Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Any helpful tips for for Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

homewrecker posted:

Any helpful tips for for Ys VIII : Lacrimosa of Dana ?
Hey I just beat this

Most of the stuff you'd care about missing are side quests, which can lead to boosting the approval of your castaways (affects performance during raids and the ending). For the most part none of these should ever be missable so long as you check the board after major plot scenes, but I remember two distinct parts that I had to look up:

-When you get the ability to breathe underwater, you will fight a certain boss. Return to the boss's lair after beating it to pick up the Lombardia's sign, it's a gift to a certain castaway.
-There is a quest in the village involving composing a song for a castaway; the quest is started in the village but you need to go to Eternia to talk to a muse to get the needed lyrics to complete it. This is not immediately obvious because there will not be a quest icon IIRC in Eternia.
-Not necessarily a sidequest, but there is also one gift that is obtained by getting Rank A in one of the later game raids, this is the only plot-relevant item you get from a raid as far as I know. Getting Rank A is pretty easy so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

That's about it, everything else should be pretty self-explanatory. Explore as much as you are able to, try to hit every green/blue marker on the map (sometimes they will hide new castaways), and trek on. It's not a particularly hard game otherwise.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Great, thanks for the quick and helpful response!

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Anything for Yakuza 6?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nohman posted:

Anything for Yakuza 6?

Theres nothing earth shattering to be said really:

If you are wanting to repopulate the cat cafe, stock up on cat food while in Kamurocho, when you get to Onomichi theres only one shop that sells it and they only sell two flavours. Some cats dont particularly like either of those flavours.

In Onomichi, around chapter 6-ish if you investigate the dock you'll see a pile of fish on the end. Interacting with this opens up the spear fishing minigame, which is a decent money maker.

The clan creator minigame opens up in around the same chapter. Its fairly straightforward and also makes you decent money. Advancing this opens up the black market.

Theres nothing in the black market really worth buying except the good speargun which makes the fishing much easier.

In the last chapter you have the ability to switch back and forth between Kamurocho and Onomichi. Until then you are limited to the map the current chapter takes place in.

if you pick up a photograph of a character from a previous game, try using your phone camera and taking a picture in the place you found it.

Anything that pops up on the Troublr app is essentially a mini sidequest. If you ignore it it'll fail and you get a message guilting you for not helping, but any ones you fail or dont complete will cycle round again so dont interrupt what you are doing for them unless you feel like it.

Club SEGA on Nakamichi St. is the one with Puyo Puyo and Virtua Fighter. The one on theater square just has the games from yakuza 0 plus darts.

RIZAP sells protein powders and stuff that give you skill points. They also restore you to full health, which makes them better in a boss fight than any of the healing drinks, so once money is no longer an object you should grab a few of those.

Substory specific: If you want to buy a photo as a gift for someone but it seems a bit expensive, leave for a while and come back.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Any tips for starting out in They Are Billions?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm nowhere near good enough at the game to give any significant advice, but here's a tip: things can go bad fast. Don't try to stretch your self thinner than absolutely necessary, especially early on, or you might not notice a single zombie slip in and ravage your residential quarters without a chance in hell of recovering.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Never played a Far Cry before, but a video by Noah Caldwell Gervais reminded me of my free copy of Blood Dragon. Anything annoying or untoward I should know about?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Never played a Far Cry before, but a video by Noah Caldwell Gervais reminded me of my free copy of Blood Dragon. Anything annoying or untoward I should know about?
It's a pastiche of 80s action B-movies with all that implies, so don't expect it to be serious or to make any sense. It's a side game to Far Cry 3 the studio put out more or less for the hell of it, so it's comparatively more shallow than its parent game.

Otherwise, it's a pretty bog-standard open world first person shooter with leveling mechanics and all that usual Ubisoft crap. If you've ever played the Ubisoft Game (you know, the one they've been remaking over and over since Assassins' Creed 1) then you pretty much already know everything there is to know, the basic mechanics of the game are pretty much just the usual.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

One thing that is a little hard to notice on its own is that your character can cyber-jump just high enough to trigger drop takedowns on enemies. Use this to your advantage.

Other than that it's pretty straightforward with character progression etc. It's not a particularly difficult game as your character is deliberately OP from the beginning, compared to the base campaign.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One of the animals you need to hunt is only found in a hunting mission side-quest, but you should be doing all the side-quests anyway.

e: very important: hitting the melee button when you're not in knifing range flips people off. This can be spammed.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I'm nowhere near good enough at the game to give any significant advice, but here's a tip: things can go bad fast. Don't try to stretch your self thinner than absolutely necessary, especially early on, or you might not notice a single zombie slip in and ravage your residential quarters without a chance in hell of recovering.

