Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Mob posted:

My favorite game is Open, Pass. I doubt I am alone.
The Extreme Ways moment. I should rewatch the show.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just watched Burglary game, it was one of only times where I saw the strategy unfolding before it was explained (little villiage goes over to large villiage and convince them to send over their members)

Gura behavior changed in this one, I don't know if it was just frustration in him being on the outs on strategy sessions or he grew tired of the game.

The death match game I went back and forth wondering if he was being strategic or just wanting it to end because I cannot imagine that Gura was not counting the cards as well.
I don't think Gura got tired or frustrated, except at the end of the main game when he realized he'd hosed the strategy for it. Card counting also isn't as widely known a skill as you might think, and even if you know about it, it can take some practice. I think Gura just was trying to read Jinho's reaction. A bigger thing is that Gura was the right player for the first half of the show, where social play was more important and even if you misread the game rules, as long as you didn't completely tank you had a good chance of surviving.

The village game is not only when the limits of Gura's approach are revealed, it's when a handful of players who had been laying back suddenly leap into the forefront in ways that are incredible distillations of their personalities, strengths, weaknesses, and play styles. It's a huge turning point in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Kitiara posted:

Jeremy!!!

Hahaha, of all the things to become something I'm known for on the internet, this is the most wholesome and it makes me smile whenever it comes up. Still waiting on season 2, but somehow I have a feeling the moment has passed.

Mob posted:

My favorite game is Open, Pass. I doubt I am alone.

Open Pass is a great episode (Probably my favorite), but I'd definitely shy away from saying it's my favorite game. I think its a terrible game that was saved by a really cool moment.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

God's Judgement is the closest one for me.

This is the resource I've been using for my 3rd rewatch since most of Bumdi's Dailymotion links got nuked. Season 1 is still on youtube at least.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGenius/comments/70jog1/links_to_all_subbed_episodes_of_the_genius_s14/

Crime Scene s3 is still on most of the Korean streaming sites at least.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Although most of the Crime Scene 3 standalone subs (at least the ones from Reddit) aren't available anymore, sadly. I was fortunate enough to get the streams to work for the ones I didn't have, which was only two episodes.

I also just finished watching the season. I had lost interest since it didn't seem as good, but it really picked up by around Episode 4-5 and most of the rest are good. Dongmin makes his ep entertaining at least. Episode 11 was the only really bad one. I thought the finale was quite good. I wasn't totally certain of my guess until about 40 seconds to go when I realized the awards show was part of the game! I'd noticed the clue earlier but though it didn't actually count.

Also really happy for the winner. She's almost the only reason I kept watching the show; hope she returns if there's a Season 4. I do wonder if :tinfoil: will come back, though

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Society Game ep 10 is available: https://www.reddit.com/r/koreanvariety/comments/7zdy2y/society_game_season_2_episode_10_english_subs/

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Warning to the new viewer and schadenfreude for everyone else. DO NOT GOOGLE "genius game garnet" to find out how to get one. If you do so the top result shows who wins season 3.

That was a sad moment for me. :(

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think if any season were to be spoiled, 3 is probably best for it. The winner all but runs a clinic on how to destroy the competition. The games are still great and the politics are fun, but I don't think anybody was surprised by the outcome.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ditto season 2, though?

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Can we talk about Society Game season 2 for a second. What happened to Cabbage and Potato?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

rydiafan posted:

Ditto season 2, though?

Season 2 was more just pure hubris. That winner stomped over everybody because they were all too busy behaving like small children.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Season 2 wasn't a foregone conclusion until Jinho was eliminated. And that wasn't until more than halfway through. Season 3 had the two strongest players forging a completely unbreakable alliance in like week 3.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

rydiafan posted:

Warning to the new viewer and schadenfreude for everyone else. DO NOT GOOGLE "genius game garnet" to find out how to get one. If you do so the top result shows who wins season 3.

That was a sad moment for me. :(

Did you find out how to get one tho

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

No. Closest I got was here: http://wol-in.com/?portfolio_page=000-the-genius-garnets

Although looking again there's somebody 3d printing them: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2590178

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Can we talk about Society Game season 2 for a second. What happened to Cabbage and Potato?

I'm still so worried.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think if any season were to be spoiled, 3 is probably best for it. The winner all but runs a clinic on how to destroy the competition. The games are still great and the politics are fun, but I don't think anybody was surprised by the outcome.

Somebody forgot the sheer :catstare: of Monorail.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I vaguely remember news of The Genius getting licensed out to networks in other countries. Has anything come of that yet?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Oh man, for some reason I didn't expect bumdi's links to ever get killed, but I guess it does make sense. I'm sure if I want to do a rewatch I can track them down, but man that sucks after they put in all that work and were basically THE reason it caught on at all outside of Korea.

Still, this does show that Genius VODs aren't necessarily going to be available forever, so if anyone is on the fence about checking out this fine show get off your butt and do it, it's far and away the best Korean T.V. I've seen and makes me hate that no U.S. reality shows (that I know of at least) have as much of a game focus, and those that do are almost exclusively physical challenges instead of mental ones which is a drat shame.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

NowonSA posted:

Oh man, for some reason I didn't expect bumdi's links to ever get killed, but I guess it does make sense. I'm sure if I want to do a rewatch I can track them down, but man that sucks after they put in all that work and were basically THE reason it caught on at all outside of Korea.

Still, this does show that Genius VODs aren't necessarily going to be available forever, so if anyone is on the fence about checking out this fine show get off your butt and do it, it's far and away the best Korean T.V. I've seen and makes me hate that no U.S. reality shows (that I know of at least) have as much of a game focus, and those that do are almost exclusively physical challenges instead of mental ones which is a drat shame.

They're on MEGA, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people have them on their harddisks at this point (and at least I'm keeping mine 5ever), so they're out there, even if we have to reupload them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://twitter.com/Bumdidlyump/status/991137931237642241

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The preview looked more like a typical variety program, so a big stinker.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Gildiss posted:

The preview looked more like a typical variety program, so a big stinker.

It's from the PD of Running Man with 2 of the cast members of Running Man, so go in expecting that rather than anything like Crime Scene.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

qbert posted:

It's from the PD of Running Man with 2 of the cast members of Running Man, so go in expecting that rather than anything like Crime Scene.

I like Running Man and I like Crime Scene, so this at least has the potential to work for me and I'm definitely going to check it out. The "Spy" episodes of RM are typically better than average, so making that a constant gimmick while everyone plays characters to some degree seems like a fun recipe, at least on paper. Definitely don't expect the level of detail and seriousness of Crime Scene, but it seems like there'd be more laughs per minute (although Crime Scene could hit some glorious comedy high notes that seemed to land even better with how far apart they typically were). Always glad to see more Korean stuff on Netflix in general.

I actually really hope they gobble up The Genius and add that too, they have all the money in the world to do it with and I want it to get the more mainstream attention it deserves.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I swear, the Korean media must have a small army of Yoo Jae-Suk clones. That dude is in everything.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tonfa posted:

Somebody forgot the sheer :catstare: of Monorail.

Is that the one where Dongmin knew it couldn't be solved, played a move anyway which psyched out his opponent so hard, even though she thought it couldn't be solved, she played on anyway? And when it went back to Dongmin he immediately went "Can't be solved."

Because that was bawse as gently caress.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought somebody broke Monorail in season 4. Wasn't it titty god?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

It's not a solve, you put down two pieces which leaves only one way possible to complete it. Either the other side knows this and wins immediately or they put down a piece and you can say it's impossible. They could theoretically put down a piece in the right place by accident and then you solve it and win.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

CeeJee posted:

It's not a solve, you put down two pieces which leaves only one way possible to complete it. Either the other side knows this and wins immediately or they put down a piece and you can say it's impossible. They could theoretically put down a piece in the right place by accident and then you solve it and win.

