Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCe9DTWmhhxeKyYHL4mldGcA

Set thirty years after the events of the 1984 All Valley Karate Tournament, the series focuses on Johnny Lawrence reopening the Cobra Kai dojo, which causes his rivalry with Daniel LaRusso to be reignited.

The first 2 episodes are free on Youtube the the next 8 are youtubered subscription only. I was floored by the quality of this show. I intended on watching a few at a time then ended up marathoning the whole season.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm currently on ep 7 and this show is a lot better than it has any right to be. If you liked the original Karate Kid at all, you should definitely check this out.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I have only watched the first two episodes but plan to watch the rest soon and completely agree. I feel the show is way too good for youtube and is better than anything netflix has released lately.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

This show is amazing! Also, gently caress that rear end in a top hat Daniel-san.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This came out of nowhere and is thus far my favorite show of 2018. Holy gently caress that final scene. I'd said elsewhere I didn't want another season for fear that they couldn't live up to it but that was before I finished and saw that. Now I am DYING for another year. Hopefully Google is smart and puts this on Play and other streaming services.

Also this needs to be posted every time Karate Kid stuff pops up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQ3vaiv47I

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
This show was fantastic. I never binge watch but I couldn't stop with this one. There's a lot going on with the characters, especially Johnny and the cycle of abuse he's part of.

I think I wouldve preferred if they didn't set up another season and instead they wrapped it up in one, but I guess they really had too much to resolve in the final episode. Johnny is slowly figuring out how much he's loving up his students, should make an interesting arc in season 2

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I didn't realize this was an actual show. I thought it was some fan made trailer. Watching it now and pretty happy about it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This show was fantastic. I never binge watch but I couldn't stop with this one. There's a lot going on with the characters, especially Johnny and the cycle of abuse he's part of.

Anybody who makes their nut doing thinkpieces would be very, very smart to start cranking out their takes on how this show brilliantly leverages the Karate Kid mythos (as it were) to break down how abuse warps and destroys people in small ways. I’m so very, very happy that Kreese turned out to be alive, because while you could tell a story about Johnny having to learn to move past his abuse without the benefit of “closure,” the idea of bringing in Martin Kove when he’s able-bodied and not doing anything else is way too good to leave on the table. That last scene with him had a bone-chilling “Daddy’s home” vibe to it—and I only remember bits and pieces of the movie.

I kinda hope Elizabeth Shue comes back at some point as well. As hosed as it is, Johnny’s got a lot wrapped up with her and I’d love to see what happens if she gets directly involved.

Comedy option: Hilary Swank cameos as Julie Pierce.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
Binged the whole thing yesterday and today. I really enjoyed Johnny's character arc from loser to a guy that made a difference in these kids' lives. I also liked the finale in the sense that he realized he may have created some monsters he can't reign in.

It's also not a new idea, but it was nice getting Johnny's take on how he wasn't really a dick to Daniel, and how LaRusso actually instigated most of the "bullying" incidents in the movies.

I liked it a lot more than i expected to enjoy a sequel series to a 34-year-old kids movie

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazoo Reverb posted:

Binged the whole thing yesterday and today. I really enjoyed Johnny's character arc from loser to a guy that made a difference in these kids' lives. I also liked the finale in the sense that he realized he may have created some monsters he can't reign in.

It's also not a new idea, but it was nice getting Johnny's take on how he wasn't really a dick to Daniel, and how LaRusso actually instigated most of the "bullying" incidents in the movies.

I liked it a lot more than i expected to enjoy a sequel series to a 34-year-old kids movie

Family movie motherfucker, that poo poo holds up to adulting level.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Despite everything, I still easily found myself rooting for Miguel to beat Robbie’s rear end in the final fight. That kid hasn’t earned poo poo, and Daniel can get hosed. “AFTER EVERYTHING HE’S DONE” my rear end dude, he beat you up a couple of times in high school (all fights you literally instigated) and pushed you off your bike. In return you destroyed his life and had all your wildest dreams come true. Get the gently caress over it already you gigantic baby, christ.

Incredible show, can’t wait for season 2. Going to be evangelizing for it to anyone who’ll listen.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I heard about it and dismissed it because I thought it was gonna be some kind of jokey collection of Karate Kid references. I watched the pilot because of the buzz and imagine my surprise when I realized this was a dramedy played mostly straight.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mandrel posted:

Despite everything, I still easily found myself rooting for Miguel to beat Robbie’s rear end in the final fight. That kid hasn’t earned poo poo, and Daniel can get hosed. “AFTER EVERYTHING HE’S DONE” my rear end dude, he beat you up a couple of times in high school (all fights you literally instigated) and pushed you off your bike. In return you destroyed his life and had all your wildest dreams come true. Get the gently caress over it already you gigantic baby, christ.

Incredible show, can’t wait for season 2. Going to be evangelizing for it to anyone who’ll listen.

I think that's part of what I like about it. Macchio is producing the gently caress out of this, and it's an honest take on Daniel as a villain/anti-hero. He's living the 1% Valley life, sure, but the opening episodes firmly establish that his life is bullshit. His kids are assholes (and I do think his daughter is still firmly an rear end in a top hat by the end), his business partners are both assholes and incompetent, and he's a car salesman for gently caress's sake. It's a good way to make a living but it's not exactly honest.

