Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

Didn't the Gears series have political statements about the Iraq war buried in them somewhere?

cliffyb was a man with creative power over a game franchise who was very willing to write in his views on things that he got from other people

Rarity posted:

From all I've heard about CliffyB in the last year I can't understand how he ended up holding the reins for one of last-gens biggest AAA franchises.

he did some good maps for unreal once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dom's death in Gears of War 3 is still the funniest thing I've ever seen in a video game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Te5fcnrUA

GUI posted:

Dom's death in Gears of War 3 is still the funniest thing I've ever seen in a video game.

all around me are familiar faces

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 6, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cliffyb is a successful goon game dev

I never played gears of war, I remember hearing a long while back that in one of the games there was some easter egg thing where you can knock something off of an area in one level and find it again later in another level or something like that because you were below where you were to begin with. I think that was gears of war... Anybody know what I'm talking about?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I remember a guy at a place I worked at showing me his Gears of War arm tattoo (it was the cog symbol) and telling me how much it owned but how it went to poo poo once "they killed Dom."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cliffy B upon seeing the sales numbers for Lawbreakers

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GUI posted:

I remember a guy at a place I worked at showing me his Gears of War arm tattoo (it was the cog symbol) and telling me how much it owned but how it went to poo poo once "they killed Dom."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjY1WYB3We0

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FirstAidKite posted:

Cliffyb is a successful goon game dev

I never played gears of war, I remember hearing a long while back that in one of the games there was some easter egg thing where you can knock something off of an area in one level and find it again later in another level or something like that because you were below where you were to begin with. I think that was gears of war... Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I think I know what you're talking about. In Gears of War 1, there is a cutscene next to a bigass hole that the enemy locust use to emerge from the earth. One of the redshirts chucks some techno mcguffin down the hole because he thinks it is broken. Several chapaters later you are underground and you can find that techno mcguffin having tumbled down from the hole the redshirt chucked it in. I'm pretty sure its actually plot relevant since it turns out it contains a bunch of map data you need.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ah ok, that most definitely is what I was thinking of then. Thanks!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ended up buying and playing Star Traders: Frontiers on Steam for a few hours and I still have no idea wtf I'm doing, but I'm intrigued as hell by it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

Ended up buying and playing Star Traders: Frontiers on Steam for a few hours and I still have no idea wtf I'm doing, but I'm intrigued as hell by it

That game looks super cool. Does the Early Access feel like a full game or is it basically a paid beta?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

sturmwind ftw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've discovered the pleasure and pain of using a greatsword in Dark Souls 2...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cheetah7071 posted:

That game looks super cool. Does the Early Access feel like a full game or is it basically a paid beta?

outside the odd typo it feels very technically competent, if that's what you mean

as gameplay goes i can't answer because I'm still kinda overwhelmed, but that's more on my anti-sandbox nature than anything else

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anybody here fans of giallo? What is your favorite game that you could describe as giallo?

Giallo is basically a sorta weird exploitation horror style of film and giallo games definitely exist (clock tower for snes and any other horror game by that dude counts) but they tend to...idk, it's weird. I was reading a conversation in the CineD horror thread about giallo and people described it as almost being like a stoner horror film. What would you say your favorite giallo game is, or at least name a game that you think can be described as giallo.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, heaps. How many players are you talking about, and what kind of things do they like?

Also when you say "these days" do you mean stuff released in the past few years only?

Oh, I was just wondering rather than trying to come up with anything concrete, I get my board game news from guys at work who don't have wives and kids so have plenty of time to play long games so I was wondering if quicker games were dying out as they target the hardcore market.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Anybody here fans of giallo? What is your favorite game that you could describe as giallo?

Giallo is basically a sorta weird exploitation horror style of film and giallo games definitely exist (clock tower for snes and any other horror game by that dude counts) but they tend to...idk, it's weird. I was reading a conversation in the CineD horror thread about giallo and people described it as almost being like a stoner horror film. What would you say your favorite giallo game is, or at least name a game that you think can be described as giallo.

