Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

You know, I don't think I'd ever even thought of that. Has this been covered by science fiction at all? Because if not, holy poo poo.

SM Stirling wrote a series where Nantucket gets transported back to the Stone Age, and there was a subplot about how they accidentally-on-purpose killed off 90% of the natives on the Eastern seaboard. Sadly it was not a very good series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The only thing I can think of of the top of my head is Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, and it's not really like that, although it is a plot point. She does a fine line in time travel stories, though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wheatpuppy posted:

SM Stirling wrote a series where Nantucket gets transported back to the Stone Age, and there was a subplot about how they accidentally-on-purpose killed off 90% of the natives on the Eastern seaboard. Sadly it was not a very good series.

Going back and infecting the amerindian population with smallpox and other assorted diseases a few hundred years before Europeans turn up would be pretty sweet. That assumes they can rebuild their population so instead of a decimated continent with a few shattered tribes whitey would encounter a millions of mostly healthy and disease resistant locals who could if not push their poo poo in at least resist invasion a little better.

On second reading I think I just promoted eugenics and genocide. Oops, tried to do the right thing and became Chronohitler. :shrug:

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I literally came here to recommend Doomsday Book, which you should all loving read immediately, it’s so good. Maybe bring tissues.

It’s one of those books that reads like a ripping adventure and then when you get to the end you realize that it’s actually a literary masterpiece of the human condition throughout history and the triumph of etc etc just read it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Outrail posted:

Going back and infecting the amerindian population with smallpox and other assorted diseases a few hundred years before Europeans turn up would be pretty sweet. That assumes they can rebuild their population so instead of a decimated continent with a few shattered tribes whitey would encounter a millions of mostly healthy and disease resistant locals who could if not push their poo poo in at least resist invasion a little better.

On second reading I think I just promoted eugenics and genocide. Oops, tried to do the right thing and became Chronohitler. :shrug:

Can't be worse than the official Chronotrigger remaster.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, I'm serious. I feel like a complete idiot (what's new right?), but I either hadn't thought of it or had thought of it and forgot, and I can't off the top of my head think of a story where that featured, and I read one or two time-travel ones recently.

Not time travel but that was the spoiler ending of the war of the worlds.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Spanish Manlove posted:

Poor Ga'blax'eh, thought of influenza and died.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Booger Presley posted:

I think it's funny that these goons think they'll go back in time and hang out with famous people. You'll go back to a historic time and still get wedgied then shoved into a locker.

im great at touching butts so gently caress U

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Anyone remember the guy who had a disturbing knowledge of pedophile symbols? I think it was an auspol thread and started with him offhand mentioning that the pauls symbol was a pedo symbol when reversed. May have been deleted, honestly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Outrail posted:

go back and infect them all with cowpox instead

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Torchlighter posted:

Anyone remember the guy who had a disturbing knowledge of pedophile symbols? I think it was an auspol thread and started with him offhand mentioning that the pauls symbol was a pedo symbol when reversed. May have been deleted, honestly.

Are pedo symbols like hobo sign or something

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

bad day posted:

gently caress that ima go back to the 50’s and invent rap music. Ice Ice Baby, Can’t Touch This, One Mic - I wrote those and performed those songs.

“Puffy? Puffy! It’s your cousin Marvin! Marvin Combs!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Sagebrush posted:

go back and infect them all with cowpox instead

Go back further and teach the first peoples entering the Americas to domesticate animals. Then contact between American and European civilizations will likely cause civilization-ending plagues on both sides. :)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah, exactly. And yet that didn't feature at all in H. G. Wells` Time Machine.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Outrail posted:

As a native american, that first sentence sure put me in a bad mood.

Also it already happened.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt..._off_by_an.html

"It’s estimated as many as nine out of 10 coastal Indians were killed in the epidemic between 1616 and 1619."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cumshitter posted:

"Are you trying to buy your way back into our lives?" Is a pretty valid question but,

"Yes. Is $3 million each enough?" Is a pretty good answer to that question.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Olaf The Stout posted:

As a native american, that first sentence sure put me in a bad mood.

Also it already happened.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt..._off_by_an.html

"It’s estimated as many as nine out of 10 coastal Indians were killed in the epidemic between 1616 and 1619."

That’s post-Columbian.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
It's not time travel, but I was reading the Doomsday Book synopsis and it reminded me of two books I read. The first was The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. Basically the Black Death kills 99% of the European population and history changes a whooole lot. I'm still not sure if I like the reincarnation scenes, but they do fit the book.

There's also this kickass sci-fi book called Eifelheim by Michael Flynn where a modern historian is trying to figure out why a small town in Germany was wiped out by the Black Death and never resettled, unlike the other areas around it. It kinda bounces back and forth from the present and the past and is very good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

empty sea posted:

There's also this kickass sci-fi book called Eifelheim by Michael Flynn where a modern historian is trying to figure out why a small town in Germany was wiped out by the Black Death and never resettled, unlike the other areas around it. It kinda bounces back and forth from the present and the past and is very good.