The narrative arc was a bit on the nose and the soap opera feeling detracted just a little bit. Daniel admits to being hot-tempered, but everybody was impatient to unbelievable degrees. The way the plotlines fell made everything utterly predictable, but somehow it was well-enough done that it didn't matter that much. Good loving show, can't wait for Miyagi-Do.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Propaganda Machine posted:

(and I do think his daughter is still firmly an rear end in a top hat by the end)

I’m sorry, you’re going to have to elaborate on this.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
If you have never seen the film is it still worth watching?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

KongGeorgeVII posted:

It's probably still fine, but there's a lot of relevant context based on the film. It does do a few flashbacks and explicit explanations so you could totally follow it, but you wouldn't get the visceral effect, and you'd miss a bunch of jokes.

The film is good too, so why not just watch it first?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Most of the payoff and emotional references factor into just the first film, so if you watch that one you'll get 95% of the stuff. I do recommend checking out the first film before watching this, but if you don't you'll probably still be fine.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've never watched Karate Kid anything but the Rifftrax of the third movie and I love this show.

Everyone should watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DWtlj3w2nc&t=26s

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You should really watch the first movie. It's really good and Pat Morita puts in an amazing performance.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
Johnny having Miguel do the Crane Kick in front of Daniel was a cute bit of business

Caros
May 14, 2008

Patton Oswart correctly called this years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMsLvLshZBQ&t=304s

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

arisu posted:

Most of the payoff and emotional references factor into just the first film
Was there anything related to the other films? I got the feeling this was essentially a different timeline from KK2 and KK3. But it might just be that those were super unmemorable movies.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Daniel talks about his time in Okinawa briefly, but that was as much as I could tell. With Ali featuring so prominently it did feel like they retconned the romantic subplot from Japan.

Regarding the daughter, we don't see her change over the course of the season, she just reacts to everything happening around her. She only ever hung out with Miguel and her old friend out of necessity. It's nice that she seems to want to go back to karate, but her motivation for those ten seconds of a scene are unknown at this point.

Ragnarak
Jun 17, 2003

roomforthetuna posted:

Was there anything related to the other films? I got the feeling this was essentially a different timeline from KK2 and KK3. But it might just be that those were super unmemorable movies.

They reference the bonsai shop from KK3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ragnarak posted:

They reference the bonsai shop from KK3.

The dude who played Barnes in KK3 has said he would love to be a part of the show.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I liked it- things happened that make sense to happen and I was entertained the whole way through.

Spoilers:

For all the assholishness Daniel has, his teaching results in someone who ended up being a better person for it, whereas Johnny teaches his pupils how to be jackasses and begins to regret it as he watches his son get cheap shotted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Panzeh posted:

I liked it- things happened that make sense to happen and I was entertained the whole way through.

Spoilers:

For all the assholishness Daniel has, his teaching results in someone who ended up being a better person for it, whereas Johnny teaches his pupils how to be jackasses and begins to regret it as he watches his son get cheap shotted.

It's fair to say that if it hadn't been that person getting cheap shotted, Johnny wouldn't have cared.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Panzeh posted:

Spoilers:

They're just passing on what they know; it's why martial artists take lineage seriously. It'll be cool if/when Johnny's art evolves against the pressure from the canonical Worst Sensei Ever.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I liked the underlying theme of power corrupting - turns out all the major characters were picked-on nerds at some point, and as they gain power they become assholes. The ones who learn Miyagi karate become a more passive-aggressive sort of rear end in a top hat than the ones who learn Cobra style. The only exception is the one kid who starts out as an aggressive rear end in a top hat and then learns Miyagi karate from Daniel; he becomes marginally less of an rear end in a top hat than he already was. This is perhaps because Miyagi karate comes with lessons about not using your power - Daniel's assholishness decreases too, as he resumes practice and remembers the "don't be a dick with this" lessons.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

roomforthetuna posted:

They also name drop Terry Silver I think during the scene where Cobra Kai was trying to get reinstated, as a reason it was banned in the first place.

I imagine S2 might go deeper into KK3 due to the ending.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's been a long rear end time since I seen it but didn't Daniel's apartment building get bulldozed in KK3?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

DivisionPost posted:

I’m sorry, you’re going to have to elaborate on this.

she had zero reflection about how she treated miguel by hiding their relationship from her family.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Probably better if you haven't seen the movies first because they incorporated mythos and flashbacks organically. "back in my day we had to" jokes.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rhyno posted:

It's been a long rear end time since I seen it but didn't Daniel's apartment building get bulldozed in KK3?

retconned I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gohmak posted:

retconned I guess.

But am I remembering it right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose Oquendo posted:

You should really watch the first movie. It's really good and Pat Morita puts in an amazing performance.

Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe nominee, just quietly

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I don't think you ever saw it demolished, just under construction. It was implied that they sold to new owners. Might have been heavy renovations, it certainly looked like it was in better shape now than it did in the movies.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Is KK3 worth watching? The first sequel was okay but it lost enough magic that I never really wanted to watch the last one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Is KK3 worth watching? The first sequel was okay but it lost enough magic that I never really wanted to watch the last one.

The villain, Terry Silver, is the best thing to ever grace a movie screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just binged this whole season and mannnnnn it’s to perfect! I love how Johnny seems to be a person completely lost in time and hasn’t progressed since the 80’s right down to his ignorance or modern technology (every time he uses language like “Hot Babes” and “Kicking rear end” I nearly died)

Also Daniels son is hilarious and steals quite a few scenes.

PANCAKE TACO’S

• Locked thread