Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Waffleman_ posted:

I think that was mostly because the DCAU was still running with Justice League and they didn't want people to think Titans was part of it.

Which just made things all the more confusing when Static asked Batman where Robin was and Batman replied "he's with the Titans."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much, yeah. TV rights issues. (also why Aquaman was written out of the last season of Justice League, a TV show that fell through) Just thought it made for a pretty big contrast between TT and TTGo tonally even besides the change in format, especially since you now have things like the Wonder Twins cameoing and a lot of Robin's mentality explained by having to deal with Batman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

I think that was mostly because the DCAU was still running with Justice League and they didn't want people to think Titans was part of it.

IIRC, Batman was supposed to show up at one point but they decided against it since they felt it would make the Titans seem lesser in comparison. Which it would. I'm sure rights put the nail in the coffin though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Argue posted:

Which just made things all the more confusing when Static asked Batman where Robin was and Batman replied "he's with the Titans."

It's funny you bring up Static, because if I'm remember right Static Shock crossed over with almost every other DC animated show at the time, the exception being Teen Titans (and maybe Zeta Project too, I don't remember). It crossed over with Batman, Superman, the Justice League, and Batman Beyond.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nobody remembers The Zeta Project.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What ever happen to Robot Jones Zeta?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much, yeah. TV rights issues. (also why Aquaman was written out of the last season of Justice League, a TV show that fell through) Just thought it made for a pretty big contrast between TT and TTGo tonally even besides the change in format, especially since you now have things like the Wonder Twins cameoing and a lot of Robin's mentality explained by having to deal with Batman.

IIIRC the bat embargo was due to the Nolan movies having BS terms. No Scarecrow, No Ra's, no Joker, etc.

No Scarecrow actually made one The Batman episode better iirc since SCrow would have made the twist more obvious.(It was Hugo Strange that had Batman and Robin in a zombie illsuion)

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 2, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's funny you bring up Static, because if I'm remember right Static Shock crossed over with almost every other DC animated show at the time, the exception being Teen Titans (and maybe Zeta Project too, I don't remember). It crossed over with Batman, Superman, the Justice League, and Batman Beyond.

I don't think it crossed with Zeta. I suppose Batman Beyond did though, since it had Zeta's origin. So that makes BB the show to unite them all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The point I was trying to make was that they were already doing crossovers with their shows. What made Teen Titans so special that it wasn't allowed?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The fact that Teen Titans was a separate entity from the shared universe of the other shows. Also it was exclusive to Cartoon Network, rather than airing on like Kids WB first.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

Nobody remembers The Zeta Project.

I remember :saddowns:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bad news: the Dinosaucers rips are awful and there's no theme song on the DVD, and each episode seems to be split into multiple titles. It might be a while before I get to it.

:airquote:Good:airquote: news: I'm gonna be focusing on Sonic Underground for the foreseeable future because it gets buckwild. Hope you guys don't mind me posting my poo poo here.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lizard Wizard posted:

Bad news: the Dinosaucers rips are awful and there's no theme song on the DVD, and each episode seems to be split into multiple titles. It might be a while before I get to it.

:airquote:Good:airquote: news: I'm gonna be focusing on Sonic Underground for the foreseeable future because it gets buckwild. Hope you guys don't mind me posting my poo poo here.

You should do Street Sharks

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ha, seeing actual new transformation sequences in Miraculous after all this time is so weird.

I wish the showrunners would get over their "oh, the continuity is very loose because the episodes are meant to be viewable in any order" horseshit, though. They keep dropping Big Reveals (in 'Syren', Adrien finally meets Master Fu - plus the Kwamis get a convenient colour-coded boxload of new powers) that should feel as if they're building up and up to a climax, but they're just kind of clunking about against each other because of the refusal to commit to a specific timeline. I know the nature of kids' TV channels means episodes are thrown on at random to fill a timeslot, but they could at least go "okay, this is the order that you premiere them" so the ongoing storyline follows an arc for those who care.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

You should do Street Sharks

buy me street sharks

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

Ha, seeing actual new transformation sequences in Miraculous after all this time is so weird.

