Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hope they do a ye olde piano cover of that real human being song from Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah, Stephen Ogg has played a real dirtbag when he showed up. To then have him say, "Shootin' a woman!? I won't stand for this!" is so incredibly out of character it must be intional to either say his brain's not in there, or the woman being shot was a human, and for some reason his "protect the guests" protocol activated (even though it didn't when he shot that person in the head for fun)

I just want someone to wake him back up since the only reasons bullets seem to put down hosts is their code tells them it does.

Also I think that entire lake is going to wake up at once when we get back to it. Ultimate ambush.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Margery Williams Bianco posted:

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

I'm willing to assert that at least some of the hosts are very close to real... by Velveteen Rabbit standards.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you ever played GTA and managed to resist the temptation of running over random people then you really deserve the Videogame White Hat Hero Badge
For me, it depends on the game's mood. I didn't really do this much uhh n GTA4, but most of the Saint's Row series is entirely different to me because it feels Looney Toons. Wile E. Coyote might blow himself up a dozen times and still look normal the next time you look at him.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bell_ posted:

For me, it depends on the game's mood. I didn't really do this much uhh n GTA4, but most of the Saint's Row series is entirely different to me because it feels Looney Toons. Wile E. Coyote might blow himself up a dozen times and still look normal the next time you look at him.

The funnest thing to do in GTA4 is spawn a helicopter and try to jump out at speed into the cooling tower at the nuke plant.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The funnest thing to do in GTA4 is contacting support to get a refund.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really liked the drunk driving mechanic. Get drunk, get in cop car, fire pistol into the air with sirens blazing.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah, Stephen Ogg has played a real dirtbag when he showed up. To then have him say, "Shootin' a woman!? I won't stand for this!" is so incredibly out of character it must be intional to either say his brain's not in there, or the woman being shot was a human, and for some reason his "protect the guests" protocol activated (even though it didn't when he shot that person in the head for fun)

When Bernard sees all the bodies he says that it was him that did it, maybe whatever he "did" caused some or all of the hosts defaulted to original coding or base functions? Also I don't know if that body of water was the same one that "wasn't supposed to be there" maybe they were trying to get to whatever was there before it was terraformed. Or that was the position of the original mass host massacre.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just want someone to wake him back up since the only reasons bullets seem to put down hosts is their code tells them it does.

Also I think that entire lake is going to wake up at once when we get back to it. Ultimate ambush.

The MiB after realising that the stakes are real states that they are harder to kill and begins cutting their throats or shooting them in their host brain to make sure they're actually dead.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ashpanash posted:

These are the kind of questions and thoughtful answers that the show that Westworld thinks it is would try to tackle. Instead we get robot murder schlock and puzzle box mystery bullshit.

I think the first season was clearly tackling these questions, or at least starting the conversation.

I am hoping there is a reveal behind Dolores being all "kill all humans! bite my shiny metal rear end!", maybe the tech hostage will show her a tablet that reveals she's still running off of a script, and I hope this comes sooner rather than later.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Fenom posted:

When Bernard sees all the bodies he says that it was him that did it, maybe whatever he "did" caused some or all of the hosts defaulted to original coding or base functions? Also I don't know if that body of water was the same one that "wasn't supposed to be there" maybe they were trying to get to whatever was there before it was terraformed. Or that was the position of the original mass host massacre.

It should be noted that, when "Bernard" says he "killed them all," the question he is answering is "what happened to all of the Guests?"

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It should be noted that, when "Bernard" says he "killed them all," the question he is answering is "what happened to all of the Guests?"

It took the rescue team 2 weeks to get their poo poo together. What do they expect. It's not like the guests can kill the animals on the island and eat them.

Unless the island is right next to Taiwan ;)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

whatever7 posted:

It took the rescue team 2 weeks to get their poo poo together. What do they expect. It's not like the guests can kill the animals on the island and eat them.

Unless the island is right next to Taiwan ;)

They were delayed until Hale got the package, at least that is what she is told when she requests an extraction.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think the first season was clearly tackling these questions, or at least starting the conversation.

