Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m at level 5. Should I wait for better gear to try my hand against the Valkyries? I’m currently rocking the ash set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Romes128 posted:

I’m at level 5. Should I wait for better gear to try my hand against the Valkyries? I’m currently rocking the ash set.

I killed a couple at level 5. Considering how frustrated I felt compared to when I killed a couple more at level 8, I maybe should have waited. But feel free to try them and see how they go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You can easily kill Valkyries as you pass their doors during story play if you're on anything but gmgow.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

JBP posted:

You can easily kill

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Romes128 posted:

You'll do just fine as long as you can parry. I had Týr's wrist and waist + Traveller's chest for all but the last two-ish on Challenging.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

You can easily kill Valkyries as you pass their doors during story play if you're on anything but gmgow.

Maybe if you're turbosperg spergerson the third

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Romes128 posted:

Best to wait. They're not bad when you get their pattern down but when you get most of them down to one or two blips of health they get some stupid amount of damage reduction - like at least 75%. It's the only reason why I have a tough time with them after you see the pattern. Just get overwhelming power so you can survive the one or two mistakes you're allowed to make with these fights.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It was a bold move changing directions but a necessary one too. God of War was getting tired after Ascension (it is very very telling that 1-3 is mentioned extremely often in this thread but Ascension maybe only once or twice, with many posters forgetting GoW2018 is actually the fifth mainline God of War). This was the best possible way to carry on.

Resident Evil was the same, after 6 the series was in mortal danger of fading away. 7 was the best thing Capcom could have done, they knew they couldn't keep chasing the RE4 dragon so they worked to their greatest strengths.

Seventh, actually. A lot of people forget the PSP games, but they DID happen. The first one, Chains of Olympus, gets referenced several times in 3.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
i always think its weird how people get their jimmys rustled so bad by 10/10 scores. after playing the game so many people come out of the woodwork and say poo poo like "it was really more of a 9.5, don't see how it got a 10", or "or its really only just a 8.5/10 game, can't believe people are such sell-outs." it always feels so weird and forced, especially given how often gamers are telling people to not listen to scores, and that they don't really matter in the first place.

that being said the game owned and I really want to play the sequel

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Seventh, actually. A lot of people forget the PSP games, but they DID happen. The first one, Chains of Olympus, gets referenced several times in 3.

So does the second, when Poseidon declares vengeance for what Kratos did to Atlantis.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
One thing I dig about this game in comparison to other video game sequels/reboots is how much love and reverence it has for the original games. Stuff like Mimir flipping poo poo and getting really excited when he finds out you're the ghost of Sparta, Athena having her original voice actor as well as her design being ripped completely from 3, how fighting with the blades of chaos manages to still feel just like it did in the originals, Kratos' own appreciation for Sparta and his homeland, seeing bits of the final boss of 3 recreated in Hel, complete with Christopher Judge reading out Kratos' lines (complete with the final Kratos beating the poo poo out of Zeus animation being ripped straight from 3.) it doesn't feel like the dmc or tomb raider reboots, where the originals feel more an old shame for the developers, only getting brought when they want to poke fun at them and talk about how good the new games are. Sony Santa Monica clearly still loves the original games, and it makes playing through this and the originals at the same time as I've been doing a real treat.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do you think Kratos could still double jump if he wanted to

Do you think he doesn't because his son would laugh at him for it

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

He can't even single jump

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fellatio del Toro posted:

He can't even single jump

He can across small gaps and when he needs to climb up a cliff wall!!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I really dislike the level crap. Even focusing on it in terms of gear, it goes against the entire idea of exploration. I'm running around a previously explored area later on in the game and all of a sudden, from the ground, two enemies, purple difficulty (2 levels above me) and nearly one-shot me. Tell me, how is this even remotely fun? They weren't barred behind story-locked exploration tools, they were in spots I previously explored. Does the game want me to warp around for the next few hours and make note of the enemy level so I don't go there until I'm the appropriate level?

I'm liking the combat more since my last post but I'm starting to actively hate the level mechanics and it's bringing the whole game down. It's such a poorly executed, lovely mechanic that ruins a whole aspect of the game.

This is fun because you were running through an area you already explored and you almost got jacked. How is that not fun? I'm smiling right now!

This is what goes against the entire idea of exploring, fills you with hate, and ruins the game for you? What, you almost got set back ten seconds of play and had to hop back in your little boat and go to the other 90% of the game that's perfectly playable? Do you know what we would say to BOY about that sort of attitude?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's exactly one spot in the game (that I recall) where he has to climb along a ceiling using handholds hanging straight down old GOW and Ninja Warrior style. You can just about see him pause and shake his head going "man, I thought we were past this" .

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Araganzar posted:

This is fun because you were running through an area you already explored and you almost got jacked. How is that not fun? I'm smiling right now!

This is what goes against the entire idea of exploring, fills you with hate, and ruins the game for you? What, you almost got set back ten seconds of play and had to hop back in your little boat and go to the other 90% of the game that's perfectly playable? Do you know what we would say to BOY about that sort of attitude?

