Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

stupid movies like .... Captain America 2

Winter Soldier loving rules though :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Winter Soldier is still the best MCU movie fight me about it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Depending on the day, I shift between whether Winter Soldier or Civil War is my favorite of the Captain America films. Winter Soldier is probably a better standalone movie, but Civil War has got the debut of Spider-Man and that's loving awesome.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Abroham Lincoln posted:

For me its tossup between Winter Soldier and Dr. Strange. Winter Soldier is just a dope action film, bar none. Instead of doing some Harry Potter bullshit, Strange turned into a full on drugs film. It was fuckin great.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I have only seen a few Marvel movies:
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 1 & 2
Civil War
Batista and Friends 1 & 2

I think that’s it

Will I be totally lost watching Infinity War or is it mostly a stand alone thing?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m still using a 720p tv.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 1 & 2
Civil War

I think that’s it

Will I be totally lost watching Infinity War or is it mostly a stand alone thing?

I haven't seen it yet but going off previous MCU stuff you probably won't be outright lost necessarily in terms of following the general plot but at best you'll miss out on a ton of references, callbacks, Easter eggs, and some jokes.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

St Evan Echoes posted:

Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 1 & 2
Civil War

I think that’s it

You might be a little confused to start but the movie makes it clear near the beginning who Thanos is, what he wants, why, and how so you'll be fine.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

fart blood posted:

I’m still using a 720p tv.

32 inch 720p over here. I've got a bigger living room now and I'd like more HDMI inputs so I might upgrade in the near future, but it's served my needs fine since 2005 or so. Only buying Nintendo consoles helps.

I'm also driving a 2002 vehicle I got for free despite having a pretty good job. I may be overly cautious with money. And unconcerned about keeping up with the Joneses I guess.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 5, 2018

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I may be overly cautious with money.

Same. But I'd rather be cautious than broke.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

fart blood posted:

Same. But I'd rather be cautious than broke.

This. I was broke, now I'm cautious and not-quite-broke. The fear of being "elderly poor" was part of my mid-life crisis.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
All right all right I meant stupid in a "popcorn movie" way. I agree cap 2 is probably their best or drat close to it. But to me they are just big blockbusters with no emotional lasting impact.
I will go slam my dick with a thesaurus while playing nakamura's theme now.

Also until this new tv I was rocking a 65" dlp (so 720) for 13 years. That is one of the reasons i got a new tv. I think 13 years is good enough. The dlp tv still works too. I gave it to a friend.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

do any of yall use letterboxd?

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

yea ok posted:

I staple curtains to my tv whenever I put in my pan and scan DVD copy of "Jurassic Park" to get that sweet letterbox look

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

yea ok posted:

I'm probably gonna finally bite the bullet and make an account there soon. I've always liked people's reviews there and at the very least it seems like a fun film-watching social network

Plus I need a safe space to vent my hot takes about both the Alien series under Ridley Scott, and the Fast and Furious series in general

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Why would I fight you for having such a correct opinion?

Black Panther might barely edge it out though. I need it to come out on video so I can get to the same number of viewings.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ragnarok is up there too

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm probably gonna finally bite the bullet and make an account there soon. I've always liked people's reviews there and at the very least it seems like a fun film-watching social network

Plus I need a safe space to vent my hot takes about both the Alien series under Ridley Scott, and the Fast and Furious series in general

To quote Ed Byrne...

quote:

This summer, from acclaimed director Ridley Scott, Alien 7 - The Whole Thing's Just loving Ruined Now

I still haven't finished Alien: Isolation. I got to the Reactor and said "nope, gently caress this."

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I am the only one that liked Prometheus aren't I?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

St Evan Echoes posted:

Captain America
Thor
Iron Man 1 & 2
Civil War

I think that’s it

If you know what the Infinity Stones are, you'll be better off when watching Infinity War though you still should be okay.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I am the only one that liked Prometheus aren't I?

I enjoyed it too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I started watching Spider-Man and the bit where Michael Keaton opens the front door :vince:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

St Evan Echoes posted:

I started watching Spider-Man and the bit where Michael Keaton opens the front door :vince:

The whole theater reacted at that point. I can't believe the MCU made the Vulture of all people a bad-rear end villain with believable motives. Shame my boy the Shocker (Herman, not the other jabroni) got jobbed out.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Jackie D posted:

Ragnarok is up there too

I’m like 90% sure there won’t be another mcu movie that I like as much as I liked Ragnarok. It felt like it was made specifically for me.