Sleeping Dogs

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh! You said giallo, whoops

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

giallo is weird violent stuff but also detective stuff. so does this count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGUB-5nxlMw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Idk, I never played it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

When I think of giallo I think of some kind of exploitation slasher noir film and I don't think I can really recall any videogames like that. They're not really straight horror films.

Maybe Condemned?

e: I guess there's always Heavy Rain, hah

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 6, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd consider illbleed to be pretty giallo-esque.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh, I was just wondering rather than trying to come up with anything concrete, I get my board game news from guys at work who don't have wives and kids so have plenty of time to play long games so I was wondering if quicker games were dying out as they target the hardcore market.

Kickstarter's been great for that set but the industry as a whole is growing massively and that's happening because people are getting into things like Carcassonne and Splendor and (more recently) Codenames and Azul and Sagrada.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

giallo is weird violent stuff but also detective stuff. so does this count?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGUB-5nxlMw
I played the Jack the Ripper game in this series and it was loving bonkers.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Kickstarter's been great for that set but the industry as a whole is growing massively and that's happening because people are getting into things like Carcassonne and Splendor and (more recently) Codenames and Azul and Sagrada.

Nice!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Normal brain: greatsword swings toward enemy you have targeted

Galaxy brain: greatsword swings in seemingly random direction based on facing, movement speed, wrist angle, humidity, factors unknown

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium posted:

hello onion games, for whom the chulip/little king's story guy works, and also who are the devs of the smash mobile hit Million Onion Hotel and the also good game Dandy Dungeon, are making a game for the Switch and pc called Black Bird. thank you for your time

some early screenies making the rounds.....

#wow #whao #bold

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How does a game as silly as Xenoblade 2 have music this loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma6XlGC-36o

Like, this is legitimately a really good choral piece and it's background music for a snow town. Yasunori Mitsuda knocked it out of the goddamn park with this game's soundtrack.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk if you've reach Tantal yet but it's got some of my favorite music of last year

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Idk if you've reach Tantal yet but it's got some of my favorite music of last year

Yeah, everything in Tantal has amazing music. I just finished the story and now I'm doing superboss stuff, but I think the music's what's really gonna stick with me.

Every time I go to Fonsett Island I have to stop and listen to the music for a bit, too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

oddium posted:

some early screenies making the rounds.....

#wow #whao #bold

https://twitter.com/oniongames/status/974616326659452929

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah, everything in Tantal has amazing music. I just finished the story and now I'm doing superboss stuff, but I think the music's what's really gonna stick with me.

Every time I go to Fonsett Island I have to stop and listen to the music for a bit, too.

I did the same with mor Adrain, I would always be sure to stick around for least a full loop of the Day theme if I was doing something there

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

XC2 is a really good game and I feel bad for initially dismissing it for its silly character designs. It’s really fun.

Gonna have to try XC1 soon. I know the combat is really different (more emphasis on positioning and less on timing, I think?) but I want more Xenoblade drat it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hum hum

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

An insanely specific fig
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/993153949430624257?s=19

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Why else would it be 60% off

Although I really like the aesthetic of blocky 3D character figure. If they did a line of Mega Man Legends I would buy it immediately.

Speaking of insanely specific figures, Mega Man Volnutt "bad" armor where it's colored dark blue.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

New Labo kits lookin good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

This is dope and I just bought one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

XC2 is a really good game and I feel bad for initially dismissing it for its silly character designs. It’s really fun.

Gonna have to try XC1 soon. I know the combat is really different (more emphasis on positioning and less on timing, I think?) but I want more Xenoblade drat it.

In 1 the combat mainly is waiting for cooldowns so you can do the move that makes the AI complete the topple combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

univbee posted:

New Labo kits lookin good

Is Labo doing well

everything I've seen of it looks extremely cool to me but I could see it not selling at all

• Locked thread