I can kind of understand what he means though. It's bizarre having level 6 dudes wandering around outside the tutorial crawl when there's nothing there but maybe a missed collectable. If enemies are going to just jump to end game levels the second you leave maybe the level system isn't needed in the first place.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

bad knees

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Artificial level-relative scaling is stupid as hell, and also pretty much a non-issue in this game

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The only thing the levels seem to really indicate is "how few hits the thing will take to kill you". Purple-levelled stuff was frustrating in the don't-screw-up sense, but if you know how to dodge or stacked vitality (or regen and have room to run in circles for a bit) it's not terrible

I'm a fan of the fact that it's all gear-based levels too, so if you're feeling gutsy and take on content harder than what's intended, as soon as you get the gear rewards from that content you're instantly caught up for whatever the thing after it is

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Charlie Bobson posted:

i always think its weird how people get their jimmys rustled so bad by 10/10 scores. after playing the game so many people come out of the woodwork and say poo poo like "it was really more of a 9.5, don't see how it got a 10", or "or its really only just a 8.5/10 game, can't believe people are such sell-outs." it always feels so weird and forced, especially given how often gamers are telling people to not listen to scores, and that they don't really matter in the first place.

that being said the game owned and I really want to play the sequel

This is the first time I've ever played a 30+ hour game and just gone straight to make a new game and play through again. Closest for me is the Witcher which I played through a second time maybe a month later.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Didn't he need the wings for that? Maybe they're stored under his house too along with the golden fleece and his other artifacts.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 6, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RatHat posted:

Didn't he need the wings for that? Maybe they're stored under his house too along with the golden fleece and his other artifacts.

I don't recall if it was like that in 3 or if that was a triple jump or something but in 1 he had a full blown unexplained double jump. In 2 his double jump was The Most Pathetic Thing that did basically nothing but make him do a squat in the air and I don't recall much of 3 to be honest.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
he got wings in 2, and kept them for 3. wings just let him glide in addition to doublejump

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I was watching an LP and noticed someone got a cypher piece in the same chest where I got a common armour rune (or whatever they're called). What's the deal with that?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Finished killing that drat queen Valk.

Finished the main story too and totally accidentally stumbled upon the final cutscene at the house where Thor shows up. :black101:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

snoremac posted:

I was watching an LP and noticed someone got a cypher piece in the same chest where I got a common armour rune (or whatever they're called). What's the deal with that?

There's only 8 cipher pieces and a lot more than 8 chests. I don't know if the cipher chests are all just "cipher chests" that give 4x muspelheim, 4x niflheim, and then whatever, or if there's explicitly "muspelheim chests" and "niflheim chests" like the apple/horn chests, but either way the fact that they did it that way is a-ok with me across the board.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

There's only 8 cipher pieces and a lot more than 8 chests. I don't know if the cipher chests are all just "cipher chests" that give 4x muspelheim, 4x niflheim, and then whatever, or if there's explicitly "muspelheim chests" and "niflheim chests" like the apple/horn chests, but either way the fact that they did it that way is a-ok with me across the board.

There's also more nornir chests than there are apples or horns and you'll get runes out of them if you do them after getting all apples and horns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The game times you getting the cypher pieces I think and drops them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just got electric arrows. I can tell that at some point I will need some sort of fire creation. Are there other things that gate chests/areas? Or is the fire thing the last one and then I can go back and start clearing out things I missed?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I just got electric arrows. I can tell that at some point I will need some sort of fire creation. Are there other things that gate chests/areas? Or is the fire thing the last one and then I can go back and start clearing out things I missed?

You're missing one more thing that gates content. But thankfully your need to create fire and the thing I'm talking about are all solved in one go so don't sweat it. You'll 100% know it when you get it and after that you can go crazy exploring so long as you be careful of mobs of a higher level.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Found my way into some fire realm with trials. I got to the third set of them, which seems OK considering where in the game I am.

Now I can make a couple of pieces of which set of these epic armors I want. Should I be afraid of not having enough materials? Is there one of these set that are way better than the others?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

You can run that area infinitely and build/max upgrade all of the armors. Don't panic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Knocking this down to easy after the story was the best decision. I should’ve done this earlier.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Does the squirrel summon just give health globes, or does he throw out health and rage?

vv: Ooooooh. I only use electrics for puzzle solving, that'd explain it. Also, I'm gonna go and call this one early: we fight Baldr either in the Witch's Hut to recover the mistletoe arrows, or use the little bit stuck to Atreus' quiver to make him vulnerable. They wouldn't bring up mistletoe specifically otherwise, and while I'm no Norse expert, I definitely remember that being the one thing that could hurt him.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 6, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogart posted:

Does the squirrel summon just give health globes, or does he throw out health and rage?

Light arrows drop health and electric arrows drop rage so you can choose what you need.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'm a couple of hours in, what do the flashing circles before enemy attacks mean? The only ones I've noticed are red and like..gold? Greenish yellow? I thought it might've been a parry indicator but the timing was way off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I'm a couple of hours in, what do the flashing circles before enemy attacks mean? The only ones I've noticed are red and like..gold? Greenish yellow? I thought it might've been a parry indicator but the timing was way off.

Yellow means if you block it it'll break your guard(but you can still parry), red means it's completely unblockable/parryable.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Oh !! ty !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BunLengthHotDog posted:

My 15 year old daughter watched me play the 3 primary storyline games over the years (yay parenting) and absolutely lost her poo poo when Kratos goes home and grabs The Blades of Chaos

I lost my poo poo when this happened. I was bouncing off the loving walls screaming at my TV like a stupid manchild while everything died.

This is exactly why I play video games. Sometimes a game does this and it's awesome.