Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
In the original ballads Robin Hood is less stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, but stealing from the everybody except making a few exceptions for poorer people and giving it to his friends.

Also there is the time they need to break Robin Hood out of jail and the gang disguises themselves as like the king's messengers and manage to sneak in. But then like, kill the guards anyway for some reason. Everyone is a lot more amoral in general.

Also Richard isn't even the King.

There are some good episodes of Our Fake History about this, I recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That Blomkamp Robin Hood should star Jeremy Renner just for the heck of it.

DLC Inc posted:

when will studios learn that nobody gives a gently caress about Robin Hood or the terrible attempts to make it dark and grim as gently caress

That movie doesn’t seem to be dark or very grim at all. The premise might be, but they’re presenting Robin like he’s a modern superhero who make quips.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

There are some good episodes of Our Fake History about this, I recommend them.

Easily one of the best history podcasts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

All history is fake.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People aren't reliable to tell an accurate story they all agree on five minutes after an event.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm just saying, there's a difference between 'history' and 'the past'.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, I don't exactly know what's worse, this or a $200 million Russel Crow flop, but one of them needs to tie into the recent King Arthur for Cinematic Universe appeal.

The script was originally written by Joby Harold, WB's King Arthur: Legend of the Sword writer. Lionsgate must have shat their pants when WB's King Arthur: LotS bombed so hard because this is so obviously in the same vein, right down to getting a British gangster director guy to helm it.

Kassad posted:

Robin Hood: Bruce Wayne meets Legolas.

Yeah when I saw the trailer I went "This isn't a Robin Hood film, it's Zorro with bows"

feedmyleg posted:

Well I give a poo poo about Robin Hood. As long as you make him a breezy, swashbuckling adventurer with an Eroll Flynn smile amd stay the gently caress away from darkness.

They've been very careful to assure people every chance they get that this will be nothing like those Errol Flynn movies:

quote:

Jamie Foxx had a clear message for the nation’s theater owners Thursday: his upcoming “Robin Hood” movie is plenty serious.

“There are no tights,” he asserted to the crowd at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas. “This is grown-man business.”

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 4, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Literally the biggest movie franchise on the planet for the past ten years has been about men in tights being not grim and edgy. Who are all these people he thinks don't want that?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Especially since the best one is called Men in Tights

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
https://youtu.be/h1sLHvmKAkM

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

morestuff posted:

My brain inserts this after every one of this dude's tricks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3sOOBicyDY

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Literally the biggest movie franchise on the planet for the past ten years has been about men in tights being not grim and edgy. Who are all these people he thinks don't want that?

Yeah, but those movies suck rear end so I can understand some level of cognitive dissonance.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
"Biggest movie franchise" + "but those movies suck rear end!!!" = there's your cognitive dissonance

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That's the point? :shrug:

So, tautology, I guess.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 5, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

actually, the common taste is by definition common, so there mr wandle

i only watch movies that are the movie primer by shane carruth, unironically

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sorry, just call it like I see it. They poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I suppose, but then, not everyone is a pretentious bore with a stick up their rear end that really needs everyone in the world to know how woke they are when it comes to popular entertainment.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
superhero movies are mostly terrible even black panther, you can't really rate them on the same scale as movies, you have to rate them on their own scale of super hero movies because otherwise they'd all be like a 1 to 3 on a 0 to 5 scale

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Really I just wonder if 2300 years ago there were people bitching about the newest Hercules play

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The most popular sport in America is the one with all the players in tights. Superheroes are all the rage. Yoga pants, jeggings, and skinny jeans are ubiquitous. Tights have never been more popular!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sorry, just call it like I see it. They poo poo.

i have no doubt that theyre awful but i havent seen one since ironman 2??

Byzantine posted:

Really I just wonder if 2300 years ago there were people bitching about the newest Hercules play

there most definitely were, why are you even wondering?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I suppose, but then, not everyone is a pretentious bore with a stick up their rear end that really needs everyone in the world to know how woke they are when it comes to popular entertainment.

That's me. The wokest.

Krankenstyle posted:

i have no doubt that theyre awful but i havent seen one since ironman 2??

Sorry, misinterpreted your post. I'm actually jealous of you.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

superhero movies are mostly terrible even black panther, you can't really rate them on the same scale as movies, you have to rate them on their own scale of super hero movies because otherwise they'd all be like a 1 to 3 on a 0 to 5 scale

I usually do a separate scale, otherwise I'd feel like I'm outright disrespecting all the industry technicians, etc that works so hard on them.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 5, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Byzantine posted:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I guess if you didn't enjoy comics you wouldn't enjoy a comic book movie. They ain't poo poo, some you just don't enjoy FUN.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I guess if you didn't enjoy comics you wouldn't enjoy a comic book movie. They ain't poo poo, some you just don't enjoy FUN.

I collected comics during my youth in the 90s when all the crossover stuff was going on. While it's interesting to me that Marvel finally found a way to milk the cow of the crossover strategy with a broader customer base...the ideas that even the bronze age comics regularly explored through colorful characters were quite a bit more interesting than the formulaic agitprop the MCU brings to the table.

If I want FUN I'll play a videogame.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i actually love comics, even really lovely bad ones.

but there needs to be a stake, and american superheroes have no danger to them. they die and get resurrected all the time, and the random common man is also killed, this time in a freak sky scraper accident, all the time.

who's got time for that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I collected comics during my youth in the 90s when all the crossover stuff was going on. While it's interesting to me that Marvel finally found a way to milk the cow of the crossover strategy with a broader customer base...the ideas that even the bronze age comics regularly explored through colorful characters were quite a bit more interesting than the formulaic agitprop the MCU brings to the table.

If I want FUN I'll play a videogame.

video games are super boring.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

Nah.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

i actually love comics, even really lovely bad ones.

but there needs to be a stake, and american superheroes have no danger to them. they die and get resurrected all the time, and the random common man is also killed, this time in a freak sky scraper accident, all the time.

who's got time for that.

Now you’re making me want a series based on Invinvible. STARZ is probably the best fit given how violent it is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Great fuckin' trailers you're posting here, guys.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Vagabundo posted:

Great fuckin' trailers you're posting here, guys.

:pram:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Paul Rudd in a serious spy thriller?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkH-MHBItdQ

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It got pretty mediocre reviews out of the festivals. Might still catch it, Rudd is always charming.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Man maybe I'm losing it but the latest Soldado trailer makes it look kinda good.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man maybe I'm losing it but the latest Soldado trailer makes it look kinda good.

I saw the very first teaser and I’m avoiding anything else. I know I’m going to go see it the second it’s out.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRP2yYJF_GI

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I guess if you didn't enjoy comics you wouldn't enjoy a comic book movie.

Pretty sure basic math disproves this.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I can feel the comments section on that video from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXg2_yExgVY

we're back