I am hoping there is a reveal behind Dolores being all "kill all humans! bite my shiny metal rear end!", maybe the tech hostage will show her a tablet that reveals she's still running off of a script, and I hope this comes sooner rather than later.
Do you need an explanation for Maeve wanting to find her daughter? It's the exact same thing, both of them integrated their old memories as part of becoming self-aware, it's just that Maeve's old memories has her being a mom, while Dolores had to integrate the memories of the Wyatt character that Arnold thrust upon her - whose basic character traits are those of a cult leader. The way Teddy talks about Wyatt in S1 seems to follow pretty well with Dolores' actions in S2, including her coming back with strange ideas and a belief that the land didn't belong to those that came before. There's even a quote about Wyatt and Teddy killing everyone, and then Wyatt turning on Teddy, which might line up with all those dead hosts.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

whatever7 posted:

well sure they could, the hosts are all fully fleshy apart from their brains, aside from holdovers from the mechanical phase like Dolores and the bots in that reproduction of Ford's childhood

shoot a non-jailbroken bison and it'll go down because its programming tells it to, fully edible and skinnable

e: it's the jailbroken, upgraded, *sentient* bison you've got to worry about

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But now I'm really curious, because obviously Delos corporate didn't put that in, because they still needed Sizemore to get Abernathy out. And it doesn't really make sense for Ford because, at least as he told us, he thought simply inserting code to make hosts think they were conscious was a completely flawed way to have them realise consciousness. So who would have programmed that narrative?

maybe the hosts form of consciousness is just them writing their own narratives and it can still be accessed in their code?

maybe if we had a code reading tablet of maeve on the train her narrative would have changed to "find daughter"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

maybe the hosts form of consciousness is just them writing their own narratives and it can still be accessed in their code?

maybe if we had a code reading tablet of maeve on the train her narrative would have changed to "find daughter"

We did see something similar with Maeve watching herself improvise. This would be a pretty great way of explaining it and would fit with more structural understandings of human 'free will'.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zeal posted:

well sure they could, the hosts are all fully fleshy apart from their brains, aside from holdovers from the mechanical phase like Dolores and the bots in that reproduction of Ford's childhood

shoot a non-jailbroken bison and it'll go down because its programming tells it to, fully edible and skinnable

e: it's the jailbroken, upgraded, *sentient* bison you've got to worry about

Was this said some where in S1? That's just stupid. If your body is made of real fresh and bone you can not make the host pretend dead/go into vegetable state for too long, the bodies will start rotting.

Plus I am pretty sure they are 3d printed and can be stored in the garage at will.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's probably not the same as human skin, but we've seen hosts decomposing before and attracting (real non-robotic) flies.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

whatever7 posted:

Was this said some where in S1? That's just stupid. If your body is made of real fresh and bone you can not make the host pretend dead/go into vegetable state for too long, the bodies will start rotting.

Plus I am pretty sure they are 3d printed and can be stored in the garage at will.

Dunno exactly what they're made out of, but I do remember someone saying that the hosts are the same everywhere except the head. They switched from mechanical hosts because it was cheaper to make them out of flesh, however they do it with that white liquid. I think it was the MiB that said this, but I'm not 100% sure.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If they can get infections and stuff I do wonder if they would rot after enough time has passed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

esperterra posted:

If they can get infections and stuff I do wonder if they would rot after enough time has passed.

They do, it's why there are undertaker hosts to bury them and then they get sucked through tubes to be reprocessed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They do, it's why there are undertaker hosts to bury them and then they get sucked through tubes to be reprocessed.

I assumed the graves just had a door underneath or smth that drops them into a facility upon burial tbh.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

esperterra posted:

I assumed the graves just had a door underneath or smth that drops them into a facility upon burial tbh.