I wish the showrunners would get over their "oh, the continuity is very loose because the episodes are meant to be viewable in any order" horseshit, though. They keep dropping Big Reveals (in 'Syren', Adrien finally meets Master Fu - plus the Kwamis get a convenient colour-coded boxload of new powers) that should feel as if they're building up and up to a climax, but they're just kind of clunking about against each other because of the refusal to commit to a specific timeline. I know the nature of kids' TV channels means episodes are thrown on at random to fill a timeslot, but they could at least go "okay, this is the order that you premiere them" so the ongoing storyline follows an arc for those who care.

Careful what you wish for. When a show goes from episodic to serialized you get stuff like Steven Universe where you'll never see it again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

buy me street sharks

I might since the complete series set can be got for 7 bucks on Amazon

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

TwoPair posted:

Careful what you wish for. When a show goes from episodic to serialized you get stuff like Steven Universe where you'll never see it again
Is that the fault of the production team or the network, though? (Admission: I've only ever seen one episode of SU, by chance, in Italian, and I did not have the faintest loving idea what was going on. Something about a meteor coming to earth, and two women with non-standard numbers of eyes merging together, or... something? :wtc: ) It's not like people don't have experience in how to get their episodes finished to deadline or goddamn else by now. It does seem like animated shows get a lot more leeway than live-action, though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's not the production team's intent.

Ianjq actively threw shade at Cartoon Network for messing with their schedule and recently showing a huge future spoiler over an interview with Sugar, but deleted the tweets.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

I bought it for 5 with free shipping. I'm still waiting for Mummies Alive!.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Payndz posted:

Is that the fault of the production team or the network, though?

100% on CN. They're dedicated to pulling their stupid BOMB (4-5 episodes at once), giant hiatus, BOMB, giant hiatus shtick and all it's done is make people mad and hurt people's investment in the show.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

I mean if it's that cheap I'll get it. Gotta use that Patreon money for something.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I mean if it's that cheap I'll get it. Gotta use that Patreon money for something.

It's definitely a good candidate for the sort of thing you do

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
God, Street Sharks. That brings back memories.

Not good memories, mind you.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

100% on CN. They're dedicated to pulling their stupid BOMB (4-5 episodes at once), giant hiatus, BOMB, giant hiatus shtick and all it's done is make people mad and hurt people's investment in the show.

Here's the thing: Is there evidence that there's actually a drop in viewership or some other quantifiable measure of hurt investment that would be larger than a week by week airing spaced by approximately a year or more nothing new?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

All the people complaining about it directly hurting their investment are the evidence. Like obviously it's all anecdotal but this isn't a hard science, dude. I'm way behind in large part due to the massive hiatuses killing my drive to watch more whenever it does end up coming back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I have literally stopped watching or caring about Steven Universe.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's gotten to the point where literally once a loving year I decide to marathon every episode I haven't yet seen, go "man this show's really good, wish it released in a loving sane way" and forget about it for another year

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
SU is reaching Venture Bros levels without the excuse of being made by two guys in their spare time.

I think they're trying to emulate Disney's weird scheduling voodoo with Gravity Falls and are really poo poo at it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm basically hesitant to get involved in any kind of show that's not completed these days. Or book series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arist posted:

All the people complaining about it directly hurting their investment are the evidence. Like obviously it's all anecdotal but this isn't a hard science, dude. I'm way behind in large part due to the massive hiatuses killing my drive to watch more whenever it does end up coming back.

It's a soft science actually and while a plethora of anecdotes are evidence of complaint, it's not necessarily conclusive of overall disengagement, especially because the target demographics may be still within bounds.

A lot of scheduling wizardry lives and dies by the numbers it pulls in via ratings, merchandise sales, web hits, etc. It's business. That it has been done before and continues to be done is evidence that, at minimum, it's not utterly fatal to the metrics that they're tracking.

Edit: Looking at the ratings from here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steven_Universe_episodes , episodes from this season that haven't first appeared on the app seem to be within the range of ~1 million viewers from a general decline that started at the beginning of last year (mid-Season 4). Season 5 ratings start off pretty high (higher than anything in S4, especially since it appeared online before the official premiere) and more or less returned to S4 levels. Of note is that several episodes of S5 appeared online as part of the CN App before premiering on TV and those episode have significantly lower ratings compared to those that premiered on broadcast first.