I also really liked Docror Strange.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m gonna watch Ragnarok because it looks funny, and the Dr S because drugs are cool

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

I’m gonna watch Ragnarok because it looks funny, and the Dr S because drugs are cool

Everything in the MCU is Good on some level. The last shot of Spider Man before the credits made me guffaw and was wonderful by the way.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'd like the MCU a lot more if it didn't undercut its own material so much. You don't gotta wink and nod at the audience so much, sometimes just let heavy moments be heavy. Infinity War was guilty of this in parts as well. Black Panther for the most part wasn't guilty of it at all so I like that more than most of the rest of the MCU.

It is guilty of the MCU's other major sin though, really lame final battles. It's "fight with grey army" and "lame mirror match against guy with the same powers as the hero" pretty much all the way down. Infinity War managed to mostly avoid that via Thanos being a loving badass at least (mostly, there's still a lameass grey army, and that's not really a spoiler, since it's in the trailer).

Ragnarok is kinda the perfect MCU movie because it avoids my complaint by going "Uh, yeah, that's the point." It just completely turns into the skid and for that, I respect it.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 5, 2018

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The last shot of Spider Man before the credits made me guffaw and was wonderful by the way.
:same:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Strange is extremely good. And Spiderman. And Ragnarok. And Black Panther. Basically all of the MCU movies from the last 2 years or so have been excellent. Seeing Infinity War tonight!

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

VJeff posted:

I'd like the MCU a lot more if it didn't undercut its own material so much. You don't gotta wink and nod at the audience so much, sometimes just let heavy moments be heavy.

Amen. I actually felt this a lot with Batista & Friends 2. They wouldn't let up with the jokes for a single fuckin second. (Still liked the movie overall, just could have been better for a few reasons, none of them being Batista because he is :perfect:).

VJeff posted:

It is guilty of the MCU's other major sin though, really lame final battles.

Testify. Doctor Strange probably had my favorite final battle. Totally unlike any of the others.

VJeff posted:

Ragnarok is kinda the perfect MCU movie because it avoids my complaint by going "Uh, yeah, that's the point." It just completely turns into the skid and for that, I respect it.

Also synthwave. And Hulk suplexing a giant loving wolf lmao

gently caress I'm gonna end up watching Thor 3 and Dr. Strange today, aren't I.

WrasslorMonkey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 5, 2018

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

doctor strange is a subtle gateway to chaos magick for the masses, and that is cool as gently caress

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

not sure how i felt about Aunt May being hot as balls, seems weird

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

St Evan Echoes posted:

not sure how i felt about Aunt May being hot as balls, seems weird

Prefer Amazing Spider-Man Aunt May, her weird hospital subplot in the second one aside. The Amazing Spider-Man movies had a lot of neat, underrated stuff that's totally gone now because Sony is real bad at movies. :(

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mgsv loving sucked

JDGreat
Jan 26, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

Winter Soldier loving rules though :mad:

Agreed 100%. That knife fight still gives me chills watching it as well as when Cap busts out a Tiger Knee.

Also, first post in a long time on here. Usual resident lurker. Popping in to say hi and that today has been a Good Day. Football team won 2-1, easy day at work, sun is out and shining and seeing Avengers for the second time tonight.

With a group who haven't seen it yet. Relishing the idea of their reactions

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I wish they'd make another Hulk movie. They struck out with Eric Bana, and Edward Norton was an excellent Bruce Banner but his movie was kinda botched and his Mike Deodato inspired Hulk didn't translate to screen as well as they'd thought.

But they got a great Banner AND Hulk in Ruffalo, and thus they should capitalize on it.

Then again, I'd be pleasuring myself in the theater if they make a movie based on Peter David's grey Hulk, or the Peter David/Gary Frank "Merged Hulk in the Pantheon" run, so I'm a bit dated in my tastes.

Just not the Bruce Jones run. Oh god no not that please.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ed Norton was loving awesome as Hulk, I really miss him. Apparently he was tough to work with, though.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VJeff posted:

Ed Norton was loving awesome as Hulk, I really miss him. Apparently he was tough to work with, though.

It's unfortunate because the movie he was in was so inconsistent. Edward Norton, William Hurt, and Tim Roth were excellent casting (though the Americanized Emil Blonsky triggers the long time Hulk fan in me :mad:), but then you got the weird as gently caress casting of Liv Tyler as Betty and the even weirder Modern Family Dad as Leonard Samson. Then you get the goofy looking fake as hell Hulk CGI, and well the movie just fell apart, sadly.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i didnt watch the andrew garfield spiderman movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

St Evan Echoes posted:

i didnt watch the andrew garfield spiderman movies

I watched the first one and I liked it a lot, but it immediately loses a star because Dennis Leary is in it but regains half a star because Leary dies in it.