Thanks -- I started out my first game exploring as much as I could, and that didn't seem like a great idea. I better go read up on this -- seems like there are a lot of ways to go wrong early on and run into those Billions.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Might & Magic VII? Gonna try to get through some of my GOG backlog and that's what random chance chose

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TheHoosier posted:

Might & Magic VII? Gonna try to get through some of my GOG backlog and that's what random chance chose

As part of the main quest plotline, you will need to make a decision between two sides at one point. If you find yourself stuck and it seems as if there is no way for you to progress anymore, travel back to Harmondale and see if that doesn't trigger it for you. The quest is a bit random and glitchy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I created a page for Battletech, take a look and see if there is anything else that should be added:

code:
* Pilot incapacitation does not necessarily mean death. They may survive the fight with heavy injuries.

* Hit locations are heavily dependent on facing. Rotate your torso to expose heavily armored or lesser damaged sides. 
A valid tactic is to heavily armor one side of your mech to use a "shield".

* Melee attacks and Death from Above (DoA) will fire all of your support weapons as well as causing heavy damage to a single hit location.

* Vehicles take double damage from melee and DoA. Stomp those tanks!

* Autocannons suffer recoil penalties to their hit rolls if fired in consecutive turns. 

* The morale skill Vigilance can be used before moving, and does not take up an action for a mech's turn.

* Do not be afraid to withdraw from a tough fight that isn't worth the losses you'll take. If you can manage to accomplish one goal of the
mission before withdrawing, the client will count it as "in good faith", and award you partial pay.

* Destroyed mechs leave salvage for you to collect after the mission; it takes 3 pieces to build a full mech. Destroying the head or killing the 
pilot will leave 3 parts. Destroying both legs will leave 2, and coring a mech (destroying the center torso) leaves 1. Be sure to negotiate for 
enough salvage if you are trying to obtain full mechs from a mission.

* Brace a mech that is at high stability! Enemies will relentlessly called shot your knocked down mechs. 

* It may be better to eject a pilot and be down a man than lose the pilot permanently. The eject button is a small red square on the 
bottom left of the screen, in the mech readout window.

* When refitting mechs, Yang will perform every action you take, including shifting things around to make them fit. For instance, 
if you click "max armor" to see how much you can fit, then strip it to keep fitting things, he will apply all the armor and then remove 
it all when you finalize. This sucks up money and time; be careful with your loadouts!

* Components will not appear as salvage if they are destroyed during the fight. If you want the AC/20 on that Hunchback, but he is 
doing work on you with it, blow out his ammo rather than the gun itself. 

* Enemy targets will focus fire on whatever attacked them for 2 turns after the fact. Use this to protect priority targets and attract fire to your heavier armored units.

* The game suffers from extended pauses during all attacks, which can severely drag out the already slower paced combat. These pauses 
are in place to make sure audio clips play properly ("I'm hit!", "Enemy mech down!"), but there is a way to eliminate these pauses and smooth combat out. 
This change is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

– Go to:
    Steam folder\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\constants

– Change the following lines in “audioconstants.json” so that they look like this:

“AttackPreFireDuration” : 0,
    “AttackAfterFireDelay” : 0,
    “AttackAfterFireDuration” : 0,
    “AttackAfterCompletionDuration” : 0
    “audioFadeDuration” : 0,

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 7, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Good stuff man, thanks!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Battletech stuff

I'd add some minor clarification to some of your points:
The chance of surviving pilot incapacitation scales with the pilots Guts skill
The autocannon recoil penalty does not scale up on multiple turns, it stays at a -1 even if you fire 50 turns in a row.
Ejecting your pilot destroys the Head of the mech you ejected from, and prevents you from using the mech for the rest of the mission, but otherwise has no penalty. It doesn't damage your pilot and you still get the mech back. This is even on "escape" missions where you eject and are not in the evac area.
Melee attacks ignore Evasion, so if that annoying Light or Medium strays too close, run up and punch the poo poo out of it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zaodai posted:

I'd add some minor clarification to some of your points:
The chance of surviving pilot incapacitation scales with the pilots Guts skill
The autocannon recoil penalty does not scale up on multiple turns, it stays at a -1 even if you fire 50 turns in a row.
Ejecting your pilot destroys the Head of the mech you ejected from, and prevents you from using the mech for the rest of the mission, but otherwise has no penalty. It doesn't damage your pilot and you still get the mech back. This is even on "escape" missions where you eject and are not in the evac area.
Melee attacks ignore Evasion, so if that annoying Light or Medium strays too close, run up and punch the poo poo out of it.

Awesome, I'll update that stuff, thanks.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'll give this a shot - this game is one of my favorites atm.

I left out so much important stuff for starting out.

You’ll end up developing your own pattern/approach but:

First thing is to pause the game IMMEDIATELY once it starts.

You can pause the game at any time for as long as you want.

Use pause often.

Buildings/walls/orders placed incorrectly can be removed without penalty while paused.