That's one of the other big things in all of this scheduling wizardry now that has to be factored in. We don't know how many app hits these episodes are getting and CN won't ever post the numbers and how they contribute. All we have on our end to gauge how well a show is actually doing in the eyes of the network is whether it get renewed or not and a relative view of Nielsen ratings (which obviously holds less and less water as streaming becomes more and more prevalent). We don't know their metrics. At all. We can only guess. Outside of that, there's the yelling of fans on the internet, and the loudness of it, but that's basically not indicative of much outside a general atmosphere of the fanbase in that age bracket (which may or may not correlate with the actual target demographics). It could mean nothing, it could mean something, but there's not much to say one way or the other without someone actually involved in the production saying something about it.

Edit2: Interesting thing to notice is that Nielsen apparently shows a larger proportion of 12-34yo males watching SU than 12-34yo females. The same thing also appears when the age range is 18-49 but the gap is narrower.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 6, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Man they keep on getting the same guy to voice Santa Claus

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Man they keep on getting the same guy to voice Santa Claus

Yeah he's pretty good at it, although I have a soft spot for when Gilbert Gottfried played the role for GAOBAM's Christmas special

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember the same thing happening with Avatar on Nickelodeon, especially after it went way less episodic in seasons 2 and 3, so it's not necessarily particular to Cartoon Network. It may be common to network execs.

My current theory is that they jump straight into soap opera mode the second any continuity starts, because they assume that means everything is ending on cliffhangers or directly playing off of the episode right before, and otherwise is incomprehensible, which is usually totally untrue, and mostly can be viewed in whatever order, barring specials. For comparison, the more recent seasons of Adventure Time have actually been like that, since they were tighter story arcs, although even then some of them like Islands might work as standalones.

I'm a big fan of disorderly viewing. It's one of the things that people miss out on in these days of binging mindlessly linearly from start to finish on streaming services. I recently watched through all of Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and I watched the third season first, second season (starting with the last episode of season 1) second, and finished up with season 1, and I feel like I had a better experience than I would've otherwise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Thank you for the link informing me of new episodes. :dance:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Compounded when the set could be all arc episodes or all (or almost all) episodes of stand alone townspeople epsiodes which would serve as good relief from the heavyer stuff on a week to week basis but thanks to the format is now sort of a stone of triumph clamped around the series' neck.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 6, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something interesting I noticed watching OK KO is that when compared to Steven Universe and Star Vs, they all are doing similar things, expanding the characters understanding of life, but focusing on different places.

Steven Universe is trying to decipher the past, figure out what the gently caress actually happened between his mother and Pink Diamond.

KO is realising more about his present, the past informs it but doesn't control it and the future is never going to be certain, but he is learning more about who he and his friends are right now and understanding more about the world itself - in one of the latest episodes he became aware of the fact that his world is constructed due to being a cartoon, and learned just to live with that after an initial freak out. No twists, no dream sequence reveals, it really happened, he remembers it, he's just not letting it bother him. Also he is canonically a Dog-boy in a human suit as of an episode that involved him, Rad and Enid being voluntarily turned into "were-animals" to fight a feral robot who was too unpredictable for their usual moves- they were stuck that way however, and ended up at the inverse of a furry convention where animal people pretend to be human using elaborate costumes.

Star is focused on her future, and on dragging her lovely kingdom into it kicking and screaming if she has to because she is tired of Monsters being shat on due to their varying species and wants the Mewni to be somewhere all can live happily. The past helps her understand just how bad things are, but her focus is on getting away from that place and getting somewhere better.

Put it here due to not really fitting the other threads.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Payndz posted:

I liked the Aqua Ladybug/Chat Noir designs tho.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Waffleman_ posted:

I have literally stopped watching or caring about Steven Universe.

Yeah same here, I used to be in love with the show and then they got rid of my favorite characters and dropped any actual plot in favor of bullshitting around with townies. Even those massive spoilers that got leaked couldn't make me interested in seeing how they will come about. Cartoon Network sucks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the other hand, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's episodes. I'm just extraordinarily patient though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Wait who did they get rid of? I’m drawing a blank on that one.