Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The 2013 Mac Pro

It cost me about $8,000.

I've had to get the GPU's replaced repeatedly. I'm currently on GPU 4 and 5. It constantly has issues, mostly caused by overheating, in spite of the fact that I keep it in a well ventillated, cool, air conditioned spot.

Guess what? You can't cram a tower worth of computer parts into a tiny little cylinder and "cool" it with one single fan! The laws of thermodynamics still apply to you no matter how "bold" and "innovative" you are.

I've never been an Apple "fanboy" but this has actually caused me so much frustration that I've built a PC and switched to Windows full time. I have no loyalty to a company that blatantly disrespects their customers.
source your quotes

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Incidentally my 2006 Mac Pro still works fine, although it's a bit outdated maybe.
Actually EVERY mac I own from the return of Steve era still works.

I guess that's why the modern Apple makes so much more money, you sell more crap when everyone has to replace their computers every two years!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

I guess that's why the modern Apple makes so much more money, you sell more crap when everyone has to replace their computers every two years!

It's not even a joke. This is their strategy for all of their products.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TheCoach posted:

That piece of poo poo was 8 GRAND ?

You can right now get a 48 core 96 thread dual cpu server with 64 gigs of ram from dell for that kinda money.

this to me is on the level of paying thousands of dollars for star citizen spaceships or MONSTER golden cables.

i stilll love how monster cables bought a superbowl ad to dis apple earbuds

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

i stilll love how monster cables bought a superbowl ad to dis apple earbuds

a reminder that monster getting completely loving owned by apple and beats is one of the greatest ownings in the history of ownings.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

a reminder that monster getting completely loving owned by apple and beats is one of the greatest ownings in the history of ownings.
its is basically the greatest story ever told

the best part is how one of the nastiest, most litigious companies in the tech industry got completely filleted and devoured when it tried to swim with the real sharks of the music/entertainment industry

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

also source your quotes, cinci

https://reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/8glsb3/_/dycv0ft/?context=1

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

monster mostly sucks but otoh fleecing audiophiles is a noble goal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Audiophiles won't use anything that you can get at Best Buy. Monster was more about fleecing grandmas when they bought a new tv

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

Incidentally my 2006 Mac Pro still works fine, although it's a bit outdated maybe.
Actually EVERY mac I own from the return of Steve era still works.

i'm glad i got the last good mbp, an early 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

Audiophiles won't use anything that you can get at Best Buy. Monster was more about fleecing grandmas when they bought a new tv

well them and prosumer idiots who believe more money = better when they go to buy their home theatre

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

tomorrow I take my father to the Apple store to buy his first iPhone and ditch his Samsung which he now hates because it is stuffed with apps he can't delete, it keeps re-enabling those apps via android updates that he says completely change how the phone interface works, and because google.

hopefully it goes smoothly. I'll probably try to talk him into getting AppleCare+ for the 2 year tech support

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

newest macos update broke displayport passthrough for docks

good work timb

nah, it broke displaylink, which is an intentionally-confusingly-named 3rd party USB video dock thing.

displayport passthrough still works.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Doc Block posted:

nah, it broke displaylink, which is an intentionally-confusingly-named 3rd party USB video dock thing.

displayport passthrough still works.

my work is cheap and this is what i get and also: welp

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

it keeps re-enabling those apps via android updates

you can at least make an attempt to make your stories believable

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
too bad the trashcan pro doesn't even make a good trashcan

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Millstone posted:

too bad the trashcan pro doesn't even make a good trashcan

that’s why russians call it the ashtray mac

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

I'm sorry, but if you saw the trash can pro and though "this is a product I should buy" then joke's on you.

i thought about it for a hot second but the ati gpus were an obvious joke on the owner

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the russians used an actual trashcan :smugvlad:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the russians used an actual trashcan :smugvlad:

https://imgur.com/gallery/fgJEs

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

can someone give me the gist of this please

I've had it in for Monster Cables™ ever since I learned they literally sued the movie Monsters, Inc. and I want to learn more

Please tell me Noel Lee lives under a bridge now?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've had it in for Monster Cables™ ever since I learned they literally sued the movie Monsters, Inc. and I want to learn more

the basic summary would be

you know "beats by dre"

guess who paid to develop all of them and doesn't have any ip or rights for it because the founder sent his idiot son to negotiate the deal

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 4, 2018

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
monster accusing apple of being a bully after pulling them out of mfi and issuing a cease and desist to make anything for apple products because of monster suing beats and in association apple was pretty lol , and to this day they are still barred from making mfi products.

was quite the self owning by monster

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

https://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

quote:

It's the classic David vs Goliath story—with one minor edit: David gets his rear end kicked and is laughed out of the arena. This is the inside story of one of the all time worst deals in tech.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

exploded mummy posted:

the basic summary would be

you know "beats by dre"

guess who paid to develop all of them and doesn't have any ip or rights for it because the founder sent his idiot son to negotiate the deal

“suicide by nepotism” should be a genre of corporate case studies on its own

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you're supposed to stick your idiot children in the marketing org or somewhere else where they can't do much damage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

you're supposed to stick your idiot children in the marketing org or somewhere else where they can't do much damage

this explains all those playstation ads with black people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

from there its a quick hop to business development and from there negotiating big deals...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lmao I wonder how they Diamond Tears (actual name) line of headphones are doing??

pram
Jun 10, 2001

loving lol at monsters products

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

nice sex toys

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pram posted:

nice but will it suck yo-

mm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i'm guessing their square enix deus ex tie in didn't go well

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

I didn't ask for this

in fact nobody asked for this

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

a lot of them go to sales where they can inflict plenty of damage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
crapple just can't get those keypresses down

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
are they gonna announce new ipads at wwdc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i doubt it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if they were it would have leaked by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

buncha my students have the new macbook keyboard and whenever i'm showing them some code or w/e it's all can do to stop myself from commenting on how bad it is