I can't recall if that was a Titty idea, but it is just the sort of high stakes mind game I'd expect from Titty God. Now see, that kind of super high risk thing I'm fine with, when you do lame poker poo poo taking advantage of their dumb "when it's a draw keep flipping cards and high card wins" rule to eliminate one of my faves... not so much.

I wish Genius didn't have proper villains, and I'm glad it really only happened a few times, but man my hatred for that deathmatch still lingers years later.

Artelier posted:

Is that the one where Dongmin knew it couldn't be solved, played a move anyway which psyched out his opponent so hard, even though she thought it couldn't be solved, she played on anyway? And when it went back to Dongmin he immediately went "Can't be solved."

Yep, sure was! Super fun stuff, and high stakes given who was involved.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Artelier posted:

Kinda, Dongmin massively hosed up, it wasn't intentional, he played a dumb move that left it unsolvable. After that his only choice was to act as if it was still solvable even though it clearly wasn't and hope that his opponent wilted, which she did.

Nah his opening move is a loss given perfect play. There is a opening move win though.

NowonSA posted:

lame poker poo poo taking advantage of their dumb "when it's a draw keep flipping cards and high card wins" rule to eliminate one of my faves... not so much.

The more I think about that the more I think it was actually a really smart play. In gambling games the superior player's advantage becomes larger with a bigger sample size of hands/bets, if you know you're inferior and are more likely to lose the longer the game goes on, trying to make it as luck based as possible by going all in whenever your chance of winning the hand is >50% is a good strategy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

The more I think about that the more I think it was actually a really smart play. In gambling games the superior player's advantage becomes larger with a bigger sample size of hands/bets, if you know you're inferior and are more likely to lose the longer the game goes on, trying to make it as luck based as possible by going all in whenever your chance of winning the hand is >50% is a good strategy.

Yeah if you're outmatched if possible you should just go all-in on the first hand without even looking at the cards.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wasn't that after the mess with Doohee? That death match would have stung less if it had been anybody else, or if we didn't know that Jiwon was such a little prick.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah tactically it wasn't a bad move, I just really didn't like who did it, who it was done against, and that the rule existed in the first place when I don't see a real reason not to just split the pot and resume play.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Wife and I watched the first episode of Busted. It wasn't bad. It wasn't so much a murder mystery as it was a bunch of wacky stunts, though. So it was less Crime Scene and more The Crystal Maze.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

rydiafan posted:

Wife and I watched the first episode of Busted. It wasn't bad. It wasn't so much a murder mystery as it was a bunch of wacky stunts, though. So it was less Crime Scene and more The Crystal Maze.

Yeah, kind of an escape room theme to things, like variety mixed with more craziness than usual. I was certainly impressed by the production values in the pilot, lots of different locations and they were way more elaborate than they had to be.

Kind of too much happening with too many people to really dive deep on stuff like Crime Scene does, but it's some goofy fun. Seeing such elaborate setups made me wish for more Genius, since it would be multiple times better and would inherently have to be SO much cheaper to do, even factoring in prize money and designing games.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'm enjoying it even if it's a bit extra in the fixed/campy departments, but at least they really lean into it

In episode 2, when they enter the hedge maze,that flagbearer leading the walking group looks an awful lot like Bignose to me

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Society Game episodes 11 and 12 from season 2 are out.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Anaconda Rifle posted:

It will be hard to remember who is who after so many months. Dongmin was still there, I can't remember anyone else apart from MJ Kim, the Big Guy and the Soccer rear end in a top hat who are all out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I hope Bumdi is okay :/

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

I genuinely forgot Society Game was still unfinished insofar as this thread's concerned. I hadn't been keeping up with it admittedly, but its release schedule has been so dire for s2 that I'm not sure watching it as the subs drop is even all that feasible.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Legit spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
The last two episodes of society game are finally up!