He'll probably have a lot of time to write a sequel in prison. :v:

Yeah, I know, wrong Michael Flynn; I actually read a few of his recent works in Analog and wasn't impressed, but maybe I'll get my hands on Eifelheim and give it a go.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bad day posted:

gently caress that ima go back to the 50’s and invent rap music. Ice Ice Baby, Can’t Touch This, One Mic - I wrote those and performed those songs.

I read a fantasy book where some guys went back to the time of Cuchulain and one of them was ordered to start singing and he busts out a wobbly off key version of "When Irish eyes are smiling" and is hailed as the greatest musician ever

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Hjalmar posted:

2014 - horny on private
2016 - horny on main
2018 - horny on work
2020 - screaming for cock into a megaphone
2022 - uploading nudes to the hubble telescope

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Outrail posted:

Why wouldn't you go back and give them the smallpox vaccine?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dear Prudence posted:

Why wouldn't you go back and give them the smallpox vaccine?

Why does everyone want to go back and kill baby Hitler rather than teaching him to paint?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why does everyone want to go back and kill baby Hitler rather than teaching him to paint?

Less work and easier to tell when you're finished.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The fair thing to do would be to monitor all human civilizations throughout history and make sure all populations get exposed to the same diseases at roughly the same point at time so that when they do eventually make contact there are no surprises.

Only kings get the vaccines though. Papa’s got a nasty opium habit and he needs the patronage.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Plus it's about the only way to kill a baby without people trying to make you feel all guilty about it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

Plus it's about the only way to kill a baby without people trying to make you feel all guilty about it.

loving liberals.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Personal Issues: Me [42 M] with my online game commumity, 1 year, read private threads, hurt and embarrassed at how I'm viewed by my peers.

I've spent the last 10 months or so in a tight knit gaming community of around 60 players. High activity, lots of conversations, generally engaging and rewarding.

Due to a glitch, I was able to read months of private communications between leaders of my gaming community. Probably shouldn't have. I was hurt and embarrassed to see that I'm viewed not as a positive contributor, but as a significant annoyance and even a problem.

I think I'll be leaving the community. Not sure if I should take the experience as I need to change, or I just need to find a community that's a better fit for my style.

tl;dr Thought I was a contributing member of gaming community. Turns out I'm more of a nuisance. Do I change me, or change communities?

dudeness posted:

In his comments he says he just enjoys debating topics.

Sooo he's a mormon, he enjoys debating topics. This man is glenn beck and the admins were right to hate him.

La Brea Carpet posted:

Yeah he should take the hint that sometimes less is Mormon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

Less work and easier to tell when you're finished.

Art is never finished, only abandoned.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jedit posted:

Art is never finished, only abandoned.

Hmm, maybe the difference is smaller than I thought.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Facebook Aunt posted:

There was a lot of stuff he didn't want to learn that's why he was rejected.

If anything kidnap baby Hitler, bring him 100 years forward in time , dump him at an orphanage, and he grows up to be another lovely webcomic artist.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm sure Hitler would love Reddit.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Progressively move further back in time and kidnap more and more hitlers as you go. Let them duke it out in a thunderdome and unleash ultrahitler upon the late cretaceous.

Baby hitler vs kidnapped nonagenarian hitler aged in fine sherry oak, who would be the best match against the triceratops?

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 22:02 on May 6, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Karate Bastard posted:

Progressively move further back in time and kidnap more and more hitlers as you go. Let them duke it out in a thunderdome and unleash ultrahitler upon the late cretaceous.

Baby hitler vs kidnapped nonagenarian hitler aged in fine sherry oak, who would be the best match against the triceratops?

Now I really wish I had my tablet here so I could start the paint thread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Space Hitler vs Mechahitler

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Trig Discipline posted:

If you kill a baby just claim to be a time traveler and that baby was future Hitler and the cops will just let you go. True story.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Although it’s probably not true, I imagine a baby but with grown up hitlers face, mustache and all. Anyone else do this? Tell me in a PM

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The whole point of that "would you kill baby Hitler" thought experiment is that it's trying to create a conflict between avoiding something we see as abhorrent (killing babies) with avoiding something else we see as abhorrent (mass murder and genocide). There's no punch to it if you could prevent the second alternative from happening in a way that obviates the first.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'd give baby Hitler the same option I give every baby: call it, heads or tails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Although it’s probably not true, I imagine a baby but with grown up hitlers face, mustache and all. Anyone else do this? Tell me in a PM

Kids who look like that you just stomp them out. It's for the best.