Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

- Hearth Orlan Cipher
or
- Fire Godlike Monk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Blockhouse posted:

Okay, the only way to decide which of my many many many PoE 1 characters I'm going to bring into 2 is to just post in the thread and have you people tell me what to do so I don't have to make decisions at all. Should I start with:

- Wood Elf Ranger
- Pale Elf Rogue
- Hearth Orlan Cipher
- Death Godlike Paladin
- Fire Godlike Monk

I intend to basically remake them and keep their primary class and then multiclassing them into whatever seems good.

Wood Elf Ranger/Rogue (sharpshooter/assassin) IMO. Ultimate ranged glass cannon. Open with an arquebus shot from stealth and absolutely demolish something then switch to pistols or a war bow or something. Actually that sounds like a really fun build and I might use it when I import my rogue save.

(thoughts on the rest of the list:
Pale Elf Rogue: multi with paladin or barbarian I guess? idk. Pale Elves are cool, though.
Hearth Orlan Cipher: go back to Dunryd Row, cop.
Death Godlike Paladin: 2edgy4me (don't lie, it's obviously a bleak walker)
Fire Godlike Monk: solid, but I'm at a loss for multiclass ideas.)

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

wew lad pt.2

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blockhouse posted:

Okay, the only way to decide which of my many many many PoE 1 characters I'm going to bring into 2 is to just post in the thread and have you people tell me what to do so I don't have to make decisions at all. Should I start with:

- Wood Elf Ranger
- Pale Elf Rogue
- Hearth Orlan Cipher
- Death Godlike Paladin
- Fire Godlike Monk

I intend to basically remake them and keep their primary class and then multiclassing them into whatever seems good.

ALWAYS CIPHER

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Walrus Pete posted:

Death Godlike Paladin: 2edgy4me (don't lie, it's obviously a bleak walker)

His name is Mezzasalma and he's a Darcozzi thank you very much :colbert:

Thanks for the recommendations y'all

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 6, 2018

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
It may sound odd but one of the only things I care about being able to choose (given that I have no save to import) is that The Master Below was allowed to possess and leave Caed Nua in the body of Falanroed, the dragon-hunter because that feels like something which should have consequences. I wonder if the game reflects a 'be nice to all dragons' thing. Hm.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The only dragon I kinda felt bad about killing was the Sky Dragon but drat if you didn't want humans to bother you, maybe not do a first strike attack on them? I also didn't kill the bog dragons since that person didn't seem particularly evil.

The real troll would have been revealing non-possessed Falanroed would be a companion/sidekick, which I think would still have been pretty cool.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
holy poo poo I can't believe this is coming out in a few days :supaburn:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dat drama

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

wew lad pt.2

I am worried about Avellone and hope he reevaluates his current ongoing choices before it does lasting damage.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The one thing in the OP that speaks to me is less load-times. Seriously this is one quest with 11 loading screens because it's spread across so many maps: "Rogue Knight" Dozens-Copperlane-First Fires-Crucible-First Fires-Brackenbury-Dunryd Row-Second Floor-Dunryd Row-Brackenbury-Copperlane-Dozens.

What influenced my choice in a quest in POE1 wasn't the morality of my options like New Vegas, but rather taking which option that had the least amounting of waiting.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The one thing in the OP that speaks to me is less load-times. Seriously this is one quest with 11 loading screens because it's spread across so many maps: "Rogue Knight" Dozens-Copperlane-First Fires-Crucible-First Fires-Brackenbury-Dunryd Row-Second Floor-Dunryd Row-Brackenbury-Copperlane-Dozens.

What influenced my choice in a quest in POE1 wasn't the morality of my options like New Vegas, but rather taking which option that had the least amounting of waiting.

You'll be even happier then because the game also allows you to directly travel to major sub locations in city maps. So as one example you could go straight to the Crucible Keep skipping your walk through First Fires.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

wew lad pt.2

Someone should call him out for posting on a internet forum where a homophobic slur, in 2018, is an acceptable thing.

Chris Avellone, Industry Professional, A-okay with homophobia. Good message, Chris.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

homophobic slurs are the least of RPG Codex's problems, trust me

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So what's going on, can I get a cliffnotes on the drama?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Iymarra posted:

I wonder if the game reflects a 'be nice to all dragons' thing. Hm.

But all the dragons but the Sky Dragon are verifiable arseholes. I suppose the ones with Llengrath are okay, but you can’t kill Llengrath without fighting them, so unfortunately they’re damned by association.

Some dragons just need slaying.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

tithin posted:

The workers of Obsidian should unite and overthrow the corrupt and incompetent upper management of the company

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ropekid has been pushing for unionisation.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

CottonWolf posted:

They wouldn't be made out of such rare and valuable enchanting materials if they didn't want to be killed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CottonWolf posted:

But all the dragons but the Sky Dragon are verifiable arseholes. I suppose the ones with Llengrath are okay, but you can’t kill Llengrath without fighting them, so unfortunately they’re damned by association.

Llengrath seems ok to be honest

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

tithin posted:

After keeping his mouth mostly shut and only doing the occasional mudslinging at the "upper management" at Obsidian for three years, Avellone suddenly decided to open floodgates and fling poo poo at pretty much everyone he ever worked with at Obsidian.
The fact that he's started doing this now, right before PoE2 launches, and when there's Pathfinder: Kingmaker (an isometric RPG which he worked on) coming out later this year is surely a pure coincidence. Also note that he has yet to take any responsibility himself for whatever problems there were. In every single post he made it's always someone else's fault.
Even if the stuff Avellone's saying has a core of truth to it, his posts are exaggerated, distorted and one-sided. So basically all we really found out is that Avellone is an rear end in a top hat. Which really we already kind of knew, just not that he was this big of an rear end in a top hat.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 6, 2018

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

2house2fly posted:

Llengrath seems ok to be honest

I decided she had to die as soon as I saw the “improving” people by involuntary brainwashing thing her cult was doing.

E: In the Fantasy Hierarchy of Dick Moves, mind control is much higher than murder. Murder's just par for the course.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 6, 2018

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Raygereio posted:

After keeping his mouth mostly shut and only doing the occasional mudslinging at the "upper management" at Obsidian for three years, Avellone suddenly decided to open floodgates and fling poo poo at pretty much everyone he ever worked with at Obsidian.
The fact that he's started doing this now, right before PoE2 launches, and when there's Pathfinder: Kingmaker (an isometric RPG which he worked on) coming out later this year is surely a pure coincidence. Also note that he has yet to take any responsibility himself for whatever problems there were. In every single post he made it's always someone else's fault.
Even if the stuff Avellone's saying has a core of truth to it, his posts are exaggerated, distorted and one-sided. So basically all we really found out is that Avellone is an rear end in a top hat. Which really we already kind of knew, just not that he was this big of an rear end in a top hat.

Also worth pointing out that he's doing this on RPGCodex, where (almost) everybody seems to either adore or worship him. It's also a forum that is a-okay with the use of slurs and open racism.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To really get the ambience of that thread across, I should point out that it periodically devolves into arguments about the merits, or lack thereof, of communism

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Raygereio posted:

Avellone suddenly decided to open floodgates and fling poo poo at pretty much everyone he ever worked with at Obsidian.

Just the other owners, really. And poor Eric Fenstermaker for some reason.

quote:

It's also a forum that is a-okay with the use of slurs and open racism

Hey, now. They're just "free thinkers". :hitler:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kith posted:

I'm extremely sad that Blunderbusses lost access to the Penetrating Shot modal. It was easily their best talent and an enormous force multiplier.

The whole way penetration works changed anyway so this isn't as big a deal as it might seem.

Lack of access to gunner and marksman passives for non-rangers is a bigger issue.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"Absolutely publically poo poo talks the teams and devs he worked with" is a great thing to have on your resume.

Who the gently caress would feel comfortable working with him after this?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Blockhouse posted:

- Wood Elf Ranger
- Pale Elf Rogue
- Hearth Orlan Cipher
- Death Godlike Paladin
- Fire Godlike Monk

Without knowing how much micromanagement you want and which companions you'll keep around: go with the Ranger because you can use the animal companion in dialogue now and it's great.

Avalerion posted:

- Hearth Orlan Cipher
or
- Fire Godlike Monk
Both are decently powerful but not really top shelf imo and have some of the more interesting subclasses. The Monk also has the Nalpazca which seems to have made it through the beta unscathed somehow, meaning it's busted and will always have maxed out Wounds as long as you keep some Svef around. So if you just want to break the game a little before the inevitable balance patches that's not a bad option.

I think the answer might be to take the Orlan so you aren't locked out of the best pirate hats and multiclass it with Shattered Pillar.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
chris saw what kanye was doing and thought, yes

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, trying to pull the convo back from 'why is everybody who has ever achieved even a small bit of power in life a complete fuckshit'

Any knowledge on new Soulbound stuff?
Is my level going to get adjusted when I transfer my Paladin?
Because I'm starting to build momentum again and I just might finally beat PoE/WM in time to actually buy the game the day it comes out.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You start at level one and get to re-pick everything. Should put that in the OP - or maybe even the thread title. :D

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

frajaq posted:

The workers of Obsidian should unite and overthrow the corrupt and incompetent upper management of the company

It seems to me that by "upper management" MCA really means "Feargus Urquhart".

E: and maybe he's using the generic term so that he can be sued for slander.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

He was complaining about the other owners too.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm thinking of doing a Darcozzi/Soul Blade for my first run. With Soul Blade mostly focusing on damaging powers (since those seem to have fast cast times and the other party members I plan on bringing can handle status effects).
For those who played the backer beta, any tips or stuff to pay attention to?

Furism posted:

It seems to me that by "upper management" MCA really means "Feargus Urquhart".
E: and maybe he's using the generic term so that he can be sued for slander.
I think everyone thought that before when Avellone was talking "upper management", mostly because Urquhart is the only one that's really visible of OEI's founders. But now Avellone has started going after Urquhart, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan & Chris Jones directly by name.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm reading some of the abilities from Cohh's stream and...

they nerfed Paladin auras hard????? :negative:

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Im gonna make my PC a rogue/cipher. I'm gonna go with beguiler but what rogue subclass works best? Stealth seems poor so assassin is out. And the trickster downside seems too much. Street fighter seems ok? Am I missing anything?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
How's the writing in PoE2? PoE's merciless mountains of exposition and worldbuilding history got grating barely an hour or two into the game. I was much more a fan of Tyranny. Any indication as to how PoE2 is turning out?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

adamarama posted:

Im gonna make my PC a rogue/cipher. I'm gonna go with beguiler but what rogue subclass works best? Stealth seems poor so assassin is out. And the trickster downside seems too much. Street fighter seems ok? Am I missing anything?

Pairing with Cipher, I'd go Assassin if ranged or no subclass if melee. Cipher and rogue are both inherently squishy so I don't think a Streetfighter is a great idea there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Milky Moor posted:

How's the writing in PoE2?

Thirsty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

How's the writing in PoE2? PoE's merciless mountains of exposition and worldbuilding history got grating barely an hour or two into the game. I was much more a fan of Tyranny. Any indication as to how PoE2 is turning out?

Significantly easier to sit through due to full VA for dialogue.