Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Gravitalbot was pretty cool but it's a shame he was convinced to tear the Earth apart to look for things to save the Earth in about three seconds.

I think even if you include Creel we still need 3-4 more people in this Voltron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Maybe the way they need to let Coulson "die" is to let him be absorbed and take control of the gravitonium?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Robin did say he would "put all of the pieces together"

I don't see how this gets them out of the time loop though.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 5, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
This is a pretty wild ride.

I guess everybody else is going write off Gravitalbot almost pulling the Earth apart as just another part of whatever Thanos is doing at the same time, hence the absence of Avengers.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I'm not sure how the timelines are supposed to match up now. I figured they weren't going to mention Avengers but they outright said that Infinity War is happening, right now, and Talbot's whole motivation is to go fight Thanos now.

Infinity War 2 doesn't come out until May 2019 so if this show has another season it would be running six months before the conclusion to the Thanos storyline in the movies. Are we really going to go through the other part of the time loop where the Earth actually is destroyed now for the first half of next season?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I'm not sure how the timelines are supposed to match up now. I figured they weren't going to mention Avengers but they outright said that Infinity War is happening, right now, and Talbot's whole motivation is to go fight Thanos now.

Infinity War 2 doesn't come out until May 2019 so if this show has another season it would be running six months before the conclusion to the Thanos storyline in the movies. Are we really going to go through the other part of the time loop where the Earth actually is destroyed now for the first half of next season?

Quit over thinking it. It'll all be be wrapped in a nice bow and you'll like it.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Wait... So this is taking place at the same time as IW?

Does that mean what I think it means for when the movie ends?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This is largely speculation and barely an IW spoiler but if Infinity War's ending is fixed through time travel, they could even just keep the show going on this timeline and keep the show in a postapocalyptic earth as a timeline that the Avengers abandoned. That would at the very least give them some leeway to do a few things that might normally contradict the MCU.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

This Gravitron story could've been a complete dud but drat it is so good. It almost makes the dramatic tensions between AOS seem pointless. I want more Talbotton.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yo-yo was right again. It's only ok when Daisy goes rogue and gets a bunch of people killed :v:

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Rocksicles posted:

Quit over thinking it. It'll all be be wrapped in a nice bow and you'll like it.

Pointing out that they tied the season finale of a show to a movie that won't be continued until seven months after the show story continues isn't over thinking anything.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Canned Panda posted:

Maybe, but probably not, thanks to the 2015 Feige/Perlmutter split and the extreme amount of secrecy around IW in particular. I fully expect that Big Infinity War Spoiler Thing will not happen in the remaining two episodes, and that the showrunners will give post-finale interviews where they awkwardly try to avoid admitting that they knew very little about Infinity War’s actual plot and have no idea how to accommodate it if there’s an S6.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
This is the best tie-in they've done since the first season. Arguably better because even though the Season 1 MCU tie-in was very rad, it's also part of why a large part of the first season was so milquetoast. Having the events of Infinity War directly motivating Talbot is a nice choice and ties neatly into the trope of the villain seeing themselves as the hero in their own story, but it in a way that seems far more logical than "I need to genocide everyone to save them."

This was a good episode and it's a testament to the writers that the season has been as good as it has been given the budget cuts they've had to deal with.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Man I just remembered Talbot and his wife used to have Taco Tuesdays and now I'm :smith: please don't kill him, somehow.

Talbots gone off the deep end, I’m afraid. Unless they manage to extract the gravitonium from him somehow, and I don’t think even the local mad scientists can pull that off, he’s gonna have to be put down.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Canned Panda posted:

Nah, Thanos’ crew is still en route. Keep in mind, we don’t know how long it took Hulk to get there via the bifrost, let alone for Thanos to get the the first two gems at the start of his rampage. Also there was probably a reason Fury had Danvers’ pager ready.

