Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zeal posted:

i learned about O'Hare's schizophrenia during my last rewatch of the show last year, and drat if the plots of several season 1 episodes must have been trying for someone with his condition. sinclair gets mind-whammied some way or other every other episode

Didn't the stress of playing a war veteran with mental health issues trigger his own problems in an inescapable way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pentyne posted:

Didn't the stress of playing a war veteran with mental health issues trigger his own problems in an inescapable way?

Doubtful. O'Hare was diagnosed halfway through filming S1, but it wasn't an overnight flip; he'd definitely been having some kind of problem all along. Working with aliens might have made it more noticeable faster, is all.

If you're inclined to the morbid, you could always watch S1 in production order and see how O'Hare's performance changes. In narrative order the key episodes are Grail and Eyes, which aired consecutively but were 13 apart in production.

Infection
Soul Hunter
Midnight on the Firing Line
Born to the Purple
Believers
And the Sky Full of Stars
The War Prayer
Parliament of Dreams
Grail
Mind War
Survivors
Chrysalis
Deathwalker
By Any Means Necessary
Legacies
Signs and Portents
The Quality of Mercy
Babylon Squared
TKO
A Voice in the Wilderness (1/2)
Eyes

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, I found the worst performance to be Furlan's over the whole show- O'Hare did reasonably well with the material he was given.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Panzeh posted:

Honestly, I found the worst performance to be Furlan's over the whole show- O'Hare did reasonably well with the material he was given.

I didn't have any problems with the main cast, though obviously some were stronger than others. The guests-of-the-week though... man there were some bad actors there.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Flatscan posted:

JMS and his walkabout bullshit is never the good bit of anything.

It's the whole plot of Midnight Nation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's not enough to make up for Grounded.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Doc and Marcus are a cute couple, maybe the cutest

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Senor Dog posted:

Doc and Marcus are a cute couple, maybe the cutest

That is a conversation that can only end in a gunshot.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Jedit posted:

Infection
Soul Hunter
Midnight on the Firing Line
Born to the Purple
Believers
And the Sky Full of Stars
The War Prayer
Parliament of Dreams
Grail
Mind War
Survivors
Chrysalis
Deathwalker
By Any Means Necessary
Legacies
Signs and Portents
The Quality of Mercy
Babylon Squared
TKO
A Voice in the Wilderness (1/2)
Eyes

Wow. I didn't realise how eccentric the production order was for S1. The finale is practically mid-season.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dirty posted:

Wow. I didn't realise how eccentric the production order was for S1. The finale is practically mid-season.

That's more common than you think. Most full season shows are made in two production batches, one of 13 to be shown before Christmas and one of 9 or 10 (known as the back nine) to be shown after, with a break in the middle. New shows tend to get only the first production batch and are filled out with the back nine if they look to succeed. This is why so many shows cancelled in the first season have 13 episode runs - occasionally 14 if there was a pilot. Shows that carry on with 22 ep seasons after a 13 episode S1, such as Buffy, are usually mid-season replacements that start airing after Christmas.

If you look at B5's order, Chrysalis was made in the first batch so it could be used in place as a cliffhanger if the show was brought in mid-season. All the eps filmed in the back nine are filler eps that could air anywhere or eps that contribute to the long term plot. If B5 had been a mid-season, those eps would have aired before 201 and they would have filmed a couple more episodes with O'Hare to make Sinclair being recalled to Earth the mid-season cliffhanger for S2.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

B5 coming to Amazon Prime in June: https://news.avclub.com/leprechaun-origins-and-some-other-stuff-coming-to-ama-1826083554

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

And this is an interesting twist to that. Probably won't happen.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997029449097871360
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997029770037620736
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997030017832861701
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997030333848535040
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/997030628729143296

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Please let it happen. :stwoon:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He said that the VFX elements were rendered at 2K to film for the archival masters. :circlefap:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

He said that the VFX elements were rendered at 2K to film for the archival masters. :circlefap:

O my God, please please let this happen. I have goose bumps just thinking about it. And my eyes are beginning to tear up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hope he's contacted someone high up at Prime directly as well rather than just via Twitter, otherwise I can see them paying as much attention to him as Joe Schmoe offering to redo all the VFX for free on his PC.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

I mean I get the politics angle recently discussed, but if this is the case, why have we been suffering all these years with the apparently LD-sourced upscaled vfx on the DVDs? Just for the widescreen? Why has no one just straight up transferred these high quality masters I never even knew existed until now for a Blu-ray or even an updated DVD release? That seems like easy money to get a whole bunch of nerds like me to re-buy them, because I totally would even if they stream an HQ transfer, because our rural 4G internet is not completely reliable.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Not to mention, at 2k, cropped and upscaled vfx shots for a widescreen transfer really wouldn't look that bad, if they wanted to put juuuust a little more work into it....

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I mean I get the politics angle recently discussed, but if this is the case, why have we been suffering all these years with the apparently LD-sourced upscaled vfx on the DVDs? Just for the widescreen? Why has no one just straight up transferred these high quality masters I never even knew existed until now for a Blu-ray or even an updated DVD release? That seems like easy money to get a whole bunch of nerds like me to re-buy them, because I totally would even if they stream an HQ transfer, because our rural 4G internet is not completely reliable.

Supposedly because nobody at WB thinks anyone would buy it and they just keep ignoring JMS. :shrug:

One of the things I absolutely would do if I ever won the lottery is try to buy B5 from WB. Or at least fund a restoration project ala Star Trek.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Supposedly because nobody at WB thinks anyone would buy it and they just keep ignoring JMS. :shrug:

One of the things I absolutely would do if I ever won the lottery is try to buy B5 from WB. Or at least fund a restoration project ala Star Trek.