First building should produce food. That includes those cracks in the ground that can allow a fisherman’s hut.

More Food means more houses(Tents) which then means more Workers and more Gold.

Food/Housing/Energy - you will constantly be building these.

You want to clear out the immediate area around your command center ASAP. You need room to grow but you don't want to grow too fast since you'll run into "runner" zombies that are a pain in the early game.

Believe it or not but a group of 4-6 Rangers can clear a shitload of the immediate area around your command center. Be careful to not attract too many before you have Great Ballistas. If you are unlucky you cause a bunch of runners coming at your barely started colony which can happen quickly.

Each map is different and depending on the layout you'd want to change up your build order but generally ~ for me at least. Do NOT waste time/resources on walls until before the 3rd Hoard which is around 25/35 days in a 100 Day game. Of course still build ballista - but don’t worry about full fledged walls until before 3rd hoard.

Always Expand (to choke points when possible).

Expand East or West - North and South contain the most specialized Zombies (Harpys/ Chubbys/ Black Suits/ Spitters) - and should wait until you have a solid army.

Recently had an update 0.8 which rebalanced the units (more health regen - more resistance to Spitters) but still the best unit imo are the Snipers. Once I get to day 35 I start to exclusively train Snipers.

Then later I use Thanatos (at least 2 per wall section/choke).

Play and have fun - it's a sandbox/rts. Watching streams/videos actually helps since you get a sense of reacting to different situations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 8, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything for Dex? Searching the thread just brings up Dexterity.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Xander77 posted:

It's been at least two years, but the most important thing I remember is that your guns are pretty poo poo and not really worth bothering with. Your fists, on the other hand start out ok, and get a bunch of upgrades that make them your best source of damage by a huge margin.

The game isn't as expansive as a "proper" metroidvania, but it's still worth it to explore and talk to people for side quests; a lot of them have alternate solutions and endings. I don't think anything is permanently missable outside of what I remember being the really obvious "this is the start of the endgame, are you sure you don"'t have anything else to do?" prompt.

Man, now you've got me wanting to play it again; I remember having a blast with that game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually, guns get viable pretty fast (and the biggest drawback in the beginning is lack of ammo); I'd suggest going for them if you do not enjoy the melee combat (I didn't) - I only beat the game as a gun user but the way some of the later fights are set up, those melee upgrades would have to get crazy damaging.

So I guess both ways are viable, the only way of screwing yourself over is spreading your points too thin by going for some kind of a hybrid build.

Exploration skills are really important - hacking, lockpicking, name it, the rewards are worth it.

If you're in a dungeon (=any plot level outside the main hub), it pays to explore around a bit before going for the objectives; most of the time there are multiple ways of doing it and they usually aren't immediately obvious.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

anilEhilated posted:

Actually, guns get viable pretty fast (and the biggest drawback in the beginning is lack of ammo); I'd suggest going for them if you do not enjoy the melee combat (I didn't) - I only beat the game as a gun user but the way some of the later fights are set up, those melee upgrades would have to get crazy damaging.

I remember breezing through it as melee only specifically because I detested the aiming for guns. I think there's a point in the skill tree that makes your combo attacks either stun or knockdown, but that combined with all of the augments meant that combat was usually pretty short. Speaking of,

quote:

Exploration skills are really important - hacking, lockpicking, name it, the rewards are worth it.

On this subject, one of the first augments you'll want to get is the one that gives you a hi-jump. You'll also want the one that gives you fall damage immunity.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

McCoy Pauley posted:

It is touched on somewhat, but zeds are attracted to sound, and the two largest sound producers are gunshots and building. This means that while archers are mathematically weaker than soldiers they are able to thin out hordes without aggroing the whole thing. Soldiers should be used entirely as last ditch defensive effort until you can solidly defend points without them, as in the open they can get quickly overwhelmed

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TheHoosier posted:

Might & Magic 7 is noteworthy in that both Might and Magic are very important. Comparatively Might & Magic 6 should've been called Magic, Magic & More Magic in terms of what was important for getting through the game. 7, however, changes up a variety of systems with the end result that you'll want at least one heavy physical combat character if not more.

Like most Might & Magic games, the real path to getting stronk is abusing fountain buffs. If you find a fountain that gives a good buff, make a note of it and abuse it heavily.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My strategy in Might and Magic 6 was everyone using bows and arrows so I just had Arrows and Arrows.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Anything for This is the Police?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Cracker King posted:

***They Are Billions advice***

Thanks for all this -- very helpful.

One thing that has bugged me a little in my short time with the game is that it seems like it takes quite awhile to get military forces -- I have the 4 rangers and 1 soldier I start with, but then it takes some time to be able to make more rangers. Am I just being too slow in getting to a military building -- should I rush to build one of those?