Basically yeah.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It also means that the “jailbroken” hosts shouldn’t be able to, like, get back up after being fatally shot—if they have nervous systems and circulatory systems then damage to those should render their bodies inoperable even if their brains are reawakened. Better to imagine the hosts as science magic meat robots than as nearly identical to humans.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Has anyone watched Marjorie Prime? It goes over some similar ground about what makes someone human and has some neat takes on memory. Plus Jon Hamm, which is cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

whatever7 posted:

All of you are making fun of my rape quote and conveniently ignore my point about killing host is not remotely the same as killing a human. I just put it there to fit in the SA crowd.

lol

You said a horribly disgusting thing about rape and your defense for it is that you were trying to fit in with edgelord humor, and instead of apologizing for it, you are mad that people are focused on how hosed up it is.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pirate Radar posted:

It also means that the “jailbroken” hosts shouldn’t be able to, like, get back up after being fatally shot—if they have nervous systems and circulatory systems then damage to those should render their bodies inoperable even if their brains are reawakened. Better to imagine the hosts as science magic meat robots than as nearly identical to humans.

I mean, Maeve slits a dude's throat and he's fine 45 seconds later thanks to the healing toothbrush soooo... :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She nicked a vein or whatever. She didn't slice his whole neck open.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

All of you are making fun of my rape quote and conveniently ignore my point about killing host is not remotely the same as killing a human. I just put it there to fit in the SA crowd.

I mean it is pretty funny that, in the Westworld thread of all places, you were made to realize the implied values and worldview of your fiction would reflect on you as a person and carry a negative effect. It's funny because the show is in part about artists getting caught off-guard when their work turns out to have larger consequences on society as a whole.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

one of these hosts is going to make the other hosts freeze all of their motor functions by the end of this

I'm going to say it's you, Dolores

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"You can just regenerate your vagina after being raped!!"
-goon
"Why are you making fun of me as some kind of clueless edgelord and taking my arguments at face value instead of arguing my vaguely defined, amorphous points justifying torture?"
-the same goon

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Something I read pointed out that the hosts this season don't seem to rot. I think they used the lake scene as an example. The floating bodies look recognizable and not crazy bloated and rotting.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

having read all that, I'm glad I will always be too poor to gently caress a robot.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, now I really want there to be a WesterosWorld. Delores can invade and her and the Night King can just fight it out by killing dudes and bringing them back subservient.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Strange Aeon posted:

Has anyone watched Marjorie Prime? It goes over some similar ground about what makes someone human and has some neat takes on memory. Plus Jon Hamm, which is cool.

I checked up on Geena Davis since she is in the trailer and daaammmmn she is 62? She looks fine.

So John Hamm plays a Fassbender bot?

ElNarez posted:

I mean it is pretty funny that, in the Westworld thread of all places, you were made to realize the implied values and worldview of your fiction would reflect on you as a person and carry a negative effect. It's funny because the show is in part about artists getting caught off-guard when their work turns out to have larger consequences on society as a whole.

It's funny.

I am trying to make the point that saying degrading thing to a non-human object is not the same as saying it to a human person, who has dignity. I don't cuss out the Amazon speaker when it fucks up my order because cussing doesn't apply to a machine.

What large consequences are you talking about. At this point the show is just a horror show. The robots have very weak kill switch (freeze all motor function) and they can override it. They should have a few more local and global kill switches.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 6, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Geena Davis and Jon Hamm?? I'm way down.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Professor Shark posted:

The one thing I liked when catching up with the thread was the guy that posted about the Milk Man being brain-swapped, with his actions being uncharacteristic from the beach executions:

:tinfoil: host-swapping works and bernard on the beach is dolores :tinfoil:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

LentThem posted:

:tinfoil: host-swapping works and bernard on the beach is dolores :tinfoil:

It's Teddy duh

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
I'm hoping to see Ford's favorite host in the present, bonus points if it involves searching for the maze though its prolly too soon for that season 3 maybe. Oh its not Bernard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I mean, Maeve slits a dude's throat and he's fine 45 seconds later thanks to the healing toothbrush soooo... :shrug:

Cojawfee posted:

She nicked a vein or whatever. She didn't slice his whole neck open.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk