Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm planning on going super wizard heavy. Wizard PC, Aloth as a rogue/wizard, and Maia as a Ranger/Wizard. Binding Web cast speed is 0.5 seconds, looks like an excellent way to start off combat. With the programmable AI, I can just have Maia start off combat with Merciless Gaze, Infuse with Vital Essence, and some other instant buff before opening up with a gun.

But gently caress, all of a sudden a single class Stalker melee Ranger is appealing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

loving finally, I am excited.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't know wether to go Battlemage proper or just keep my melee specced Wizard.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
When in doubt, always multiclass for more dialogue options imo.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I'm thinking of playing a shifter druid. Druids seemed fun in the first one but I never really used one. The character I import would be a barbarian, I heard barbarians were nerfed regarding their AOE damage? If they are still good, a barb/ shifter druid might be neat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I already can't progress in PoE 1 because I keep remaking my character over and over this multiclass poo poo is going to kill me

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

When in doubt, always multiclass for more dialogue rear end-kicking options imo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Spuzzz posted:

I'm thinking of playing a shifter druid. Druids seemed fun in the first one but I never really used one. The character I import would be a barbarian, I heard barbarians were nerfed regarding their AOE damage? If they are still good, a barb/ shifter druid might be neat.

Barbarians look really killer to me from their skill tree. But I think carnage is kind of nerfed simply because I haven't seen fights where the enemy outnumbered you by a sufficient amount to make it worth focusing on in POE2.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

When in doubt, always multiclass for more dialogue options imo.

I will, then. I was never a big multi- or dual- classer back in the day, but the system in 'Deadfire' seems relatively simple and I never found myself using too many of the end-game spells in 'Pillars of Eternity', so missing out on a few of those probably won't kill me.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

I'm actually wondering where multiclassing is "optimal" now that the nerfs have gone through and taken the shine off a lot of the more OP(*aladiny) things in the beta. What is still good to multiclass now stuff has gone through?

Relevancy of the high level abilities is pretty big, most of the caster classes seem to hate multiclasses because nothing stacks unlike melee, and the difference in power levels seems to widen out to the end game, and usually you'd imagine the biggest difficulty spikes are in the super bosses like the dragons from PoE1. Early game the difference in power levels seems extremely close between single and multi so single might just be better.

Plus that the early game is apparently reload free on PotD no spirits/wraiths to bottleneck the party.

Also, the 9th level ability prestige is a must take on every single single class now? Why would you ever not take that passive ability.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do we actually know by how much Power Level affects stuff? Like is it +10%/level?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Do we actually know by how much Power Level affects stuff? Like is it +10%/level?

I think it's different depending on what it's affecting? Not just a flat percentage increase though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does anyone have that list of level 8/9 abilities handy?

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Abilities has the lvl 8/9 abilities, but it's a little patchy I think. Worst case scenario you'll have to go to Carnage's youtube for htem

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My plan is to go a Ranger/Rogue and just shoot holes in things all day. Probably going to go Ghost Heart as well because I'm lame/lazy and I hate microing Animal Companions - having a disposable GHOST DOGG to throw at problems will be nice.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Cipher 8 and 9 abilities seem pretty underwhelming, and the big thing that put them at an advantage over other spellcasters (i.e., being non-Vancian) is also no longer an issue, and if anything, they may now be at a disadvantage compared to the other caster classes.

On the other hand, you can dual wield blunderbusses now.

The trouble is, a lot of the 6-7 powers still seem pretty good, and it'd be nice to not be getting them at very nearly the end of the game.

If we are multiclassing ciphers though, are people generally agreed that rogue is probably the best mix for a ranged gun-shooter type?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Urthor posted:

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Abilities has the lvl 8/9 abilities, but it's a little patchy I think. Worst case scenario you'll have to go to Carnage's youtube for htem

Someone screenshotted all of them, but I don't think they're ordered.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

There is no point in even thinking hard about it, no matter what I am gonna restart about a dozen times before I ever beat the game, assuming I ever manage to beat it.
This guy gets it

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh my dude

Once you incorporate all the scripting your abilities will need in the AI

It's so many more hours than that

I have 169 hours in the Deadfire beta and like half of that is character creation
:staredog:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Urthor posted:

Also, the 9th level ability prestige is a must take on every single single class now? Why would you ever not take that passive ability.
Really depends on the abilities you get. I'm not sure how many Fighter builds would want it, for example.

GrandpaPants posted:

Varies by ability. 10% is pretty close in general, though. Some have discrete break points depending on Power Level, like number of missiles for Minoletta spells.

e: Power Level also increases Penetration, so in that sense all damaging spells have those break points.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

willing to settle posted:

The trouble is, a lot of the 6-7 powers still seem pretty good, and it'd be nice to not be getting them at very nearly the end of the game.

If we are multiclassing ciphers though, are people generally agreed that rogue is probably the best mix for a ranged gun-shooter type?

Helwalker. Helwalker has Swift flurry and you have the ability for mad critical hit synergies between the two classes.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Ah jeeze, I looked around the abilities in that album a little more and now I want to make a Hearth Orlan Devoted/Skald. By level 7 you can have 80% hit to crit most of the time (10% hearth orlan, 20% one handed style, 50% intuitive from disciplined strikes). Throw in Pallegina with the right aura and grab uncanny luck and you're sitting at 90%. Grab a handful of the status inflicting and damaging invocations, then just run around critting people and singing them to death. Killers Froze would add a nice additional 50% hit to crit on anyone it affects for that sweet overkill. Ancient Memory + Rapid Recovery should give a lot of survivability, which can be doubled (at least part of the time) with Mercy and Kindness end game. Armored Grace would keep the crits flowing nicely, too.