And should I really just wait on walls until later? I've had a number of early starts that fell apart on me after a few zombies sauntered into my tent camp from some direction I wasn't watching. Should I be popping up a few walls strategically early on, just to block ingress from certain directions? Or should I just be covering that with groups of rangers?

Also, what's the deal with broken down buildings I find out in the map? I've seen a few radar towers that I was able to fix, but in some maps I've seen what look like entire ruined towns -- can I fix those up?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

And should I really just wait on walls until later? I've had a number of early starts that fell apart on me after a few zombies sauntered into my tent camp from some direction I wasn't watching. Should I be popping up a few walls strategically early on, just to block ingress from certain directions? Or should I just be covering that with groups of rangers?

Yes, this game is the first time I ever used the Starcraft 1 patrol command.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Anything for Disgaea games in general? There are tips on the wiki but they're mostly for specific installments. How should I play this? Why do some 2 or 3 person combos do less damage than a standard attack? How should I build my teams?

I'm playing through 3 and that's my first Disgaea game.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Terminally Bored posted:

Anything for Disgaea games in general? There are tips on the wiki but they're mostly for specific installments. How should I play this? Why do some 2 or 3 person combos do less damage than a standard attack? How should I build my teams?

I'm playing through 3 and that's my first Disgaea game.
You can get away with building basically whatever, you will get enough named NPCs in any given game that you'll probably use them the most + maybe a mage or other specialist for gimmicky poo poo.
Vary up your weapon choice though (and be mindful of what stats contribute to a weapon's attacks and equip accordingly, at least at very low and super-high levels), just because they all have pros and cons:
- Spear: Slightly longer range, attack skills have weird aiming requirements
- Axe: Short-range, lower-accuracy, heavy damage with a defensive shred. Good for opening a combo
- Sword: All-around great, has a lot of AoE attacks
- Fist: In later games has the best 3x3 AoE attack (more on that later), also has a lot of enemy-movement abilities, which are extremely useful for navigating item world and just general strategy.
- Gun: Extremely long range in a line out from the character
- Bow: Medium-long range in a more traditional ranged pattern

For how to play in general, story mode maps usually have some sort of gimmick to plan around or overcome, but if you grind by running Item World and the like for awhile, you can brute force basically anything. A good plan is to play through the main story until you feel like you're stuck, then Item World on something where the starting floor (it'll say like, 11+, 21+, etc.) is a right around your level or a little under. Then run through it, getting gear and levels. Repeat.

Forgot what's on the wiki, but if these aren't there, these are good:

In every game there's eventually a map in late-game/post-game/side-content where there are enemies on a 2x3 or 3x3 grid with XP boost and defense penalties, which you will use ten thousand times for grinding.

Throwing monsters into each other combines them, which is extremely relevant in any of the games's little Dark Assembly / monster congress / whatever voting minigame, because it means all you need to do for some of the bills that all but demand you fight to pass them is bribe one high-level monster onto your side, then run around throwing it into lower level things absorb them into a single friendly NPC for the duration of the fight. Then boom you've done it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

You lose whatever ammo remains in the clip when you manually reload your weapon.

Block - 3 punches - block works against most melee enemies (or ranged enemies in melee range).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Thanks so much! I'm really stupid and didn't figure out that it matters who opens a combo.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Terminally Bored posted:

Thanks so much! I'm really stupid and didn't figure out that it matters who opens a combo.
Also iirc the damage done ramps up with hits, so save your heavy hitters for later and put any multi hit attacks in early.
Also be aware that you can still combo people if forced movement attacks carry them into the area of effect, like if you uppercut a dude 1 sq back into a waiting axe attack

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

McCoy Pauley posted:

One thing that has bugged me a little in my short time with the game is that it seems like it takes quite awhile to get military forces -- I have the 4 rangers and 1 soldier I start with, but then it takes some time to be able to make more rangers. Am I just being too slow in getting to a military building -- should I rush to build one of those?

Also, what's the deal with broken down buildings I find out in the map? I've seen a few radar towers that I was able to fix, but in some maps I've seen what look like entire ruined towns -- can I fix those up?

You're going to want to start putting up walls after a point and towers give a range bonus to any unit placed in them. Walls are pretty much cheap HP blockers that keep the undead from munching on your regular buildings and causing *problems*

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

limp_cheese posted:

Anything for This is the Police?

Anybody have any advice?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I'd like to go into Flame in the Flood as blind as possible but I admit I have no idea how I'm supposed to use the filter I somehow have to filter the poison water? I can't remember what the game calls it I played for enough to see how it runs. Anyway I can't figure out how to filter water.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Someone offered me a way to edit the wiki directly a while ago. Can I still get that?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Check your pms. Use this power responsibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Check your pms. Use this power responsibly.
Time to delete literally everything.

Or at least burn down the Alpha Protocol page and start from scratch.