More than likely it’s just a handy way to not have to actually address what’s going on and the writers don’t have to deal with it anymore.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Barry Convex posted:

Maybe, but probably not, thanks to the 2015 Feige/Perlmutter split and the extreme amount of secrecy around IW in particular. I fully expect that Big Infinity War Spoiler Thing will not happen in the remaining two episodes, and that the showrunners will give post-finale interviews where they awkwardly try to avoid admitting that they knew very little about Infinity War’s actual plot and have no idea how to accommodate it if there’s an S6.

I bet Big Spoiler Thing is the zinger at the end of the season (like Jemma being sucked into the monolith) and that next season (has it been renewed yet?) is them dealing with with fallout of Big Spoiler Thing.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Chokes McGee posted:

Talbots gone off the deep end, I’m afraid. Unless they manage to extract the gravitonium from him somehow, and I don’t think even the local mad scientists can pull that off, he’s gonna have to be put down.

Mack has been very loud these past few episodes about how killing people off summarily isn't what Shield does. Hopefully that's an indicator for the ending

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chokes McGee posted:

Nah, Thanos’ crew is still en route. Keep in mind, we don’t know how long it took Hulk to get there via the bifrost, let alone for Thanos to get the the first two gems at the start of his rampage. Also there was probably a reason Fury had Danvers’ pager ready.

More than likely it’s just a handy way to not have to actually address what’s going on and the writers don’t have to deal with it anymore.
Er, nah, the show already had Busey Jr. say "see that crazy stuff happening in NY?" which means the start of the movie is already happening now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

JazzFlight posted:

Er, nah, the show already had Busey Jr. say "see that crazy stuff happening in NY?" which means the start of the movie is already happening now.

There’s always crazy poo poo happening in New York, though. Candyman was probably just talking about Luke Cage beating up Abomination.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

JazzFlight posted:

There's some indication that the lighthouse is on one of the Great Lakes, and New York is also the name of a state that has shorefront property on the Great Lakes, and there was literally an alien spaceship floating there last episode.

And that conversation was right after May telling Coulson she'd told Daisy to go dark, at which point the audience would think "Wouldn't Daisy break radio silence if she saw a space ship on the news floating over the secret facility her team is hiding in?" Her conversation with Busey is to show she's not aware of it happening. She's still not aware until she shows up 15 minutes into this episode.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ApathyGifted posted:

There's some indication that the lighthouse is on one of the Great Lakes, and New York is also the name of a state that has shorefront property on the Great Lakes, and there was literally an alien spaceship floating there last episode.

And that conversation was right after May telling Coulson she'd told Daisy to go dark, at which point the audience would think "Wouldn't Daisy break radio silence if she saw a space ship on the news floating over the secret facility her team is hiding in?" Her conversation with Busey is to show she's not aware of it happening. She's still not aware until she shows up 15 minutes into this episode.
That's some weak reasoning. I think if you asked the production team, they would at least acknowledge they were tossing in a connection to Infinity War with the NY reference, not referencing the lighthouse aliens (or any other Marvel event, for that matter).

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah I know :( I just like the character a whole lot especially with how badass he is as Graviton and wish there was a way to keep him around somehow.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm gonna miss Pasdar as Talbot. :(

That's not it's name!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Mod edit.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 6, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pillowpants posted:

They explicitly mentioned Thanos starting his reign of terror last night? I assume it’s the first part of the movie and half of shield will disappear during the finale or something?

C’mon, man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Maybe the way they need to let Coulson "die" is to let him be absorbed and take control of the gravitonium?

Yeah, that seems like the way it's going. Coulson has to die, so he has to get absorbed. Then he would be the guy to assert dominance and take control.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Phylodox posted:

C’mon, man.

People are really bad at this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
A couple points:

Nobody in the history of mankind has ever once said "Hey you hear about that thing in New York?" when they were actually referring to sleepy lake side town in upstate New York. The postcard Fitz sent early on in the season said Ontario anyways.

