslin' and a beating laid down.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I love Eddie because you could see that the parents with kids had fun watching the Ice Creams and the flippy-doos, but when Eddie came out. Everyone knew it was time for 'rasslin' and a beating laid down.

Yeah, he was a nice change of pace on the card for sure.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I always saw Eddie Kingston as what it would have been like if Bad News Brown was the top face in late-80s WWF.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Didn't get a chance to catch today's show, but a new King of Trios team was announced.

https://twitter.com/CHIKARApro/status/990324546422083584

Teams announced so far:

- The Nexus Alliance (PJ Black, Michael Tarver and Fred Rosser)
- The New Republic (Princess KimberLee, El Hijo del Ice Cream and Ice Cream, Jr.)
- The Ohanaka Gang (Jean-Pierre Lafitte, Katie Lea Burchill and Rey Bucanero)
- Juan Francisco de Coronado, Rick Rolland and Sloan Caprice

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
CHIKARA show was good. Nothing amazing happened though besides Crossbones pants falling down and them having to go almost immediately to the finish. Kobald's tweeets about it afterwards seem to indicate was not happy at all with Crossbones.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It was the first time seeing Chikara in a while(since BDK ran its course) and it was pretty awesome. They got their production down slick. I know Quack gets a lot of poo poo for comic book storylines but he really hits the "maybe I should grab a few back issues to get the whole story" part. I liked the video packages running down the angles for matches and ongoing feuds. All pretty clear cut even when the stuff being shown is absolutely batshit.

If I wasn't already critically over budget on streaming services, I'd be all over the Chikara stuff.

random thoughts:
I liked Bakabella on commentary because he's got the grizzled vet schtick down. Even worked a little blue in spots but still managed to keep it PG.

Icarus has gotten better on the mic.

Seeing Kimber come back was wild. I'd forgotten the ace of chikara was a woman that hits way out of her weightclass and looks fuckin fabulous doing it.

Ditto for Solo Darling. She's so cool.

I dug Oceania's crazy evil ways.

Chikara is cool.

The intermission match with Quack running down hold after hold shows me he shoulda called Bloodsport.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So at the last Hour of Power, Sylverhawk got his rear end kicked by Oceanea and Merlok so bad that he's off the roster and now in the alumni section. Meanwhile, Danjerhawk is a new member of the team who will be debuting at this Saturday's Infinite Gauntlet.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gavok posted:

So at the last Hour of Power, Sylverhawk got his rear end kicked by Oceanea and Merlok so bad that he's off the roster and now in the alumni section. Meanwhile, Danjerhawk is a new member of the team who will be debuting at this Saturday's Infinite Gauntlet.

https://twitter.com/danjerhawk2000/status/990781091635236865

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Infinite Gauntlet is on Saturday and other than KOT, it's the one show that isn't streaming live since it's not at the Wrestle Factory. Here's the list of entrants:

Regular roster:

- Oceanea
- Merlok
- Hermit Crab
- Lucas Calhoun
- Hallowicked
- Officer Warren Barksdale
- Blank
- Hype Rockwell
- Dasher Hatfield
- Frantik
- Volgar
- Callux
- Solo Darling
- Travis Huckabee
- Kobald
- Jeremy Leary
- Thief Ant
- Juan Francisco de Coronado
- Fire Ant
- Still Life with Apricot and Pears
- Ursa Minor in the Night Sky
- Icarus
- Cajun Crawdad
- Green Ant
- Whisper
- Blanche Babish
- El Hijo del Ice Cream
- Danjerhawk (debuting)
- Kimber Lee

Guests from yesteryear:

- Glacier
- Grizzly Redwood
- Flex Rumblecrunch
- Jakob Hammermeier

Other matches include Mr. Touchdown vs. Mr. Anderson, Quackenbush vs. Arik Cannon, a four-way elimination tag match and the Xyberhawx 2000 vs. the Closers for the tag titles.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I wonder why this show isn't running at the WF. Almost seems like its a sold show or something. I can't think of any other reason for them having it in such a weird location.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

I wonder why this show isn't running at the WF. Almost seems like its a sold show or something. I can't think of any other reason for them having it in such a weird location.

The poster advertising the show has a few sponsors on it (a retirement firm, lawyers and a restaurant), so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I didn't read the full results because I want to watch the show once it's available, but the winner of the Infinite Gauntlet is the debuting Danjerhawk.

Can't say I saw that coming.