Probably better for a second run once I know more about what weapons are available. Though, I could just pick rapiers for the whole charming swashbuckler schtick. And the synergy is just so much better than the golden showers build...

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Dairy Power posted:

Ah jeeze, I looked around the abilities in that album a little more and now I want to make a Hearth Orlan Devoted/Skald. By level 7 you can have 80% hit to crit most of the time (10% hearth orlan, 20% one handed style, 50% intuitive from disciplined strikes). Throw in Pallegina with the right aura and grab uncanny luck and you're sitting at 90%. Grab a handful of the status inflicting and damaging invocations, then just run around critting people and singing them to death. Killers Froze would add a nice additional 50% hit to crit on anyone it affects for that sweet overkill. Ancient Memory + Rapid Recovery should give a lot of survivability, which can be doubled (at least part of the time) with Mercy and Kindness end game. Armored Grace would keep the crits flowing nicely, too.

Probably better for a second run once I know more about what weapons are available. Though, I could just pick rapiers for the whole charming swashbuckler schtick. And the synergy is just so much better than the golden showers build...

Conversions are done independently, so your chance to convert isn't 80% but 1-(.9*.8*.5) = 64%

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Dairy Power posted:

So we found out why on crit procs aren't a thing then.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

derra posted:

Conversions are done independently, so your chance to convert isn't 80% but 1-(.9*.8*.5) = 64%

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

Regardless, it's pretty darn good. That's not even counting that with a one-hander, accuracy should be high enough to give a good native chance to crit. Guess it makes that 50% hit-to-crit conversion on paralyzed enemies less overkill, though.

Dairy Power fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 6, 2018

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Are they going to nerf the Nature godlike racial passive. "When under an inspiration (might/int/dex) +2 power level"

So basically +2 power level always if you build your party half decently??? Isn't that just broken?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Urthor posted:

So basically +2 power level always if you build your party half decently??? Isn't that just broken?

From what I heard from backer beta builds, yes

e:just remember Godlikes don't have head equipment slot so their racials passives have to be a bit stronger to balance things out

frajaq fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 6, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Urthor posted:

Are they going to nerf the Nature godlike racial passive. "When under an inspiration (might/int/dex) +2 power level"

the ascendant cipher casts all powers at (iirc) +3 power level when in their special max focus state. also you can cast as many of your cipher powers as you want, of any level, during this period (which is over 20 seconds if you build your cipher right.) it doesnt take long to reach max focus.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
play as an ascendant cipher if you want to win the game david sirlin style.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Skald was a ton of fun in the beta. I'd seriously consider converting my old Cipher to one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Urthor posted:

Godlikes get no headgear items, and frankly it doesn't seem like +power level effects are that rare so I'd say it's simply "pretty good".

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Argh, so I just checked and the PoE savegame backups I made were of a third of the way into my playthrough, I don't even have the sweet portrait I made for my Aumaua Chief Lazarus anymore oh snap I found him and my Kana replacer Sharkmouth:

Is the carry over stuff going to be worthwhile / significant beyond what ya can set as variables on a new game? Kinda want to get a save game (or edit one) but at this point I absolutely don't remember anything I did beyond being a very nice helpful boy and also helping a fat dragon get out of the hole she was stuck in.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The in game editor is comprehensive enough, there are apparently a couple things with super minor effects that aren't accounted for.

Also "i was a nice helpful boy" is one of the presets you can pick.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Oh nice! In that case I'll probably just go with that then and try not to worry about whatever I'm missin' out on.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hey beta-havers, does the Ranger's Driving Flight work on guns? I have fond memories of my Blunderbuss scattering damage all over the field in POE and I wanna know if it works the same way in the sequel.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Kith posted:

Hey beta-havers, does the Ranger's Driving Flight work on guns? I have fond memories of my Blunderbuss scattering damage all over the field in POE and I wanna know if it works the same way in the sequel.

It should but you have to remember all "minus damage" modifiers are cancer for blunderbuss because each bullet hits like a mini range attack, so it could do bugger all damage. It depends on the math involved, because math is different this time around you have to check whether it's a flat reduction of base damage or a multiplier.

Actually curious what the best way to use Blunderbuss is, none of the abilities seem particularly broken with them from what I can see.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So, uh, I just realized I have access to the backer beta myself already, just days before the game itself releases. :blush:

Game preloaded, and I think I'm gonna play with the character creator a bit.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK I just rushed the end of my dumb gimmick solo story mode expert trial of iron run. Time to start my canon run I guess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

AngryBooch posted:

I'm planning on going super wizard heavy. Wizard PC, Aloth as a rogue/wizard, and Maia as a Ranger/Wizard. Binding Web cast speed is 0.5 seconds, looks like an excellent way to start off combat. With the programmable AI, I can just have Maia start off combat with Merciless Gaze, Infuse with Vital Essence, and some other instant buff before opening up with a gun.

But gently caress, all of a sudden a single class Stalker melee Ranger is appealing to me.

I'm kinda leaning towards making my imported Priest a Priest/Wizard multi. Aloth I'll probably keep single class.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I'm glad that the ability to upgrade a unique weapon/armor you like the enchantment of has remained in.

RIP The Hours of St. Rumbalt, you were completely busted on barbarians and now Eothas has sent you to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Urthor posted:

It should but you have to remember all "minus damage" modifiers are cancer for blunderbuss because each bullet hits like a mini range attack, so it could do bugger all damage. It depends on the math involved, because math is different this time around you have to check whether it's a flat reduction of base damage or a multiplier.

Actually curious what the best way to use Blunderbuss is, none of the abilities seem particularly broken with them from what I can see.
I'm extremely sad that Blunderbusses lost access to the Penetrating Shot modal. It was easily their best talent and an enormous force multiplier.