I don't know why anyone is referring to any kind of secrecy about Infinity War. I mean the details and the who of it sure, but I haven't read a comic since I was like 13 and I knew exactly how it was gonna end as soon as the movie was announced. There's no way the producers of AoS are sitting around scratching their heads wondering what the sweeping indications of this top secret movie might be. Overall dragging the last several episodes to be happening simultaneously with the movie is a good idea though. (IW spoiler)If they do get a new season I could see them doing almost all of it with half the cast, what a budget saver that would be, then have a tie in towards the end where the other half of the cast comes back and saves the day.

Am I the only one who didn't like that episode at all? At this point any member of Shield calling another one out for going rogue is just eye rolling. It happens at least once a month. I'm all for some scenery chewing but Evil Talbot's space dictator costume was just so bad. And worst of all was Mack. gently caress yo science and your theories, all we need is the good book and to live a simple life! Really Mack? loving really?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Regarding Infinity War, I'm expecting Piper, the Pilot Guy & one of the main cast to fade away and Coulson to die. Maybe Mack or Fitz.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Are we getting a two-parter this year or are these last two eps getting their own weeks?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Are we getting a two-parter this year or are these last two eps getting their own weeks?

the latter, unfortunately

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

A couple points:

Nobody in the history of mankind has ever once said "Hey you hear about that thing in New York?" when they were actually referring to sleepy lake side town in upstate New York. The postcard Fitz sent early on in the season said Ontario anyways.

I don't know why anyone is referring to any kind of secrecy about Infinity War. I mean the details and the who of it sure, but I haven't read a comic since I was like 13 and I knew exactly how it was gonna end as soon as the movie was announced. There's no way the producers of AoS are sitting around scratching their heads wondering what the sweeping indications of this top secret movie might be. Overall dragging the last several episodes to be happening simultaneously with the movie is a good idea though. (IW spoiler)If they do get a new season I could see them doing almost all of it with half the cast, what a budget saver that would be, then have a tie in towards the end where the other half of the cast comes back and saves the day.

Am I the only one who didn't like that episode at all? At this point any member of Shield calling another one out for going rogue is just eye rolling. It happens at least once a month. I'm all for some scenery chewing but Evil Talbot's space dictator costume was just so bad. And worst of all was Mack. gently caress yo science and your theories, all we need is the good book and to live a simple life! Really Mack? loving really?

You think they just assumed what the film’s ending would be based on one scene of a comic it was very, very loosely based on? okay

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm all for some scenery chewing but Evil Talbot's space dictator costume was just so bad.

Yeah I chuckled when he asked "how do I look?". "Like a loving supervillain, dude."

Mymla fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 6, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mack's whole thing has been getting on my nerves for a while. He's all about merking some alien and chopping Inhumans up. But when it's a 100% grade A human, he's got issues.

Get the gently caress outta here.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

You think they just assumed what the film’s ending would be based on one scene of a comic it was very, very loosely based on? okay

It's a reasonable assumption to make.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They still haven't actually gotten to the actual spoilers part of Infinity War so I'm still declaring NO AVENGERS SPOILERS.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

the latter, unfortunately

oh god damnit :mad: I want 2 full hours of Graviton and I want it now!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's a reasonable assumption to make.

I mean, not really? What exactly would happen if they guessed wrong? I’m aware that Big Spoiler Thing was a popular theory in various online corners for a while, but that’s not something you can gamble your season’s ending on.

I don’t think it’ll happen in the remaining two episodes, but if it somehow does, I’m sure it won’t be because Whedon and Tancharoen made a lucky guess based on one part of the source material.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That one scene from Infinity War makes a lot more sense now though, where Dr. Strange says to Tony Stark "also there's a super-powerful gravity mutant guy who's about to destroy the planet, but that one will be wrapped up offscreen," and then he turns to the camera and says "Friday nights on ABC!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm just really happy that they finally gave AoS the respect it deserves by letting them be the ones to defeat Thanos in the season finale. I can only assume Avengers 4 is a totally standalone adventure.