:same:
:yossame:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Not if I can win the lottery first!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I never play the lottery, so your chance is as good as mine.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Me either. No wonder no one's saved B5 yet.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

You have to think like an established Hollywood executive:
Scenario 1: someone offers to buy the B5 property. Nobody is going to do that unless they plan to produce a new series. That series will compete with WB properties. If it flops, it might still hurt WB profits. If it's a wild success, then you are the idiot who sold a valuable property for too little money. If nobody is doing anything with the property because you're still sitting on it, nobody (who matters to you) will complain.

Scenario 2: somehow, WB funds a new half-series of B5. 13 episode order, cost around $5 million per episode = around $65-100 million if you expect some cost overruns. If the series flops, WB loses lots of money doing something dumb (why reboot/revive such an old property?) and it was your doing. If it's a wild success, the people getting the credit are likely JMS and the original people who green-lit the show, not you. If you were going to take the risk, you would do it on the property that you licensed/discovered yourself and be able to take all the credit when it succeeds.

Scenario 3: an outside actor (like Amazon) funds a new half series of B5, paying WB both for the rights and to produce the show. It's easiest to say yes in this instance as it was Amazon being stupid if the show flops. But even this one is a difficult "yes," because again, the execs approving the deal can't take credit for B5. They had no role in it whatsoever. Amazon and JMS get the praise for reviving the series and there are articles on how it all started with the PTN idea. Soon Kung Fu: The Legend Continues gets remade and you and your fellow execs all look like idiots.

If you, as exec, find and cultivate the next Game of Thrones, you look like a guru. If you respond to GoT's success by saying "let's reboot Wizards and Warriors," you look like an idiot even if the idea works.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bring back Kung Fu, Amazon.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Narsham posted:

If you, as exec, find and cultivate the next Game of Thrones, you look like a guru. If you respond to GoT's success by saying "let's reboot Wizards and Warriors," you look like an idiot even if the idea works.

I don’t disagree and I’m sure there’s an unhealthy amount of self-preservationist thinking going on in there but there has to be a way to make it work. Lost in Space got a reboot after all.

Quite honestly I think a B5 reboot is a bad idea. I think it was everything all falling mostly into place at the right time that made it magical. I’d be more interested in making sure JMS could do whatever he wanted with it from now on.

(And also now on my list of lottery dreams is rebooting Wizards and Warriors. )

E: also on this list is hiring Brian Blessed to remake famous scenes from movies and TV in his own Blessed style. :swoon: I’d better win before he dies.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bring back Kung Fu, Amazon.

unfortunately mr. carradine is a little tied up at the moment

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Leave B5 alone, remake Crusade so it's actually watchable

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Leave B5 alone, remake Crusade so it's actually watchable

Is that even possible?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iymarra posted:

Is that even possible?

Burn it down and salt the earth. Then make techomages nothing more then trickster con men.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

A B5 reboot could be kinda interesting just to see if it follows the original B5 exactly or if it takes some of the intended story paths which had to be rewritten, like maybe we'd get more Sinclair, more Na'Toth, all Lyta and no Talia, or Talia with resolution, a longer civil war arc, tighter Minbari and telepath arcs... all kinds of stuff.

But it all falls apart once I try to imagine a recasted G'Kar. It can't be done.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Babylon 5's story has been told, and we don't need it to be redone or revamped. I'd rather have new TV series drawing inspiration from it.

There haven't been any shows about alien politics for a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Iymarra posted:

Is that even possible?

If Ted Turner isn't allowed within 100 miles of it. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with Crusade.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Quite honestly I think a B5 reboot is a bad idea. I think it was everything all falling mostly into place at the right time that made it magical. I’d be more interested in making sure JMS could do whatever he wanted with it from now on.

It is a bad idea. I said it in the OP but it bears repeating: you could not make a show like B5 today. It's too earnest; it gets dark without cynicism; the characters are flawed but still undeniably Big drat Heroes.

Buuuut then The Orville happened, so I don't know anything. No, I'm not saying that's in the same league, or that all my reasoning applies in the same way, just that in some ways it's a throwback that I wouldn't have thought could possibly happen or succeed in 201X.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It is a bad idea. I said it in the OP but it bears repeating: you could not make a show like B5 today. It's too earnest; it gets dark without cynicism; the characters are flawed but still undeniably Big drat Heroes.

Buuuut then The Orville happened, so I don't know anything. No, I'm not saying that's in the same league, or that all my reasoning applies in the same way, just that in some ways it's a throwback that I wouldn't have thought could possibly happen or succeed in 201X.

I'd say Lost in Space managed that too, actually.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rebooting B5 would be dumb, but the setting has plenty of room for another series in it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I could dig that.

I haven't seen Lost in Space yet but my wife has seen a bit of it and said she thinks it's ok so far. Maybe I'll give it a chance after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I could dig that.

I haven't seen Lost in Space yet but my wife has seen a bit of it and said she thinks it's ok so far. Maybe I'll give it a chance after all.

Cool little bit for when you get to where they show Dr Smith's past; The real Dr Zachary Smith is played by Bill Mumy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Grand Fromage posted:

Rebooting B5 would be dumb, but the setting has plenty of room for another series in it.

I think Crusade and Legend of the Rangers has shown that's not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Angry Salami posted:

I think Crusade and Legend of the Rangers has shown that's not true.

JMS only having one good story in him doesn't mean no one else could write one.